• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat RIP Mohammad Ali...allahuakbar

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup, Ali is the GREATEST!! Back then, there was only one boxing champion, and he was Muhammed Ali. His style, was what made us watch boxing. And thinking back, he may have been the world's first rapper!!! But then, it was called poetry!

Cheers!

I use to cut newspaper cuttings of Cassius Clay, ( back then, INTERNET was not around), & paste them into exercise books , back then,we only have newspapers & RADIO, till he was Muhammed Ali....followed his fights till Ali retired....& never watch any boxing matches from the day Ali Retired. Have lost my newspapers cuttings of his fights, what a pity.... Ali, you are the greatest " dance like a butterfly, sting like a bee"...ALI YOU ARE STILL THE GREATEST..:cool:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember that fight, clear as day, I even remember betting on it! When Foreman appeared on the screen, I wanted to withdraw from that bet! He was bigger than Ali! I didn't want to lose the ten bucks I waged for the fight, but it was too late. My cousin (who betted with me said that a bet's a bet). I was overjoyed when George Foreman was sent hurtling down onto the floor! Hey hey! Ali! The Greatest!!! Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!!!
Cheers!

Can still remember the bout he had with George Foreman! In that time, Foreman was like Tyson, one punch and u r gone but Ali stayed and KOed Foreman! When Foreman went down, I was crying ...with joy! Better than any plastic Rocky movie moments anytime !

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yup, Ali is the GREATEST!! Back then, there was only one boxing champion, and he was Muhammed Ali. His style, was what made us watch boxing. And thinking back, he may have been the world's first rapper!!! But then, it was called poetry!

Cheers!

I like him for his boxing.....but ignore the MOUTH. But, he is good as his mouth was & that made him unique.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
His mouth said things that either make you like or hate him. I didn't understand much of what he said then, (during the 70s) but it was entertaining, like when he said the Ken Norton didn't deserve to be world champion because you can't have a world champion that went around showing his ass!!! And when he made that poem about Joe Bugner, and the launching of a British satellite! That was funny as hell. And he said that joe Frazier was fighting for the white man's establishment, that got Smoking' Joe really mad and he went on to bust Ali's jaw! What a figth!

Cheers!

I like him for his boxing.....but ignore the MOUTH. But, he is good as his mouth was & that made him unique.

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
1hxgsh.jpg

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if he were to get drafted, i doubt he would be sent to the frontline in vietnam. he would be used by the army for propaganda and sports purposes. there was more value in him as a spokesperson for the army than just sending him to combat.

and Mohammad Ali doesn't know that? seen in this light, his refusal to be drafted is not cowardice but courage in refusing to be used as a propaganda tool for a white government that has done his people wrong rather than take the easy way out. if you've got a flair for propaganda, you might as well use it for a cause of your own choosing rather than for a cause imposed on you because of some stupid law.

[video=youtube;cu1mBO0Nyv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu1mBO0Nyv4[/video]

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
God blessed him with Parkinson's to teach him a lesson.

To teach him a lesson for being disloyal to friends and not keeping his word but not for avoiding an unjust military draft! God should also punish the crowd of idiot peasants for believing whatever they hear. In fact, he is already punishing the Sinkie peasants with MRT breakdowns, floods and lost of CPF money!

Frazier and Ali were friends. During Ali's enforced three-year lay-off from boxing for refusing to be drafted into the US Army, Frazier lent him money, testified before Congress and petitioned U.S. President Richard Nixon to have Ali's right to box reinstated.[28] Frazier supported Ali's right not to serve in the army, saying "If Baptists weren't allowed to fight, I wouldn't fight either."[29]

However, in the build-up to their first fight, The Fight of the Century, Ali turned it into a "cultural and political referendum", painting himself as a revolutionary and civil rights champion and Frazier as the white man's hope, an "Uncle Tom" and a pawn of the white establishment.[30][31] Ali successfully turned many black Americans against Frazier. Bryant Gumbel joined the pro-Ali, anti-Frazier bandwagon by writing a major magazine article that asked "Is Joe Frazier a white champion with black skin?" Frazier thought this was "a cynical attempt by Clay to make me feel isolated from my own people. He thought that would weaken me when it came time to face him in that ring. Well, he was wrong. It didn't weaken me, it awakened me to what a cheap-shot son of a bitch he was." He noted the hypocrisy of Ali calling him an Uncle Tom when his [Ali's] trainer (Angelo Dundee) was white.[30]

As a result of Ali's campaign, Frazier's children were bullied at school and his family were given police protection after receiving death threats.[32] Ali declared that if Frazier won he would crawl across the ring and admit that Frazier was the greatest. After Frazier won by a unanimous decision, he called upon Ali to fulfil his promise and crawl across the ring, but he didn't.[33] Ali called it a "white man's decision" and insisted that he won.[34]

During a televised joint interview prior to their second bout in 1974, Ali continued to insult Frazier, who took exception to Ali calling him "ignorant" and challenged him to a fight, which resulted in the two of them brawling on the studio floor.[35] Ali went on to win the 12 round non-title affair by a decision. Ali took things further in the build-up to their last fight, The Thrilla in Manila, and called Frazier "the other type of negro" and "ugly", "dumb" and a "gorilla"[36] At one point he sparred with a man in a gorilla suit and pounded on a rubber gorilla doll, saying "This is Joe Frazier's conscience... I keep it everywhere I go. This is the way he looks when you hit him."[37] According to the fight's promoter Don King, this enraged Frazier, who took it as a "character assassination" and "personal invective".[37] One night before the fight, Ali waved around a toy pistol outside Frazier's hotel room. When Frazier came to the balcony, he pointed the gun at Frazier and yelled "I am going to shoot you."[38] After the fight, Ali summoned Frazier's son Marvis into his dressing room, and told him that he had not meant what he had said about his father. When informed of this by Marvis, Frazier responded: "you ain't me, son. Why isn't he apologizing to me?"

For years afterwards, Frazier retained his bitterness towards Ali and suggested that Ali's battle with Parkinson's syndrome was a form of divine retribution for his earlier behavior. In 2001, Ali apologized to Frazier via a New York Times article, saying "In a way, Joe's right. I said a lot of things in the heat of the moment that I shouldn't have said. Called him names I shouldn't have called him. I apologize for that. I'm sorry. It was all meant to promote the fight".[39] Frazier reportedly "embraced it", though he later retorted that Ali only apologized to a newspaper, not to him. He said: "I'm still waiting [for him] to say it to me." To this Ali responded: "If you see Frazier, you tell him he's still a gorilla."[40]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Frazier

[video=youtube;PLWYnTFz9PE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLWYnTFz9PE[/video]

Last edited: