• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why do S'poreans hold on their citizenship and why some don't when they migrate?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have met many over the years and asked the same question. And the answers are varied and 99% of the time it does make sense. Here are some examples

For holding on:-

1. The world is my oyster lot - this group are usually well educated and well travelled, usually in business and really know their stuff. They also can differentiate facts from myth. They also have no issues being Singaporean but have decided to broaden their options and usually driven to educate their children overseas. The CPF is usually small compared to other assets. Lots of retirees in this group and usually ex-civil servants, teachers etc with and without pension.

2. Singapore females - either married to a foreigner or went to study and then work overseas. This is arguably one of the biggest groups. Many are from the 70s and 80s and like Malaysians during that era went to do nursing, physiotherapy, law, social sciences, beauty and cosmetics courses etc. They remained but many do the annual pilgrimage home to visit family and relatives. This lot again has no push factors from Singapore, just grabbed opportunities that were available overseas. They see no reason to give up their citizenship as they have no CPF and enjoy the perk of dual citizenship.

3. Kiasu - not many but usually unsure of themselves and the long term prospects in a new country. Some are also unsure of things like local inheritance laws and afraid that they cannot inherit HDB flats or landed properties if they are no longer Singapore citizens. Also includes ownership concerns in certain businesses. They are also unfortunately not conversant in tax and other laws in their new country and struggle to repatriate their assets in later years.

For not holding on:-

1. Need the CPF lot - over 95% of Singaporeans are in this category. To buy the new home, fund their new adventure and seek better investment returns. Many would love to hold on to their SG citizenship if given the chance.

2. The world is my Oyster - again surprisingly the same attributes as those who hold on but in their case they want to move on and not dwell in the past. Absolutely delighted and confident of their future. Nothing against Singapore.

3. Bitter lot - this lot you can spot a mile away. Really angry and every discussion and comment is laden with outright criticism or sarcasm related to Singapore. They can range from the highly educated to those who are not. Usually the husband. All his friends and others attending a gathering will normally let this individual to speak and exhaust himself. And funnily it is not about politics. Mr Grump will probably have gripes about everything else outside Singapore as well.

4. Disciplinary/Criminal record back home lot - they just want a clean start or to wipe away bad memories. Usually reticent in group gatherings. The spouse will usually explain and most people are aware.

5. NS Liability lot - use to be big in the early years and wrongly assumed that their their male child will no longer be liable for NS if they give up SG citizenship. Only realise that they cannot renounce for their kids. But also not aware of the proper procedures.

Last edited:

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal,
May be when they die they want to buried in Sinkiepore a land of their birth place. What abt you, what wud you do if now you holding a dual citizen?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Scroobal,
May be when they die they want to buried in Sinkiepore a land of their birth place. What abt you, what wud you do if now you holding a dual citizen?

I thought there was no more space for burials. Everyone is reduced to ashes except the muslims that have to put up with being stacked on top of each other.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought there was no more space for burials. Everyone is reduced to ashes except the muslims that have to put up with being stacked on top of each other.

That's just an excuse, same as when LKY implemented the stop at 2, land scarce Spore was it!
Now they invite thousands Ah Nehs, PRC and Pinoys to take up Shittyzens.

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have not contemplated renouncing my SG citizenship seriously. Yet. But as each year passes, the layers of factors are leading to that decision point.

I don't need to withdraw my CPF yet even though it will take care of a significant portion of my mortgage. I have a career that is more dynamic than it was in Singapore which requires me to travel often. I have colleagues and friends who come from even more diverse backgrounds than I had in Singapore, which was already more diverse than the majority of Singaporeans have. I have a lifestyle which enables me to pursue more experiences than I could in Singapore, because of the climate, geographies and open-mindedness.

It will be the push factors that will make me surrender my SG citizenship: if the political situation continues to atrophy; if bad decisions continue to be made by them; and especially if I see that the majority of Singaporeans cannot understand how the country is gradually being ruined in the long-term.

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Holding on to Spore citizenship actually has its advantage because Spore has a very "low tax". I don't pay tax on my dividend , interest and capital gain.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Someone described Spore as nothing more than an expensive hotel. Once you no longer have the $ to for your room you are discarded.

This is turning out to be true & if you can't afford Spore you better find a cheaper place elsewhere.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have met many over the years and asked the same question. And the answers are varied and 99% of the time it does make sense...

The truth is out there but all imported foreign shits know the rule of the game better than native sinkies.

When a foreign shit became a sinkie, he would leave his CPF untouched and continue to reside in his own slum/crime land while running a business in sinkie land to enjoy all the perks and benefits given by pappies to companies in the island.

