• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat The Dauphin is upset with IDA over the new Internet Policy

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard that the PM and the cabinet are upset with IDA over the handling of this new policy. He did mention to the press accompanying him for the visit to Myanmar that it has not been explained well. Apparently it got worse the following 2 days after the initial 2 days with poorly made comments to the press. The Head of the newly formed CSA told the press that "billions" of attacks are made to the Government networks. The next day the CEO of IDA said that others have done the same but could not provide det. The word is one of the SPH editors told the PM that none of the staff knew what they were talking about.

Issue 1 - Initial press release gave the impression that civil servants will no longer have access to the Internet which is wrong.

Issue 2 - Could not explain what sort of risk that led to the policy change.

Issue 3 - Could not explain how the new policy will work with staff having access to the internet

Issues 4 - The public still have no idea how it will help the govt be efficient and effective in an age where technology is the main engine of progress.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
They are upset because cannot spent time farming in fb n cannot monitor their shares not because of their colleagues no longer hv access. They r not so great after all. But dont worry, they will discover that the ida will switch back its original form to indian defense academy ida n recruit more nehs to take over unhappy sinkies after being the internet disruption agency ida.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't this was about speed. They made the decision to consider this since last April, the pilot started also in April. Think either they had no idea what they were doing or had no idea what the rest of the World were doing it. It now seems that both MFA and MTI had already implemented it.

It also speaks to the fact that they are so detached from the ground.

Haste make waste, they said.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't this was about speed. They made the decision to consider this since last April, the pilot started also in April. Think either they had no idea what they were doing or had no idea what the rest of the World were doing it. It now seems that both MFA and MTI had already implemented it.

It also speaks to the fact that they are so detached from the ground.

They are very attached to the world out there, from the ground, yes!...they know how to tag their salary to the highest in the land....that, they are not detached.

It seems to be, the government is filled with 'headless chickens'......& their head is a "CHICKEN"...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I don't this was about speed.

Speed was always the crux of the issue: if they took time to figure out how they could better manage their systems without compromising operational standards and data security, if they took time to figure out how they could better inform the end users about the shift in operating procedures, etc.

It's like a huge PR disaster if you asked me, making SG the butt of the joke for the Internet community.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
But the plan will only be implemented 12 months from now!

At today's Gigabit speed of internet, why need 12 months to cut it?

Heckings? Terrorists attacks? Serious? 12 months from now? IDA or any other ministries is thinking these hecklers and terrorists are IT-idiots that need 12 months to heck SG government's system?

After decades of using the internet, now then the ministries woke up to face the challenges and the best they can do is to cut off internet access?

I don't know what to say (legs stamping)!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People shouldn't really be surprise by this failure. Just look at the problems with our MRT system, elevators,...

For years I have had the feeling that Spore was being run on auto. The current PAP have been living off the hard work of past generations who did the real work. These people who are now out of work & replaced by foreigners who have no idea what they are doing.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Heard that the PM and the cabinet are upset with IDA over the handling of this new policy. He did mention to the press accompanying him for the visit to Myanmar that it has not been explained well. Apparently it got worse the following 2 days after the initial 2 days with poorly made comments to the press. The Head of the newly formed CSA told the press that "billions" of attacks are made to the Government networks. The next day the CEO of IDA said that others have done the same but could not provide det. The word is one of the SPH editors told the PM that none of the staff knew what they were talking about.

Issue 1 - Initial press release gave the impression that civil servants will no longer have access to the Internet which is wrong.

Issue 2 - Could not explain what sort of risk that led to the policy change.

Issue 3 - Could not explain how the new policy will work with staff having access to the internet

Issues 4 - The public still have no idea how it will help the govt be efficient and effective in an age where technology is the main engine of progress.

Not only did IDA bungle the press release, they made matters worse with each subsequent statement. Now, people are confused. Will there be dedicated terminals where access to the net is still allowed? Will there be exemptions, and if so who gets exempted and on what grounds?

