• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Lawyers whack the Attorney General back

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/201...ment-on-lawyers-acting-on-kho-jabings-behalf/

Two of the three lawyers who have represented Kho Jabing, a Malaysian national who is convicted of murder and sentenced to death, spoke out in response to the media statement issued by the Attorney-General Chambers (AGC) alleging that the lawyers abused the process of court. (Read AGC's media statement here)

Mr Alfred Dowell's reply similarly published on his Facebook account,

I am truly surprised that the AGC have decided to take the lawyers to task for acting in the Kho Jabing matter. I know every lawyer on this team worked tirelessly, fearlessly and sacrificially to save a life from death, in this case, the life of Kho Jabing.

I would state categorically that this is the sad reality of the practice of law in Singapore, that we have to be subjected to personal statements and attacks of this nature and with the release of media statements knowing that the Main Stream Media will not give us a fair reporting. I will soon make available the submissions, the full arguments and all that is relevant and related in this case, so that those who are seriously interested to know more about this issue, can take it first hand rather than what is reported to make us look bad and make the state organs look good.

As a lawyer, I have always upheld the ends of justice, always acted in my clients best interest and always taken on any case that will help the client, regardless of who the client may be. I have always been a firm advocate against the death penalty. As conventional wisdom would have it, the death penalty makes murderers of all of us. I agree with the statement.

In the case of Kho Jabing, 3 High Court Judges have found that the evidence is questionable and decided against the death penalty. There remains many questions over Kho Jabing case and the process. I will deal with it over time. There is and will always remain questions over the death penalty imposed on Kho Jabing. Hence, I do not at all regret having taken on this brief, albeit in the 11th hour, to have filed an application on Constitutional grounds and to have argued this matter before the Court of Appeal.

With respect, just because the AGC issues a media statement saying that we abused the process, does not translate into it becoming the gospel truth. It is their perspective. Many others have commended us for it. But I do not practice for praise nor recoil in fear of criticism. I do my job in the noble tradition of lawyers around the world and in Singapore who have done their utmost to save precious lives.

Perhaps the AGC should explain why when JC Kannan Ramesh clearly did not allow me into the Chamber hearing, the next day their DPP Francis Ng informed the Court of Appeal that I did not enter the chambers for "reasons best known to him" (that is allegedly I did not enter for reasons best known to me, as if to insinuate that I had a choice and choose not to enter into the chamber beating). I was shocked at this. I protested before the Court of Appeal. Even Jeanette stated clearly I was disallowed as we were not from the same law firm. No attempt was made to determine if I had a warrant to act for Kho Jabing and to act as co-counsel. I was told I could not enter the Chambers. That's all I know and next day DPP Francis Ng was saying I did not enter for "reasons best known to me". Surely the Learned DPP Francis Ng would have known I was disallowed. So, essentially whilst the AGC had 3 lawyers allowed into Chambers, Mr Jeanette Chong-Aruldoss was left alone to argue in Chambers without the benefit of co-counsel.

I was there to argue for a cause, a cause against the death penalty. I did it as I firmly believe that no client, especially death row inmates, should be denied their right to mount challenges, especially constitutional challenges, even if there might be a flicker of hope perhaps to win the day.

Well, why did the AGC appeal against Tay Yong Kwang J's decision. He decided that it should have only been a life imprisonment with 24 strokes of the cane.

The statement 'abuse of process' is thrown around too often to cause fear in lawyers from taking on cases. I am not in the least bit intimidated by such statements. I do not believe I abused the process at all, especially if it means there was only a flicker of hope to save a precious life from death.

As a Christian lawyer, I do my part to uphold what I believe to be the cause of justice and to save a life, any life based on my Christian teachings. Jesus pardoned one man from death even as he was on the cross. Jesus came to save the world, that means each and every person in this world. I will do my part to save each person I can. I do not discriminate against any person, regardless of race, religion, gender, and LGBT. Every one deserves dignity in life and dignity in death. Kho Jabing deserved a second chance and to see out his life in prison. He did not shy away from his penalty, he just wanted it to be life imprisonment. Many commendable lawyers around the world do their utmost to save precious lives in death penalty cases. I am proud to be following in that tradition. I did my utmost to save him. I am sad we failed. I am proud of my work under stressful circumstances in this case. I will do it again without hesitation.

Hence, I disagree with the AGC media statement in its entirety and I will not dwell on this issue any longer. It's a waste of my time. It will not bring Kho Jabing back to life.

I will continue to fight for the cause against the death penalty and all other worthy causes, regardless of how controversial it might appear, and regardless of what the AGC or any other may say.

Perhaps we can take this issue to the international arena and ask leading jurist from around the world if this is an abuse of process.

With respect, to have a media statement from the other side (that is the AGC) is truly a self-serving statement that I cannot and I will not take seriously.

That is all.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/201...ment-on-lawyers-acting-on-kho-jabings-behalf/

As a Christian lawyer, I do my part to uphold what I believe to be the cause of justice and to save a life, any life based on my Christian teachings. Jesus pardoned one man from death even as he was on the cross. Jesus came to save the world, that means each and every person in this world. I will do my part to save each person I can.

That is all.

This religious nutcase should be hanged next to join his client in heaven. That is all.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
PAP is lumbar one for abusing process of court. What a fucking hypocrite. He should self immolate himself.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
This religious nutcase should be hanged next to join his client in heaven. That is all.

You pass judgement huh, for hanging tis lawyer with PAP's backing huh? Dont talk cock. Tis is the type of lawyer u shld have to represent you if the cuntry practise full democracy.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why so blur. The lawyer withdrew everything his statement and apologised profusely to the court. Go read his letter of apology.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal

Same religious nutcases will not hesitate to quote the bible whenever they are bankrupt of reasons. This alone discredits all he stood for.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same religious nutcases will not hesitate to quote the bible whenever they are bankrupt of reasons. This alone discredits all he stood for.

Interesting argument. Your point is Valid.
God's name and his will should not be quoted in vain.

As a Christian, our philosophy in life should be centered around him.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lawyers should work for the clients, not for the courts. This notion of officers of the court is bs!

almost all lawyers in pte practice work to enrich themselves esp those at the apex who are buying 1 bungalow each year..........HUAT ah

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why so blur. The lawyer withdrew everything his statement and apologised profusely to the court. Go read his letter of apology.

The apology from our modern Indian Knight Templar.

Source-Straits Times
Date-31 May 2016
Author-Ng Huiwen

Lawyer Alfred Dodwell issued a written letter of apology to the Supreme Court yesterday for "baseless" allegations he made against the court following the execution of murderer Kho Jabing.

He did so after the Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) pointed out to him that certain allegations he had made were in contempt of court and entirely untrue, an AGC spokesman said.

On May 21, the managing director of law firm Dodwell & Co LLC had written on his personal Facebook page: "If we invoke the supreme law of the land, the courts should not wave it away to hurry towards execution.

"It's a pity that we have the DPP (deputy public prosecutor) saying so and the judges saying so."

He also wrote: "Same judge sitting on most of the hearing and a challenge to his own ruling is mounted and expecting a different result is never gonna happen."

A day before, Kho, a Malaysian, was executed for bludgeoning a foreign worker with a tree branch while robbing him in 2008.

Mr Dodwell was among three lawyers who had launched multiple last-minute appeals in a bid to delay Kho's execution.

On the morning of the execution, the apex court had heard arguments from Mr Dodwell and lawyer Jeannette Chong-Aruldoss, who each filed a civil application against Kho's death sentence, which was a criminal matter.

Judge of Appeal Chao Hick Tin called the lawyers' actions "an abuse of the process of the court".

In his letter to Supreme Court Registrar Vincent Hoong yesterday, Mr Dodwell said he accepted that the allegations made in his Facebook post were "completely baseless and misleading, and in contempt of court".

He added: "I also accept that the allegations did not constitute fair criticism, and have scandalised the court."

He withdrew the allegations and apologised "unreservedly" to Judges of Appeal Chao and Andrew Phang Boon Leong, as well as the other judges of the Supreme Court. The apology was made public on his Facebook page.

Contempt of court is a serious offence that undermines the administration of justice, said the AGC spokesman. "It is an even more serious transgression when it emanates from an officer of the court, a practising lawyer."

Source: Straits Times © Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Permission required for reproduction.

- See more at: http://www.singaporelawwatch.sg/slw...aseless-allegations.html#sthash.P9k9EKwc.dpuf