• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat discussion: passive income

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe in the past things were ok, but Spore is getting too expensive. So REITs that rely on Spore properties are probably going to suffer.

us share are not 100% can earn.
let's say if u buy apple share recently. u expect they to grow to how much?
so
johnny, timing is important, cant just anyhow hoot de.

u know?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i bought and sell my Bank of America and apple and facebook share before.
very volatile and not much dividend.

The markets are now very volatile & I think that is why people are looking at the more stable ETF market.
There is even ETFs of dividend paying stocks.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
us share are not 100% can earn.
let's say if u buy apple share recently. u expect they to grow to how much?
so
johnny, timing is important, cant just anyhow hoot de.

u know?

I'm only using Apple as an example of why the US market is more profitable
This was a few years ago lah. Apple shares have peaked & unless they can introduce new class of products, the price of their shares are not going to move.

You have to decide what you are looking for from the market e.g. for capital gains or dividends
The US market will provide you with more instruments like ETFs, equities, options market, forex...etc . With the available options you can make $ even when the markets are falling.

My regret is that I wasted so much time at work & upgrading courses. I should have taken more time to learn how to invest in the markets.:(

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm only using Apple as an example of why the US market is more profitable
This was a few years ago lah. Apple shares have peaked & unless they can introduce new class of products, the price of their shares are not going to move.

You have to decide what you are looking for from the market e.g. for capital gains or dividends
The US market will provide you with more instruments like ETFs, equities, options market, forex...etc . With the available options you can make $ even when the markets are falling.

My regret is that I wasted so much time at work & upgrading courses. I should have taken more time to learn how to invest in the markets.:(

I always believe it's never too late to learn.....only worry no capital to began with.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Depends on your spending habits and the cost of living in your location.

30 points per day (very achievable) X HKD 50 per point X 2 full Hantu index futures contracts X 2 days (hopefully mornings only) per week X 4 weeks per month = HKD 24,000 per month = roughly MYR 12,000 per month = roughly SGD 4,000 per month = 20% monthly rate of return based on capital employed as calculated below

Capital required = Initial margin HKD 30,000 (presently exchange only requires HKD 27,200) X 4 contracts (just in case some days you want to have larger positions for higher probability trades) = HKD 120,000 = roughly MYR 60,000 = roughly SGD 20,000

Remainder of capital put in real estate, fixed deposits, bonds, stocks whatever.

Expand to S&P mini and others as backup for periods when you are not free during regular trading hours on weekdays. Your LIFE must take priority over your trading which is a business done for money only.

Rental MYR 2,000 + (MYR 200 daily X 30) = MYR 8,000 per month with MYR 4,000 to spare.

Concentrate on setups that work best in the morning with backup setups for late afternoon (starting 2.30 pm) just in case some days morning not free :smile:

For various reasons, the sample below is not ideal for me. That's why I post here, don't want too many Sinkies living in my neighbourhood.

Reliable internet connection is a MUST. Cheap and good char kway teow nearby is a bonus. Swimming pool is totally unnecessary.

http://www.propwall.my/old_klang_ro...listing=For Rent&taggable_id=0&taggable_type=

[video=youtube;mSRVC6Ino98]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSRVC6Ino98[/video]

Last edited:

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Depends on your spending habits and the cost of living in your location.

30 points per day (very achievable) X HKD 50 per point X 2 full Hantu index futures contracts X 2 days (hopefully mornings only) per week X 4 weeks per month = HKD 24,000 per month = roughly MYR 12,000 per month = roughly SGD 4,000 per month = 20% monthly rate of return based on capital employed as calculated below

Capital required = Initial margin HKD 30,000 (presently exchange only requires HKD 27,200) X 4 contracts (just in case some days you want to have larger positions for higher probability trades) = HKD 120,000 = roughly MYR 60,000 = roughly SGD 20,000

Remainder of capital put in real estate, fixed deposits, bonds, stocks whatever.

Expand to S&P mini and others as backup for periods when you are not free during regular trading hours on weekdays. Your LIFE must take priority over your trading which is a business done for money only.

Rental MYR 2,000 + (MYR 200 daily X 30) = MYR 8,000 per month with MYR 4,000 to spare.

Concentrate on setups that work best in the morning with backup setups for late afternoon (starting 2.30 pm) just in case some days morning not free :smile:

For various reasons, the sample below is not ideal for me. That's why I post here, don't want too many Sinkies living in my neighbourhood.

Reliable internet connection is a MUST. Cheap and good char kway teow nearby is a bonus. Swimming pool is totally unnecessary.

http://www.propwall.my/old_klang_ro...listing=For Rent&taggable_id=0&taggable_type=

[video=youtube;mSRVC6Ino98]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSRVC6Ino98[/video]

S$20,000 is all it takes to achieve 4K per month?.

Oh, why the good char kway teow?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always believe it's never too late to learn.....only worry no capital to began with.

Yes it is never too late to learn.

However before the sub prime thingy it was much easier to make $$$. It is harder now :(
The markets are likely to go down then up. That is why people are using the ETF & options market to control the risks.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

U dont need capital to learn anything in life,all it takes is time and effort and reading and studying.capital needed only for tuition or somebody to teach u one on one.lots of free advice from people around,but the people who are good at what they do I find they dont like to teach for free.free advice aint good and good advice aint free.basic stuff u can pick up urself,read books,discuss on forums,join a study group but sometimes when u need that extra boost to help u get to the next level and master the more advanced and difficult stuff and plug ur weaknesses and flaws and leaks.u need the guidance and coaching from a master or sensei or someone superior.

