• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Red Devils 2016-2017

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
coming up, double headers with West Ham...I expect 2 wins, West Ham has always been generous.
anything less will be sacrilege

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Match review

TEAM NEWS

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is set to return for Manchester United after completing a one-match domestic suspension.

Wayne Rooney and Henrikh Mkhitaryan could also start after impressing against Feyenoord, but Eric Bailly and Chris Smalling remain injured.

West Ham captain Mark Noble is available after serving a ban but defender Winston Reid misses out because of his red card at Tottenham. Pedro Obiang is expected to be fit despite an ankle injury.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Guy Mowbray: "I can't be alone in having casually thought that West Ham tend to do well at Old Trafford, only to be proved wrong when looking back at results.
"Maybe it's because all three of their only wins there since 1986 were famous ones, with winning goals scored by famous players - Jermain Defoe, Carlos Tevez and Paolo Di Canio (with a little help from Fabien Barthez - taxiiiii!).
"Making a case for them this time got tougher with Manchester United's impressive win against Feyenoord on Thursday, following another 'one that got away' performance versus Arsenal last week.
"Everything points to a home win. A famous one? Over to you Wayne Rooney…"
Twitter: @Guymowbray

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho on Henrikh Mkhitaryan's display against Feyenoord: "He just needs now to try to replicate this kind of performance in the Premier League.
"The Premier League is different. He needs one more step. Obviously now confidence levels are higher.
"This performance gives him the right to believe that he can play the next match again and he needs to replicate this kind of performance in the Premier League, with more physicality, more aggression.
"We know that we were buying a player with a high level of technical quality, very intelligent, very bright, the way he reads the game."

West Ham manager Slaven Bilic: "I speak to the owners, mostly Mr Sullivan, regularly after every game and in between if something needs talking about.
"I feel supported...I'm not fearful. I feel pressure, of course, because we are not producing, we're not delivering and we don't have enough points to feel happy and to feel safe.
"But I see the improvement. Against Spurs I saw a team hungry and alive, the points were there for us in a difficult away game, so that's what I'm confident about."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

West Ham caved in late on at White Hart Lane last weekend, and they are just not as good defensively as they were last season.
Manchester United have issues too, especially in attack, but although they might make hard work of it, I think they will find a way through.
Prediction: 2-1
Lawro's full predictions v comedian Lloyd Griffith

• Think you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round's Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• West Ham drew twice away to United last season (0-0 in the league, 1-1 in the FA Cup), ending a run of eight consecutive defeats at Old Trafford in all competitions.
    • The Hammers have won just two of their last 23 league games at Old Trafford (D1, L20).
    • The Irons have scored 10 goals in 20 Premier League games at Old Trafford and never more than once in a single game.

Manchester United

• The Red Devils have claimed 19 points from their opening 12 league games. The only Premier League season in which they made a worse start was 2004-05, when they had 18 points at this stage.
    • They have drawn three consecutive home league games for the first time since a similar sequence between February and April 1992. The last time they drew four in a row at Old Trafford was between November and December 1980 (a five-match streak).
    • United have attempted 203 Premier League shots - 80 more than at this point last season.
    • Anthony Martial has scored with all three of his shots on target for Manchester United against West Ham in all competitions.
    • Wayne Rooney has been directly involved in 14 goals in his last 13 league and cup appearances against West Ham (11 goals, three assists).
    • He needs one goal to equal Sir Bobby Charlton as Manchester United's all-time top scorer with 249 goals in all competitions.

West Ham

• The Hammers have lost five of their six top-flight away games this term (W1). Burnley and Leicester are the only sides with poorer away records.
    • They used 26 different players in their opening 12 Premier League games, the joint-highest total in the top flight with Sunderland.
    • West Ham have received seven Premier League red cards since the start of last season, more than any other side.
    • Michail Antonio has equalled the Premier League record for headed goals in a calendar year (11, shared with Tim Cahill in 2010). His last six top-flight goals have come with his head.
    • Dimitri Payet has created a league-high 43 goalscoring chances this season in the Premier League, but only four of these chances have been converted by the Hammers.

