• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Chalking up debt to send children to school

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
S'pore mum who had only secondary school education is $60,000 in debt after pouring income into raising and educating her six children - See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-ne...cial&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1468201579

She is $60,000 in debt and has to work two jobs, just so she can send her six children to school.

In hope of a better life for them, the 54-year-old woman, Anna (not her real name), puts almost every cent she earns into her children's education.

She spends up to 16 hours a day, five days a week, working as a full-time cleaning supervisor, and another eight hours on her days off working part-time in a kitchen.

This allows her to take home about $3,300 a month, while her 55-year-old technician husband brings home about $1,900.

Yet their salaries have not been enough to cover their children's expenses and send them to school, resulting in them having chalked up $60,000 in debt from bank loans.

ROOF

There are various bursaries and assistance schemes available, but Anna said she does not apply for them as she feels others need them more.

"At least we have a roof over our head and can work," she said.

"There are others who don't even have a home or who are disabled who need the help more."

Anna herself stopped studying after secondary school, but she hopes that her children pursue further education.

"I want to raise them up to have a better life than mine, and so, education is important," she said.

"I don't want them to make the same mistakes I did, not studying when they can."

The story of parents sinking all their money into their children is a common one. (See report at left.)

But unlike the average family, the couple have six children, and work to support all but one, a daughter, who has married and moved out.

That daughter, 29, stopped studying after her O levels and is now financially independent.

But four of Anna's children took the polytechnic route, each costing her about $20,000 for their three-year course.

Anna did not use money from her Central Provident Fund (CPF) for their education as she is using it to pay for their four-room flat.

Her husband used his for their education, but even then it was not enough.

Her 23-year-old son and 19-year-old daughter have completed their polytechnic education, while two of her other sons, aged 21 and 22, are still studying in a polytechnic.

Her youngest son is 16 and she hopes that he, too, will continue his studies after secondary school.

STRUGGLE

But money continues to be a problem. Before 2014, Anna and her husband had to carry the financial burden alone, struggling to make ends meet.

The couple ate all their meals at home, choosing to split whatever little money they had left among their children.

"We couldn't afford to eat outside, but our children had to eat in school," she said.

"They were each given $5 a day, even when studying in poly, because that's all we had."

She added that the family was also very careful when using utilities at home.

"We had to take money from relatives to even have electricity for lights," she said.

"There were times that we didn't have money to even top up the gas to cook."

The financial burden Anna carried almost caused her to break down, but then she found out about Credit Counselling Singapore (CCS).

"I thought, I'm on my own in this, that nobody can help me," she said.

"Then I happened to watch a programme on television which said I could call CCS."

Anna approached CCS in 2014 and they negotiated with the bank on her behalf, coming up with a plan for her to pay back the debt.

She said the plan drawn up by CCS has helped her greatly and she should be able to settle her debt within five years.

But if her children make it to university, she would not hesitate taking another loan and accumulating more debt.

"I would do the same thing and live with the debt. It's very important for them to get an education," she said.

"I prefer to be poor myself and my children get good jobs. If they can go to university, we'll work something out so they can go."

Anna does not expect her children to pay her back for their education fees and only hopes they go on to be successful and contributing members of society.

"I want them to have better lives, to be independent," she said.

"If they give me money each month next time, then good. But if they don't, I'm happy just to know that they can survive on their own."

She added that her dream was always to own her own food stall, but it has to be put aside for now.

"No matter how hard it is, I have to continue doing what I'm doing now, just so I can settle the debt and my children," she said.

"It really isn't easy at times, but I tell myself that at least I still have my two hands, and so I can work and hopefully make a better life for them."

More parents 
going into debt 
for kids' education

More people are getting into debt because of education.

Credit Counselling Singapore (CCS) figures obtained by The New Paper show that last year, 579 cited this reason as to why they got into debt.

This is nearly double that of the year before.

Education is a top priority for Singaporeans, saidCCS general manager Tan Huey Min.

"There are so many private education institutions, from enrichment classes for young children to tertiary degrees, set up in the past years," she told TNP.

