• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat S'pore woman in her 50s cheated out of $1.2 million in Facebook love scam

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nabilah Awang
The New Paper
June 11, 2016

It all started when she accepted a friend request on Facebook.

But it eventually made her $1.2 million poorer after she became a victim of a love scam.

Mary, an administrator in her 50s, lost all of her savings and ended up in debt. All names have been changed to protect the victim's identity.

Police said it was the biggest amount lost by an individual in a scam that has seen a surge since the start of the year.

April was the worst month, with $7.5 million pocketed by scammers.

In Mary's case, the scammer, Tom, claimed he was an American engineer and investor.

He approached Mary after adding her on Facebook in January this year.

Dazzled by promises of visits to Singapore, the mother of four developed a romantic relationship with him.

Mary said: "Even after many years of married life, I craved the companionship of a man because my husband was always working and hardly at home."

Her children are all grown-up and working.

About a month into the relationship, Tom told Mary he was coming here to live with her and he asked her to help link him up with local banks and hunt for apartments.

He then told Mary about an intermediary, a Nigerian called John, who would help him bring US$5 million (S$6.77 million) in cash to Singapore.

When Tom suggested Mary meet John to collect the money, John told her that he was unable to enter Singapore due to documentation issues.

John told Mary to go to Malaysia, where he claimed he was based.

"Because I felt like I was in a genuine relationship, I trusted anyone he trusted," Mary said.

John first asked Mary to transfer $6,000 into a Singapore bank account to get some documents processed, and she did.

He then told her that he was stuck at the airport and asked her to meet him in Malaysia to hand him $50,000.

VOUCH

It was to vouch that the purported US$5 million he was carrying in cash was "clean money".

Mary said she agreed because she was convinced the relationship she had with Tom was genuine.

She said she was even willing to leave her husband for him.

She added that Tom also told her the lock combination for the bags, which he claimed contained the money that John would show to her.

The same day, Mary met John in a hotel room in Malaysia, where he showed her a few bags.

"When I opened the bags, there were a lot of US dollars in it," she said.

"It was also the correct combination that (Tom) had given me, so I did not suspect anything and I handed over the $50,000 in cash."

It marked the start of John's continual requests for money and Mary would remit it each time.

After using up her savings, Mary resorted to taking out unsecured loans from banks, and her insurance.

Her family members found out about the bank loans and confronted Mary. She realised she had been a victim of an elaborate Internet love scam.

Her family members told her to make a police report. But she had already transferred a total of $1.2 million by then.

Women are more vulnerable to Internet love scams

What victims of Internet love scams often share is a desire for affection.

They are usually aged between 30 and 59, and they can be housewives or working professionals.

They are usually lonely, said Senior Investigation Officer (SIO) Yusri Mohamed Yusoff.

SIO Yusri, who has been in the commercial crime squad from the Jurong Division for the past four years, said: "The scammers, who often claim they are engineers, businessmen or army officers, use a variety of tactics to win the trust of their victims.

"They are also loving and affectionate, and usually good-looking on online profiles, just to sweep victims off their feet."

SURGE

Since the start of this year, there has been a 294 per cent increase in such cases as compared to the same period last year.

Head of the Financial Crime Policy and Operations Branch Yolanda Yu, who studies islandwide trends, explained that the surge of Internet love scams over the years is caused by the increase in social media websites and apps such as Facebook, OKCupid, and Tinder.

When asked why most Internet love scam victims are female, Miss Yu said: "Women are more vulnerable to Internet love scams where emotions like fear or love are involved. They are also more likely to get emotionally attached."

SIO Yusri agreed and added that some of the victims still trusted the scammers even after they had made a police report.

He said: "Sometimes, when we advise them, they are less accepting because they think they know the person they are in a relationship with better."

"That's why some victims repeat the same mistakes despite having been cheated before by the same person."

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/t...f-12-million-in-facebook-love-scam#xtor=CS1-2

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dazzled by promises of visits to Singapore, the mother of four developed a romantic relationship with him.

So did he visit Sg fo fuck her or not? Or she only met the Nigerian? Reporting is bad or my comprehension is bad

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
attachment.php

Alfrescian
Loyal
an administrator in her 50s has $1.2m in her bank account?? what the hell did I do wrong?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
She is willing to leave her HUSBAND??!!!

Guys... That is why I say.. MGTOW is the way to go.. Fuck those bitches.. They only see guys as a utility for their establishment into the future.. Is there love and sincerity in relationships?

Women use their smelly pussies to manipulate men because that is the only capability these bitches have.. They cannot be better than men..

Let me ask u a question.. If the husband divorce her now.. Will the husband get a fair trial? Be honest!!!!

I just found out she is in her 50s...face palm!!! And Still think her pussy worth anything. She still think k she can manipulate a man using her pussy.

Last edited:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dunno y...moi read tis article oredi happy like fuck...de onli imperfection ish...dis lau CB shd hav loss 12 million...1.2m abit too little...:biggrin::oIo:

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
an administrator in her 50s has $1.2m in her bank account?? what the hell did I do wrong?

Did you put your abalone in the wrong place?

If they are in a tin can, then that's where you did wrong. Wrong place to attract millions. Those abalone in can only worth $30 to maybe $100 a can of 2 pieces only.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$1.2 million is a lot of money for a stupid person to accumulate. I guess it's true that intelligence has no bearing on wealth.

sinkies are good savers,just like the woman cleaner who accumulated nearly 400k in savings while existing on her $600 a month salary.who also happened to have her life savings cheated.