• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious QS Asian University Ranking 2016

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
On surface, I was impressed that our NUS and NTU came in top 3.

Then i realized that this ranking don't make sense.

- Among the good Asian universities, it is unbelievable that 3rd-placed NTU or even NUS is better than China's Shanghai Jiaotong (22nd Placed), Peking University.

- Japan's University of Tokyo, Osaka University and Kyoto University are as good as US Ivy League, yet none of them get into the Top-10 rankings. This is nonsense. The corporate world are willing pay top money for graduates from these 3 Japanese universities and their contribution in science, research and business are unmatched in Asia.

- Our SMU is ranked below Malaysia's UKM, USM, UPM. Nonsense again, top SMU grads are known to command among the highest starting pays in Singapore. I think even Singapore Polytechnic should be ranked higher than these three Malaysian universities.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this ranking is worthless. tell me about it if only you are from IVY league universities.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Asian excludes Australia ?

yups, looks like all are yellow skin uni.:p

there is really a difference when you speak to students from IVY league universities vs sinkie local unis. anyway, i like surrounded by smart pple so that i can learn from them.:o

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the words of a wise old man, no amount of education can prevent unemployment.

Even in booming Singapore, which is importing highly skilled workers to stem a talent shortage, graduate unemployment rose from 3.3% to 3.6% in the first half of 2013, higher than the average unemployment rate in Singapore of around 2%.

The Singaporean government has been scaling back its higher education ambitions, capping the gross enrolment rate at 25%.

National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan said last year that Singapore could not be a nation entirely made up of graduates. “Can you have a whole country where 100% are graduates? I am not so sure. What you do not want is to create huge graduate unemployment.”

MORE Singapore workers are getting jobs that match their skills, bar one group: degree holders.The proportion of university graduates who have jobs but are "underemployed" inched up last year from the year before, according to the latest figures from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).For all other workers, the underemployment rate fell.

As graduate numbers grow, a hard truth: Not all degrees are equal

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The University of Hong Kong’s vice-chancellor has revealed that growing student activism has made “a handful of donors” reluctant to give money to the institution, but rejected criticism of the city’s “rebellious” youth.

In an interview with the Post Monday, Professor Peter Mathieson made a robust defence of young people and vowed to uphold students’ rights to express themselves. - Sinkie vice-chancellor will tell students that they will repent if Lightning loses a few Parliamentary seats, bwahahahahaha

He had earlier condemned their “mob rule” when students besieged a governing council meeting in January to press for a review of the governance structure and a face-to-face meeting with council chairman Professor Arthur Li Kwok-cheung.

“I have had conversations with donors who said maybe now is not the time to be giving to the university because they worry about that particular aspect,” Mathieson said, referring to student activism.

But he added that many donors took the opposite view and volunteered support for HKU.

“Overall, our donation income has been more or less steady over the past few years. It averages about HK$800 million a year,” he said.

Student leaders from the university were at the forefront of the 79-day Occupy protests in 2014. They have also been vocal and high-profile in discussing independence from China.

But Mathieson said he admired the younger generation.

“The youth in Hong Kong, including our students at HKU, are talented. Generally speaking, I think highly of youth in Hong Kong. They are hardworking, generally respectful for authority. They are very capable people,” he said. “I don’t think youth in Hong Kong are rebellious, troublemaking or difficult. ”

Universities should be places where controversial views, including those which sometimes might upset or offend others, should be debated, he argued.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ellor-rejects-criticism-rebellious-youth-amid

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
QS Asian University Ranking 2016
http://news.asiaone.com/news/education/nus-named-top-asian-university-third-straight-year-ntu-no-3

1. NUS
2. University of HK
3. NTU
4. Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
5. Tsinghua
6. Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology
7. City University of HK
8. Chinese University of Hong Kong
9. Peking University
10. Seoul University

NUS number 1? Bullshit!
To know if this is true or not, very simple. What achievements, development or discoveries did their faculties made?
New technologies and engineering developed?
New discoveries in science or bio?

I heard nothing from NUS, but I heard some from Japan's Uni.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Government of Singapore and various government agencies as well GLCs send their scholars overseas including Japan for a reason. These rankings do help to performance and raise standards and the students do benefit. If parents do have the means it make more sense to send the Universities in 1st World countries. Not only are their academic standards higher, the students are primarily from 1st world countries, the environment that they are in and other factors help provide positive exposure to Singapore students. There is also the opportunity to remain and live in 1st world countries.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
The high scores are achieved by gaming the ranking system. NUS and NTU use our taxpayers money to max out the scores for infrastructure and other hardware related categories. We continue to do poorly in teaching and other people related categories. Typical form over substance like so many other things in Singapore.

MaximiLian

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Government of Singapore and various government agencies as well GLCs send their scholars overseas including Japan for a reason. These rankings do help to performance and raise standards and the students do benefit. If parents do have the means it make more sense to send the Universities in 1st World countries. Not only are their academic standards higher, the students are primarily from 1st world countries, the environment that they are in and other factors help provide positive exposure to Singapore students. There is also the opportunity to remain and live in 1st world countries.

Then how come u still in sg? :confused: