• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Red Devils 2016-2017

jw5

Loyal
Thanks for the correction. I thought it was the other way around. The captain's armband was handed to Valencia who looked surprised. Isn't Ibra appointed by Mou as the vice captain? Anyway, it was a game of no consequence, all in the name of charity. Good to see the team playing with more aggression.

In terms of tenure and appearances, Valencia is third among the current players, to Rooney and Carrick. Mou must have wanted Ibra to concentrate on his defensive headers. :biggrin:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mourinho should bench Rooney for starters. He is slow, misplace his passes n cannot control the ball. He is slowing the team n is the weakest link.

I lost count the number of times he fails to control the ball or Man U attacks broke down due to him.

Bailly produced a good performance that warrants a first team place.

I believe the cheque book is closed with arrival of pogba. It's now seeing who will be sold. I think he will stick with smalling & bailly, jones / Alex & blind as backup.

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Summer's most protracted transfer is done and inked :biggrin:

Paul Pogba: Manchester United re-sign France midfielder
for world-record £89m

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37016170

attachment.php

Paul Pogba said "the time is right to go back to Old Trafford" after completing his world-record £89m transfer to Manchester United.

The 23-year-old midfielder returns after four years away, having left United for Juventus for £1.5m in 2012.
Pogba, who signed a five-year deal, added: "This is the right club for me to achieve everything I hope to."
Manager Jose Mourinho said the France international could be "the heart of the club" for the next decade.

United will pay the Italian champions 105m euros for Pogba, plus 5m euros (£4.5m) in performance-related bonuses and other costs, including 5m euros if Pogba signs a new contract. It surpasses the £85m that Real Madrid paid Tottenham for Wales forward Gareth Bale in 2013.
The announcement was made by United just after 00:30 BST on Tuesday, with a glossy video showing the player - with a red devil marked into his hair - emerging from the shadows.

It was followed by a series of sponsor videos, including one with English rapper and grime artist Stormzy, whose most successful song to date is 'Shut Up'.

Pogba, who helped hosts France reach the Euro 2016 final, has won the Serie A title in each of his four seasons at Juventus.

He is Mourinho's fourth signing at United, after Ivory Coast defender Eric Bailly, Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Armenia forward Henrikh Mkhitaryan.

It will be the first time in 20 years an English club has set a world-record transfer fee, after Newcastle United paid £15 to sign England striker Alan Shearer from Blackburn Rovers for £15m.

Pogba joined United from French club Le Havre in 2009 as a 16-year-old, but made just a handful of appearances before his contract expired in July 2012. He has made 178 appearances for Juventus, scoring 34 goals, and helped the club reach the 2015 Champions League final. The Serie A side had offered him a new contract, while Real Madrid were also interested in signing him.

Pogba said his mum told him he would return to Old Trafford and that it was his "destiny", adding: "
Speaking to MUTV he added: "I just came back to Carrington. It was like I'd just come back home. I just went for a holiday."

Pogba said he had spoken to Mourinho "a few times", as well as talking to France team-mates who had worked under the Portuguese.
"He gave me energy, he gave me positivity. They all told me he's the coach for me - he will make me improve a lot and make me work harder."
In a series of messages to Juventus supporters on social media, Pogba said: "Goodbye means nothing, it is the time we spent together that matters.
I will bring with me a piece of you and leave you a little piece of me."

The summer's most protracted transfer
The move has rumbled on all summer, with the back pages of the newspapers featuring reports of deals done, deals delayed, counter-bids from big-club rivals, denials and intrigue over agents' fees.

At Mourinho's first Old Trafford news conference on 5 July he said he wanted to sign four players and had secured three. Many believed the fourth was Pogba. It has taken more than a month since then for the Portuguese to get his man.

On 9 July, United finally declared their official interest but there were rumours the player preferred a move to Real Madrid.
Following's France's Euro 2016 final defeat by Portugal, Pogba went on a long holiday to the USA.

His agent Mino Raiola said a number of clubs were interested in his client and continued to deny a deal with United had been agreed.
On Saturday, Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri summoned Pogba to training, but just a day later United announced the player would have a medical - and on Monday he arrived in Manchester.

But it took until the early hours of Tuesday BST for the deal to finally be announced, a delay that Pogba called "annoying".

Writing on Instagram he said: "This transfer took so long because it was a huge decision and involved lots of thinking and work."

Attachments

• _90719758_getty_pogba_2.jpg
    _90719758_getty_pogba_2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Will only believe this statistical piece, with true taste of the pudding when EPL rolls on :p

SAM: Paul Pogba and Zlatan Ibrahimovic 'worth extra 10 points' to Manchester United

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37004327

Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Paul Pogba will be worth an extra 10 points to Manchester United this season, according to a sport analytics machine.

_90704467_zlatan_pogba_collage.jpg

_90731025_transfer_fee_graph.jpg

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Will only believe this statistical piece, with true taste of the pudding when EPL rolls on :p

SAM: Paul Pogba and Zlatan Ibrahimovic 'worth extra 10 points' to Manchester United

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37004327

Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Paul Pogba will be worth an extra 10 points to Manchester United this season, according to a sport analytics machine.

View attachment 27916

View attachment 27917

I believe the same was said about Petr Cech when he moved from Chelsea to Arsenal and we know how that worked out.
Don't read too much into these so called 'sports analysts'.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perhaps Everton can use some of that £47.5m they got for John Stones and use it to buy Mata.
After seeing how Mourinho treated him on Sunday, I would rather he left United and plyed his talent elsewhere.
Double substituting him was simply uncalled for and embarrassing.
The Community Shield is a friendly and not a Champions League or even a EPL game against title contenders. I've posted a video on the TCSS thread just to show what Mata thinks.

Complete joke.

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Premier League 2016-17: BBC Sport pundits pick their champions
The Premier League starts again on Saturday, with surprise champions Leicester City defending the title
they won by 10 points last season.

Who will win it this time, and how will the Foxes fare? We asked 32 BBC TV and radio pundits, presenters, journalists and commentators - and one super-computer for their one-two-three-four and an explanation of their selection.
bbc pundits.jpg
pundits 2.jpg

The predictions were made on the basis of how each squad shaped up on Friday 12 August, before the opening weekend and with more than a fortnight to go before the transfer window shuts.
Predictor1st2nd3rd4thLeicester
Jermaine JenasMan CityTottenhamChelseaLiverpool8th
John HartsonMan CityArsenalMan UtdLiverpool7th
Dean SaundersMan CityLeicesterLiverpoolTottenham2nd
Danny MurphyMan CityChelseaMan UtdLiverpool8th
Ian WrightMan CityChelseaMan UtdArsenal6th
Ruud GullitMan CityChelseaMan UtdArsenal6th
SAM (super-computer)Man CityChelseaMan UtdTottenham9th
Conor McNamaraMan CityChelseaMan UtdArsenal6th
Casey StoneyMan CityChelseaArsenalMan Utd7th
Chris SuttonMan CityMan UtdLiverpoolArsenal7th
Martin KeownMan CityMan UtdArsenalTottenham7th
Pat NevinMan CityMan UtdArsenalTottenham7th
Dan WalkerMan CityMan UtdChelseaLiverpool7th
Mark LawrensonMan CityMan UtdChelseaArsenal10th
Guy MowbrayMan CityMan UtdChelseaArsenal6th
Juliette FerringtonMan CityMan UtdChelseaArsenal9th
Kevin KilbaneMan CityMan UtdTottenhamChelsea6th
Alistair Bruce-BallMan CityMan UtdTottenhamLiverpool8th
Danny MillsMan UtdMan CityTottenhamChelsea7th
Garth CrooksMan UtdMan CityChelseaArsenal8th
Rachel Brown-FinnisMan UtdMan CityChelseaArsenal5th
Eniola AlukoMan UtdMan CityChelseaTottenham6th
Gabby LoganMan UtdMan CityChelseaTottenham7th
Manish BhasinMan UtdMan CityChelseaLiverpool8th
Steve BowerMan UtdMan CityArsenalLiverpool8th
Ian DennisMan UtdMan CityArsenalLiverpool9th
Alistair MannMan UtdMan CityArsenalLiverpool7th
Jason RobertsMan UtdArsenalMan CityChelsea6th
Jason MohammadMan UtdChelseaMan CityTottenham9th
Trevor SinclairChelseaMan CityLiverpoolMan Utd7th
Steve WilsonChelseaMan CityArsenalMan Utd7th
John MotsonChelseaLiverpoolMan CityMan Utd7th
Chris WaddleTottenhamArsenalMan CityMan Utd9th

