• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat President Tony Tan and first Lady visits the Holy See

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
By now you must have read about the visit by our President to the Vatican and the meeting with the Pope. He led a delegation that had Cabinet Minister Iswaran, Josephine Yeo and 2 MPs. And we complain about overworked Cabinet Ministers.

And Straits Times sent a Journalist along as well.

I am still wondering why the Vatican. I seriously cannot think of why the Head of State and a delegation needs to visit the Vatican. I am wondering if this is a trip to tick off someone's personal bucket list or a perk for our politicians to have some down time. There is no trade involved, there is nothing of economic value and Singapore certainly did not need the Vatican's help to carry Operation Spectrum. In fact the Archbishop and staff were treated badly and badgered by the Old Man.

My sense is that he has to be most detached President that we have had. He does not seem interested in Singapore and Singaporeans. One possible factor is that he took the 35% mandate personally.

At least Nathan would turn up regularly at East Coast and would chat with Singaporeans as they walked by. Wee Kim Wee was excellent and you always see him in nearly every local event. Even Nair used to visit Singapore schools and hold classes. Ong Teng Cheong famously queried the state assets. Both Sheares and Yusoff Ishak carried themselves well.

Tony on the other hand despite being a former DPM, veteran cabinet minister etc seems so removed and absolutely colourless. I sense that he was pressured into it and his heart was not in it. They should have left him and his wife to enjoy their retirement in London.

Both the President and the delegation would have created some opportunities if they visited the Caribbean and open the doors for our local businessmen. Still scratching my head. I am fully aware of diplomatic protocol and ceremonial routines but this is a period where Singaporeans are losing jobs, the market is not doing well, there is social and cultural tension, the infrastructure is at breaking point etc. Does not reflect well on the establishment for the timing of the visit.

I am wondering if it even makes sense to have a President just to follow international convention of having a Head of State. When Yusof Ishak was made President it sent a powerful message to Singaporeans and our neighbours on how we want to fly our flag. Not sure if we want re-examine and go back to first principles.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Did the Holy See order all the naked stone sculptures and paintings to be covered up so that they do not offend His Excellency Dr. Tony Tan?

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
He's Catholic and I think more than 10% of our pop is Catholic. Also he's visiting the most enlighten Pope in recent history. Anyway there's more things to gripe about than this!

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If Tony Tan is neutral, he should also bring one or two of our opposition ministers along with other PAP ministers. Why the unfair treatment?

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every Romam Catholics will have to kowtow to the big boss in Vatican and do their bidding.

I just hope they will remember who is the real boss otherwise Roman Catholicism will be just a religion like Buddhism.

And also, oppositions have no respect in Singapore. Don't expect too much of the Singapore garment. As long as they dun round them and jail them without trails.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every Romam Catholics will have to kowtow to the big boss in Vatican and do their bidding.

I just hope they will remember who is the real boss otherwise Roman Catholicism will be just a religion like Buddhism.

And also, oppositions have no respect in Singapore. Don't expect too much of the Singapore garment. As long as they dun round them and jail them without trails.

The big boss is really upstairs! The one in Rome is only his secretary!

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I doubt he is a Catholic...think he is an Anglican...and KFC is not meant for public service. He is too elitist to lower himself to such a level. He is only president n former minister cos of connections with old fart n wife. He is president to protect the interest of the oligarchs. Sooner he is gotten rid off the better.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dont worry.. The pope is just respected as honorary CEO...most Catholics dont follow what he preaches...they just lead their own lives...look at Catholic pinoys...they are not tat religious as food comes 1st.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
He's Catholic and I think more than 10% of our pop is Catholic. Also he's visiting the most enlighten Pope in recent history. Anyway there's more things to gripe about than this!

he cud not afford the expenses of making a personal and private trip????

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
he cud not afford the expenses of making a personal and private trip????

Toni should invite Pope to address ParLEEment of the land of the Kiasi and home of the Kiabor and remind Lightning that the chief aim of politics is the pursuit of the COMMON good, stimulating the growth of ALL its members and refusing to return the People's CPF is a grave sin ..........

[video=youtube;NNUcR6EFp08]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNUcR6EFp08[/video]

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
our KFC want the Pope to poh pee Ah Heng fast fast leecover isit

According to insider news. PAP ministers and Tony have committed grave sin against the sinkies. Confession has to be done to the highest of the Pope because PAP see our local Pope no up.