• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Damned NZ weather!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
printLogo.png

Get out your woollies, winter has arrived

11:41 AM Tuesday May 31, 2016
SCCZEN_A_2212SPLLAKEHAYES_220x147.jpg

Queenstown will have an overnight high of -3C. Photo / Supplied

Get your winter woollies out - you are going to need them today.

Chilly weather conditions and occasional showers or rain will cover much of the country as we prepare to welcome the first day of winter tomorrow.

Snow will be widespread in some parts of the South Island and authorities are advising motorists to take extra care.

Auckland has a temperature high of 16C today and an overnight high of 7C. Occasional showers are forecast and there is chance of heavy rain and thunder, MetService says.

Hamilton, where there is a 14C high, will get some showers too. However, they will clear this afternoon - as will westerly winds.

It is a little warmer further north, in Whangarei and surrounding areas, where there are temperature highs of about 17C and only a few showers forecast today.

Napier, Tauranga and Whakatane all have similar weather conditions, with highs of up to 15C, fine spells and morning showers.

Those in Wellington will be feeling the cold as temperatures range from 8C to 10C; while New Plymouth and Palmerston North are expected to get showers with a chance of heavy rain later this evening.

MetService meteorologist Ciaran Doolin said: "Today we're in this cool, southwesterly flow which is affecting most of the country. It's more or less going to be characterised by showers, particularly in eastern areas of the South Island and in the far south and then the western areas of the North Island.

"And it's also going to be very cold. Most places in the South Island -- there's going to be a lot of places that won't get above single digits. And up into Auckland and the North Island,[temperatures] are probably not going to get above the mid-teens, depending on how far north you are."

There is snowfall on a number of main roads including Lewis Pass, Arthur's Pass, Porters Pass, Lindis Pass and Milford Rd.

Transport for Christchurch said a number of South Island state highways were being affected by the cold snap, which had brought snow to low levels in parts of Otago.

The following conditions are affecting South Island state highways:

SH8: Omarama to Tarras (Lindis Pass) - Snow - Chains must be carried.
SH1: Waitati to Pinehill - Snow - Winter driving conditions exist. Take extra care.
SH87: Kyeburn to Outram - Snow - Winter driving conditions exist. Take extra care.
SH85: Kyeburn to Palmerston - Snow - Winter driving conditions exist. Take extra care.
SH94: Te Anau to Milford Sound (Milford Rd) - Snow - No towing from Hollyford turn-off through to Milford Sound. There is light snow in the vicinity of Homer Tunnel.

Christchurch will get some showers today and has a temperature high of 9C. Those in Queenstown will start to see a few sleety showers, clearing in the evening, with an overnight high of -3C.

Invercargill is forecast to get a high of 9C and some showers, which will ease later in the evening.

The sunniest places today look to be Nelson and Greymouth -- both forecast to have long sunny spells.

- NZ Herald

Copyright ©2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this morning, melb's temp. was at 2 degree celsius. i like it cold and when i was studying in scotland 20 years ago, it was minus during the winter. whenever it snow, we sinkie students 'd snow fight with our french schoolmates then. it was a lot of fun. i think boss will enjoy this coldness at his age. haha...lol:biggrin:

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this morning, melb's temp. was at 2 degree celsius. i like it cold and when i was studying in scotland 20 years ago, it was minus during the winter. whenever it snow, we sinkie students 'd snow fight with our french schoolmates then. it was a lot of fun. i think boss will enjoy this coldness at his age. haha...lol:biggrin:

not bad, u studied in Scotland. May I know which Uni? Edinburgh?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
For Canadians, when we hear people complaining about how cold it gets where they live, it sounds balmy to Canadians. -5 degrees is cold? Not if yesterday was -10, then when it "warms" to -5, it starts to feel warm! Its all in the mind! And we say, its not the temperature, its the wind! If one is all wrapped and bundled up, and its not windy, you don't feel the chills, but when the wind blows, it creeps into ya bones and ya starts to shake! Then you watch TV, and they show holiday resorts on some tropical palm beach, and then you tell yourself - Gosh, it sucks here!!!

Cheers!

.....................Those in Wellington will be feeling the cold as temperatures range from 8C to 10C;.....................

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I just cannot imagine -10c weather? If given option, I would stay in the fridge (-1c only) instead of staying at canada at -10c

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Went ice-fishing once, wore socks designed for -40C. And still froze my butt out there! Daily commute in icy weather is no fun! Bloody hazardous road conditions man! Make sure ya pee before driving off. Getting stuck on ice-clogged roads become much worse when ya suddenly gotta pee!

Cheers!

Damn, 3 layers of clothing and still need heater at times.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
During winter, sometimes, I keep the six pack of beer outside the house - it keeps cold there! The only ones who like winter are kids, they play without a care in the world, of getting dirty. For adults, its dreary and it sure sucks! Best thing to do is stay indoors, and bake something. The home smells nicer too!

Cheers!

I just cannot imagine -10c weather? If given option, I would stay in the fridge (-1c only) instead of staying at canada at -10c