Seven teams feature in the forecasted top fours, compared to only four clubs in 29 of the 30 BBC predictions last season. Apart from Gullit and Wright, and then Keown and Nevin, everyone's combination is unique.
Nobody is backing Leicester to repeat their title success - their average expected position is seventh - and it is Manchester City who are favourites, with 18 votes. Manchester United get 11 votes, Chelsea three and Tottenham one.
Overall predicted ranking, using all BBC predictions
(using system of 4 pts for a 1st place, 3 pts for 2nd, 2 pts for 3rd and 1 pt for 4th)
1. Man City2. Man Utd3. Chelsea4. Arsenal5. Tottenham6. Liverpool7. Leicester
113 pts88 pts56 pts32 pts20 pts18 pts3 pts

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Patrice Evra has been emptying former Juventus team-mate Paul Pogba's locker after his move to Manchester United.
He posted a picture on Instagram with the caption: "You should have at least emptied your locker...
I hope you are not expecting me to bring you your stuff to Manchester."

_90772873_pogba11.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who wants the title and who is anxious?

_90769814_3xmanagers.jpg

From expecting a "great battle" to asking for "soul" - the top Premier League managers have their say before the new season.

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte is expecting a "great battle" and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is feeling "more anxiety" but, at Manchester United, Jose Mourinho is only targeting the title.

Mourinho is not the only top manager with big ambitions going into the first weekend of the Premier League season.
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said: "We want to fight for everything". But Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has a different target, urging his players to show "soul" in their opener.

All five managers were questioned about their title ambitions in their media conferences on Friday after Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri played down his side's hopes of defending their crown.

Ranieri, manager of surprise champions Leicester, said on Thursday that there is more chance of aliens landing in London than the Foxes defending their title. Mauricio Pochettino, who took Tottenham to third place last season, had also already spoken.
Pochettino feels being in the Champions League will make things tougher for his team, saying: "It's a big challenge."

We have to say we want to win the title - Mourinho

The United boss did not specify which of his rivals he was talking about, but claimed other managers are scared of saying they can win the title at the same time as laying out his own intentions.
"Many more think the same way but they are afraid to say it," Mourinho said, as his side prepare to take on Bournemouth on Sunday.
"They prefer to hide and play defensively with words. That is not our way. It is not Manchester United.
"Manchester United have to say from day one they want to win the title. Maybe we don't win. Maybe at end of the season we are happy to finish in the top four.
"But, in this moment, when I speak to you, and when I do that I speak to my players too, I cannot speak differently."

Arsenal want to finish first this time - Wenger
Wenger did not duck talk of the title, and said his side's aim is to improve on last season's second-place finish.
However, the 66-year-old Frenchman did admit to feeling "even more anxiety" as he tries to win a first title since 2004, with Liverpool their first opponents.
"The top clubs have new ambition so it promises to be a very exciting season and difficult one as well," Wenger said.
"The new managers will be interesting but the quality on the pitch will be the most important thing and let's not forget we finished second," Wenger added.
"We need to skip one more place. The last four years we have been fourth, third and second, and we want to make progress again."

There can only be one lucky person - Klopp

Mourinho was not the only manager to talk about his rivals.
Asked about Wenger's comments that Liverpool are title contenders, the Reds not being in Europe and his aims for the season, Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp joked: "Three questions in one.

Former Italy and Juventus boss Conte is one of seven new managers in the top flight for the 2016-17 campaign - and is not expecting an easy ride from day one.

Chelsea start the season with a home game against West Ham on Monday and Conte said: "To start with a derby is tough but I'm excited. We will try to fight and do our best to win the game because it's important to start in the right way.
"I think this league is fantastic but very tough. There are many great clubs who can fight to win the title, fantastic players with great talent.
"There are also good managers, it will be a great battle and I'm excited. My players are also excited. We have a good situation to fight with the others and we're ready."