SAM's verdict
    Most probable score: 1-0Probability of draw: 24%
    Probability of home win: 58%Probability of away win: 18%

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38041957

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Into semis to meet Hull (and gunners lost to saints). Exquisite show, even by shrek Roon -if only we can reproduce this class act in the league. Herrera impresses in recent matches with his industry

_92779160_mirror_backpage_zps9yxwjcbs.jpg

Man of the match - Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Manchester United)

yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7

Henrikh Mkhitaryan has struggled to force his way into Jose Mourinho's side since his £26m summer move from Borussia Dortmund, but showed he is beginning to match the expectations placed on him. The Armenia captain set up Zlatan Ibrahimovic's opener with a cheeky backheel for his first assist in a Red Devils shirt, then he also teed up Martial's first goal. "We know the reason we bought him and waited for his evolution, I'm happy," said Mourinho
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38073805

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tonight at Merseyside, how?
Everton v Manchester United

_92807419_gettyimages-461176044.jpg

Rival managers Jose Mourinho and Ronald Koeman have both voiced concerns over their teams this season

TEAM NEWS
Midfielder James McCarthy is available for Everton's home game against Manchester United after recovering from hamstring trouble.

Muhamed Besic and Matthew Pennington are long-term absentees.
Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney is suspended after receiving his fifth booking of
the season in the midweek EFL Cup win over West Ham.

Luke Shaw is a doubt after limping off in that tie, while Paul Pogba and Marouane Fellaini are back after bans.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Steve Bower: "Both managers have been publicly critical of their teams in recent weeks and both are in need of a Premier League victory.
"That's something Jose Mourinho has experienced only twice in the last 10 games, although the midweek League Cup win and performance was a timely reminder of what Manchester United are capable of when they convert their chances.
"Their need for consistency is there for all to see.
"That's something Ronald Koeman managed at the beginning of his first season with Everton, but just one win in eight subsequent matches has left him concerned."
Twitter: @SteveBowercomm

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Everton manager Ronald Koeman: "If somebody had said to me at the beginning of the season that Everton at the beginning of December will be seventh and if they beat Manchester United we will go sixth, I would be happy.
"Of course, I realise we need a win, I realise some away performances have not been good. But we're still unbeaten at home and that's also positive.
"You need to be realistic and, of course, it's a difficult time because one [win] out of eight is a long time and we have not been winning enough."
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho on Anthony Martial: "He is working harder than before, to be honest.
"Obviously when you score twice I think maybe it helps happiness to be back, confidence levels to be back.
"I think it can help because as an attacking player you can play very, very well, but if you don't score goals the happiness is not there, so hopefully it helps him."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
Toffees manager Ronald Koeman has a bigger job on his hands than he probably imagined and I can see him changing things in the January transfer window.

Manchester United are doing well in the cup competitions but in the league they have been very unspectacular and I can see that continuing at the weekend.

Prediction: 1-1

Lawro's full predictions v comedian Tim Vine

• Think you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round's Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Manchester United won all three meetings last season, most recently in an FA Cup semi-final when Anthony Martial scored the decisive goal in stoppage time.
  • United have earned 15 Premier League victories at Goodison Park; they haven't won more often at any other away venue since the competition's inception in 1992.
  • Nonetheless, Everton have won three of their last four Premier League home games against United.
Everton

• The Toffees have won one of their last eight Premier League matches (W1, D3, L4).
  • However, they are one of only four sides still unbeaten at home in the division (W3, D3).
  • Everton have been trailing at half-time in four of their last five league games, having done so in just one of their previous eight fixtures this season.
  • Ronald Koeman's side have covered more distance than their opponents on just one occasion in the Premier League this season, fewer times than any other club.
  • Romelu Lukaku has played six league games for Everton against Manchester United without scoring.
Manchester United

