• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious SG51 SIA.EX 222 pax mass escaped @ Changi Air port from BURT SQ368! HUAT!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've already turned it into a "praise the PAP" thread.

thank you for the quick rescue and dowsing, otherwise it would have taken a wrong turn right from the start with all compartments blazing (all pun intended).

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From what I gathered so far, the crew did everything correctly and professionally regarding the air turnback. The engine caught fire after the landing and as to why the crew did not evacuate immediately, they must have had their reasons. Lets just wait and see.

most likely cockpit crew assessed raging fire in the wings would pose certain danger to evacuating passengers plus the prospect of passengers getting in the way of emergency trucks attempting to dowse the fire. the latter was what happened to ariana airlines at sfo. death was from emergency truck running over passenger lost in the foam.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It was an oil leak so there was no need to dump fuel or divert to another airport. The best thing to do is to turn back to where you have the best support in terms of engineering and passenger care which in this case was Singapore.
Thanks for the clarification. However, there are too versions in the report. "miss lee said there is a fuel leak...". The pilot said that there is oil leak. I understand that engine oil is designed with high flash point and should not burst into flame. However, fuel will catch fire with the slightest spark. So are the seals in the engine so badly damaged that fuel is leaking out and yet the engine can still continue to function? For normal combustion engines that i know the engine will fail first Well I guess only those in the investigation will know the truth.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: SIA plane engine caught fire

escaping disaster when ur plane is on the ground is nothing,if the fire started 5 mins earlier while the plane was still in the air,outcome would have been drastically different.

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In this situation, the tower ( ATC ) and the pilots would be in radio contact. ATC would also be in radio contact with the guy in charge of the fire services.At times this guy would assess the fire from the outside as the fire engines are heading towards the plane. If, in his assessment there is no need to evacuate then he would communicate this to ATC , who would then relay the info to the pilots. ATC can also put the pilots in contact with the fire services guy on a seperate frequency for them to arrive at a decision without ATC inputs.
The latest I hear now is that this was the case.

most likely cockpit crew assessed raging fire in the wings would pose certain danger to evacuating passengers plus the prospect of passengers getting in the way of emergency trucks attempting to dowse the fire. the latter was what happened to ariana airlines at sfo. death was from emergency truck running over passenger lost in the foam.

Last edited:

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the clarification. However, there are too versions in the report. "miss lee said there is a fuel leak...". The pilot said that there is oil leak. I understand that engine oil is designed with high flash point and should not burst into flame. However, fuel will catch fire with the slightest spark. So are the seals in the engine so badly damaged that fuel is leaking out and yet the engine can still continue to function? For normal combustion engines that i know the engine will fail first Well I guess only those in the investigation will know the truth.

The oil can leak in a manner that it collects at the rear end of the engine and pools there. While the plane was in the air, that area is relatively 'cool' due to altitude and whatever cooling factor cause by airflow. On the ground however both these are lost and the temperature of the engine even at that time can be high enough to reach the oil's flashpoint to ignite it.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The oil can leak in a manner that it collects at the rear end of the engine and pools there. While the plane was in the air, that area is relatively 'cool' due to altitude and whatever cooling factor cause by airflow. On the ground however both these are lost and the temperature of the engine even at that time can be high enough to reach the oil's flashpoint to ignite it.
Thanks again. I have made the assumption that the engine oil must be able to withstand the temperature created by the combustion of the jet fuel even at ground temperature as all planes must land with a hot engine. Otherwise, the engine oil might burn in the engine. Perhaps the cooling system helped to cool the engine oil. But then wouldn't the leaked oil cool faster as it is out of the lubricating system, no longer being recycled and gets heated by the hot engine?

tun_dr_m

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wing On Fire, = Fuel Tanks in BBQ! Even id fuel dumped still have residual fuel and vapor, CAN BLAST under heat of flame pressurizing the tanks inside wing.

If LHL amd Whore Jinx on board the flight they w land the NEAREST AIRPORT N OPEN EMERGENCY EXITS W SLIDES TO FLEE. Pilot crews etc WON'T BE CALLING SHOTS AT ALL!

Fucking struggled to get back Changi to save $$$$$ or what? Prolonged danger of peasants! Another country airport will charge SIA arms and legs to repair and attend to emergency.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
For a moment, I was hoping a TIONG was on board and seated next to an exit.

He would had opened the door to lit up his cig with the flame on the wing, while the rest of passenger can rush out of plane. This TIONG will be a hero that saved hundreds of passengers and crew, thereby saving all Tiong's reputation worldwide in airlines! Why are they not there when they are needed?

SeeFartLoong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: SG51 SIA.EX 222 pax mass escaped @ Changi Airport from BURNT SQ368! HUAT!

For a moment, I was hoping a TIONG was on board and seated next to an exit.

He would had opened the door to lit up his cig with the flame on the wing, while the rest of passenger can rush out of plane. This TIONG will be a hero that saved hundreds of passengers and crew, thereby saving all Tiong's reputation worldwide in airlines! Why are they not there when they are needed?

SIA on fire provide the flame to light cigarette FOC! Because normally pax lighters had been confiscated! Nice Service of SQ

emeritus CB

Alfrescian
Loyal
3 questions.

1. Boeing or Airbus?

2. How much money each passengers will get compensation from SIA?

3. When will this happen again?

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks again. I have made the assumption that the engine oil must be able to withstand the temperature created by the combustion of the jet fuel even at ground temperature as all planes must land with a hot engine. Otherwise, the engine oil might burn in the engine. Perhaps the cooling system helped to cool the engine oil. But then wouldn't the leaked oil cool faster as it is out of the lubricating system, no longer being recycled and gets heated by the hot engine?

Inflight as the oil cools and lubricates the system it gets heated up, but it is then quickly cooled by a fuel/oil heat exchanger. The cold fuel gets heated by the hot oil so there is less likelihood of freezing, and the hot oil gets cooled by the fuel.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Inflight as the oil cools and lubricates the system it gets heated up, but it is then quickly cooled by a fuel/oil heat exchanger. The cold fuel gets heated by the hot oil so there is less likelihood of freezing, and the hot oil gets cooled by the fuel.
Ah, brilliant engineering feat, using hot engine oil to preheat the fuel and cooling the oil at the same time. However, i am surprised that the aircraft manufacturers didn't take care of the risk of leaked engine oil accumulating at the rear catching fire if there are such precedences.

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes indeed, I guess too many things can go wrong that have not been foreseen by the manufacturers. They need reports from the operators of their planes to do reviews and come up with procedural and manufacturing changes. Usually these are minor stuff affecting comfort, economy and efficiency but every now and then new issues crop up which affect safety and as a result, urgent directives are disseminated to the end users.
This event may cause certain engineering and operational procedures to be reviewed and changed. The industry learns all the time.

Ah, brilliant engineering feat, using hot engine oil to preheat the fuel and cooling the oil at the same time. However, i am surprised that the aircraft manufacturers didn't take care of the risk of leaked engine oil accumulating at the rear catching fire if there are such precedences.

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these weird incidents are signs
Singapore is falling.
Too much fake Singaporean n foreigner
Has damaged the dragon pulse n feng shui of Singapore.
It has eaten more than it can bite.