• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat From the inside - LTA to be restructured

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
U mean the uniquely Sinkapore way not working meh? Own self check own self! Have your cake and eat it!

If the SG way is working, $2m a year ministers wont make so many mistakes and cause so much embarrassment to SG and misery to Singaporeans.

If the system is working:
1. Ministers will not praise Police Officers when they run away from their place of duty.
2. Flawed trains wont be covered up
3. NS guys wont be used as free or cheap labour
4. Foreigners wont be favoured over native Singaporeans
5. Foreigners who falsely declare educational qualifications will be hauled up and convicted
6. Ministers will be held responsible for mistakes under his watch and not be swept under the carpet
7. PM wont sue his citizens

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You should have learnt by now the most devastating terrorists are not the external ones but the ones in the PAP machinery. They will shock, awe and rip this place apart.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the SG way were working, the first foreign governments to copy it would be the PRC, India, Malaysia, etc...

I remember how in the past Sporeans would be sent overseas to learn the best practises of other countries, so they could copy & implement the system in Spore.

Nowadays the PAP are only interested in copying systems which they can make a profit:rolleyes:

rover2sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspect that it has to do with the operating culture that have evolved in the last 20 years or so. Creating and maintaining a cadre class of highly educated Mandarins became the end rather than the means. Posting were typically 2 to 3 years and the duration did not accommodate laying good foundations. Quick results caught hold.

Frankly I thought that the politics did not drive the agenda, the politics helped avoid accountability and responsibility when a mishap occurred. I remember ex Civil Service Head Lee Ek Tieng lamenting that unlike Hon, GKS, Barker etc, the subsequent generation leaders became super perm secs and got into the details rather than getting the Civi Service to do their work. And he named LHL as the first one to go into details. Again, the clarity on roles and responsibilities become blurred.

I agree that there is much more to come and much more at stake in LTA and MOT.

I am still bemused at the silence of Khaw Boon Wan.

Thorough support the view "Frankly I thought that the politics did not drive the agenda, the politics helped avoid accountability and responsibility when a mishap occurred. I remember ex Civil Service Head Lee Ek Tieng lamenting that unlike Hon, GKS, Barker etc, the subsequent generation leaders became super perm secs and got into the details rather than getting the Civi Service to do their work. And he named LHL as the first one to go into details. Again, the clarity on roles and responsibilities become blurred." I am also aware of this and we will be in greater mess if they continue likewise.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I understand that Khaw himself has not accepted the explanation put forward by the LTA. They are still digging.

I agree that there is much more to come and much more at stake in LTA and MOT.

I am still bemused at the silence of Khaw Boon Wan.

Thorough support the view "Frankly I thought that the politics did not drive the agenda, the politics helped avoid accountability and responsibility when a mishap occurred. I remember ex Civil Service Head Lee Ek Tieng lamenting that unlike Hon, GKS, Barker etc, the subsequent generation leaders became super perm secs and got into the details rather than getting the Civi Service to do their work. And he named LHL as the first one to go into details. Again, the clarity on roles and responsibilities become blurred." I am also aware of this and we will be in greater mess if they continue likewise.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
He has finally emerged:

Going public on train cracks could have caused undue panic: Khaw
Posted 12 Jul 2016 16:49 Updated 12 Jul 2016 17:02

SINGAPORE: Declaring that trains were being returned to China for repairs due to hairline cracks could have caused undue panic, Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan said at the Bishan Depot on Tuesday (Jul 12).

Mr Khaw said that going public for something that was not "a major event" might have caused unnecessary panic to the layman, noting that to engineers, not all cracks are the same.

"If all cracks have to be reported, if they do not cause any of those issues on safety, they will have to think about what is the impact on the ground," said Mr Khaw. "Looking back, I think it's understandable."

He added that if there was a safety issue, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) would have gone public.

"If there is a safety issue and there's no response, what will that be like?" Mr Khaw asked. "LTA will decide to go public immediately."

The Transport Minister added that even if there were no safety concerns, should rectification works require many trains to be taken away, his ministry and LTA will still explain why they will have to reduce capacity of the rail system.

The briefing comes after Hong Kong-based news agency FactWire reported that the defective trains were being sent back to Qingdao, China, claiming that the recalls were being done "in secret". SMRT has said the trains on its rail lines are "extensively tested" to ensure safety and reliability.

HAIRLINE CRACKS NOT LINKED TO ANY TRAIN DELAYS: LTA

There was no correlation to train delays of more than five minutes to the hairline cracks, LTA said at the briefing. It indicated that most of the delays since 2014 were linked to signalling faults, door or brake issues, with none linked to hairline cracks.

The authority added that even when trains were being repaired, there were always enough trains to meet demand.

For example, for 2016, there are 140 trains available for the North-South and East-West lines, and 124 trains are needed to meet demand. This will continue till 2019 - when replacement work is completed - where there will always be more trains available than needed, according to estimates.

CONSORTIUM WON NEW CONTRACT AS CRACK PROBLEM WAS RESOLVED

The Kawasaki / Sifang consortium also won Contract T251 - for the supply of 91 four-car electric multiple units trains for the Thomson East Coast Lines - because the problem of hairline cracks for trains purchased under contract C151A were resolved conclusively.

"From the experience of C151A, bolsters of trains will be supplied by Japanese supplier Kobe Steel," said LTA.

"Kawasaki / Sifang has shown a high level of responsiveness and strong sense of responsibility in addressing the issue," it added.

LTA said that the consortium won out of six bidders at it provided the best overall offer based on price, quality and life-cycle costs. Other bidders included Hyundai Rotem, which wanted to build the trains in Korea, and Construcciones Y Auxiliar De Ferrocarriles, which would have built the trains in Spain. Four other tenderers proposed to assemble the trains in China.

- CNA/av

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/going-public-on-train/2950576.html

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was told that the man demanded to see the defects personally and he wanted their best engineers to explain the details on site. Refuse to accept the reports. What he did not reveal is that the Chinese will only assemble. Not allowed to manufacture anything.

He has finally emerged:

Going public on train cracks could have caused undue panic: Khaw
Posted 12 Jul 2016 16:49 Updated 12 Jul 2016 17:02

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... "If all cracks have to be reported, if they do not cause any of those issues on safety, they will have to think about what is the impact on the ground," said Mr Khaw. "Looking back, I think it's understandable." ...

"If there is a safety issue and there's no response, what will that be like?" Mr Khaw asked. "LTA will decide to go public immediately." ...
he poke his head out n say tis oni? ...

y dun he say he oredi rook @ ze cracks n evryting is in order after his personal examination? ...

rover2sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was told that the man demanded to see the defects personally and he wanted their best engineers to explain the details on site. Refuse to accept the reports. What he did not reveal is that the Chinese will only assemble. Not allowed to manufacture anything.

Call that an explanation ? LOL!

He must think that our level of intelligent in very little indeed
. :biggrin:

He should balek kampong to pulau pinang, or better still make a "U" turn and send him to the South China Sea.

Last edited: