• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Thailand buys China Main Battle Tank

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
No fight against angmos tanks.

Those fake buddhists will surely die in the battlefield.

Entrusting their lives to communists! :-)

The only angmo tanks they are potentially fighting are Polish ones in Malaysia and Russian ones in Vietnam. That angmo standard is tak pakay compared to US, UK, and German tanks.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
can get good bargainif opting for zinc diecast ones..........

I heard Chinese MBT ZTZ-99 is just over $2.5 million USD. that's a good bargain for a new tank. Or just ask MINDEF, maybe they can buy the used KP for $500,000 each. We don't need it anymore.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
PRC and Russian new tanks has automatic laser weapons which USA n NATO lacks.

Array of laser sensors around the tank will pick up any threat from surface and air to detect that enemies laseraimed towards our tank.

Automaticaly will the weapon fire back a strong laser that will blind enemies eyes, and destroys their aiming facilities.

Very nice thing to blind attack aircraft pilots, bcos that will crash US$100M plane.

According to Russian webs, laser weapons also triggers smoke screen protection and alert tank driver to flee.

With Putin's Armata tanks, it is also supposed to automatically take digital photo of the threat aiming our tank and send photo into integrated battlefield intelligence system, register an enemy anti-tank position.

I oso got small but very powerful laser pointer........ yet to use on enemy motorist...........

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
@Pap, any reason why the Malaysians went for the Polish tanks.

There was much internal discussion in the Kor Armor di raja Malaysia (malaysian armour corp), and much disagreement over the purchase of a modified and updated T-72. In the end, I believe if I recall from the news at that time, was that the malaysians offered an offset commodities payment for the PT-91. I believe that the Poles took partial payment in Palm Oil. And the price was cheap too. The Poles were desperate for an overseas sales, plus the usual bribe money floating around. Also don't forget that at that time, the biggest armour threat to Malaysia was the AMX-13 from singapore. The KPs were in Taiwan and officially did not exist, even though at least one battalion was stationed in storage in SIngapore. As far as the malaysians were concerned the PT-91 will beat up the AMX-13 every time. Of course, once the PT-91 became operational in Malaysia in 2007, the SAF immediately started to retire the AMX-13. And replaced it with the Leo 2.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
$5M for a mbt?

Ok not that expensive. so how much is an anti-tank missle to destroy it?

Saw many videos in utube guerillas using cheapo missiles to shoot down helicopters easily.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
$5M for a mbt?

Saw many videos in utube guerillas using cheapo missiles to shoot down helicopters easily.

All modern tanks have this thing called Armour. So its not easy for anything to kill them.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$5M for a mbt?

Can buy more tanks and change more often...no need buy expensive ang mor tanks and keep for long time..

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Die SG Leopard tank got vulnerabilities!

It's telling everyone where to shoot!

The turrent will be blown apart!

Upgraded_Leopard_2A4_SG_NDP_2010.JPG

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I recall, the Chinese sold the Type69 to them at friendship prices. Very cheap, and I also heard there were a lot of problems with them too. Like cracked chassis and stuff like that. The tank, based on the T-55 was already very obsolete by the time the Thais bought it in 1987. After the Chinese stopped making spare parts for
it, the Thais retired their Type 69 and sunk them in the seas and turned them into artificial reefs for divers. Thats more then 12 years ago. there is a good youtube post on it.

Lets say that for the purposes the Thais had for the tank, it was ok. Its not going to go toe to toe with the neighbour's tanks like Vietnam or Myanmar. The Thais still retain their American made M48 and M60s, which they procured even before 1987. So that goes to tell you how long the chinese tanks last, and what the thais think of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxJlhnuD_Mc

The friendship price was $69k a piece if I remember correctly. As for the cracks I think you are referring to the stingray light tank.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The friendship price was $69k a piece if I remember correctly. As for the cracks I think you are referring to the stingray light tank.