When the pappies encouraged companies in sinapor to go global for business, all these imported foreign shits were already globe trotting for light years before pappies made the call, not for benefits of their new squatter, but to enjoy the perks and privileges for themselves.

To avoid NS for his male children, he would not bring them to reside in the island until they have passed the cut-off age for NS eligibility and all of them would suddenly apply to become new foreign shits.

Do the pappies know the game of these foreign shits? The truth is out there.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
...It will be the push factors that will make me surrender my SG citizenship: if the political situation continues to atrophy; if bad decisions continue to be made by them; and especially if I see that the majority of Singaporeans cannot understand how the country is gradually being ruined in the long-term.

Pappies ain't afraid of those native sinkies who wanted to quit and run road. For every native sinkie road runner gone, pappies would simply allow in another 10 or 100 foreign imported shits to replace him. Pappies are actually afraid of those native sinkies who wanted to stay on and kick them out of running the Govt at the next GE.

So, if you want to make your country great again, stay and kick the pappies' asshole.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone described Spore as nothing more than an expensive hotel. Once you no longer have the $ to for your room you are discarded.

This is turning out to be true & if you can't afford Spore you better find a cheaper place elsewhere.

No matter how expensive sinapo is, the small island is still home to native sinkies. Those foreigners including the SPRs and imported foreign shits who could not tahan the high cost of living in sinapo, no one cares if they wanted to quit and balek kampong.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's just an excuse, same as when LKY implemented the stop at 2, land scarce Spore was it!
Now they invite thousands Ah Nehs, PRC and Pinoys to take up Shittyzens.

All new foreign imported shits regard pappies as their God, the one true God, visible and alive, which gives them Govt subsidized new HDB flats, jobs, education, medical benefits, etc which none of their own Govts back home in their slum land was able to give them.

In gratitude, and possibly out of fear, they would not dare to displease their one true living God and when GE came, they would surely appease the God with their votes.

As for many natives sinkies, they knew the living God had gone mad and ought to get kicked out.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nostalgia i guess,memories of ur childhood growing up.its also like visiting a ex communist USSR country that has tormented you all ur life and ur uncle.u look at the berlin wall around singapore and sigh with bittersweet memories and the 3.5 million wackos living on this island.

a place to anchor u down,the world is a vast vast place like outer space,some people are lost souls who wander about the universe in search of the stars and urselves,looking for reasons for their own being and existentialism.sometimes they gotta go back home,touch base with planet shithole earth(in this context it will be Singapore since we havent invented interstellar space travel yet),and confront the ghosts of their past existence.

last but not least,singapore although a very cruel place to poor sinkies,is very nice to rich people,where in the world can u find a place with zero capital gains tax treaty with USA,lowest income tax and corporate tax for high earners,zero dividend tax for SG dividends and reits?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pap won't discard sinkies la....
5 star hotel still need their room service staff, chambermaids, pool attendents etc to keep the hotel running.
General manager post is taken by crony but you can still aspire to be the front office manager if you're loyal and obedient

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You would be surprised bro.When people get older their plans begin to change. Some actually want their ashes brought back home to be buried. I may say something today but it all change again its time to kick the bucket.

Scroobal,

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually no. The top govt officials also have families, relatives and children that have moved overseas or keen to move. So it not issue that affects a small segment They also are concerned enough not to cut the links. When Malaysia introduced their Silver Hair programme they were surprised by the number of ex-Malaysians that took it up. Even more surprising were those that applied actually wanted to go back to their roots - their home towns to build or buy houses. Its brought in capital and in some cases investment.

At the end of the day, its up to each Singaporean to make the call on looking for opportunities to enrich their lives.

Pappies ain't afraid of those native sinkies who wanted to quit and run road. For every native sinkie road runner gone, pappies would simply allow in another 10 or 100 foreign imported shits to replace him. Pappies are actually afraid of those native sinkies who wanted to stay on and kick them out of running the Govt at the next GE.

So, if you want to make your country great again, stay and kick the pappies' asshole.

Peiweh

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have met many over the years and asked the same question. And the answers are varied and 99% of the time it does make sense. Here are some examples

For holding on:-

1. The world is my oyster lot - this group are usually well educated and well travelled, usually in business and really know their stuff. They also can differentiate facts from myth. They also have no issues being Singaporean but have decided to broaden their options and usually driven to educate their children overseas. The CPF is usually small compared to other assets. Lots of retirees in this group and usually ex-civil servants, teachers etc with and without pension.