IDA said that people can still copy unclassified material onto personal devices and work from there. Firstly, how do you maintain any form of control as to what people can or cannot copy, if you're going to allow that? And secondly, interfacing with a net-capable device itself creates new points of vulnerability. A worm or trojan horse can exploit the data movement between the secured and unsecured device to do its damage. That's what any computer programmer will tell you. It seems that IDA is completely unaware of even the most basics of computer and network science or they are too lazy to explain to the public.

I read that MOE schools get an exemption. Does this mean that student records are not classified material and there's no security risk here?

Everyone knows that having to work off two separate devices, one net capable and one secured, will create inefficiency. IDA does not address how to maintain work efficiency.

The part about PM Lee being the guinea pig cracked me up too. As PM he is by definition a decision maker and not one who does grunt work. He does not need the efficiency of net connectivity. What he needs is staff to sort, organize and summarize info for him and present to him on a silver platter so he can decide how to act. Unless IDA is telling me that the PM does grunt work and he is therefore a suitable test subject. What a load of bullshit.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... The word is one of the SPH editors told the PM that none of the staff knew what they were talking about ...
as usual, wen got credit, quikly cunm out 2 craim n boast ...

wen tings wen wrong, point fingers @ others ...

skolars woh! ... how can dey do anyting wrong? ... u mean dey cant even sexplain demselves? ... muz b sph covering iz big fat ass ...

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Everyone knows that having to work off two separate devices, one net capable and one secured, will create inefficiency. IDA does not address how to maintain work efficiency ...
if u use 1 of ur computers 2 4ward ur emails 2 ur sidekicks 2 handle n ze other computer 2 debug ur toy computer program, iz chicken feet ...

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
if u use 1 of ur computers 2 4ward ur emails 2 ur sidekicks 2 handle n ze other computer 2 debug ur toy computer program, iz chicken feet ...

Worms and viruses can be transmitted via email. This can occur if you send emails between secured and unsecured terminals. Transmission can also occur if you shuffle files between secured and unsecured systems. This especially so if you use ms windows. The worm can remain embedded and get transmitted to other networking terminals even if they are all isolated from the Internet.

That is why i say that if computer users are not trained to be careful and alert, malicious software can still find their way into isolated systems.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Worms and viruses can be transmitted via email. This can occur if you send emails between secured and unsecured terminals. Transmission can also occur if you shuffle files between secured and unsecured systems. This especially so if you use ms windows. The worm can remain embedded and get transmitted to other networking terminals even if they are all isolated from the Internet.

That is why i say that if computer users are not trained to be careful and alert, malicious software can still find their way into isolated systems.

Let me repeat. IDA is IT illiterate.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speed was always the crux of the issue: if they took time to figure out how they could better manage their systems without compromising operational standards and data security, if they took time to figure out how they could better inform the end users about the shift in operating procedures, etc.

It's like a huge PR disaster if you asked me, making SG the butt of the joke for the Internet community.

they went to ask their staff who came from india. the villages where they lived did not have internet connection, the risk from cyber attack was zero.

it was obvious where the idea came from.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
as usual, wen got credit, quikly cunm out 2 craim n boast ...

wen tings wen wrong, point fingers @ others ...

skolars woh! ... how can dey do anyting wrong? ... u mean dey cant even sexplain demselves? ... muz b sph covering iz big fat ass ...

dont worry after next year helping myanmar to do nation building, we will establish a study trip the year after to learn from myanmar how to connect to the internet.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
@ scroobal

Slightly off-topic.

The term "Dauphin" used to refer to the crown prince of France when the country had the monarchical system of government.

Lee Hsien Loong is now the ruler of Sinkieland upon the passing of Old Fart. He can't be the Dauphin.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Don't use email.....go back to the old days of printed paper stamped with the word CONFIDENTIAL, SECRET & GENERAL....I want to send you some documents I put it in the envelopes mark as I had described & glued, secret ones I use red wax with my imprint to seal the envelope& hand delivered it to you, the CONFIDENTIAL & SECRET, is recorded in a book & when deliver to you, you stamp & sign received....& give it back to the person delivering the documents....unless you hijack the delivery person...you don't have to worry, about, philsing, spam, scam, 'trojans' ( not the condom) etc...