• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fasting hours are longer in Northern Hemisphere! Poor fasting muslims!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a non-muslim, fasting never occurred to me. If dieting ever crossed my mind, it is because of waist-line issues, not because of religious sacrifice. Then I stumble across this article below, and it occurred to me - the earth tilts a couple of degrees on its axis. And that causes differences in sunlight hours across the lattitudes in the world! Shit, then fasting during the daylight hours in the Northern hemisphere is longer during summer! Heck, that must be a pain in the stomach for those Muslims who have to fast during Ramadan! Holy shit! Lucky for me then! I think fasting is good, but its not for me!

Cheers!

http://www.thejakartapost.com/life/...ast-the-longest-compared-to-other-cities.html

MUSLIMS IN REYKJAVIK FAST THE LONGEST COMPARED TO OTHER CITIES

The Jakarta Post
Jakarta | Wed, June 8 2016 | 11:04 am

Muslims in Reykjavik endured the longest first day of fasting in the month of Ramadhan, as revealed through a graph cited by The National.
The first fasting day in the capital of Iceland on Monday lasted 21 hours and 38 minutes, with dawn prayer beginning at 3:08 a.m. and maghrib ( sunset ) approaching at 11:44 p.m.
The list sourced from Islamic Finder compares the length of daylight hours of 68 countries in Asia, Europe, Africa, the US and Australia on the first day of this year's Ramadhan.
Several cities in the Nordic countries such as Helsinki ( Finland ), Kap Farvel ( Greenland ), Stockholm ( Sweden ) and Oslo ( Norway ) saw sunlight for more than 20 hours on Monday, making fasting harder for Muslims as they must abstain longer from eating and drinking from sunrise to sunset.
As comparison, cities in the southern hemisphere, such as Sydney ( Australia ), Buenos Aires ( Argentina ), Cape Town ( South Africa ), Auckland ( New Zealand ) and Santiago ( Chile ) had an average 11 hours of daylight on that same day. The city with the shortest first fasting period was Auckland at 11 hours 16 minutes.
This year's fasting rite will be harder for Muslims living in the northern hemisphere as the holy month falls in summer, which has longer daylight hours than other seasons. In addition to that, this year will also be the longest ( and the hardest ) Ramadhan in the last 33 years as the holy month coincides with the summer solstice, known as the longest day of the year, which will fall on June 20.
Because it follows the Islamic calendar, which is based on calculations of lunar movement, the month of Ramadhan shifts over the years.