• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Impressions of a Police Commissioner

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe that Leo Yip was smart and knew that he would be better as a Permanent Secretary, than to wait for his turn to be the Commissioner of Police.
GLK left as a DC, became ?? at MHA, and now is the Chief of Inspectorate and Review Division at MHA.
Soh Kee Hean is a Senior Director in the same Division.
I believe that it is not because KBH is very good as Commissioner of Police, and remained as CP for so long, but rather several very senior scholar officers who were apparently ear marked for CP, left the SPF.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was Aubeck one of them too? He's also now a PS while KBH is knocking his head on a glass ceiling. I don't think he's even SDS anymore.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was Aubeck one of them too? He's also now a PS while KBH is knocking his head on a glass ceiling. I don't think he's even SDS anymore.

I believe that Aubeck Kam was also ear marked to be the Commissioner of Police, but left.
Aubeck Kam is now the PS for Ministry of Communications and Information.
(I believe that Aubeck Kam was considered PS material when he was a SAC at the SPF)

Whereas KBH was a Senior Deputy Secretary (I assume that the PSC did not consider him good enough to be a Perm Sec or Second perm Sec at MHA), but is now the Senior Advisor to the MHA (I speculate that they did not assign much work and responsibilities to KBH).

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Regarding Leo Yip Seng Cheong

The Straits Times, 18 January 2000, Page 61 - eResources
eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/.../straitstimes20000118-1.2.68.18.asp...
Jan 18, 2000 - He takes over from Senior Assistant Commissioner Leo Yip, 36, who has been appointed Principal Private Secretary to Senior Minister Lee ...

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/five-new-permanent-secretary-appointments
SINGAPORE — The Public Service Division has made changes to the line-up of Permanent Secretaries, which will take effect from Dec 1.

Chairman of the Economic Development Board (EDB) since 2009, Mr Leo Yip will be appointed Permanent Secretary for Home Affairs. Mr Yip was Principal Private Secretary to then Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew in 2000, and Deputy Secretary, Ministry of Manpower in 2002. He has also served as Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Manpower in 2005.

He will replace Mr Tan Tee How, who will be appointed as Commissioner of Inland Revenue and Chief Executive Officer of the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore.

More about Leo Yip:

Mr Leo Yip, born in 1963, joined the Singapore Police Force in September 1982 on award of the Singapore Police Force (Overseas) Scholarship. After graduating with an Economics degree from the University of Cambridge UK, he returned to serve the police in July 1985. He obtained a Master of Business Administration from University of Warwick, UK in 1991 and a Master in Public Administration from the JFK School of Government, Harvard University, USA in 1994. In the Singapore Police Force he held a series of policy, planning and command appointments. His last position was as Director (Operations) at police headquarters.

In January 2000 he became Principal Private Secretary to then Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew till August 2002 when he joined the Ministry of Manpower as the Deputy Secretary in charge of policy and development matters. His responsibilities covered labour relations and welfare, human capital development, manpower policy and planning, corporate planning and organisation development. He led the Ministry’s work to establish the Singapore Workforce Development Agency (WDA) in 2003, and served concurrently as Chief Executive of WDA from September 2003 to June 2005.

Mr Yip was Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Manpower from July 2005 to September 2009. He led the ministry’s policy and operations work covering manpower planning, workforce upgrading, foreign workforce policy, occupational safety and health, industrial relations, workplace practices, Central Provident Fund policy, human capital development and global talent attraction.

Mr Yip joined the Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB) as Deputy Chairman in September 2008. Mr Yip was appointed Chairman of the EDB on 1 July 2009. He also chairs the Boards of Directors of EDB Investments and EDBI.

Based on the above, I believe that Leo Yip was and still is a high flyer, because within 15 years (since he graduated from Cambridge), he became a Senior Assistant Commissioner of Police, and during that 15 years, he obtained a MBA (1991) and a MPA (1994)

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Regarding Aubeck Kam

Singapore steps up security measures ahead of IOC Session
By S. Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : With the likes of world leaders like Tony Blair and Jacques Chirac coming to Singapore for the 117th IOC Session, security will be an important factor.

And Singapore's security agencies are leaving no stones unturned for a smooth and orderly session.

More than 2,000 Police, SAF and Civil Defence officers will be deployed for security and traffic operations for the week-long events.

Police also stress that no permits will be issued for outdoor marches or processions, and a reminder that it is against the law to do so without a permit.

The Raffles City Convention Centre will be the focus of activity for the IOC Session.

And with political leaders and media personnel expected, elaborate security arrangements have been put in place.

From 11pm on July 1, all vehicles entering the basement car park of Raffles City will undergo security checks.

Likewise, for vehicles entering the Esplanade on July 5 for the official opening ceremony.

To facilitate the checks, one lane of Bras Basah Road, Stamford Road and Beach Road nearest to Raffles City will be closed.

Motorists headed towards Chinatown or Shenton Way are advised to avoid Bras Basah Road, and use Victoria Streeet or Hill Street instead.

Senior Assistant Commissioner Aubeck Kam, Director of Operations at the Singapore Police Force (in 2005), said: "Our concern is that for motorists who are able to plan their journeys ahead... they could avoid going through the areas so as not to contribute to the congestion.

Mr Chan Yeng Kit, Permanent Secretary (Information, Communications and the Arts) will
be appointed Permanent Secretary (Defence Development) on 1 November 2012.
Mr Aubeck Kam, Chief Executive Officer, Media Development Authority, will be appointed
Permanent Secretary (Communications and Information) on the same date.

http://www.psd.gov.sg/docs/default-...el-changes-at-two-ministries-and-the-iras.pdf

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Regarding Wong Hong Kuan

In Oct 2008, Assistant Commissioner Wong Hong Kuan was Director, Operations.

In 2010, Wong Hong Kuan, 39, was appointed the Deputy Commissioner of Police (Policy)
and the current CP, then Assistant Commissioner (AC) Hoong Wee Teck, 47, will be appointed Director of the ...

Mr Wong Hong Kuan, who is currently the Deputy Commissioner of Police (Policy) in the Singapore Police Force (SPF), Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), will be appointed as Chief Executive (CE) of the Singapore Workforce Development Agency (WDA) with effect from 1 June 2011. Mr Wong will succeed Mr Chan Heng Kee, who will be taking up another public sector appointment with effect from 1 April 2011.

WONG HONG KUAN
Mr Wong Hong Kuan will be appointed Director, Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) on 1 Oct 2013. He will join CPIB as Director (Designate) on 1 Sep 2013.
Mr Wong is currently the Chief Executive of the Singapore Workforce Development Agency (WDA). He joined the Civil Service in 1995 as an Assistant Superintendent
of Police in the Singapore Police Force (SPF), after graduating with a Bachelor of Accountancy (Class I Honours) degree from the Nanyang Technological University.
He rose through the police ranks and became the Deputy Commissioner of Police (Policy) in November 2010, after holding several other appointments in the SPF
including Commander, Training Command; Commander, Bedok Division; and Chief of Staff, SPF. Hong Kuan also spent two years in the Budget Division of the Ministry
of Finance from July 1996 as the Assistant Director (Infrastructure & Economy).
He was absorbed into the Administrative Service in Jun 1998.
In the SPF, Mr Wong oversaw the security coverage of major events including APEC 2009 and ASEAN Summit 2007. He also reviewed the configuration of police
institutions and revamped the system of talent management.
As CE, WDA, he worked with tripartite partners to strengthen the Continuing Education and Training (CET) and Employment Facilitation (EF) ecosystem to
improve access to WDA’s services for professionals, managers and executives (PMEs), the special needs community, and ex-offenders. On his watch, WDA helped
enterprises restructure and improve their productivity through productivity and capability development programmes, paying special attention to Small and Mediumsized
Enterprises (SMEs).

NOTE:
Within a period of 15 years (1995 to 2010), Wong Hong Kuan rose from ASP to Deputy Commissioner of Police (ASP, DSP, Supt, DAC, AC, SAC, DC),
and during that period, he spent two years at the Budget Division of the Ministry of Finance.
As a local graduate (not a SPF Overseas Scholar), Wong Hong Kuan is a super high flyer.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Khoo Boon Hui still CP meh............? he was when i left the FARCE 17 years ago....!

all knew these scholars are useless farks.............i predicted long ago in a riot, sure jialat one........but not as comical as it turned out.........

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I do not believe that those two usernames are the same individual, one may be a former senior civil servant, whereas the other appears to be formerly with the SPF.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cant coz subordinate Leo will be his boss. Think he is now Senior Consultant aka cho bo lan.

With respect, that is the least the govt and PSC should do, so that KBH does not have to report to his former subordinates, such as Leo Yip, Wong Hong Kuan, Aubeck Kam.
It looks like KBH is now the Special Advisor at MHA, and possibly not much to do, no heavy responsibilities, and not sure who he reports to. I speculate that he may come and go as he please, until his retirement, and thereafter, collect his "comfortable" pension.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cant coz subordinate Leo will be his boss. Think he is now Senior Consultant aka cho bo lan.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks GD. Come to think of it I think his title changed to Senior Consultant when Leo Yip became PS. I also know that KBH is in some advisory role in the civil service college.