2. Singapore females - either married to a foreigner or went to study and then work overseas. This is arguably one of the biggest groups. Many are from the 70s and 80s and like Malaysians during that era went to do nursing, physiotherapy, law, social sciences, beauty and cosmetics courses etc. They remained but many do the annual pilgrimage home to visit family and relatives. This lot again has no push factors from Singapore, just grabbed opportunities that were available overseas. They see no reason to give up their citizenship as they have no CPF and enjoy the perk of dual citizenship.

3. Kiasu - not many but usually unsure of themselves and the long term prospects in a new country. Some are also unsure of things like local inheritance laws and afraid that they cannot inherit HDB flats or landed properties if they are no longer Singapore citizens. Also includes ownership concerns in certain businesses. They are also unfortunately not conversant in tax and other laws in their new country and struggle to repatriate their assets in later years.

For not holding on:-

1. Need the CPF lot - over 95% of Singaporeans are in this category. To buy the new home, fund their new adventure and seek better investment returns. Many would love to hold on to their SG citizenship if given the chance.

2. The world is my Oyster - again surprisingly the same attributes as those who hold on but in their case they want to move on and not dwell in the past. Absolutely delighted and confident of their future. Nothing against Singapore.

3. Bitter lot - this lot you can spot a mile away. Really angry and every discussion and comment is laden with outright criticism or sarcasm related to Singapore. They can range from the highly educated to those who are not. Usually the husband. All his friends and others attending a gathering will normally let this individual to speak and exhaust himself. And funnily it is not about politics. Mr Grump will probably have gripes about everything else outside Singapore as well.

4. Disciplinary/Criminal record back home lot - they just want a clean start or to wipe away bad memories. Usually reticent in group gatherings. The spouse will usually explain and most people are aware.

5. NS Liability lot - use to be big in the early years and wrongly assumed that their their male child will no longer be liable for NS if they give up SG citizenship. Only realise that they cannot renounce for their kids. But also not aware of the proper procedures.

One more:

I renounced because of 25 years worth of CPF. Wife did not want to. We thought good if one kept SG, but when wife renewed passport there is a questionnaire. One asks if you had obtained any foreign citizenship. She ticked yes, and a letter came with the renewed passport. It said that she is not allowed to hold another foreign citizenship along with her SG Citizenship. Letter said she had to give up foreign one if wanted to remain SG citizen.

Next trip to SG she showed letter to immigration official at lavender and was told might not be able to renew passport again if no choice is made....

So in this case we decided to renounce because there was also a substantial sum in her cpf along with this mandatory issue. Also after so many years out of SG we did not think we would ever return.

Its been 15 years since migration and for now, I don't see "the back to roots" drawing us back nor the desire to be buried there. Maybe one day I might feel nostalgic but my recent visits to SG have all turned me off a return to SG.

Moral of the story is if you want to be a dual SG you have to lie on the renewal form and say no. I wonder if there is any fine should you get caught.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing bro.

Yes, false declaration is an offence. However holding dual is not but not encouraged. Most people do not renew and just use the foreign passport for entry and exit while holding on SG.

Yes, the outlook for Singapore is not good. We are now seeing disease and illness that we thought we got rid of amongst other things.

One more:

I renounced because of 25 years worth of CPF. Wife did not want to. We thought good if one kept SG, but when wife renewed passport there is a questionnaire. One asks if you had obtained any foreign citizenship. She ticked yes, and a letter came with the renewed passport. It said that she is not allowed to hold another foreign citizenship along with her SG Citizenship. Letter said she had to give up foreign one if wanted to remain SG citizen.

Next trip to SG she showed letter to immigration official at lavender and was told might not be able to renew passport again if no choice is made....

So in this case we decided to renounce because there was also a substantial sum in her cpf along with this mandatory issue. Also after so many years out of SG we did not think we would ever return.

Its been 15 years since migration and for now, I don't see "the back to roots" drawing us back nor the desire to be buried there. Maybe one day I might feel nostalgic but my recent visits to SG have all turned me off a return to SG.

Moral of the story is if you want to be a dual SG you have to lie on the renewal form and say no. I wonder if there is any fine should you get caught.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Scroobal,

what nostalgic place in singapore do they want to be buried?bukit timah hill?Pulau Blakang Mati?Madam Tussard's Wax Muesuem?

Sinkies who made the bold decision to move dont look back in regrets.when i die i want my coffin to be launched into space ala Battlestar Galactica style.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
One more group

The ones who migrated, got foreign citizenship, renounced Singapore citizenship, withdrew CPF then go back to Singapore to work on employment permits then apply for Singapore PR.