• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Death sentence that protected an entire generation

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
At lot of good and decent families lost their kids to drug. Imagine the son of the Raffles Institution Principal lost to drugs and he was not the exception. Even senior police, Army and Civl Servants were affected. Since the introduction of the Death Penalty, the only kid of a celebrity that surfaced in recent years was Peter Lim's.

As we were the nearest big port to the Golden Triangle, the kids got hooked to China White no. 4 and it was lot more pure than when it reached the West and Australia.

I got an old pal who was into drugs as common in the 70s. He thanked the government for the tough actions esp death sentence that caused him to stop drugs, and to sober up. Or else he and his whole family would have to suffer from these.

There might be some screw-ups and maybe possible abuse but on the whole, this pragmatic policy has served this country well.

No qualms about it.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do remember the glue sniffing that caught hold of Chinese school going youngsters. Before it became illegal, you could see kids sniffing glue in plastics bags. It also affected the secret society members For once the Malay youths were not as affected. I remember the case of genuinely desperate farmer in Lim Chu Kang that built a cage and chained his son out of desperation. The poor kid's brain was already affected. Eventually the govt acted.

Agree on the meth. I also remember in the late 90s, Filipinos working here were hooked on ice and it was brought across by the seamen from their country.

Not sure how many are aware but heroin is no longer the step-up from ganja locally which was a step-up from glue sniffing. How many Remember the ad campaigns on TV against the glue sniffing epidemic of the early 80s?

It's the meth that is the scourge amongst the youth now. This started back in very early 2000 from across the causeway and was transported by mules via the KL-Singapore coaches.

The number of convictions for heroin abuse is no longer what it used to be in the 80s - AMK was a distribution hub then. The late Ramseth's neighbourhood was one such druggie zone.

I don't think they even sell heroin in straws anymore or ganja as sticks is also no longer sold in that form. And prices are not $15 a straw or $10 a stick anymore either.

Pills have also taken over the scene and we are not talking about the upjon and eremin abuse stemming from clinics in Eunos and Queensway.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I support the death penalty. Saving lives is more important than sparing criminals, many of whom inflict damage on their victims that scar them for life and lead to destruction of whole families.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder how many remember in the old days when elderly aunties wearing jewellery were ambushed at the lift landings as they were heading to the markets by drug addicts from their own neighbourhoods. Some sadly died. Used to see the press reports daily.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is one piece of legislation that has wide support as many Singaporeans have seen the death and destruction. You could not hide it as most people grew up in HDB flats and not in isolated landed properties where you can hide such things at least for a while. Even market stall holders use to complain about their stalls ransacked by these druggies when the close for the day.

I support the death penalty. Saving lives is more important than sparing criminals, many of whom inflict damage on their victims that scar them for life and lead to destruction of whole families.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Attended Saturday's "Kenna Police how - your due prpcess" rally at Hong Lim organised by 3 entities - Community Action Network (CAN), Function8 and Think Centre. There were about 100 people including Chee and PT. People spoke but none of them actually addressed the topic. The death sentence did come out quite often. Not sure what the 3 entities did in terms of organisation but certainly missed an opportunity to raise some pertinent issues.

Anyway I did wonder how an entire generation may have benefitted from the death sentence. I know that drugs were not freely available and 99% of Singaporeans may not even seen what a straw of heroin looks like. I do remember prior to the introduction of the death sentence, lots of famous personalities, scions of rich families etc ended in DRCs. whole HDB blacks in some housing estate became hot zones etc. Used to see nightclub hostess lying on the pavement completely stoned.

Not sure if these activists know what it was like in the 70s when drugs began entering the country .

It is not about the dealth sentence. I am against a blind judge who sentenced the wrong person to the gallow. Many innocent people were wrongly killed by the court and they are not even the main culprit of drug trafficking. You know there are people who made use of low IQ people to carry out crime and when caught, the low IQ victim was not able to argue his way out of the dealth sentence in from of AGC.

chongpangchixwings

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Protecting innocent people from drug addicts who get addicted because of drug dealers is the most important thing to do. Death to drug dealers if it is proven without any doubt whatsoever that they did commit that crime.

