• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious MIW on Brexit.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Lee Hsien Loong warn Sinkies not to follow Brexit Populist Disaster

YOu all betta not follow Brexit! Get fucked in the arse deep deep by PAP for more years to CUM!

Brexit vote a 'turning point': PM Lee

SINGAPORE: Britain's vote to leave the European Union (EU) is a turning point, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said on Friday (Jun 24), after the UK voted in a referendum to leave the EU.
The decision reflects the anxiety of the British population over immigration, their resentment at having to negotiate with and accommodate European partners, and their desire to assert British identity and sovereignty, Mr Lee stated.
"Other developed countries also face similar challenges as Britain. We all live in a globalised, interdependent world. The desire to disengage, to be less constrained by one’s partners, to be free to do things entirely as one chooses, is entirely understandable. And yet in reality for many countries disengaging and turning inwards will likely lead to less security, less prosperity, and a dimmer future.

"It is too early to tell, but we need to watch developments carefully. Nobody can foresee all the consequences of the Brexit," Mr Lee wrote on Facebook. He noted that the next few years will be uncertain ones for Britain and Europe. "What new arrangements will be made? Will this hurt investor confidence more broadly, and the global economy? How will Britain’s leaving affect the rest of the EU? How will this affect us, living in Asia but part of the same globalised world?"

Mr Lee added: "Singapore will continue to cultivate our ties with Britain, which is a long standing friend and partner. We hope in time the uncertainty will diminish, and we will make the best of the new reality.
"We wish Britain well. I wish David Cameron well too, who has been a good friend of Singapore and has announced his intention to resign as PM."
"DIVIDED WE LEAVE": THARMAN

Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam said that the markets would react negatively and overshoot, but that "this will not be like 2008 when the house came down". He added that while the uncertainty in the UK and Europe would hurt the rest of the world including Asia, "the more profound questions revolve around politics".

In a Facebook post, Mr Tharman noted that London and Scotland voted to stay in the EU while Wales and the "English provinces outside London" voted to leave. He said: "The majority of the educated class voting to stay; the less educated to leave. Those doing well in their jobs and incomes voting to stay; those who felt they’ve been losing out voted to leave. Many more of the young voted to stay; old voting to leave."

Mr Tharman noted the "growing appeal of nationalist politics, demagogues, and in some cases outright racism" as well as the "weakening of trust and consensus in society, and of the centre in politics".
To tackle it, Mr Tharman said, "the politics of the centre must stay connected to the challenges that ordinary people face - and address their need for jobs and security, and a balance in immigration that preserves a sense of identity. Tackling this without turning inward, and weakening jobs and society further, is the central challenge everywhere."

IMPLICATIONS FOR SINGAPORE

Foreign Affairs Minister Vivian Balakrishnan said he did not expect the Singapore-UK relationship to change significantly as the two had always had a "strong traditional relationship in the economy, in diplomacy, and even in defence relations".

"For instance, almost half our investments in the EU actually go to the UK ... I don't expect that to change significantly," he said on the sidelines of a Maker Faire event.

Meanwhile, Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Grace Fu said that there will be market turmoil ahead, which will affect Singapore.

"The effects on the real economy will come quickly and last for years as investors and businesses work through the possible ramification," said Ms Fu. "UK will have to deal with a messy situation that will cast a dark shadow on the global economy. Brace for gloomier outlook."

"Singapore thrives in a market with free trade and movement of goods and funds," she added in a reply to a comment from a member of the public. "If this signals a more nationalistic and protectionist world, it will not be good for us."

National Development Minister Lawrence Wong agreed that the result of the vote will have implications for Singapore.

"Beyond the initial market turbulence, this historic move is likely to have far-reaching and longer-term implications on global growth, trade and integration. So while Brexit may not be uppermost on our minds, the decision taken today will have bearing on us," Mr Wong said.

Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen said Singapore has lessons to learn from the vote."For me, the most important lesson is that change is inevitable and that when it comes, it is the solidarity of a nation’s people with each other and their leaders that will pull them through," said Dr Ng.

"Tomorrow will be a different world for UK people, and only unity and common purpose will lead them through safely and for a better future. Disunity and lack of strong leadership will blight their future, however they voted in the referendum," the Defence Minister added.

AN UNNECESSARY REFERENDUM?

Ambassador-at-Large Bilahari Kausikan also weighed in on the Brexit vote.

“It isn’t often you see a country commit suicide before your eyes,” said Mr Bilahari to Channel NewsAsia.
“We are also witnessing the tragically irrational consequences of western democracy. The UK is only an example of the dysfunctionality of a system taken to extremes," he added.

In a Facebook post, Ambassador-at-Large Tommy Koh said Mr Cameron had "messed up big time by holding an unnecessary referendum".
"The result is a tragedy for the UK and for the EU. It is a victory for populism over rationality. It is a victory for fear over hope. It will probably lead to the secession of Scotland from the UK," he wrote.
"The global wave of populism which is sweeping the world is a danger to democracy and to democratic institutions. Let us hope that it will not invade Singapore," he added.

Bilahari Kausikan fuck off. What suicide is there? The country still remains. Wait till you get kicked out for good. Then that is suicide

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Brexit: DPM Tharman have spoke

Tharman's comment is indeed well crafted. When I first read it, I too thought it covers many angles, highlighting that the greater issue is politics and not economics. However, when i read JohnTan's comments, i was surprised. John has the ability to pen down the opinion that the 70% would have i.e. how they will interprete or comprehend an article, their way. Credit to him, he is quite accurate most of the time. His comments were, if Tharman said leaving EU is bad, then it must be bad. I went through the article and found little explicit points in the article saying that leaving EU is bad. So does the article create such an impression to the 70% and why?

Firstly, the choice of words were carefully selected to influence the readers' views. For example, educated voted to stay, less educated voted to leave. Then we have those doing well and those losing and comparing the young to the old. All this comparison create an impression that those who voted out are those who are less intelligent, slower and sour grape. Well that was my feeling when I read them.

Then in the next paragraph, he started by stating that 'the big issue is not financial' but he went on to rant that the market will react negatively, less growth ..., hurt the rest of the world. I think an average reader would miss the words 'the big issue is not financial' but only remembers all the negativity mentioned. A salesman way of starting with "I am not here to sell you anything."

The most biased portion in the whole thing is this part on "people who voted to leave may end up being Burt by its economic consequences. Yet their frustration over, ... has shaped their vote." This to me is alluring to that those voting out are overcome by emotion and their decisions are not rational and wrong.

Then he went on to talk about how political centre needs to stay connected ... or else political extremist will gain appeal. To the 70% these are comforting words that our leader understands the situation. More importantly, to some of the 30%, it can be viewed as he is different from the others and he knows the problem.

To me it was a great article because 70% would have gotten the message, "what happened in Brit is the results of people who get too emotional making irrational decision, partly because they are not so up-to-date and not so educated; so don't make the same mistake. Let those who can think decide". To the 30%, he had presented himself as having full grasp of the issues and is a potential leader.

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: LKY didn't believe one man one vote is for everyone this is good example

Can all these fuckin morons crawling out now and saying they made a mistake with their vote really be believed?

No one really knows how they voted, and now we are supposed to take their word for it….they they made a terrible mistake…I call bullshit.

The establishment corporate puppets like Cameron and gang are red faced because of the bitchslapping they just received….a clear repudiation of their misguided policies that don't just exclude large swathes of people from economic benefits, but actively harm whatever little benefits they have...as well as putting the country at risk from unrestricted immigration.

These 'idiots with next day regrets' are planted by the Remain Camp to try and lessen the embarrassment and shame they must feel at being soundly rejected.

Sorry, toast cannot be bread again.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Brexit: DPM Tharman have spoken

The latter will ALWAYS have the "bigger" voice because in any (human) society the poor, the disenfranchised and the have-nots will always form the majority.

I'm just stating the obvious... :smile:

what if u create a society that is equal?not perfectly equal but as highly equal as possible,like the swiss and the scandinavians.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Who started this globalisation and open borders mass immigration bullshit needs to be shot.ultimately the losers from the poorer shittier third world countries are going to run to the richer better first world countries and local first world natives end up losing out.the only winners are the top 20 percent that controls 80,percent of the wealth and economy.

Damn right. Its sang nils utama's fault allowing pioneers into the country. Now if you want to stop immigrants coming in, you must vote umno.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"To me it was a great article because 70% would have gotten the message, "what happened in Brit is the results of people who get too emotional making irrational decision, partly because they are not so up-to-date and not so educated; so don't make the same mistake. Let those who can think decide". To the 30%, he had presented himself as having full grasp of the issues and is a potential leader."

We have a lot of 'day dream believers" in the 70%......you ALLOW IN people from 3rd world countries, that depresses the salaries of the working class & compete with these people for jobs, they go hungry, what will the reactions be?

The working class here were once considered to be the lesser educated, over the last 30 years, how many lesser educated people, we have here? We have one of the highest educated & trained workers in Asia, they are now the working class. Those they let in, compete not only with the less educated for jobs but the PMET's too.

So, is he is giving a veiled warning to those 'hungry' people, that, do not be irrational....vote for the "reputable brand" & don't be daft like the blimey British......the older ones....you have been 'fed' so, don't be irrational too..

Anyway..we are in good hands...the 70% 'day dream believers'....trust them...& anything they say...is ambrosia!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: LKY didn't believe one man one vote is for everyone this is good example

This is why democracy sucks. We should leave important decisions affecting the country to the educated elites. The layman may not be sufficiently learned to understand how things work.
A benevolent dictatorship or oligarchy is the best way to govern a country.
More democracy mean more chaos. We cannot have more chaos in our highly ordered society.

Yes peasants dunno what's good for them.
PRC and North Korean political systems are the bestest. No need voting

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tharman's comment is indeed well crafted…..

An accurate summation….

Paint anyone who disagrees with oppressive and self-serving policies as emotional and not rational.

Throw in some idealistic verbiage to placate the disenchanted, with no responsibility to do anything you just said.

Stir up some fear to keep the sheep in line.

Easy peasy.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

An accurate summation….

Paint anyone who disagrees with oppressive and self-serving policies as emotional and not rational.

