• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Tan Jee Say cries for the Late Said Zahari

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Presidential Candidate, Fellow freedom fighter, Citizen of the World and Singapore's Father Theresa Tan Jee Say cries for Said.

Note what he says which seems to be the main reason for the article and not Said - "I too declined to do so despite being asked by the highest authority not once but three times."

http://theindependent.sg/rememberin...fighter-champion-of-press-freedom/Remembering Said Zahari, Patriot and Freedom Fighter, “Champion of press freedom”
By The Independent - June 9, 2016 0 169

By: Tan Jee Say

The name may not be familiar to most Singaporeans today but he was a giant in the fight for freedom and social justice in Singapore in the 1950s and early 1960s. He passed away in Malaysia in April 2016. Said Zahari was fondly remembered by many who knew him at a memorial meeting on Saturday 4 June 2016.

He was a “mentor, comrade, friend, kindred soul”. He was locked away for 17 years without trial from 1963 when he was arrested together with 131 other freedom fighters under “Operation Coldstore” on allegations of being pro-communist subversives. But with the release of British national archives, the whole world now knows that there was no evidence to prove the allegations.

At the time of his arrest, Said was editor of Utusan Melayu, a popular Malay newspaper, who refused to be used as a propaganda tool of the ruling party UMNO. He had organised a strike of journalists in protest.

On the day of his arrest, he had been elected president of Party Rakyat, a Malay political party which was preparing to contest the general election held later in the year.

The sufferings that he and his family went through during the 17 years of his detention, are well documented in the special publication prepared for the memorial meeting, including a “human interest story” chapter by a non-political colleague from the Times group.

For all these sufferings, he did not show any bitterness towards his tormentor except to describe Lee Kuan Yew as a vindictive man. He could easily end his sufferings by agreeing to work for The Straits Times, a condition set by the authority. But he did not, for to do so would go against all that he stood for and for which he led the strike by editorial staff at Utusan and sacrificed his illustrious career.

His refusal to work for the Straits Times resonated with me for I too declined to do so despite being asked by the highest authority not once but three times. Said Zahari did not sell his soul. He will surely rest in peace.

Farewell our hero freedom fighter and champion of press freedom.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I hope that crocodile also cried during operation spectrum when his boss was directly overseeing ..... NEVER MIND!

Amazing he can find a way to bring himself in! Astounded. What a monumental sacrifice too, to turn down a job offer by ST three times and be contented with the lowly position of PPS which most certainly will not result in him selling his soul! Does he want Singaporeans to kowtow to him?

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
The main point here is tjs needs to maintain visibility and exposure during this lull period. My guess is he is aiming for the next PE.