• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Alternatives to Niagara and Victoria waterfalls ?

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope to experience a big waterfall like Niagara or Victoria in my lifetime, but Canada is too far and Africa is out of the question.

Do countries in Asia or Australia have anything close to these 2 big falls ?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Niagara Falls in Ontario, Canada, may be far and about 20 hours by plane, but it is worthwhile.
If you wait and search, you may be able to find return tickets via Cathay Pacific and EVA, for about Cdn$1,600 to $2,200.

If you decide to "see" Niagara Falls, then I would suggest that you spend at least a week travelling from Victoria, BC to Port Hardy, (at the north of Vancouver Island), then take the ferry to Prince George (or go all the way to Alaska), then by train to Jasper (the Canadian Rockies, where you may wish to spend another week), the beauty of the alpine scenery, glacial lakes, numerous waterfalls, huge expanse of mountains, Icefield Parkway, Lake Louise, and Banff.

To the east, consider Quebec City (the only walled city in North America), Nova Scotia (the Bay of Fundy, Cabot Trail) and Newfoundland (Gros Morne National Park).

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
If traveling to edge of earth is not worth your while to see the the magnificent Niagara Falls, then it is not worth your while to even see it in internet as you will not feel the majestic fall on screen.

You can never feel Niagara Falls without walking just below the edge where the water goes over the edge or taking the cruise Maid of the Mist. I missed the cruise as I went in winter as cruise close from October till after Winter, planning to travel half way round the globe to ride it again soon.

There's a tunnel you can walk in, right until the border between Canada and USA.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
top 5 waterfalls that are most spectacular and awe-inspiring, in my opinion:

1. victoria
2. niagara
3. iguazu
4. angel
5. yosemite

niagara is the most visited and accessible as the other 4 are remote and require hours of ground transportation to get near. yosemite has the added benefit of other falls around the valley: bridalveil, vernal, nevada, cascade. you can cover them all in one day.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you go to Niagara Falls, the view from the Canadian side is much nicer.

Since you are in the area you should also explore the surroundings e.g. Toronto, New York

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are a few hotels facing the Niagara Falls on Canada side. Marriott and a few others fronting the Falls. Pay a bit more and book those rooms higher and with Falls View.

Canada side has much better views as the horse shoe fall is tilted slightly facing Canada side.

Worth it especially in the morning, sunset and after dark with spectacular lighting effects.

Certainly worth the long travel to get there. Go before the Maid of the Mist cruise that goes under the falling water, close from October.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You guys are still pushing for Niagara falls in this thread ?

Most people would find a visit to Canada & the US interesting. The area is very accessible & there are many other things to see in that area.
For me, the 1st time I visited Niagara was when I was still a poor student. I took a Greyhound coach & then walked around. Also joined a local tour to see the main sites.

It is much easier to explore the US & Canada if you drive. In Europe you have to rely on their public transport. It may be efficient but it is easier to pack all your barang, barang into a car & then go exploring. You can also sleep in the car:smile:

I revisited the place 15+ years later. The falls was still impressive & the second time around it was easier because I drove from Toronto & then continued on to New York city

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You guys are still pushing for Niagara falls in this thread ?

due to its remoteness and jaw-dropping views, would recommend the iguazu falls between argentina and brazil. do you see visitors walking in the midst and mist of hundreds of falls?

image.jpg

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most people would find a visit to Canada & the US interesting. The area is very accessible & there are many other things to see in that area.
For me, the 1st time I visited Niagara was when I was still a poor student. I took a Greyhound coach & then walked around. Also joined a local tour to see the main sites.

It is much easier to explore the US & Canada if you drive. In Europe you have to rely on their public transport. It may be efficient but it is easier to pack all your barang, barang into a car & then go exploring. You can also sleep in the car:smile:

I revisited the place 15+ years later. The falls was still impressive & the second time around it was easier because I drove from Toronto & then continued on to New York city

I know Niagara is the best. I am looking for an alternative in Asia or Australia. :smile:

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
due to its remoteness and jaw-dropping views, would recommend the iguazu falls between argentina and brazil. do you see visitors walking in the midst and mist of hundreds of falls?