I won't accept it if we don't play with soul - Guardiola
"Ok, first of all, Arsene Wenger is a smart person so it makes sense to try to bring a lot of names to the screen when talking of title contenders.
"We are not looking for excuses. There is nothing positive about not being involved in European football apart from having more time to train.
"It's exciting for everybody having these big names [managers] in the league. If they all have one target and that's winning the league then there can only be one lucky person. What does that mean for the others - they fail or they still do a good job?"

Chelsea are ready and aiming high - Conte
A party atmosphere is expected at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday, with City preparing a special welcome for Guardiola in his first competitive match in charge.

Guardiola is unsure how well his team will play against Sunderland but says he will enjoy himself if his players show some character.
"To create something you need time, to create ideas to attack, but for soul we don't need time," Guardiola said.
"On Saturday I don't know if we're going to play good but I won't accept if we don't play with soul. That's what I'm looking for from our team. I want our fans in the stadium to see that. I want my players to play their football with pleasure inside."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37058809

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bromance? :cool:

Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Paul Pogba have been cementing their budding 'bromance' in the build-up to Manchester United's Premier League opener at Bournemouth on Sunday. Ibrahimovic credited himself with Pogba's return to United, saying: "Finally my shirt brought him back."

_90779097_zlatan.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can makan tonight?:p

TEAM NEWS
Manchester United's world-record signing Paul Pogba is suspended for Sunday's game against Bournemouth.
The ban was incurred by Pogba picking up two bookings in last season's Coppa Italia while at Juventus.
Chris Smalling is also banned but new signings Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Eric Bailly will play.
Bournemouth winger Junior Stanislas is out with a hernia problem but £15m club record signing Jordon Ibe is among the likely debutants.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES
Jonathan Pearce: ""Roll up! Roll up! The Greatest Show on Earth is here for an end-of-the-pier summertime special!
"World-famous ringmaster Jose! Dramatics guaranteed.
"Zlatan the Great starts his trek for a seventh successive debut season title across five countries.
"Jose must make do without the world's most expensive player and says his players are 'undercooked'. Bournemouth's Callum Wilson, fit and almost like a new signing, can certainly feast on any raw spots in the United defence.
"The Cherries have strengthened sensibly but must beware second-season syndrome. Don't gauge their season on this one though!"

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe on the new season: "I am expecting it to be harder (than last season).
"I think the quality of the league has gone up when you look at the quality of managers that have come in, the players that have been attracted to the league and the money that has been spent.
"I think we have improved but I think everybody else will have at the same time so the challenge is going to be tougher - and we need to make sure we respond."

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho: "We feel that we are candidates to win the title. Many more think the same way as us but they are afraid to say it. They prefer to play a defensive game in words.
"I think Manchester United has to say we want to win the title. At the end of the season if we are not champions because someone is better than us then great, that's football."
LAWRO'S PREDICTION

I think the Cherries are in for another solid season but Manchester United will be in the hunt for the title this season, and I think they will begin with a win.
Prediction: 0-2

Lawro's full predictions v indie band Blossoms

• Think you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round's Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Bournemouth are unbeaten in their last four home meetings with Manchester United in all competitions (W2, D2), including a 2-1 Premier League win in 2015-16.

Bournemouth

• Bournemouth only won one of their last eight matches (W1, D1, L6) in their debut season in the top flight, finishing 16th.
  • The Cherries lost all five of the Premier League games that they played on a Sunday in 2015-16.

Manchester United

• Manchester United have won 15 of their 24 opening fixtures in the Premier League, a joint-high with Chelsea.
  • Four of United's five opening day defeats in the Premier League have come away from home.
  • Jose Mourinho has won six and drawn one of his previous seven Premier League opening fixtures.
  • Wayne Rooney has scored six goals on the opening weekend, more than any other player currently in the Premier League.
  • Henrikh Mkhitaryan assisted a league-high 15 goals in the German Bundesliga last season.

SAM's verdict
SAM's predicted score: 0-1Probability of draw: 28%
Probability of home win: 27%Probability of away win: 45%

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very good start. the 2 goal blitz reminded me of Fergie days...really a refreshing change from the stifling game play of LVG days.
Ibrahimovic really know how to grab the headlines...you can be quiet for 89 minutes, you just need to score the winning goal or a spectacular one....thats him.