• United's tally of 20 points is their lowest after 13 games since 1990, when they made a similar start to the season. They lost their 14th fixture that year.
  • Jose Mourinho's side have only won twice in their last 10 league games (W2, D5, L3).
  • The Red Devils have only scored more than once in four of their 13 league fixtures - the same as Burnley.
  • Mourinho has lost three of his first 13 league matches as Manchester United manager. His fourth league defeat as Chelsea boss came in his 68th top-flight fixture.
SAM's verdict
Most probable score: 1-1Probability of draw: 30%
Probability of home win: 34%Probability of away win: 36%

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let Martial go, for that kind of dough :cool:

MARTIAL LAW Manchester United transfer news: Anthony Martial wanted by Real Madrid and Barcelona in £60million battle

[FONT=&amp]Red Devils considering selling misfiring striker and could seek out James Rodriguez swap deal with Real
[/FONT]

EXCLUSIVE[FONT=&amp]BY KEN LAWRENCE[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]3rd December 2016, 10:00 pm[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2322112/manchester-united-transfer-news-anthony-martial-real-madrid-barcelona-james-rodriguez/[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
ANTHONY MARTIAL could be in the middle of a £60million battle between Barcelona and Real Madrid.
And unhappy £63m Real star James Rodriguez may hold the key.
GETTY IMAGES
Anthony Martial is a transfer target for Real Madrid and Barcelona
Martial, 20, arrived at United from Monaco last year in a deal worth £36m that could rise to £57.6m — if he proves a success.

United will have the chance to recoup their money or make a big profit in May, and unless the France star starts scoring they might sell.
Barca wanted Martial before he went to Old Trafford and top-scored for them last term with 17 goals, and they still are.

GETTY IMAGE

Martial could be used in a swap deal for Real’s James Rodriguez REUTERS
The striker is struggling for regular game time at Old Trafford

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dumb bugger did his old club a favour, within 5 mins of coming on. No reason of playing him on, notwithstanding excuse of physique.

Merseyside's got their subs right, and was aggressive in latter part of game. And that F bugger gave away -2 points on 89 :(

43233414-4c98-419a-90d9-d7a9492f355c_zpswzcjbgdg.jpg

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dumb bugger did his old club a favour, within 5 mins of coming on. No reason of playing him on, notwithstanding excuse of physique.

Merseyside's got their subs right, and was aggressive in latter part of game. And that F bugger gave away -2 points on 89 :(

Error of judgement on the part of Mou.I thought the timing of the substitutions were poor. It broke the rhythm somewhat. Darmian and Martial covered each other very well.Herrera provided the cover for Valencia.Perhaps Mou knew Henrikh is not of much use in defending.

Well as they say if it ain't broken why fix it. Except for a Merseyside Valencia header,the aerial threat wasn't there. The special one simply had to bring on the clumsy one and I thought Fosu would have been a better choice for cover.Sigh......:mad:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got to give it to Mou and the backroom staff. It's a complete transformation from the days of LVG and Moyes. Just goes on to show that Mou is a top class manager.

Let's wait and see how youngsters like Rashford,Lingaard,Martial and Fosu develops under Mou. I had a funny suspicion he's losing patience with Rashford and Lingaard. They've wasted many one on one opportunities.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Herrera looks like the ideal replacement for Carrick. Simply outstanding and I thought Schneiderlin was the man.:eek:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Transfer window around the corner. Shopping season is here again. Get a farking CD Jose or we're will end up outside the top 4.:mad:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gallego, your wish may come true into Jan

Victor Lindelof: Man Utd move not ruled out by Benfica coach

By Simon Stone
BBC Sport

_93060583_victorlindelof.jpg

Victor Lindelof has played 21 times for Benfica this season

Benfica coach Rui Vitoria has not ruled out Sweden defender Victor Lindelof joining Manchester United next month.