If I could go Argentina and Brazil, I would be heading straight to Niagara @ Ontario.

But the photo you posted is breathtaking :smile:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I could go Argentina and Brazil, I would be heading straight to Niagara @ Ontario.

But the photo you posted is breathtaking :smile:

venezuela is cheap these days. and the latinas there are beautiful. if you haven't seen a more spectacular waterfall, the angel falls will knock your socks off. at 979m, it is the tallest uninterrupted falls in the world. simply spectacular when it's peak wet season with multiple streams and falls gushing from the top.

image.jpg

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
venezuela is cheap these days. and the latinas there are beautiful. if you haven't seen a more spectacular waterfall, the angel falls will knock your socks off. at 979m, it is the tallest uninterrupted falls in the world. simply spectacular when it's peak wet season with multiple streams and falls gushing from the top.

View attachment 27274

Tallest but not broad enough. :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would recommend going to Victoria Falls and then spending time at Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe. Except for the flights everything else is really affordable - food and accommodation. Try saving over a year and look out for cheap flights.

Victoria Falls is breathtaking and not many people have been there. At Hwange National Park stay at the lodge which is next to major waterhole. The animals will cautiously approach the watering hole at dawn, dusk and at night. There is a tall observation tower within the Lodge that you can watch the animals while nursing a beer or a cocktail. Breathtaking sight. Only the elephants will come rampaging thru at they are not afraid of predators.

You will also see the poor state of Zimbabwe as result of Mugabe's rule. The supermarkets are half full of stock and very little sign of enterprise. But the people are well educated, speak the English much better than us and are very friendly. What you will also be surprised is seeing white folks (locals) working in hotels and various places doing menial tasks and reporting to the Blacks. You will see porters, cooks, service staff etc.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would recommend going to Victoria Falls and then spending time at Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe. Except for the flights everything else is really affordable - food and accommodation. Try saving over a year and look out for cheap flights.

Victoria Falls is breathtaking and not many people have been there. At Hwange National Park stay at the lodge which is next to major waterhole. The animals will cautiously approach the watering hole at dawn, dusk and at night. There is a tall observation tower within the Lodge that you can watch the animals while nursing a beer or a cocktail. Breathtaking sight. Only the elephants will come rampaging thru at they are not afraid of predators.

You will also see the poor state of Zimbabwe as result of Mugabe's rule. The supermarkets are half full of stock and very little sign of enterprise. But the people are well educated, speak the English much better than us and are very friendly. What you will also be surprised is seeing white folks (locals) working in hotels and various places doing menial tasks and reporting to the Blacks. You will see porters, cooks, service staff etc.

You need to be really adventurous.:smile:

But thanks for the recommendation.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hope to experience a big waterfall like Niagara or Victoria in my lifetime, but Canada is too far and Africa is out of the question.

google n c wat asia n oz can offer u la ...

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Niagara Falls is one of the biggest tourist traps in North America (favourite honeymoon spot), and is overly commercialized. There are numerous other waterfalls in Asia, try Pulau Langkawi, for something closer. Can swim in the pools too, unlike Niagara!!! Come to think of it, Kota Tinggi is just a medium distance drive up north, and its pretty decent. Cool and refreshing place to dip in the waters!!

Cheers!

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Niagara Falls is one of the biggest tourist traps in North America (favourite honeymoon spot), and is overly commercialized. There are numerous other waterfalls in Asia, try Pulau Langkawi, for something closer. Can swim in the pools too, unlike Niagara!!! Come to think of it, Kota Tinggi is just a medium distance drive up north, and its pretty decent. Cool and refreshing place to dip in the waters!!

Cheers!

Bro, talking about this type of waterfall ah ?

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000DVVnlQq4dcw/s/850/850/SB-MY20.jpg

it's too 小儿科 lah. :smile: Hardly an alternative to Niagara and Victoria. It's like comparing candlelight with the sun ray.