Last edited:

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
You see I only buy blue chip now.
Seldom study the market, just investing bit by bit.
Every drop then I buy a little.

20k per year not a lot but can pay a lot bill.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was PUB Technical Officer with a poly diploma that saved enough to put down deposit to buy a landed property in Upper Thomson area. This was in the late 80s. The Engineers who bought HUDC commented about him and his purchase. He said the he had no clue about investment, financial planning or the stock market. In those days , FDs were popular was very popular until the interest fell the. This guy was frugal and hardworking.

In 2010, I remember that his property went for close to $8M. The adage to buy the worst house in the best street comes to mind. I also remembered that in the late 90s and 2000s, even housewives were buying sophisticated instruments and and from the likes of Lehman, Barclays etc, all of which sunk like a led balloon.

When I think of passive income, I think of this guy - passive to the core. He just sat and slept on his one big investment.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There was PUB Technical Officer with a poly diploma that saved enough to put down deposit to buy a landed property in Upper Thomson area. This was in the late 80s. The Engineers who bought HUDC commented about him and his purchase. He said the he had no clue about investment, financial planning or the stock market. In those days , FDs were popular was very popular until the interest fell the. This guy was frugal and hardworking.

In 2010, I remember that his property went for close to $8M. The adage to buy the worst house in the best street comes to mind. I also remembered that in the late 90s and 2000s, even housewives were buying sophisticated instruments and and from the likes of Lehman, Barclays etc, all of which sunk like a led balloon.

When I think of passive income, I think of this guy - passive to the core. He just sat and slept on his one big investment.

cherry picking results....choosing the best possible outcomes while ignoring the other scenarios even though one has no control or idea over the future.if it was me if theres anything i wished i would have invested in back in the 80s if i was even around at that time would be warren buffet's berkshire harthaway.$1000 invested back in 1982 would be worth around $600,000 today.$100,000 would be worth around 60 million.

if im not wrong the properties with the best returns are 3rm and 4rm HDB flats and landed properties.if one was allowed to buy more 5 or 10 hdb flats i surmised many of us would be sitting pretty on millions right now.anyway its not hard to get rich on real estate any where in the world.its a form of highly leveraged investment.afterall u are only paying 10 to 20 percent deposit on something thats worth ten times more,u can easily buy ten or twenty properties in america and start renting them out for cashflow if u are a millionaire.buy ten houses near universities or college campuses and rent out to students every year,cha ching!!!guaranteed customer base,students have to go to college every year,rent is guaranteed by their parents which are highly reliable,rooms can be rented out to two or three students and rent split so its not too expensive for one to rent the entire house.houses are usually pretty cheap if u select the right states,ranging from 100k to 35k.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lucky this thrifty and hardworking technical officer is a guy. If not all the conspiracy theorists here will use their sinkie smart alec intelligence to say he used to be a chicken. And if he said not, they got the cheek to say must be deception.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
cherry picking results....choosing the best possible outcomes while ignoring the other scenarios even though one has no control or idea over the future.if it was me if theres anything i wished i would have invested in back in the 80s if i was even around at that time would be warren buffet's berkshire harthaway.$1000 invested back in 1982 would be worth around $600,000 today.$100,000 would be worth around 60 million.

if im not wrong the properties with the best returns are 3rm and 4rm HDB flats and landed properties.if one was allowed to buy more 5 or 10 hdb flats i surmised many of us would be sitting pretty on millions right now.anyway its not hard to get rich on real estate any where in the world.its a form of highly leveraged investment.afterall u are only paying 10 to 20 percent deposit on something thats worth ten times more,u can easily buy ten or twenty properties in america and start renting them out for cashflow if u are a millionaire.buy ten houses near universities or college campuses and rent out to students every year,cha ching!!!guaranteed customer base,students have to go to college every year,rent is guaranteed by their parents which are highly reliable,rooms can be rented out to two or three students and rent split so its not too expensive for one to rent the entire house.houses are usually pretty cheap if u select the right states,ranging from 100k to 35k.

You also cherry picking on warren buffet lah. Stocks and houses are the same, it's all about timing. Need luck or foresight. But for property, risk is lower as property go up in the long run and can earn rental income.

You are right property with best return are 3 room flats. My friend used to rent out near 3k for her 3 room flat in city, bought for around two hundred thousands.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is strictly speaking not passive income by any measure
For sure involves brains, guts and subject you to lots of pressure

BTW, missed the first one and a half hour of yesterday's trading and still can make SGD 4,000 using only 6 contracts of HangThem futures contracts at most and I worked out the mechanics of scaling in to get out of mistakes at breakeven or small profit before I came across this video. HangThem is better than Hantu which was in fashion because of the PRC government induced stock market boom (and subsequent crash) and appears to have gone out of favour.

[video=youtube;LYu-s76bgwI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYu-s76bgwI[/video]

Thus I have changed the lyrics somewhat to:

You got to know when to hold them
Know when to fold them
Know when to walk away
Know when to run

You always count your money
When you sitting at the table
For there won't be any to count
If you don't scale scalp and ride

[video=youtube;kNnrTNFWcsg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNnrTNFWcsg[/video]