"It is common to hear parents spending thousands of dollars per month to send their children to expensive kindergarten or enrichment classes and that people have taken study loans."

This ties in with a Value of Education survey series by global bank HSBC.

It asked more than 6,200 parents across 13 countries - including 395 parents from Singapore - as well as Hong Kong and Taiwan, about their ambitions and concerns regarding their children's education, reported The Straits Times.

The survey found that parents here spend an average of $21,000 a year on their child's university education, with 52 per cent willing to go into debt to fund their child's university or college education.

"Singaporeans are placing their children's education at the top of their financial pyramid, often at the expense of other financial commitments and ambitions," said the HSBC report released last month.

Ms Tan warned that without careful financial planning, it is easy to end up with overwhelming debt.

Here is her advice for those intending to invest in further education:

FOR PARENTS

Before signing your children up for any enrichment classes or deciding where to send your child for further education, ensure that the overall expenses needed to be paid each month - such as food, transportation, utilities - is within the income taken home.

Otherwise, you would be incurring debt while sending your children for classes or further studies, and if this situation is left unnoticed, it will lead to a debt problem.

FOR YOUNG ADULTS

Before deciding where to study, have a discussion with your parents about their financial capabilities and do not make your parents feel guilty if they cannot afford to send you overseas.

FOR WORKING ADULTS

Use the correct loan product (such as a study loan) to pay your tuition fees, and make sure your loan instalment is within your capacity to service.

If possible, save part of, if not the whole amount, before enrolling in the course.

Better still, research and apply for scholarships and grants.

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-ne...cial&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1468201579

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
If cant afford dont get married and dont hve Kids.

The PAP will be pleased to hear such stories as these are the very typical Sinkies that will vote em into power every erection, thinking the PAP will help em.
I will not pour my sympathy to em, they deserve wats coming for believing every word tat the PAP has been drumming into their skull for the past 50 yrs, education, housing, medical and health care, and welfare.

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
who did she vote for?PAP spend in tune of billions over the decade to provide free scholarship,with housing acomonodation,plus monthly allowance to tertiary non sinkies... local sinkies are footing the bill....天无眼。。。。

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
If cant afford dont get married and dont hve Kids.

The PAP will be pleased to hear such stories as these are the very typical Sinkies that will vote em into power every erection, thinking the PAP will help em.
I will not pour my sympathy to em, they deserve wats coming for believing every word tat the PAP has been drumming into their skull for the past 50 yrs, education, housing, medical and health care, and welfare.

Bullshit lah. What do you expect them to do? PAP tells them to breed as much as possible to replace our zero or negative birth rate. Also gives them a lot of benefits and money for the extra children. $8000 to $10,000 for each baby. So, they do as they are told and that's the way the PAP wants. While raising their kids, its not their fault the greedy MOE and polys end up increasing their school fees until like that. How could they foresee that it would be so expensive 19 years from the date they give birth? It should be free to sinkies. I think this article says she spends $20,000 per kid in poly? that's fucking ridiculous. How is this her fault?

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
S'pore mum who had only secondary school education is $60,000 in debt after pouring income into raising and educating her six children - See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-ne...cial&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1468201579

She is $60,000 in debt and has to work two jobs, just so she can send her six children to school.

In hope of a better life for them, the 54-year-old woman, Anna (not her real name), puts almost every cent she earns into her children's education.

She spends up to 16 hours a day, five days a week, working as a full-time cleaning supervisor, and another eight hours on her days off working part-time in a kitchen.

This allows her to take home about $3,300 a month, while her 55-year-old technician husband brings home about $1,900.

Yet their salaries have not been enough to cover their children's expenses and send them to school, resulting in them having chalked up $60,000 in debt from bank loans.

ROOF

There are various bursaries and assistance schemes available, but Anna said she does not apply for them as she feels others need them more.

"At least we have a roof over our head and can work," she said.

"There are others who don't even have a home or who are disabled who need the help more."

Anna herself stopped studying after secondary school, but she hopes that her children pursue further education.

