• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Legal to cycle on pedestrian walkways in 2017?

MisterGuard

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember, a couple of months ago, there was some debate going on about legalizing cycling on pedestrian walkways in 2017.

If I am not wrong, it is currently not legal for cyclists to cycle on the pedestrian walkways right? But in 2017, that will be allowed.

I want to write an article about that but, despite Googling "cycling" "singapore" and "2017", I haven't been able to find the news article about the government making this announcement.

So I would like to ask:

Does any forumners here have links to any news articles about this law? Ideally, an article about the government making an official annoucement.

fanta

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=1]Allow bicycles, personal mobility devices on footpaths, but with speed limits: Advisory panel[/h] [h=2]Personal mobility aids, conventional bicycles and personal mobility devices should be allowed on footpaths, but with speeds limited at 15km/h, the Active Mobility Advisory Panel says.[/h]
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/allow-bicycles-personal/2611700.html

SINGAPORE: The Active Mobility Advisory Panel on Thursday (Mar 17) submitted its proposed rules and code of conduct for the safe use of footpaths, cycling paths and shared paths to the Transport Ministry.

Among its recommendations, the 14-member panel made suggestions on the type of devices to be allowed on various paths. It recommended personal mobility aids, like motorised wheelchairs, conventional bicycles, as well as personal mobility devices like kick-scooters and hoverboards on footpaths, and on cycling and shared paths, like Park Connectors.

Previously, bicycles and personal mobility devices were not allowed on footpaths.

But while the panel recommended electric bicycles should be allowed on cycling and shared paths, they should still be banned on footpaths. It also recommended that bicycles and electric bicycles be allowed to continue being used on the roads.

XoHcnTZ.jpg

In addition, the panel suggested electric bicycles be registered to facilitate enforcement against errant riders and those who illegally modify electric bicycles.

Key rules were also listed in the panel's report that it recommended be enforceable by law and which may result in penalties if not followed. These include ensuring personal mobility devices and mobility aids are equipped with lights visible from the front and back, which must be switched on when dark.

Speed limits of 15 km/h on footpaths and 25km/h on shared paths and cycling paths were also recommended.

The panel also suggested that a maximum of two are allowed to cycle side-by-side on all roads with at least two lanes in that direction with the exception of roads with bus lanes during bus operational hours. Cycling against the flow of traffic on roads should also not be allowed, it said.

As a further safeguard, the panel also recommended a physical criteria for all bicycles and personal mobility devices.

They include a maximum unladen weight of 20 kg and a maximum width of 700 millimetres.

8BcSJnK.jpg

Said head of the panel, Associate Professor Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim, Parliamentary Secretary for Education and Social and Family Development: "Many of the respondents shared that they don't mind sharing paths with cyclists and personal mobility device users at this point in time, but what they would like is that the rules and code of conduct be followed by all these users. So as such, the panel has developed a set of rules and code of conduct, in our view which are practical, fair, clear and most importantly to have safeguards for all users."

Co-founder of Love Cycling SG group and panel member Francis Chu said: "Currently, as cyclists, especially for those slower cyclists, they have to face two difficult choices. One is risk their life on the road because they are slower, they have higher chance of getting into an accident. Second, is to break the law and go on the pavement.

"With the new sets of rules and code of conduct, it become legal to use the footpath safely to get from A to B but at the same time they have to take responsibility of not endangering other slower users on the footpath."

Another member of the panel, Denis Koh, the chairman of Big Wheel Scooters Singapore said it is inevitable that there will be a lot of questions raised and "hurdles" with the introduction of new rules. "But we have actually come up with these rules for the long term car-lite nation," he said.

Cyclists and pedestrians Channel NewsAsia spoke with welcomed the recommendations. Said business development executive Ming Jing: "It could work if it's implemented properly. Just divide into two paths for the safety of the pedestrians and the cyclists."

IT executive Mohamed Riaz said: "Especially in housing estates, it's easier to move around with a bicycle or e-scooter. So, I guess this kind of new rules should more or less encourage people to cycle, be more active.

"It's very difficult to define where you walk or where you cycle unless it's clearly defined," said architect Jason Wang who owns an e-bike. "So, first rule if you actually cycle on the footpath where there are pedestrians is to do it very, very cautiously; do it very slowly."

Chairman of the Singapore Road Safety Council Bernard Tay also said the recommendations "signify an important step that we are taking to enhance safety for all users".

"Beyond a set of clear and consistent rules, public education and adoption of these rules is equally important," Mr Tay said in an email on Friday. "To this end, the Singapore Road Safety Council remains committed to continually improve safety on our roads and work with the various agencies to inculcate good safety practices amongst all road users."

The Transport Ministry said it will study the recommendations and issue its response in due course.

- CNA/kk

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Spore there is the road & pedestrian walkways. The road is being used by cars. trucks, motorcycles. Everyone else is using the pedestrian walkways:eek:
I've never seen anyone getting fined for misusing the walkways.

So the law being passed in 2017 is just wayang lah.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
To all sinkie shit loser... They can pass any law, but it is up to people to follow it.. If the people dun give a Fuck.. What can the fucking law do..

Sinkies losers do not understand this concept, no wonder kannada screwed whole life by their own government.. Fucking disgrace.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Johnny, no laws have been passed yet, expected in 2017, which is 6 months away. These are all recommendations. The wardens are there to provide advice. The public is aware that no laws have been passed thus many refuse to stop when asked by the wardens.

In Spore there is the road & pedestrian walkways. The road is being used by cars. trucks, motorcycles. Everyone else is using the pedestrian walkways:eek:
I've never seen anyone getting fined for misusing the walkways.

So the law being passed in 2017 is just wayang lah.

coogans

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Johnny, no laws have been passed yet, expected in 2017, which is 6 months away. These are all recommendations. The wardens are there to provide advice. The public is aware that no laws have been passed thus many refuse to stop when asked by the wardens.

Some retard who posted just before you claims no need to stop even after it becomes law. Something like if you dont obey the law then it doesnt exist sort of mentality.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why they allow to ride on pedestrian walkway.
Well if I walk on footpath. Then the scooter hit me.
Can I claim any medical fee from them or report to police?

Like this how to Ensure my safety now if I walking on pedestrian walkway.
Pedestrian walkway is designed for pedestrian not for bicycle and scooter.
So many vehicles now on pedestrian walkway, I hope pap should come out with some rule to Ensure my safety as I walk a lot.

This news really make me 火大。

Now already so many vehicles on walkway. Any place I can complain? Anybody can advise me. Serious, I really want to complain!!

MisterGuard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for providing the links, guys! :smile:

When I was working as a school guard, I promised my colleague to write a petition to oppose the passing of this law. I have been busy with my own stuff lately but time to get started.

As security guards working at a school, we understood the problems that this law would cause. Time to let the government hear our voice.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for providing the links, guys! :smile:

When I was working as a school guard, I promised my colleague to write a petition to oppose the passing of this law. I have been busy with my own stuff lately but time to get started.

As security guards working at a school, we understood the problems that this law would cause. Time to let the government hear our voice.

if they pass any law, some tiongs, nehs and banglas are going to break them. if there's no serious accident involving grievous injury or death or anything embarrassing about enforcement that goes viral on social media, poodles and the law are not going to help. my dad's legs and ankle got mangled up badly involving stitches and 6 months healing, and this bangla cyclist who banged into him at reasonably high speed on a pedestrian walkway got away scot free. scdf showed up in ambulance and poodles were no where to be seen. there was much blood on the walkway. luckily he survived. if my dad were to cycle and bang the bangla, he would be charged for causing grevious hurt, never mind if there's a pedestrian-cyclist right of way law or not. the law, if any, will be enforced on sinkies mostly.....because sinkies are easily bullied into submission.