• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat S'poreans lack critical thinking

hugs

Alfrescian
Loyal
Such people, when they were teenagers in SG, the education system told them that they needed an "A" for higher mother tongue or else succumbed to their classmates from China. They lost their potential to think eventually.

People who are critical thinkers, can analyse and then ask questions that will lead them to the right answers. Those who can't or are weaker in this aspect usually needs prompting, or in worse case, have to ask you for multiple choice options and make a best-guess estimate. Eventually both will arrive at the right answer or as near to the right answer, but the path that both took shows the gulf in analytical mind.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh wait, you are talking about the same Goh keng Swee, the same critical thinker that wanted to transform Chartered Industries weapons and ammo factories to make locks for HDB flats? The same Goh Keng Swee who so fucked up the Ministry of Education and education policies in singapore including having only 2 unis and then down to one uni for the entire country? That Goh Keng Swee? My good man, he is a fucking idiot totally lacking in critical thinking.

please lah, don't expose and humiliate our favorite tpx. this sound byte king cannot cut it in sillycon valley as he's all talk and cannot be relied upon to do root cause analysis objectively and solve real problems with critical thinking. the person who harps on the lack of it actually lacks it. me and bart engineers are still reeling in laughter with the bs he posted on the alleged ease in which the sub floor of car bodies including car body holster can be dismantled and replaced in the depot. must give him more rope to hang himself. holding back and strike at the right moment. now that's critical thinking.

scroobye

Alfrescian
Loyal
please lah, don't expose and humiliate our favorite tpx. this sound byte king cannot cut it in sillycon valley as he's all talk and cannot be relied upon to do root cause analysis objectively and solve real problems with critical thinking. the person who harps on the lack of it actually lacks it. me and bart engineers are still reeling in laughter with the bs he posted on the alleged ease in which the sub floor of car bodies including car body holster can be dismantled and replaced in the depot. must give him more rope to hang himself. holding back and strike at the right moment. now that's critical thinking.

Careful ah later he ban you like what he did to jah and says you disrupted the thread also car holsters or bolsters? :rolleyes:

Further update last night.

Its looks like a case of heavy omission by the authorities in their press clarifications. Here is the latest.

1 Ministry of Communication and Information will coordinate all media related matters for this case. More like less that come out is better.

2. HK MTR have contacted LTA seeking details of the defects. HK MTR have launched their own probe as they too have ordered trains from Sifang.

3. There were heavy bracing work done on the bolsters using brackets and these were done in Bishan depot by Sifang technicians supervised by Kawasaki and certified by an independent german company as a temporary measure.

4. The source remains firm that the whole train has been sent back as the entire construction integrity is suspect as defects and cracks are not confined to bolster. The bolsters are modular in nature and can be easily replaced if it was just the case of the bolster. We will actually getting a new train which some cannibalised parts from the old trains is used.

LTA or Ministry of Transport still cannot explain why the whole train is being sent back and why new car bodies will be installed if it is just the bolster.

I have been told that the explanation given by LTA does not make sense. Anyone with Railway engineering please chip in.

1. Bolsters sit on Bogies (the wheel undercarriage) and support the entire train car body. Bolster are always made of steel and never aluminium or aluminium alloy.

2. Our Depots can easily replace the Bolsters with replacements bolsters.

3. Are the cracks in the steel bolsters or the aluminium car body or both?

4. Why the need to ship the entire train back unless there are multiple defects which I am told is the case.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sinkies oni apply their critical thinking skills on benefits dat dey can gain from ... like which 1 wil enhance their asset value mor wif upgrading, covered wokway, etc ...

Wah, this one hit the nail on its head... really, when come to property, sinkies simi pattern also can chut... wind, fengshui, mrt, sun, car park, slope, bus stop, drain, big-ass longkang (waterfronnt), enbloc, proximity to school, siam loan curb, de-couple etc etc...