United manager Jose Mourinho is keen on the 22-year-old, who can play at centre-half or right-back.
A group from Benfica is reported to have travelled to England on Monday to discuss a potential transfer with the Premier League club.

United have not commented but Vitoria said: "If there are exits we will find solutions."

Reports suggest he would become the club's most expensive defender of all time, costing between £38m and £42m. Their record is England international Rio Ferdinand's £29.1m move to Old Trafford from Leeds in 2002.
Lindelof, who has 11 caps for Sweden, played in Benfica's Portuguese league game against Rio Ave on Wednesday, their last game for two weeks.

His agent Hasan Cetinkaya told Swedish media there was "a bid on Benfica's table" and that he would be meeting with the club, but refused to comment when asked specifically about an offer from Manchester United.

Mourinho, who spent more than £150m on players in the summer, is keen to make changes to his squad during the January transfer window.

Although the Portuguese has said he will not force anyone out, midfielders Morgan Schneiderlin and Bastian Schweinsteiger are the most likely to depart, along with Memphis Depay.

France international Schneiderlin, 27, has attracted interest from Everton, as has Netherlands winger Depay, although Italian side Roma are another club keeping an eye on the 22-year-old.

Former Germany captain Schweinsteiger spoke to MLS outfit Chicago Fire, with other US clubs also keen on taking the World Cup winner, who has returned to first-team training after being frozen out by Mourinho at the start of the season.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Better sign also a striker or bring through one of the young ones to supplement ibra n rashford. Recall Wilson perhaps ?

Rooney should be eased out as soon as he score his two goals needed.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gallego, your wish may come true into Jan.......................
United have not commented but Vitoria said: "If there are exits we will find solutions."[/FONT][/SIZE]
.............Hasan Cetinkaya told Swedish media there was "a bid on Benfica's table" and that he would be meeting with the club, but refused to comment when asked specifically about an offer from Manchester United.[/FONT]

Mourinho, who spent more than £150m on players in the summer, is keen to make changes to his squad during the January transfer window.

Although the Portuguese has said he will not force anyone out, midfielders Morgan Schneiderlin and Bastian Schweinsteiger are the most likely to depart, along with Memphis Depay.

France international Schneiderlin, 27, has attracted interest from Everton, as has Netherlands winger Depay, although Italian side Roma are another club keeping an eye on the 22-year-old.

Former Germany captain Schweinsteiger spoke to MLS outfit Chicago Fire, with other US clubs also keen on taking the World Cup winner, who has returned to first-team training after being frozen out by Mourinho at the start of the season.[/SIZE]
[/FONT]

Lindelof had a poor Euro but looks handy given his age at 22 and stands at 1.87m.I reckon he's a good prospect. We were lucky against West Brom as they had a couple of free headers that missed it's mark. Pulis knew United's weakness. Mou shouldn't push his luck and get on with a CD. Varane isn't interested and let's not waste anymore opportunities.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to say though that the two CDs-Jones and Rojo played well together. They're playing with vigor and renewed enthusiasm,something I didn't see with LVG.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Better sign also a striker or bring through one of the young ones to supplement ibra n rashford. Recall Wilson perhaps ?

Rooney should be eased out as soon as he score his two goals needed.

It's quite scary to think that a 35 year old is our top marksman. Rashford has gone cold. I very much doubt we'll be able to get a striker in January. The midfielders have to help with the goal tally and they're definitely capable of assisting in that area. The years when United won the EPL, the goal contribution was all round.

Yup, Rooney should be retired. The sooner the better. He wasn't too happy about being substituted. Put it simply-he's just too slow.:biggrin:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I love to watch United's style of play.It's good to see them playing the way they should. Well done Mou!!!Marvelous job! We'll need that bit of luck to get to the top 4.:biggrin:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2016 end match to Boro, how? Can we continue our good run last few matches?

