• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Koh Sisters and their Chinese Nasi Lemak

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are gaps in this story so feel free to jump in or correct this version.

The 3 Koh Sisters were first taught how to cook Nasi Lemak by a Nonya lady. The eldest sister and her husband went on to cook and sell the now famous Punggol Nasi Lemak. This business is now in the hands of the grandson.

The second sister after helping out married and moved to Telok Blangah Rise. One of her daughters became a vet at the Turf Club and another daughter Annie Lim became a Mediacorp Artise. Second sister spotted one of those empty garages next to bungalows on Mt Faber Road from her Telok Bangah Rise flat and she hired it to cook her version of Nasi Lemak which then became known as Mt Faber Nasi Lemak. The original cooking staff were Filipino maids. Both the staff and garage used for cooking were all illegal but work was done at night for early morning delivery. Eventually they opened a shop at Prince Philip Avenue to make and sell their Mt Faber Nasi Lemak. The men were assigned to run shop and there was falling out. One of the brother-laws broke away and set up Fong Seng Nasi Lemak at Clementi road close to Pasir Panjang junction. This brother in law is also a bookie. The terms of settlement is Mt Faber will use chicken wings and Fong Seng will use Chicken drumstick to differentiate their fare. Mt Faber Nasi lemak is now at Kreta Ayer.

Lets not forget the 3rd Koh Sister. She worked as a beautician and ran her own business for years. She however could not let the other 2 get away and began her own Nasi Lemak business which is called Bali Nasi Lemak at Lor 15 Geylang.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing special with their cooking, tied all of their stalls nothing beat tos tat wete wrap in banana leaf with a piece of soak cucumber in the ikan bilis sambal tumis thats not too sweet, slightly sour and spicy. Haha, where to find today.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are gaps in this story so feel free to jump in or correct this version.

The 3 Koh Sisters were first taught how to cook Nasi Lemak by a Nonya lady. The eldest sister and her husband went on to cook and sell the now famous Punggol Nasi Lemak. This business is now in the hands of the grandson.

The second sister after helping out married and moved to Telok Blangah Rise. One of her daughters became a vet at the Turf Club and another daughter Annie Lim became a Mediacorp Artise. Second sister spotted one of those empty garages next to bungalows on Mt Faber Road from her Telok Bangah Rise flat and she hired it to cook her version of Nasi Lemak which then became known as Mt Faber Nasi Lemak. The original cooking staff were Filipino maids. Both the staff and garage used for cooking were all illegal but work was done at night for early morning delivery. Eventually they opened a shop at Prince Philip Avenue to make and sell their Mt Faber Nasi Lemak. The men were assigned to run shop and there was falling out. One of the brother-laws broke away and set up Fong Seng Nasi Lemak at Clementi road close to Pasir Panjang junction. This brother in law is also a bookie. The terms of settlement is Mt Faber will use chicken wings and Fong Seng will use Chicken drumstick to differentiate their fare. Mt Faber Nasi lemak is now at Kreta Ayer.

Lets not forget the 3rd Koh Sister. She worked as a beautician and ran her own business for years. She however could not let the other 2 get away and began her own Nasi Lemak business which is called Bali Nasi Lemak at Lor 15 Geylang.

Interesting piece of food history....din know they are all related.
Of all Fong Seng is the shittiest.....rice got no fragrance.....they got another shop along Clementi outside Kent ridge. Their selling point is probably 24hrs operation.

Next shittiest is fight between bali and Punggol.

Mt faber is probably the best.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Haha, where to find today.

I go across the causeway for that! My jiuhoo relatives in Muar would help get me those!
Nothing fancy, just good old nasi, coupled with ikan bilis and sambal tumis, with a thin slice of cucumber with it. Used to be 50 cts ringgit.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sounds like it has all the ingredients of a good tv serial on the lines of Dallas or similar.

Next to do one on Roxy Laksa too.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Prawn noodles also got one family dynasty.....
Branches out from old jalan sultan opposite kubor lane where Santa grand is now.
The kids all opened at blanco court, east coast, geylang, jalan kayu and joo Chiat all very famous in own right. Sadly joo Chiat closed already

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fong Seng's boss is a bookie, can't be bothered with quality. He relies on his hardworking wife and other family members. They are very lucky in picking the location which is below the University hostels so business throat the night.

Interesting piece of food history....din know they are all related.
Of all Fong Seng is the shittiest.....rice got no fragrance.....they got another shop along Clementi outside Kent ridge. Their selling point is probably 24hrs operation.

Next shittiest is fight between bali and Punggol.

Mt faber is probably the best.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Prawn noodles also got one family dynasty..... Branches out from old jalan sultan opposite kubor lane where Santa grand is now. The kids all opened at blanco court, east coast, geylang, jalan kayu and joo Chiat all very famous in own right. Sadly joo Chiat closed already
What about the one near Kallang MRT, Jalan Sultan Prawn Mee. Is it related to them too?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about the one near Kallang MRT, Jalan Sultan Prawn Mee. Is it related to them too?

Yes that's the geylang lor 1 branch. By one of the sons. Apparently siblings not on very good terms.
Signature about their stalls are selling ngoh hiang too. And self made lemonade. Only the joo Chiat one which did not own its own coffeeshop did not have that.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Prawn noodles also got one family dynasty..... Branches out from old jalan sultan opposite kubor lane where Santa grand is now. The kids all opened at blanco court, east coast, geylang, jalan kayu and joo Chiat all very famous in own right. Sadly joo Chiat closed already

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Yes that's the geylang lor 1 branch. By one of the sons. Apparently siblings not on very good terms. Signature about their stalls are selling ngoh hiang too. And self made lemonade. Only the joo Chiat one which did not own its own coffeeshop did not have that.
Yes, I always order the Ngoh Hiang and lemon juice when I am there. The Ngoh Hiang is not bad, very nice selection and tasty, but the prawn mee getting expensive. Like $10 a bowl now. But good to the last drop of soup. They also have a pig tail pork rib soup that is damn good too.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, I always order the Ngoh Hiang and lemon juice when I am there. The Ngoh Hiang is not bad, very nice selection and tasty, but the prawn mee getting expensive. Like $10 a bowl now. But good to the last drop of soup. They also have a pig tail pork rib soup that is damn good too.

Yes all the stalls have managed to maintain standards maybe 85% of their old man's skill.
Service is fast too even with crowd. They dun make you wait and queue like some sadist hawkers i.e. ah Hwa Ba chor mee.
Geylang branch is the only one to claim jalan sultan prawn noodles.
The boss actually told me before that he gets a satisfaction when customers finished up the soup.....and if you left your bowl half eaten he will come by to ask for feedback.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Yes all the stalls have managed to maintain standards maybe 85% of their old man's skill. Service is fast too even with crowd. They dun make you wait and queue like some sadist hawkers i.e. ah Hwa Ba chor mee. Geylang branch is the only one to claim jalan sultan prawn noodles. The boss actually told me before that he gets a satisfaction when customers finished up the soup.....and if you left your bowl half eaten he will come by to ask for feedback.
Thank goodness, i always finish to the last drop of the soup. Damn delish. But his price is getting too damn high. sigh. And yes, the service is quite fast. I never waited too long.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, that's the one. Was bookie before he opened the Nasi Lemak joint.

Famous in Geylang, GD sure must hve rub shoulder wit him. Haha

The Joo Chiat prawn noodles has no connection wit Jln kubor, they started Father and Son selling on push cart, the Son use to walk and sound his arrival wit the bamboo beat, tick tok, tick tok. Their soup were slightly darker and had a strand of Kangkong. In the late 70s the Son took a space at the Coffee Shop along Joo Chiat pl and did it on his own. Still remember him, nice and friendly to all his customers.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Famous in Geylang, GD sure must hve rub shoulder wit him. Haha

The Joo Chiat prawn noodles has no connection wit Jln kubor, they started Father and Son selling on push cart, the Son use to walk and sound his arrival wit the bamboo beat, tick tok, tick tok. Their soup were slightly darker and had a strand of Kangkong. In the late 70s the Son took a space at the Coffee Shop along Joo Chiat pl and did it on his own. Still remember him, nice and friendly to all his customers.

The joo Chiat (now closed down) I was referring to was located in coffeeshop at junction of carpmael and crane road in joo Chiat just behind hdb carpark of haig road.
Confirmed related to jln kubor/jalan sultan/beach road prawn noodle dynasty. The aunty manning the stall was 2nd gen.....she closed down due to bad health. I know her well and she always gives me a seperate bowl of fried onions and lard on the side.
For documentation of the lineage.....refer to Dr Leslie Tay's ieatishoot food blog.