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
why do u need critical thinking when this country,Singapore has shown u for the past 15 years that the path of least resistance and critical thinking leads to great success and prosperity?too much critical thinking or seditious or dangerous thoughts can lead u to the center for reeducation or house arrest or worse being dumped on the streets looking like a mad dog god meng seng.have u ever of a dystopian utopia ever needing critical thinking?thats insane!!!thats dangerous thinking!!!!70 percent has potential in our country,but there is a handful with the greatest potential of all,those with high levels of critical thinking,but yet on a subconscious level managed to turn it off,or thru sheer will and dedication to lick their master's balls using their high intellect managed to convince themselves what they are doing is right,these people display high levels of cognitive dissonance.people like john tan or tharman shamugan.i suspect john tan is a high level government employee,he could be in charge of CPF,finding ways to drain our CPFs dry while appearing to be looking out for Singaporeans' healthcare and housing and retirement needs.

Sinkies don't understand that they are living in a military Junta, which by definition is a dictatorship. PM is ex general, heads of stat boards, GLCs and other govt bodies are controlled by ex generals. The military plays a very dominant life in the economy. With the highest budget accorded to it, and with every male havinf served in it. In such an environment, crticial thinking is an oxymoron.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Wah, this one hit the nail on its head... really, when come to property, sinkies simi pattern also can chut... wind, fengshui, mrt, sun, car park, slope, bus stop, drain, big-ass longkang (waterfronnt), enbloc, proximity to school, siam loan curb, de-couple etc etc...

Bullshit lah, when it comes to properties, sinkies are the worse in making critical thinking decisions. The first and only critical thought is "Do I fucking own this flat or am I the tenant?" The second critical thought if the first is not enough for them to make the right decision is "If I am not the owner and only the tenant why the fuck should I pay so much for a flat that I must give back"? If they think this first, they would be much happier with any decisions they make later.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I recall that Goh Keng Swee was appalled by the lack of critical thinking amongst civil servants when he read their reports. He introduced critical thinking and new textbooks called Contact series for the English subject in schools. Subsequently General Paper for A levels. You can see it being played out in regard to the train debacle.

Imagine all the Govt did was explain that the bolster had hairline crack and the contractors will pay for it. Any person with a normal IQ will ask why send the whole train back and why must take 4 months just to fix a small modular piece. There are also reports of new car bodies that will be installed.

So far no breakdown of defects. Why the need for new car bodies? Why the whole train must be sent back? Why 4 months? When did the first train go back? What is exactly the contractors paying for? Are they covering the opportunity cost when the trains are taken away from operational use? No explanation why 22 ordered in 2009 are more expensive than 22 ordered much later. Why our trains are more expensive than those sold to HK?

There are most questions and all these need coherent answers. Not some graphics that fooled couple of morons.

Civil servants are not encouraged to be critical . If not they say you Kay kiang. Boss approved means ok. Cannot question!

hugs

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which they shall realise that their abilities to fully pay up a flat, is in fact, worse off than their older folks. Some more thinking and calculating, will lead to realising that they bought a flat too big, spent too much on renovations, lack family planning so they had kids too early, not ready for parenting so struggle between work and parenting thus neglect love life, keeping up with the joneses and have cars, maids, piano lessons, art lessons, tuition, the lists go on. Now how to save up minimium sum inside CPF or to have money in bank?

Bullshit lah, when it comes to properties, sinkies are the worse in making critical thinking decisions. The first and only critical thought is "Do I fucking own this flat or am I the tenant?" The second critical thought if the first is not enough for them to make the right decision is "If I am not the owner and only the tenant why the fuck should I pay so much for a flat that I must give back"? If they think this first, they would be much happier with any decisions they make later.

babuSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is not taught in schools, we are brainwashed just to listen and do since young, not to challenge the system.

Sinkies are too pre-occupied with managing their heavy debt and their first priority is to keep their job safe in order to sustain their "singapore dream" lifestyle.

This is what the gahment wants to instil in most Sinkies so they will not have the time to be critical and challenge them.

