• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat 60s radio programmes.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone remember the programmes that were broadcast over radio in the 60s?..... I remember ' Calling all hospitals ' on Wednesdays at noon and 9am on Saturdays .......hosted by Tan Swee Leong i think.

Also remember ' To each his own ' on Sundays at around 4 pm .....hosted by Bernard Solosa.

Poor Swee Leong who was married three times recently passed away all alone and a pauper.

Fortunately for him, his best friend and former colleague held a wake for him at his residence at Woodlands housing estate.

After creamation another friend buried Swee Leong at sea off the 2nd link.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
thanks for the info....sad that these guys who everyone sort of 'knew' passed on in this manner.

Poor Swee Leong who was married three times recently passed away all alone and a pauper.

Fortunately for him, his best friend and former colleague held a wake for him at his residence at Woodlands housing estate.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Miss World pagent franchise cost him dearly both financially and marriage wise. I remember there was an incident when one of the winners had a major slagging match at Changi airport over their relationship.

Good to know that his friends helped out.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Joe Chandran ended up in a fierce christian cult. It involved a few families, all lived together in neighbouring houses, all sikhs and Indians and both the males and females would dress up in the same colours. I think it was purple. Joe's wife was the leader of the flock. It was small but made up mainly of professionals.

I think they faced some court charges.

a good read....unless i missed it.....missing are the Trailers with Benny Koh. Also i heard Derek Fitzgerald of the Thunderbirds is in a bad shape at the moment.
Dudley Nonis formerly of the Xperiments is still performing with another band.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Redifussion speakers or Radios turned on with music blaring were the norm in nearly every friends house. Unlike today where we had different interests the whole family will be listening to the same thing.

Roger Kool (Kiew) was the one that I remembered well.

By the way, friend's daughter went to China on a student exchange and christian names of the 60s are bit hit amongst students. "Jesus" is also popular christian name even thought the chap is not one.

We used the redifussion as an alarm clock.
The thing was never off on 24/7 though transmission wasn't round the clock.....also electrical supply was independent. Amazing thingy that piece of speaker.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bernard Solosa also died a pauper....had to sell off his house off jalan jelita due to bankruptcy late in his life.
Screwed by maybank over failed golf tours venture.....
His son is a friend of mine now in show business too after a stint in corporate sales.....wife's side is well to do living in landed off Thomson Road.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think they used to broadcast 4 different language programmes over 1 station....unlike today where we have so many dedicated stations.....maybe this is why i don't recall very many programmes apart from music and the news.

They had dialect programmes too.....news in various dialects was the piece de resistance

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read somewhere that proper radios were expensive and Rediffusion subscription was cheaper at $5. So we ended up with cable radio (the speaker) I do remember that it was an integral part of daily life. In a way it acted as a glue of some sort for the country. Mike Emery, Larry Lai, Bernard, Swee Leong, Roger, Brian Richmond, and even the Dutchman.

We used the redifussion as an alarm clock.
The thing was never off on 24/7 though transmission wasn't round the clock.....also electrical supply was independent. Amazing thingy that piece of speaker.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh blardy hell I wasn't born yet in the 60s .........

[video=youtube;Y9quYRVKcOg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9quYRVKcOg[/video]

[video=youtube;lX2GF9XTjUI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX2GF9XTjUI[/video]

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cannot remember any musical program in Rediffusion, but Lee Da Sau story program I remember listening to. Most frustrating parts are always the most exciting happening.....but in next episode!

Songs and music? Can only remember one song every day, without failed, at 6am....Marikita ya, ya sinkiepora.....

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
yes this was in the 80s....the Xperiments were playing in Seaview hotel in Katong and i used to go watch. Little by little they started to play churchy songs as Joe got deeper and deeper into the cult activities. They group subsequently disbanded as Joe went on to try to be a worship leader and Robert migrated to Germany....dunno what happened to George the drummer though.

Joe Chandran ended up in a fierce christian cult. It involved a few families, all lived together in neighbouring houses, all sikhs and Indians and both the males and females would dress up in the same colours. I think it was purple. Joe's wife was the leader of the flock. It was small but made up mainly of professionals.

I think they faced some court charges.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
the week afternoon music was from 1 to 2 pm i think......they played some songs that radio never did eg....Pretty Ballerina and Walk Away Renee by the Left Banke.....Hi Ho Silver Lining by Jeff Beck and Tell it to the Rain by the 4 Seasons.

Cannot remember any musical program in Rediffusion, but Lee Da Sau story program I remember listening to. Most frustrating parts are always the most exciting happening.....but in next episode!

Songs and music? Can only remember one song every day, without failed, at 6am....Marikita ya, ya sinkiepora.....

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Miss World pagent franchise cost him dearly both financially and marriage wise. I remember there was an incident when one of the winners had a major slagging match at Changi airport over their relationship.

Good to know that his friends helped out.

Bernard Solosa also died a pauper....had to sell off his house off jalan jelita due to bankruptcy late in his life.
Screwed by maybank over failed golf tours venture.....
His son is a friend of mine now in show business too after a stint in corporate sales.....wife's side is well to do living in landed off Thomson Road.

Tan Swee Leong's case was very sad. He spent his last six years in an old age home and his four grown up children & his ex-wives severed all ties with him.

All his funeral expenses were taken care of by his friends.

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tan Swee Leong's case was very sad. He spent his last six years in an old age home and his four grown up children & his ex-wives severed all ties with him.

All his funeral expenses were taken care of by his friends.

Any idea why they ALL severed ties with him?
That's sad. His siblings?

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
during his time .... a person with a Grade 1 or 2 for his Senior Cambridge ( equivalent O levels these days ) who had at least a credit in English could
be quite confident of getting a pretty reasonable job with a good salary. Someone who was a good DJ like him would usually be quite popular with the public and with some girls.....so that knid of playboy lifestyle usually followed.

He was a big-time playboy and he neglected them.

His sister and a few close friends helped to pay for his stay in the old folks home.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
no ....never listened to those....now i remember that in the 60s we only had 1 transistor radio, the small type for the whole family.... my brother and i listened to music in the daytime after school but evening my dad hog the radio to listen to other stuff like news and shares.

dat time u got oso listen 2 ... juz a minit ... n animal, vegetable or mineral? ...