"I want to raise them up to have a better life than mine, and so, education is important," she said.

"I don't want them to make the same mistakes I did, not studying when they can."

The story of parents sinking all their money into their children is a common one. (See report at left.)

But unlike the average family, the couple have six children, and work to support all but one, a daughter, who has married and moved out.

That daughter, 29, stopped studying after her O levels and is now financially independent.

But four of Anna's children took the polytechnic route, each costing her about $20,000 for their three-year course.

Anna did not use money from her Central Provident Fund (CPF) for their education as she is using it to pay for their four-room flat.

Her husband used his for their education, but even then it was not enough.

Her 23-year-old son and 19-year-old daughter have completed their polytechnic education, while two of her other sons, aged 21 and 22, are still studying in a polytechnic.

Her youngest son is 16 and she hopes that he, too, will continue his studies after secondary school.

STRUGGLE

But money continues to be a problem. Before 2014, Anna and her husband had to carry the financial burden alone, struggling to make ends meet.

The couple ate all their meals at home, choosing to split whatever little money they had left among their children.

"We couldn't afford to eat outside, but our children had to eat in school," she said.

"They were each given $5 a day, even when studying in poly, because that's all we had."

She added that the family was also very careful when using utilities at home.

"We had to take money from relatives to even have electricity for lights," she said.

"There were times that we didn't have money to even top up the gas to cook."

The financial burden Anna carried almost caused her to break down, but then she found out about Credit Counselling Singapore (CCS).

"I thought, I'm on my own in this, that nobody can help me," she said.

"Then I happened to watch a programme on television which said I could call CCS."

Anna approached CCS in 2014 and they negotiated with the bank on her behalf, coming up with a plan for her to pay back the debt.

She said the plan drawn up by CCS has helped her greatly and she should be able to settle her debt within five years.

But if her children make it to university, she would not hesitate taking another loan and accumulating more debt.

"I would do the same thing and live with the debt. It's very important for them to get an education," she said.

"I prefer to be poor myself and my children get good jobs. If they can go to university, we'll work something out so they can go."

Anna does not expect her children to pay her back for their education fees and only hopes they go on to be successful and contributing members of society.

"I want them to have better lives, to be independent," she said.

"If they give me money each month next time, then good. But if they don't, I'm happy just to know that they can survive on their own."

She added that her dream was always to own her own food stall, but it has to be put aside for now.

"No matter how hard it is, I have to continue doing what I'm doing now, just so I can settle the debt and my children," she said.

"It really isn't easy at times, but I tell myself that at least I still have my two hands, and so I can work and hopefully make a better life for them."

More parents 
going into debt 
for kids' education

More people are getting into debt because of education.

Credit Counselling Singapore (CCS) figures obtained by The New Paper show that last year, 579 cited this reason as to why they got into debt.

This is nearly double that of the year before.

Education is a top priority for Singaporeans, saidCCS general manager Tan Huey Min.

"There are so many private education institutions, from enrichment classes for young children to tertiary degrees, set up in the past years," she told TNP.

"It is common to hear parents spending thousands of dollars per month to send their children to expensive kindergarten or enrichment classes and that people have taken study loans."

This ties in with a Value of Education survey series by global bank HSBC.

It asked more than 6,200 parents across 13 countries - including 395 parents from Singapore - as well as Hong Kong and Taiwan, about their ambitions and concerns regarding their children's education, reported The Straits Times.

The survey found that parents here spend an average of $21,000 a year on their child's university education, with 52 per cent willing to go into debt to fund their child's university or college education.

"Singaporeans are placing their children's education at the top of their financial pyramid, often at the expense of other financial commitments and ambitions," said the HSBC report released last month.

Ms Tan warned that without careful financial planning, it is easy to end up with overwhelming debt.

Here is her advice for those intending to invest in further education:

FOR PARENTS

Before signing your children up for any enrichment classes or deciding where to send your child for further education, ensure that the overall expenses needed to be paid each month - such as food, transportation, utilities - is within the income taken home.

Otherwise, you would be incurring debt while sending your children for classes or further studies, and if this situation is left unnoticed, it will lead to a debt problem.

FOR YOUNG ADULTS

Before deciding where to study, have a discussion with your parents about their financial capabilities and do not make your parents feel guilty if they cannot afford to send you overseas.

FOR WORKING ADULTS

Use the correct loan product (such as a study loan) to pay your tuition fees, and make sure your loan instalment is within your capacity to service.

If possible, save part of, if not the whole amount, before enrolling in the course.

Better still, research and apply for scholarships and grants.

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-ne...cial&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1468201579

Asian parents tends to take it upon themselves to provide and pay for the education of their children themselves, as compared to say, in Anerica, where taking student loans is more of a norm, by the student, especially for college/university degree.

While generally nowadays in Singapore, the student loans are interest free during the period of the course. And will start paying for the loans I recall 3 to 6 months after graduation and the interest will start to kick in, though the rates here are at 2.8% if I am not wrong, whereas in the US, it's a punishing 6.8%.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bullshit lah. What do you expect them to do? PAP tells them to breed as much as possible to replace our zero or negative birth rate. Also gives them a lot of benefits and money for the extra children. $8000 to $10,000 for each baby. So, they do as they are told and that's the way the PAP wants. While raising their kids, its not their fault the greedy MOE and polys end up increasing their school fees until like that. How could they foresee that it would be so expensive 19 years from the date they give birth? It should be free to sinkies. I think this article says she spends $20,000 per kid in poly? that's fucking ridiculous. How is this her fault?

Here, they say when PAP give u a free roasted chicken wing to eat u better be wary! Cos next they expect u to ret the wing for a whole chicken. Sinkies aft 50 yrs still hoping a Sincere PAP, the 70% can keep on waiting till dooms day.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This story does not add up. And they went to Poly. And they have a 29 year old daughter. Again poor reporting.

I know of families that downgraded their HDB flat and sent their kids to do medicine and dentistry overseas. Not well off but credit to the parents for going all out for their capable kids.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what does she think a poly education will do for her kids nowadays?if ur kids arent naturally gifted dont even bother educating them.wtf she think this is?the 90s where a poly cert is considered pretty good?with today's competition,a poly cert is literally considered toilet paper,the bare minimum of educated.whats the point of educating six kids if they are all mediocre?if one or two of them showed some potential PSLE 250,260 plus,made it to a decent sec school and showed some potential of making it to a half decent jc and then UNI,maybe can consider funding their education.the rest should jolly well take out loans on their own and work it off.mediocre peasants should pay for their own mediocre education.for them education is not a necessity,its a luxury.when u invest in mediocre investments u get mediocre returns.better the money be spend on educating a genius tiong or shitskin that can grace all Uni papers with ease.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
what does she think a poly education will do for her kids nowadays?if ur kids arent naturally gifted dont even bother educating them.wtf she think this is?the 90s where a poly cert is considered pretty good?with today's competition,a poly cert is literally considered toilet paper,the bare minimum of educated.whats the point of educating six kids if they are all mediocre?if one or two of them showed some potential PSLE 250,260 plus,made it to a decent sec school and showed some potential of making it to a half decent jc and then UNI,maybe can consider funding their education.the rest should jolly well take out loans on their own and work it off.mediocre peasants should pay for their own mediocre education.for them education is not a necessity,its a luxury.when u invest in mediocre investments u get mediocre returns.better the money be spend on educating a genius tiong or shitskin that can grace all Uni papers with ease.

Totally agree, wit a poly cert u dont even command minimum wage in the mkt. Why waste time, $$$ and allow tos Poly to earn ur $$$$$.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
now here is another dumb peasant who doesnt understand the difference between an asset and a liability.educating six mediocre peasants=massive liability.if u were smart in the first place u will make it in life regardless u were formally educated or not.for example li ka shing,self educated high school dropout,formally drop out,but far excelled his peers in egoistic self educating,while his peers were contented with what they have achieved in life,he craved knowledge and read deeply and voraciously,today he is richest man in asia.and li ka shing was born in the 1920s,back when education was a rarity most people were illiterate coolies and farmers,and libraries were centers of knowledge.in a world where knowledge was as barren as a desert,Li ka shing grew to become number one capitalist in the world.if u are a daft peasant in the 70s,80s,90s today and u dont understand this,most likely ur inferior coolie genes and u never will.extremely smart people will instinctively seek out knowledge on their own and forge their own paths and do great things in life.

now instead of educating her six daft peasant kids,the mom understood what she had to do instead,took all the money and debt she spent on educating her kids to poly and invested it instead in the SNP 500 in 1995 and let it compound,by the time her 29 year old daughter has finished poly and is financially independent and her sixteen year old is about to enter poly she would have been sitting on a pretty fortune of 340k instead of a liability of 60k debt,if she had averaged down aggressively during the two financial crisis,she could easily have reaped a fortune of 1 million or more.but no,stupid peasant is as peasant does,and the cycle of poverty goes on.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I felt ashame of myself after reading this. I need to do some deep thoughts now.
Respect the parents for going all the way to support their children. Whether they should or should not have so many children when they cannot afford is another matter.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
I felt ashame of myself after reading this. I need to do some deep thoughts now.
Respect the parents for going all the way to support their children. Whether they should or should not have so many children when they cannot afford is another matter.

why ashamed? because you never support your aging parents right?

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have a living statue job and yet I quit and cbl whereas this parent worked 16 hrs day .
Also I spent 1.5k on a handbag for nothing.
I need to do something now to make myself live more worthwhile.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Also I bet heavily on soccer whereby other people are so hard up for money. 罪过罪过. I'm more determine to quit gambling now. Thanks for your article.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a living statue job and yet I quit and cbl whereas this parent worked 16 hrs day .
Also I spent 1.5k on a handbag for nothing.
I need to do something now to make myself live more worthwhile.

you are not alone la. many are same like you.
some even worse, take money from old parents.

i see too many irresponsible people, so you are not the worst and terrible one.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
shes just a daft and stupid peasant on a martyrdom mission,maybe shes overcompensating or something,maybe she feels that people look down on her for being a inbred peasant for having so many children so shes trying to compensate by showing all her children are "educated" and not rat offsprings,she can apply for bursuries and scholarships but she doesnt,she thinks others deserves it more.these bursaries and scholaries are meant to help u daft peasants in the first place u daft moron,u r not going anywhere in life so might as well accept every bit of help u can get,u are not rich for christ sake so stuff ur peasant pride and ego somewhere else.maybe she is a sado masochists like many sinkies who seems to derive pleasure from pain,lets seem how much i can make myself suffer,lemme vote for PAP again.lots of these low iq peasants are illogical and retarded in their life philosophy and consistency.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you are not alone la. many are same like you.
some even worse, take money from old parents.

i see too many irresponsible people, so you are not the worst and terrible one.

Not sure about how unfilial a child can be .so far all my acquaintance are filial child including myself.
I will request to work more hours for my pt job and be a useful person to the society.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I spend a lot of money on my kids' education, including tuition and enrichment courses. It would all be worth it when they get PSC scholarships.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how does one take an education loan of $20k+ when studying full-time? which bank will lend? If put parent's names as guarantor, might as well ask parents to take the loan.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
shes just a daft and stupid peasant on a martyrdom mission,maybe shes overcompensating or something,maybe she feels that people look down on her for being a inbred peasant for having so many children so shes trying to compensate by showing all her children are "educated" and not rat offsprings,she can apply for bursuries and scholarships but she doesnt,she thinks others deserves it more.these bursaries and scholaries are meant to help u daft peasants in the first place u daft moron,u r not going anywhere in life so might as well accept every bit of help u can get,u are not rich for christ sake so stuff ur peasant pride and ego somewhere else.maybe she is a sado masochists like many sinkies who seems to derive pleasure from pain,lets seem how much i can make myself suffer,lemme vote for PAP again.lots of these low iq peasants are illogical and retarded in their life philosophy and consistency.

Do you have siblings or are you an only child?