But with the popularity of social media increasing in the recent years, this notion that they have planted in us is slowly losing traction.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I recall that Goh Keng Swee was appalled by the lack of critical thinking amongst civil servants when he read their reports.

Singaporeans have been bought. I think many can think but they chose not to because if they chose to have critical thinking, they will lose out. Take for example, the govt is good at throwing money at sinkies and ask sinkie go eat shit, sinkies will obey.

Let me draw any scenario why I think sinkies are stupid. If you put a million dollar inisde a cage full of poisonous snake. The cage will be surrounded by greedy sinkies trying to get the money out from the snakes. The chance that any of them breaking into the cage to take out the money is high and they know the price they paid for doing so is high too. This explains, why PAP, aka the snakes, continue to gain resounding support from greedy sinkies who see monies in PAP camp, Look at how PAP is always surrounded by sinkies the like of Alice Fong and Yang Yin. These story portray a true analogy of the snake, money and sinkies made poor by PAP who continue to perpetuate into our life to PAP advantage.

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singaporeans have been bought. I think many can think but they chose not to because if they chose to have critical thinking, they will lose out. Take for example, the govt is good at throwing money at sinkies and ask sinkie go eat shit, sinkies will obey.

Let me draw any scenario why I think sinkies are stupid. If you put a million dollar inisde a cage full of poisonous snake. The cage will be surrounded by greedy sinkies trying to get the money out from the snakes. The chance that any of them breaking into the cage to take out the money is high and they know the price they paid for doing so is high too. This explains, why PAP, aka the snakes, continue to gain resounding support from greedy sinkies who see monies in PAP camp, Look at how PAP is always surrounded by sinkies the like of Alice Fong and Yang Yin. These story portray a true analogy of the snake, money and sinkies made poor by PAP who continue to perpetuate into our life to PAP advantage.

i dunno how ur analogy works but LKY is a genius,he knew with a strong,rich and prosperous economy he could buy an entire country,especially one as greedy and balless,kiasu and kiasee,daft and stupid as sinkies,a nation of bootlickers.stupid sinkies cannot figure out how to make money on their own,like the enterprising hong kees and the entrepreneurial americans.thats why till this day we are still reliant on mncs and foreign companies,despite the fact our country's already filthy rich we still lack the knowledge and know how on how to build our own economy.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dunno how ur analogy works but LKY is a genius,he knew with a strong,rich and prosperous economy he could buy an entire country,especially one as greedy and balless,kiasu and kiasee,daft and stupid as sinkies,a nation of bootlickers.stupid sinkies cannot figure out how to make money on their own,like the enterprising hong kees and the entrepreneurial americans.thats why till this day we are still reliant on mncs and foreign companies,despite the fact our country's already filthy rich we still lack the knowledge and know how on how to build our own economy.

Right on the dot. Singapore was teeming with hardy folk who came here without a cent to build lives and homes. Many built great companies. In three generations we have a bunch of people enslaved by a overbearing and manipulative system, too scared to say " boo " to anyone in power. Singaporean creativity is an oxymoron. One can say LKY had a "captivating" mind. Trouble is, he left the scene without leaving the manual on how to run this system to the succeeding deadbeats. Even if he did , that way of working can only last so long. His way will never make it in the new world. The various government agencies use all the right buzz words, but nobody knows what they mean. The scholar class are now just milking the system.

Last edited:

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Civil servants are not encouraged to be critical . If not they say you Kay kiang. Boss approved means ok. Cannot question!

What you taking about, man?

Critical thinking? My foot!

Are you crazy to even ask such a preposterous and obscene question to the civil servants?

If civil servants have anything resembling brains, they will not even exercise their brains to think, let alone critical thinking!

As one of my friends like to say: "they are gaji buta"!

Come end of the month, they will just happily collect their salaries.

During the entire month,they will just follow orders and go by the book. just like in the armed forces.