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It was true that some useless high ranking cops feared to arrest and hang any White person.

When the authorities came to know of the activities of this White Dutchman, a certain high ranking officer (a former ISD officer who was chucked out of ISD for bungling Ops Spectrum - the Catholic Church social activists case ) gave instructions that the officers should avoid arresting the White man but concentrate instead on his African conspirators instead.

The officers on the ground gave this useless boss the middle finger. They made it their mission to catch the boss, a White man, risking the consequences......

Following much hard work, they managed to get the main players in the syndicate. The White man was hanged, as were his African accomplices.

Thank God we had officers who dared to act on their conscience and not blindly follow illegal directives of politically motivated bosses.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Long Jaw......?

It was true that some useless high ranking cops feared to arrest and hang any White person.

When the authorities came to know of the activities of this White Dutchman, a certain high ranking officer (a former ISD officer who was chucked out of ISD for bungling Ops Spectrum - the Catholic Church social activists case ) gave instructions that the officers should avoid arresting the White man but concentrate instead on his African conspirators instead.

The officers on the ground gave this useless boss the middle finger. They made it their mission to catch the boss, a White man, risking the consequences......

Following much hard work, they managed to get the main players in the syndicate. The White man was hanged, as were his African accomplices.

Thank God we had officers who dared to act on their conscience and not blindly follow illegal directives of politically motivated bosses.

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unlike other crimes, there is usually no complainant in a case of drug trafficking - Willing seller, willing buyer.

To crack a drug case, enforcement officers had to rely on informants for their "First Information report"

In exchange, officers sometimes had to turn a blind eye to the activities of the informant. This is where CPIB fixes up well-intentioned drug law enforcement officers. One such very productive Malay ASP in the 80s and 90s was hounded out of office by CPIB until he had no where to go but to leave the country. On his return, he was arrested and thrown into the lockup for sometime, until the had to release him for lack of evidence.

The Malay community lost an effective officer which could have done much for his community, but for the idiots in CPIB, who incidentally, was led by an Indian Muslim...... another case of a Muslim farking up another Muslim.... and the well being his own Muslim community....

Lohmee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got death penalty still got drugs problem. Death penalty will never solve drugs problems. When people are desparate they will give it a shot.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The amount is immaterial. Far more important is the message that the death penalty has sent.

I've seen first hand the death, devastation and misery that drugs cause and I'm fully supportive of the PAP's tough stand against this scourge of modern society.

Each execution saves the lives of many. The trade off is well worth it.

And yet today, we still have drug offences, we still have drug addicts, and we still have death sentences for drug offences, so its has not worked in the last 50 years.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I got an old pal who was into drugs as common in the 70s. He thanked the government for the tough actions esp death sentence that caused him to stop drugs, and to sober up. Or else he and his whole family would have to suffer from these.

There might be some screw-ups and maybe possible abuse but on the whole, this pragmatic policy has served this country well.

No qualms about it.

and how about those innocent people that were sentenced to death? Why don't you look up Vignes Mourthi and tell me they did not hang an innocent man framed by a corrupt police Sgt.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
And yet today, we still have drug offences, we still have drug addicts, and we still have death sentences for drug offences, so its has not worked in the last 50 years.

You're being ridiculous. No punitive measures are going to eliminate a problem 100% no matter how harsh the penalties.

However in Singapore chances of your kids having access to drugs is minuscule.

In NZ where drug peddlers are let off lightly the problems are huge and affect whole communities.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/71932131/NZs-meth-legacy-may-affect-motels-baches-and-even-cars

Could a tenth of all New Zealand motel rooms now be toxic from P smoking? Is every property investor at risk of huge methamphetamine clean-up bills? JOHN McCRONE reports on the growing meth decontamination industry.

Marketing an ex-meth house has its problems. How do you run the open home for a start? Prospective buyers for a recent back-section, three-bedroom bungalow auction in Christchurch found themselves standing outside and peering through the windows.

They had the option of going inside, at their own risk. But advertised as "contaminated, uninsured, property of a deceased estate", there were not many there to admire the indoor-outdoor flow. With a rateable value of $370,000, the Bishopdale home eventually passed under the hammer at a steeply discounted $287,000.

On its own, it seems just another modern-day cautionary tale. Perhaps even a thumbs up because it suggests that tighter estate agent disclosure rules are working.

But there are those who say that methamphetamine or P contamination of properties has become a major hidden health issue in New Zealand. And it is not simply the pop-up meth labs where cooking has occurred that are the worry. Meth smoking itself will coat any room with its toxic residue.

Dr Nicholas Powell of Forensic and Industrial Science, whose Auckland laboratory has almost been given over to meth testing, says any time you now rent a house or book a weekend bach, you need to wonder who might have used the place before you.

It makes him sound a bit of a nerd, Powell admits, but he routinely swabs his motel whenever he travels, then analyses the results when he gets back to the lab. "It's a busman's holiday I guess."

Powell mentions a particular motor camp in Christchurch where he was staying with his family. The tourist cabin was not just freshly painted but also varnish-sealed. That was a wee bit suspicious, says Powell.

"I thought this is nicely spruced up. Then I couldn't sleep. I was very restless all night. My little girl had a bad night's sleep as well." Powell says meth is a potent stimulant and even trace amounts can produce an effect, especially on non-users, the young, and the elderly.

It was worse than he thought. "I was quite shocked. From the chemical signature, it was clear there'd been actual meth manufacture undertaken in the unit."
Powell says merely finding evidence of meth smoking would hardly surprise him anymore. "I find traces in about half of all North Island motels where I stay. About a third in the South Island."
1442122405991.jpg

CONTRIBUTED
Dr Nick Powell of Forensic & Industrial Science routinely swabs his motel rooms.

It shows just how widespread use has become, he says. And while usually the concentrations are safely below Ministry of Health (MoH) guidelines, about 10 per cent of the time they are over.

Powell, who is also deputy chair of the cross-agency Auckland Regional Methamphetamine Working Group (ARMWG), speaks with something of the bemused detachment of the scientist. He is only reporting what he is finding.

But there are others in the fast-expanding meth testing and clean-up industry happy to talk about meth contamination as a ticking time bomb problem for the country – and not just as a general health risk, but as the next "leaky homes" financial nightmare for property owners.

Todd Sheppard of Hamilton-based Envirocheck is driving cross-country when I call, on his way to supervise the stripping out of another rental that was turned into a clandestine P lab.

Sheppard says in the past few years his business has grown from a one man band to a staff of 11 with clean ups like this that can cost a property owner or insurer up to $100,000 once you start ripping out the walls, ceilings and carpets.

He says it is a bigger issue than people realise because it is only since 2010 that there has been an official guideline from the MoH on what counts as meth contamination. That was when local authorities were forced to take notice and so the testing and clean-up business really began. But P had already been in wide circulation for a decade before then, so his clean-up teams are dealing with a legacy of poisons often built up over many years.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

After Van Damme was sentenced to death, the other Dutch woman arrested the same year was acquited. Her trial was a few months after Van Damme's trial. Her defence was the same as Van Damme. Namely, they both did not know what was in their bags. How come one got sentenced and the other got acquiited. You better ask the PAP that question, and the judge too. I believe van Damme was guilty but I also believe the Dutch woman was guilty too. How can "I don't know what I was carrying in my luggage" be a defence. This is the problem with the death penalty. One judge cannot be making such apparently inconsistent decisions.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
You're being ridiculous. No punitive measures are going to eliminate a problem 100% no matter how harsh the penalties.

However in Singapore chances of your kids having access to drugs is minuscule.

In NZ where drug peddlers are let off lightly the problems are huge and affect whole communities.

U are the one being an idiot. There are many deterrents to drug trafficking here. Long prison sentence and the rotan are the main deterrent, not the death penalty. Prisoners would gladly exchange longer prison terms for strokes of the rotan. U don't need to add the death penalty. If the govt execute 100 people, and 99 were really guilty and one turned out to be innocent, that price is already too high. Get it?