• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious teacher suffers burnt out after 4 years of teaching,is hopeful about repost to MOE HQ

EunoiaJAYCEE

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I first started teaching, I loved my job. I woke up every single morning, feeling grateful for having the opportunity to work with so many students and for having the chance to impact their lives. I went out of my way to help my students in every way possible. I have accompanied students to the hospital/clinic, I have had to go to the police station for students, and I have spent hours and hours trying to track down students who ran away from home. There were weeks where I would be in school from 7am to 7pm, and then go home to continue with work. After a while, to be specific, after about 4 years, I found myself losing steam. I no longer had the energy to give it all. I could no longer deal with constantly thinking about work, be it lessons, marking, about the welfare of the students or various other committee/cca work. I started going home earlier. I started imposing cut-off times for myself (i.e. if I am unable to finish the work by 5pm, it is just too much work). I started resenting myself for not being as dedicated as I was in the first few years of teaching. I constantly compared myself to what I was like 4 years ago, and felt that I had become so much more cynical.

That is when I decided I needed to get out. Perhaps not leave teaching forever, but to take a break, maybe from the school, or perhaps from teaching itself. For the next 3 years, I tried and tried and tried to get out. I wanted to stay within the ministry, but for various reasons (which I shall not bore you with), it never materialised. The harder it was to leave the school, the more I wanted to. Finally, last year June, I got a posting of my choice. I was ecstatic. I never gave much of a thought to my last week in school, assuming that I would be nothing but happy.

Today is the last day of the term, and my last day as a teacher for the next 3 years. I have spent the past few days feeling really down, and somehow, I do not feel as relieved or euphoric as I thought I would.

Rather, I feel a huge sense of loss. While I am glad I am leaving, because I do need the break, I am angry with myself for having allowed things to reach this stage. Where I placed so many unrealistic expectations on myself, to the point where I almost burnt out a mere 4 years into the service.

More at Of Farewells.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: teacher suffers burnt out after 4 years of teaching,is hopeful about repost to MO

how many months of school holidays she want....................lazy bitch...............

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: teacher suffers burnt out after 4 years of teaching,is hopeful about repost to MO

No such thing as more lobo yet less happy civil servant. Such thing is call ownself say ownself shiok. Reality check - any former student wellwishers sad to see a good teacher go HQ? I don't think so!

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

why not start her own tuition business?heard nowadays tuition can earn up to $100 an hour.just need to tutor 10 hours a week can pang gang.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I constantly compared myself to what I was like 4 years ago, and felt that I had become so much more cynical.

it took u 4 years of teaching to realise that about the world and human nature,now u are emotionally scarred and damage and will forever require xanax and anxiety medication and serotonin and prozac to numb the dullness and pain and hopelessness and wake up everyday asking yourself is it better to live a monster or die a good man/or woman.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

she needs a little bit of perked up between the legs. it will soothe her soul and mind.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

This teacher is too idealistic. She deserves to be crucified and cast aside. A pragmatic teacher or civil servant who knows how to network will enjoy work-life balance and climb her way to the top.

Maximuz

Alfrescian
Loyal

I had to learn the hard way that to truly care, you must must not care at all, which takes practice and experience. Then, when you become cynical and hardened, you are able to both identify those who are receptive to the care, and the skillful means to deliver that care.

Last edited:

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal

She is sick of the old environment, but at the same time she is afraid of having to start all over in a new environment. She would rather stick with that she is familiar, not that she loves teaching.

I bet to my last dollar she is part of the 70%. She will kpkb about bad PAP policies, but when push comes to shove she will lan lan vote PAP.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sounds like a dedicated caring teacher indeed. No wonder suffered burnout.

"The lessons I have taught them will be forgotten once their exams are over, but the lessons I have learnt from them, on how to be a better person will never be forgotten. I have taught thousands of students of the years, and they come from so many walks of life. I hold a special place in my heart for the ones from struggling families, because I have learnt so much about resilience from them. I will also never forget the arrogant ones, the demanding ones, for they have also made me realised how much work we all have left to do, to create a generation of good hearted people. Sometimes, I allow these students to make me dread stepping into the classroom. I often make the mistake of forgetting about the students who make all the effort worthwhile. The ones who send random thank you messages for no reason, the ones who remember you despite having graduated batches ago. The ones who promise you they will work hard, and stick to their word. The ones who liven up the classroom with their sense of humour. The ones who are fiercely protective of their teachers. The ones who use what little pocket money they have painstakingly saved, and make little cards or buy little trinkets to show their appreciation. The ones with dirty shoes and un-ironed uniforms, who tug at your heartstrings, and make you worry. The ones who are always sitting alone in the classroom during recess, because they don’t have money to eat. The ones who seek too much attention, and make you wonder why. The ones who have so much love to give."

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

she needs a little bit of perked up between the legs. it will soothe her soul and mind.

This teacher is too idealistic. She deserves to be crucified and cast aside. A pragmatic teacher or civil servant who knows how to network will enjoy work-life balance and climb her way to the top.

I suggest she undergo this sperm programme. Special Perk for Educators Requiring Motivatiion. The SPERM will be taught n released to her over a period of 2 months ine a one to one counsellimg that opens up her mindset on life, lifestyle, etc so she can be a better person.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

At my social gatherings, I often hear teachers bitching about their workload. Most working adults, be it PMETs, towkays, blue-collared losers, have long working hours. Everyone has something about their work that they don't like. So why are teachers bitching so much as though they bear the brunt of all workplace unhappiness?

Not happy, just quit and change jobs. No need to whine and bitch so much.