SAT, 31 DEC 2016
PREMIER LEAGUE 15:00
Venue: Old Trafford
Manchester United v Middlesbrough

_93147397_gettyimages-630544478.jpg

Manchester United's Henrikh Mkhitaryan has scored in his last three matches.

TEAM NEWS
Manchester United's Wayne Rooney may again be absent due to the thigh injury which ruled him out of the Boxing Day win over Sunderland.

Luke Shaw is the only other first-team player on the injury list, but manager Jose Mourinho says he is "not far" from a return.

Middlesbrough defender Antonio Barragan is suspended after he received his fifth booking of the season.
Winger Viktor Fischer is missing because of a knee injury.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES
Steve Bower: "The calendar year has certainly had its highs and lows for Manchester United, but 2016 is drawing to a close with real momentum.
"Jose Mourinho's side look to be in the groove as they aim for their fifth league win in a row. If they can maintain their recent consistency and performance levels into 2017 then a Champions League charge could be within reach.
"Plotting to upset the odds is Mourinho's former assistant Aitor Karanka, who meets his mentor as a manager for the first time.
"He can be satisfied with Middlesbrough's season so far and will see any kind of result at Old Trafford as a welcome new year bonus."

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho: "The team spirit I see is just fantastic.
"It is getting better every single day and I think that is showing in the way we are playing, because some of the football we have produced in recent weeks has been very good."

Middlesbrough head coach Aitor Karanka: "Manchester United are playing well, they are organised and they have amazing players.
"But they are not just one or two or three [players]. They have a lot of good players, but above everything is the team."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
Middlesbrough will not change their defensive game-plan at Old Trafford but Manchester United are probably the most improved team in the Premier League in the past few weeks.
Boss Jose Mourinho has found a system that works and, no matter what Boro do, I think they will find a way through.
Prediction: 2-0

Lawro's full predictions v hip hop duo Run The Jewels

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Manchester United are unbeaten in the last seven league meetings (W4, D3). Their last defeat was a 4-1 loss at the Riverside in October 2005.
  • However, United were knocked out of the League Cup at Old Trafford in the most recent encounter in October last season. Boro triumphed 3-1 on penalties after a 0-0 draw.
  • Middlesbrough's last league win at Old Trafford came in February 2004.
Manchester United

• Manchester United could win five league matches in the same month for the first time since December 2012.
  • They are unbeaten in nine league games, and in their last seven at Old Trafford (W3, D4).
  • United kept a clean sheet in their final league game of 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
  • Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been involved in 14 Premier League goals this season (12 goals, two assists) - eight more than any other Manchester United player.
Middlesbrough

• Middlesbrough have lost three of their last four league matches.
  • They have enjoyed just one win in their last 22 Premier League away games (D6, L15).
  • Boro haven't lost their final league game of a calendar year since 2009 (W4, D2).
  • Only Hull, with 14 goals, have scored fewer than Middlesbrough's tally of 16 this season.
SAM's verdict
Most probable score: 1-0Probability of draw: 31%
Probability of home win: 54%Probability of away win: 15%

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38424650

Last edited:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
A night to remember.Old fashion United comeback!!!!For a moment, I thot that dickhead referee was going to stand in the way. A typical Mou gamble by taking off a defender and putting in a forward player. If you're chasing the game and trailing,the scoreline doesn't matter anymore. If it were LVG,he'll take a calculated,face saving approach and make a like for like exchange. Never mine Moyes.

I believe Mou instructed Rojo during the second goal celebration to tell the players to play keep ball and run down the clock which IMHO was a sensible thing to do. Well done to Mou and the players!!!!:biggrin:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Deserved win, despite nerve wrecking in last 5 mins regular time. Stats speak for themselves, as Boro lived up to their repute of holding up against big clubs.

32 goal attempts vs 9
12 shots on target vs 2
12 corners vs 2
66% possession

Controversial Zlatan's goal disallowed
_93193965_zlatan-reu-1_zpsxjrdaume.jpg

Last edited: