• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat NS swimming training is crap, Reservist drowns in Croatia, how to go to war?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE - A 25-year-old undergraduate drowned in Croatia on Wednesday (May 25) while on a three-week European holiday to mark his graduation.

National University of Singapore (NUS) undergraduate Andy Chow Kok Haw, a pharmacy student in his fourth year, was swimming at a waterfall at Krka National Park, a few kilometres north-east of the city of Sibenik, when the accident occured. He was due to graduate from NUS in July.

It was previously reported by Chinese newspapers Shinmin Daily News and Lianhe Wanbao that he had been white water rafting when the accident occured, but his family has since disputed this.

His father, Mr Victor Chow, 55, told The Straits Times that his son had been swimming at a deep segment of the waterfall, with his friends some distance away, before he drowned.

"Nobody knew it was that deep. There were people swimming around as well. But when his friends noticed he was missing, it was already too late," said his father, who is an engineer.

Mr Chow's friends alerted the authorities and divers were brought in to retrieve his body.

It was his first time to Croatia, though he had previously backpacked in Europe before. He had also learnt swimming "on-and-off" before and during army, his father said.

While his family has accepted that it was an accident, they are still coping with the loss.

"Sometimes when you're swimming, anything can happen. You can't predict it," his father said. "It's a very hard period for us."

Friends and schoolmates were shocked when they first learnt about the news on Tuesday (May 31). Many of them described him as friendly and approachable person, who had a ready smile for others. He also enjoyed playing sports.

An adventure buff, Mr Chow was an active member of the NUS Rovers, an outdoor and adventure interest group. He was also previously the group's treasurer.

The former Hwa Chong Institution graduate was a recipient of the MOH Holdings Health Science and Nursing Scholarship in 2012.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It is possible that he was dragged under by the turbulence.

There is a big difference between being able to swim in a pool and surviving in rough waters with undercurrents.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There is a big difference between being able to swim in a pool and surviving in rough waters with undercurrents.

yes, more so in the pool under the waterfall where water is endlessly churning. when i was vacationing in oahu, all swimmers going into the pool at waimea falls must wear life jackets. no ifs or buts. even the best swimmers were forced to wear. here's a pic i took.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes, more so in the pool under the waterfall where water is endlessly churning. when i was vacationing in oahu, all swimmers going into the pool at waimea falls must wear life jackets. no ifs or buts. even the best swimmers were forced to wear. here's a pic i took.

View attachment 26893

Apparently very dangerous to swim at waterfall area. My sibling also had one university classmate who drowned in a Msia waterfall. I can't remember which one as decades ago.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apparently very dangerous to swim at waterfall area. My sibling also had one university classmate who drowned in a Msia waterfall. I can't remember which one as decades ago.

it's about 40 feet deep in the middle. very murky due to turbulence and has an undertow. if someone goes under it's hard to locate.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

NS training in watermanship obstacle course with weapons and pack, is supposed to be tougher then swimming in waterfall.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
NS training in watermanship obstacle course with weapons and pack, is supposed to be tougher then swimming in waterfall.

I've been through that and it is easier than dealing with the rips on NZ's West coast.

The trick is not to panic and fight against the currents. You literally have to go with the flow and then take the long way back to shore.