• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Name your 3 favourite local hawker dishes - First instincts are the best - Be quick.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Name your 3 favourite local hawker dishes - First instincts are the best - Be qu

Cheng Tng at Bedok Corner always good. Have not been there since the owner passed away but I think his elder brother might be running it. Bedok Camp boys will remember this.

Cheng-tng family at the next stall sells cuttle fish kangkong..... so ridiculous selling at $15 per plate.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Name your 3 favourite local hawker dishes - First instincts are the best - Be qu

Try the beef noodles at the hawker centre opposite ICA - Blanco court bkt, I think. Their chilli is out of this world and $ is fair. They stopped selling into the night coz of manpower problems. Lunch time is a safer bet. I used to eat there at around midnight.

My favourite Hainanese curry png is at Maxwell food center. Always a long queue line.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal

You find very good char siew pao, siew mai and fun-choy at:

Hua Ji Bao Dang 华记包档
Bukit Merah View Market & Food Centre
Blk 115 Bukit Merah View #01-535

Operated by a very polite couple and usually sell out by 2 - 3 pm.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thats the elder brother. I spoke to younger brother Andrew who runs the Cheng Tng stall before he passed away and asked why his elder brother charge so high and also mentioned that compared to his stall, very little business. He told me "long story" and did not want to talk about it. Younger brother collects antique and old rolex watches. Nice bugger, a bit girly and very mischievous.

Cheng-tng family at the next stall sells cuttle fish kangkong..... so ridiculous selling at $15 per plate.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You find very good char siew pao, siew mai and fun-choy at:

Hua Ji Bao Dang 华记包档
Bukit Merah View Market & Food Centre
Blk 115 Bukit Merah View #01-535

Operated by a very polite couple and usually sell out by 2 - 3 pm.

Funny you should mention polite.
Reminds me of the CB kia rude Fucker shop assistant at tiong bahru bao.....
Got into a fight with him in the toa payoh branch some years back....

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

For strong chilli, I recommend Dunman Road FC wanton mee, noodles I think so-so but chilli is damn shiok!
The other place I go for strong chilli is at City Plaza, Poon Nah City, Home made noodles. They have those ban-mian style noodles with prawn or abalone, etc. I go for the dry version and chiong the chilli over there.

P.S: they use chilli padi

This ban mian over rated I dunno why so many fans.
Some told me because they used the old school leaf veggie.
The one at old airport called JB ban mian also just as good and use the same ingredient. And the chiobu ah Lian running the stall at night is added bonus.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

For strong chilli, I recommend Dunman Road FC wanton mee, noodles I think so-so but chilli is damn shiok!
The other place I go for strong chilli is at City Plaza, Poon Nah City, Home made noodles. They have those ban-mian style noodles with prawn or abalone, etc. I go for the dry version and chiong the chilli over there.

P.S: they use chilli padi

Yup. The wonton mee chilli at Dunman Rd us damn hot! Agree with you that noodles very ordinary.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My favourite Hainanese curry png is at Maxwell food center. Always a long queue line.

Was told the one at Tiong Bahru also very bagus. I take mine nearer home - upp Serangoon rd, opp a petrol kiosk.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yup. The wonton mee chilli at Dunman Rd us damn hot! Agree with you that noodles very ordinary.

Hot chili eng kee along tanjong katong road also not bad. They got warning for the chilli

Gigo88

Alfrescian
Loyal

For me, the 3 are

1. Outram Road Char Kway Teow (Hong Lim Complex)
2. Sungei Road Laksa (Blk 28 Jalan Besar?)
3. Hainanese Curry Rice (Kitchener Road)

Have not tried the Hainanese Curry Rice at Maxwell food centre. Will make an effort to do so in coming weeks.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal

In the vicinity, also

1. claypot laksa - alexandra village used to be at depot road
2. wanton noodles - same place used to be at dover rd opp fairfield girls'
3. nice desserts - jin jin stall same place alexandra village

Further down to jalan bukit merah central,

1. lai heng bak chor mee/fishball mee - opp the multistorey car park Blk 165 coffeeshop
2. fish head soup - blk 163 food centre facing, nearest NTUC
3. bak kut teh - ah hwa - beo crescent behind the shell station

There is a corner stall in Redhill market that has nice black carrot cake run by a middle aged couple. ABC also has nice Kway Teow stall. Across the road at Alexandra village, there is Bak Ku Teh stall facing the back of a row of car spare parts shops. Diagonally opposite facing a shop selling glass and picture frame is a stall selling nice Chinese Fish Head curry.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

My willpower is bad when it comes to food. Made a number of attempts to try the claypot laksa but ended up having the Bah Ku Teh. The cut chill in the black sauce with the right texture is just too much.

In the vicinity, also

1. lai heng bak chor mee/fishball mee - opp the multistorey car park Blk 165 coffeeshop

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Anyone tired the Chinese fish head curry at Blk 34 Dover Road. Recommended by one of the forummers here. Different but good. Really fresh. They also offer other curry dishes. s

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal

In the vicinity, also

This wan cannot liao cos it has been taken over by a PRC family and run by ATBs.

Used to patronise the stall when it was run by an old couple and their children.