Their mantra: don't ever rock the boat by being too independent in your thoughts and actions.

"Yes sir, yes sir. I hear your orders loud and clear, sir. I will absolutely obey without question, sir!" is the way to go.

How in the world do you expect civil servants and other mindless complacent citizens to exercise critical thinking when even the so-called "natural aristocrats" do not even do that but merely blindly follow orders from the top and apply outdated methods in governance, just exactly like what they had been conditioned to do in the military and navy?

Last edited:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Critical thinking was what allowed Singapore to run a successful country for the past 60 years, improve our water and food security, run a country without bankrupting itself and its people to have lots of money.

Most other countries lack critical thinking. They spend like there's no tomorrow, mismanage their wealth, suffer droughts because they don't plan their water resources. Their people are poor because the country is too dumb or too corrupt to invest sufficiently in public infrastructure and schools while their politicians live in gated mansions and have stashed millions abroad.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He was referring to those on the middle and senior ranks. Even so anyone even at the bottom of the letter should be able to think thru if something is not right or does not make sense.

If you look at the some of the comments in social media about the trains, some of the comments suggest that they did think not thru the issues. Would you carry on using your newly bought noisy refrigerator and then return it 5 years later for warranty repairs. I am sure no junior ranking civil servant will accept the situation. Though this is very simplistic example, it appears that we appear to accept what the government and the straits Times tell us.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
sinkies oni apply their critical thinking skills on benefits dat dey can gain from ... like which 1 wil enhance their asset value mor wif upgrading, covered wokway, etc ...

Actually Singaporeans exhibit the least critical thinking when it comes to receiving carrots (govt benefits), because if they went ahead to vote opposition, in the long run the govt will be forced to give them even more.

They are exchanging long term rewards for short term gain.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
It doesn't matter whether Singaporeans have critical thinking or not.

It is not the thinking. It is the attitudes and values of the people.

Singaporeans worry about themselves. They don't really care about the other man. Which is why there is so much emphasis on estate management during elections, micro-level bread and butter issues rather than national policies.

Even those who think critically worry about themselves than the country and the other man.

The only time things will change is if the people finally vote out the PAP. It will show a change in values. Same with doing away with maids.

These things will never change in my opinion. Which is why those who can think critically would either migrate or opt for Hobson's choice. Hence it is not an issue of critical thinking but a paradigm shift in the value system of Singaporeans.

hugs

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many understand the need to start young when taking up music lessons, as young as when 5 years old. Even tuitions start as young as that. Critical thinking? After 30 years old?

I think the next NDP song should sound like this one.

[video=youtube;LEKIJpVppKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEKIJpVppKE[/video]

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
What you taking about, man?

Critical thinking? My foot!

Are you crazy to even ask such a preposterous and obscene question to the civil servants?

If civil servants have anything resembling brains, they will not even exercise their brains to think, let alone critical thinking!

As one of my friends like to say: "they are gaji buta"!

Come end of the month, they will just happily collect their salaries.

During the entire month,they will just follow orders and go by the book. just like in the armed forces.

Their mantra: don't ever rock the boat by being too independent in your thoughts and actions.

"Yes sir, yes sir. I hear your orders loud and clear, sir. I will absolutely obey without question, sir!" is the way to go.

How in the world do you expect civil servants and other mindless complacent citizens to exercise critical thinking when even the so-called "natural aristocrats" do not even do that but merely blindly follow orders from the top and apply outdated methods in governance, just exactly like what they had been conditioned to do in the military and navy?

That's becos if they question too much, they can say bye bye to promotion. The system ask for compliant people and you will be deemed difficult and uncooperative. Such compliant system works well when things are starting and building wealth (or when things or staff are difficult who created shit problems for others to solve), all focus on creating wealth or problem solving without question. But when prospered and all problems solved and still relying on such system, non questioning will only gradually but surely lead to rot and decadence spending or buy high sell low or buy expensive get lousy or brainless immigration with no control.