Throw in some idealistic verbiage to placate the disenchanted, with no responsibility to do anything you just said.

Easy peasy.

That is what they say about CSJ & the oppositions....what is not new?...

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tharman's comment is indeed well crafted. When I first read it, I too thought it covers many angles, highlighting that the greater issue is politics and not economics. However, when i read JohnTan's comments, i was surprised. John has the ability to pen down the opinion that the 70% would have i.e. how they will interprete or comprehend an article, their way. Credit to him, he is quite accurate most of the time. His comments were, if Tharman said leaving EU is bad, then it must be bad. I went through the article and found little explicit points in the article saying that leaving EU is bad. So does the article create such an impression to the 70% and why?

Firstly, the choice of words were carefully selected to influence the readers' views. For example, educated voted to stay, less educated voted to leave. Then we have those doing well and those losing and comparing the young to the old. All this comparison create an impression that those who voted out are those who are less intelligent, slower and sour grape. Well that was my feeling when I read them.

Then in the next paragraph, he started by stating that 'the big issue is not financial' but he went on to rant that the market will react negatively, less growth ..., hurt the rest of the world. I think an average reader would miss the words 'the big issue is not financial' but only remembers all the negativity mentioned. A salesman way of starting with "I am not here to sell you anything."

The most biased portion in the whole thing is this part on "people who voted to leave may end up being Burt by its economic consequences. Yet their frustration over, ... has shaped their vote." This to me is alluring to that those voting out are overcome by emotion and their decisions are not rational and wrong.

Then he went on to talk about how political centre needs to stay connected ... or else political extremist will gain appeal. To the 70% these are comforting words that our leader understands the situation. More importantly, to some of the 30%, it can be viewed as he is different from the others and he knows the problem.

To me it was a great article because 70% would have gotten the message, "what happened in Brit is the results of people who get too emotional making irrational decision, partly because they are not so up-to-date and not so educated; so don't make the same mistake. Let those who can think decide". To the 30%, he had presented himself as having full grasp of the issues and is a potential leader.

he does it the only way he can,spoken like a shitskin.twisted and forked tongue and double logic twisting upon itself,sufficient to fool most of the simple minded but not the discerning readers on first glance,but once u peel of the layers u get the stinkin foul odor of snakeoil.

the way he phrased it London and Scotland voted to stay,while wales and the rest of the provinces outside of London chose to leave EU.Its like the whole of britain only consist of London and the other "provinces",its like London(the good guys) voted to stay,the provinces outside london who cares?they are hooligans and terrorists and anarchists and detractors.New york city is the only state in America that matters,the rest of the country is irrelevant.only what PAP says matters,the rest of you need to sit down and shut up.

Last edited:

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Democracy means people have the choice to decide their own future-.
Here its the Brits(or majority of them) deciding that its worth the pain or slower economic growth for a few years so that they can have less immigrants/cheap imports .These cheaper labour imports has mainly benefitted the businessmen.

Its like a girl choosing a guy who is less rich but of better character-unlike in some other country where the govt (father) force the girl (people)
to choose the richest guy even though he may be corrupt, smelly, and comes with a fake degree. The (people) girl has to suffer while the father (govt) gets richer at her expense and say it cannot be helped, lets move on..

Life is more than just money-wake up you 70%

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

An accurate summation….

Easy peasy.

and yet 70 percent continues to believe PAP is the voice of reason.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

A typical PAP box thinking that every populist move will hurt the citizen. If people have nothing to gain when Britian was part of Europe, there is nothing to lose when Britain leave Europe. I hated PAP for its usual one-sided warped thinking process.

pap shd just respect what the British voters decide for their country. It has got nothing to do with pap

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Bilhari & Tommy Koh on Brexit

Two old Rafflesians trying to support the regime started by another old boy LKY ( and warmed up by old boy GCT ).

So is their version of rafflesian (elitist) democracy closer to the one of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea ?

Last edited:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Who started this globalisation and open borders mass immigration bullshit

Ho Ching, control every aspect of Singapore businesses with our CPF funds, requested LHL to open door wide, so that she can get cheap labour to run Singapore Inc.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Bilhari & Tommy Koh on Brexit

So are they right ?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-leaders-weigh/2901114.html
Ambassador-at-Large Bilahari Kausikan also weighed in on the Brexit vote.

“It isn’t often you see a country commit suicide before your eyes,” said Mr Bilahari to Channel NewsAsia.

“We are also witnessing the tragically irrational consequences of western democracy. The UK is only an example of the dysfunctionality of a system taken to extremes," he added.

In a Facebook post, Ambassador-at-Large Tommy Koh said Mr Cameron had "messed up big time by holding an unnecessary referendum".

"The result is a tragedy for the UK and for the EU. It is a victory for populism over rationality. It is a victory for fear over hope. It will probably lead to the secession of Scotland from the UK," he wrote.

"The global wave of populism which is sweeping the world is a danger to Democracy and to democratic institutions. Let us hope that it will not invade Singapore," he added.

Unnecessary Tommy? He has lived a day in the UK.

and Kausikan, please shut up. You are only good for Gayle Goh.