Fellani had one of his better games today. No nonsense display but sadly, next week when Pogba comes on, he will make way.
Mata has sent a strong message to Mourniho...

the worry i see, is Marshal...he did not play well..though his miscued shot gave Rooney the second goal...

overall, very good performance...albeit against a weak team but a win is a win...still see signs of sideways / backwards passing...hopefully it will iron out.

now...lets see Pool and Arse kill each other haha.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Manchester United to sign Jose Fonte
and more transfer rumours

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...anchester-united-transfer-news-fonte-11746463

Manchester United transfer news continues with the likelihood of a fifth signing, which could be Southampton
centre-back Jose Fonte.

Jose Mourinho wanted to bring in two defenders all along and the second to arrive at Manchester United could be Jose Fonte from Southampton.

Fonte, 32, has impressed for Southampton and Portugal in recent years while, handily, he is a Jorge Mendes client. Mourinho was always expected to target a senior defender but Fonte is a major comedown from Leonardo Bonucci or Raphael Varane.

The likelihood is Fonte would be a squad player if he did arrive. He's an improvement on Marcos Rojo and, fitness-wise at least, more reliable than Phil Jones. There is no great rush to sign Fonte since he has returned to Southampton later than his teammates after Portugal's Euro 2016 campaign. He is under contract at St Mary's until 2018.

Marouane Fellaini is supposedly generating interest from Galatasaray after he scored against them last month.
Fellaini is likely to struggle for minutes this season, with Mourinho seemingly intent on playing with a two-man midfield. During the Portuguese's discussion with BT Sport about that area, he referred to Paul Pogba as a 'runner', while Michael Carrick, Morgan Schneiderlin and Ander Herrera were 'passers'. There was no mention of Fellaini, but he could be an asset if used properly.

The Sun on Sunday claims Louis van Gaal would have rejected the chance to sign Paul Pogba since he was against paying large transfer fees for big-name players. Maybe he calls it the Di Maria Effect.
This sounds very Van Gaal, but Mourinho has apparently had a partition built around the first-team changing area at Carrington to keep them separate from other players.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mou's problem will likely be off field. With party animals like Depay and Pogba, you have trouble written all over the wall. I fear players like Martial and Lingard will be drawn into that lifestyle.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Manchester United to sign Jose Fonte
and more transfer rumours

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...anchester-united-transfer-news-fonte-11746463

Manchester United transfer news continues with the likelihood of a fifth signing, which could be Southampton
centre-back Jose Fonte.

Jose Mourinho wanted to bring in two defenders all along and the second to arrive at Manchester United could be Jose Fonte from Southampton.

Fonte, 32, has impressed for Southampton and Portugal in recent years while, handily, he is a Jorge Mendes client. Mourinho was always expected to target a senior defender but Fonte is a major comedown from Leonardo Bonucci or Raphael Varane.

The likelihood is Fonte would be a squad player if he did arrive. He's an improvement on Marcos Rojo and, fitness-wise at least, more reliable than Phil Jones. There is no great rush to sign Fonte since he has returned to Southampton later than his teammates after Portugal's Euro 2016 campaign. He is under contract at St Mary's until 2018.

Marouane Fellaini is supposedly generating interest from Galatasaray after he scored against them last month.
Fellaini is likely to struggle for minutes this season, with Mourinho seemingly intent on playing with a two-man midfield. During the Portuguese's discussion with BT Sport about that area, he referred to Paul Pogba as a 'runner', while Michael Carrick, Morgan Schneiderlin and Ander Herrera were 'passers'. There was no mention of Fellaini, but he could be an asset if used properly.

The Sun on Sunday claims Louis van Gaal would have rejected the chance to sign Paul Pogba since he was against paying large transfer fees for big-name players. Maybe he calls it the Di Maria Effect.
This sounds very Van Gaal, but Mourinho has apparently had a partition built around the first-team changing area at Carrington to keep them separate from other players.

I believe, Mourinho will have to sell a couple of players before he can buy Fonte.
Bastian and probably two more - maybe swap rojo with fonte.