• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious SQ flight that caught fire Q illustrates why it is such a dangerous airline now

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
We all have read by now how SQ 368 was on the way to Milan had to turn back and land at Changi where it caught fire on landing. From the various news reports, it was mentioned that the plane was 2 hours into the flight when the pilot came on the intercom and announced that there was a oil leak in one of the engines. The Boeing 777-300ER with 241 souls on board was turned round and returned to singapore. One hour after that, passengers said they started smelling fuel in the plane.

My question to SQ was, that knowing that there was an engine problem, why did it not divert to the nearest airport instead of trying to fly on a defective engine for another 2 hours. By this time, they were already over the Bay of bengal. Diverting to Bangkok would have been much closer, as well as Subang. Also, Penang International was probably the closest airport with a long enough runway to accomodate them. This is a crazy and unnecessary risk to continue back to singapore. I always thought that if there was a bad problem, the plane should be put down at the nearest airport ASAP.

The fuel smell in the plane could be attributed to the fact that they were already dumping fuel. And some of the smell might have gotten into the cabin. If that was not the case, then there was a fuel leak in addition to whatever check engine light came on. This is not a good thing. The plane's wing catching fire on landing could be the residual fuel left on the wing that got set on fire when sparks from the undercarriage hit it on landing. But this would be unusual. many planes make emergency landing and dump fuel before doing that. If that resulted in fire all the time, no one would dump fuel. But that is not the case, something suspicious here.

But it really is very shocking to me that they would not set the plane down at the nearest airport for such an emergency. Very dangerous in my eyes to have this king of pilots flying for you.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We all have read by now how SQ 368 was on the way to Milan had to turn back and land at Changi where it caught fire on landing. From the various news reports, it was mentioned that the plane was 2 hours into the flight when the pilot came on the intercom and announced that there was a oil leak in one of the engines. The Boeing 777-300ER with 241 souls on board was turned round and returned to singapore. One hour after that, passengers said they started smelling fuel in the plane.

My question to SQ was, that knowing that there was an engine problem, why did it not divert to the nearest airport instead of trying to fly on a defective engine for another 2 hours. By this time, they were already over the Bay of bengal. Diverting to Bangkok would have been much closer, as well as Subang. Also, Penang International was probably the closest airport with a long enough runway to accomodate them. This is a crazy and unnecessary risk to continue back to singapore. I always thought that if there was a bad problem, the plane should be put down at the nearest airport ASAP.

The fuel smell in the plane could be attributed to the fact that they were already dumping fuel. And some of the smell might have gotten into the cabin. If that was not the case, then there was a fuel leak in addition to whatever check engine light came on. This is not a good thing. The plane's wing catching fire on landing could be the residual fuel left on the wing that got set on fire when sparks from the undercarriage hit it on landing. But this would be unusual. many planes make emergency landing and dump fuel before doing that. If that resulted in fire all the time, no one would dump fuel. But that is not the case, something suspicious here.

But it really is very shocking to me that they would not set the plane down at the nearest airport for such an emergency. Very dangerous in my eyes to have this king of pilots flying for you.

Frankly when I saw the plane was burning especially at the engine area, the passenger Were very fortunate that the whole plane did not explode.

To say that they are lucky is one understatement.....

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
The entire engineering department is staffed by Indian FTs.
With regards to FTs of any nationality, only the 3rd rate ones would end up working in Singapore because they are unable to get jobs in their own countries. SIA management & CEO and SIA maintenance regime policies (akin to MRT regular disruptions, HDB breakdowns, Hepatitis SGH cross infection, hawker centre food poisoning under NEA watch etc etc) to blame for this rather than the engineering team for the plane catching fire on landing.1. Strange that the faulty plane did not divert to the nearest airport for emergency landing.2. The emergency disembarkation should have been deploying the evacuation slides rather than waiting for the mobile stairs to arrive and park against the plane.https://goo.gl/images/wazm9W

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
With regards to FTs of any nationality, only the 3rd rate ones would end up working in Singapore because they are unable to get jobs in their own countries. SIA management & CEO and SIA maintenance regime policies (akin to MRT regular disruptions, HDB breakdowns, Hepatitis SGH cross infection, hawker centre food poisoning under NEA watch etc etc) to blame for this rather than the engineering team for the plane catching fire on landing.1. Strange that the faulty plane did not divert to the nearest airport for emergency landing.2. The emergency disembarkation should have been deploying the evacuation slides rather than waiting for the mobile stairs to arrive and park against the plane.https://goo.gl/images/wazm9W
U make a good point. I think they did not expect the plane's wing and engine to explode in flames on landing. But once the flame was there, why ask the passengers to remain in the plane? That's just crazy. The FAs should have open the emergency exit doors on the opposite side of the plane and get the passengers to deploy down the chutes there. Its crazy to ask the passengers to remain in a plane which is on fire. What if the fire crews could not put out the flames in time, and it spread to the cabin? U will end up with BBQed passengers.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Simple reason.

If it flew to other countries airport, cannot cover up.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
This incident also illustrates the ballessness of sinkies. U mean to tell me that the plane is on fire big time, and you tiam tiam stay in your seat until the FA open the door for you to get out? WTF? The people at the emergency exit on the non burning side of the plane should just pull the handle and deploy the chutes and get out. wait for fuck?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This incident also illustrates the ballessness of sinkies. U mean to tell me that the plane is on fire big time, and you tiam tiam stay in your seat until the FA open the door for you to get out? WTF? The people at the emergency exit on the non burning side of the plane should just pull the handle and deploy the chutes and get out. wait for fuck?
bro, cannot deploy chute lah...engine on fire, the chute kenna burn off.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
according to my aviation expertise from watching air crash investigation,the pilots probably did not declare a state of emergency although they did report the problem and request to turn back,the plane was still under flight controls with no significant signs of deterioration and all the other systems were nominal.i do not know how severe an oil leak is according to the manual but it probably was not high up in the priorities.as for not diverting to the nearest airport,the situation was not dire enough to warrant a emergency landing,and the pilots were under strict company policy to land on authorised airports with a company presence in order to cut costs and savings and not create unnecessary delays and costs.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
U make a good point. I think they did not expect the plane's wing and engine to explode in flames on landing. But once the flame was there, why ask the passengers to remain in the plane? That's just crazy. The FAs should have open the emergency exit doors on the opposite side of the plane and get the passengers to deploy down the chutes there. Its crazy to ask the passengers to remain in a plane which is on fire. What if the fire crews could not put out the flames in time, and it spread to the cabin? U will end up with BBQed passengers.

pls lor.. .the inflight chef is roosting baby ribs and buffalo wings for 1st class passengers, all economy class must line in queue for their change to get a piece of the life action.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it really depends on the experience of the pilot & co pilot. Also, the duty manager at the crisis management centre / SIA Ops centre at time of incident. If that bugger give instruction to the pilot to head back instead of heading to the nearest airport and the pilot concur (meaning, he think the problem is not so serious), they will do so. landing in a foreign airport has its risks (and costs) - the transfer for one is a big question - either the passengers will have to be booked onto another flight or SIA has to fly in another plane to take them to Milan or arrange for them to route back to Singaproe before going to MIlan. Now imagine the passengers insisting on similar class / standard of travel. Hotels / meals have to be catered. KLIA would be easier because SIA would have catering arrangements. Now imagine the plane is to land in Pattaya airport. As well, there is the landing fee / firefighting fee...etc.