Yes, you are probably right. the stingray had an aluminum armour hull, and i think they might have problem with the welds.. Its been some years and my memory is not that good.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard Chinese MBT ZTZ-99 is just over $2.5 million USD. that's a good bargain for a new tank. Or just ask MINDEF, maybe they can buy the used KP for $500,000 each. We don't need it anymore.

Makes me wonder why Bionix even was ever built?? To further the interest of a select group of turkeys or vipers?
Wud you know how much STK charged Mindef for 1 Bionix???

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, you are probably right. the stingray had an aluminum armour hull, and i think they might have problem with the welds.. Its been some years and my memory is not that good.

............ you mean Al2O3 or Al ??? armour..........

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was much internal discussion in the Kor Armor di raja Malaysia (malaysian armour corp), and much disagreement over the purchase of a modified and updated T-72. In the end, I believe if I recall from the news at that time, was that the malaysians offered an offset commodities payment for the PT-91. I believe that the Poles took partial payment in Palm Oil. And the price was cheap too. The Poles were desperate for an overseas sales, plus the usual bribe money floating around. Also don't forget that at that time, the biggest armour threat to Malaysia was the AMX-13 from singapore. The KPs were in Taiwan and officially did not exist, even though at least one battalion was stationed in storage in SIngapore. As far as the malaysians were concerned the PT-91 will beat up the AMX-13 every time. Of course, once the PT-91 became operational in Malaysia in 2007, the SAF immediately started to retire the AMX-13. And replaced it with the Leo 2.

my got Apache or not??

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Makes me wonder why Bionix even was ever built?? To further the interest of a select group of turkeys or vipers?
Wud you know how much STK charged Mindef for 1 Bionix???

Way too much. In 1997, they paid over $8 million for one of the original Bionix 1. They could have bought a M2 Bradley for around $5 million. And the Bradley is combat proven. Of course the much improve Bionix 2 will be the region of over $10 million each. SAF is the cash cow for ST.

Bionix was build to be a showcase project for some unproven organizations in the MINDEF establishment. Ostensibly, the main objective was to replace the M113, although I have yet to hear anyone complain about them. and a secondary objective was to develop a light tank version to replace the AMX-13. I have to admit there was a need of a modern IFV at that time. but there were already many off the shelf IFVs that for some reason or other, they decided not to buy. The IDF themselves had no problem with the M113 and used the Zelda upgraded version.

The Bionix is a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. For some fucked reason, and to keep all the scholars happy in chiak liao bee organizations, ST not only had to work with HQ Armour, but also had to include DMO, and DSTA in it. For fuck, I don't know. HQ Amour and ST sit down is all that is needed to lay out the specs for the new IFV. All these other orgs join in is like some fuckfest. But at that time, DMO and DSTA were relatively new, and these 2 unnecessary orgs. were given this project to work on too. In fact, the specs should have been solely drawn up by SAF and then tendered to all the armour manufacturers of the world. They can then modify their own designs to compete in it. But it was all given only to ST on the piss poor excuse that all the off the shelf equipment was not suited to the SAF requirements. Lancheow lah. In the end, the Bionix was very close to IFV like the M2 Bradley in terms of power to weight, armour protection, mobility, engine power, etc. and only different in overall length and width. And not by that much either.

In the end, too many cooks in the kitchen, and end up with the shit we have. Somewhere along the way, the snake oil salesman Diesenroth came into town and sold them the MEXAS armour package for the Bionix 2. The design is a failure as far as I can see. They needed as many chassis as possible to defray the R & D costs. But the failure to turn it into a light tank deprived them of at least 300-400 orders. They were going to put an Oto Melara 120mm low recoil turret on the Bionix, but the suspension cannot take the weight and recoil. there is a reason why experienced builders like United defense build their M2 and M3 on a wider and longer chassis, and so they can be upgraded and upgunned.

In my opinion, u don't need DSTA at all. Armour and the Air Force can pick their own equipment without the help of these desk nerds. its an insult when you have DSTA putting in their 2 cents and Armour has to lan lan follow them.