• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Impressions of a Police Commissioner

yourdaddy

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason for the large nos of OMS given out in 2009 was to meet the unexpectedly high attrition rate in the Admin Service ( scholars leaving before their bonds expire ) in the last three years and the larger number of Management Associates who were not confirmed as AOs after their 2 year trial period. As for the "higher quality" of applicants mentioned ( by the PSC? ), you need only look at the overseas IHLs that the successful scholars are able to gain admission too ( anecdotal though this evidence may be ). Of course the PSC can never admit that they have not been getting the "best and the brightest" in each cohort.

The only thing you got right is the attrition rate. The economic boom from 05 to 07 resulted in many scholars receiving irresistible offers from management consultants and banks. As it is, it is not uncommon at all in Singapore for people to leave their jobs after 3 to 5 years and switch to a different company.

For NTU/NUS/SMU farmers who graduated in the last 10 yrs, they actually switch companies every 1 to 2 years, don't they? I'm sure you know their pattern..

Even if scholars were to break bond (i suspect you'd come up with that), as many many many of the scholars from government sectors and the GLCs are from rich families, most of the bond breakers don't break bond before the 4 year mark. Hence there is nothing earth-shattering shocking for a scholar, no matter how high flying or handsomely paid to feel the itch or curiosity to leave the AS for a stint, when faced and offered a platter of enticing packages, after six or eight years (bond duration).

The MAP programme is so new, that NOT a single batch of scholars who kena the MAP programme is up for confirmation. Please check with whoever feeding you the gossip, probably one of your local grad farmer friends that you didn't know was a farmer.

The first batch of scholars that kena the MAP is the 1980 batch. The 1978/9 batch and those older, were all absorbed in the AS scheme without MAP. All scholars of the three prestigious classes (SAFOS, SPFOS and OMS) have direct MA from the 1983/4 batch onwards. The 1980 batch is still not up yet, and there are even people who haven't started their postings for long.

Please tell your farmer friends to sleep on the job less, gossip less and do more work instead of wasting taxpayers' money.

The most prestigious and most difficult to get into universities are HYPSM and in the UK, Cambridge and Oxford, but the statement is dependent on the department in question. I know some NUS fools who manage to make it to post-grad of some renowned college overseas, but in the easiest and most ridiculous department that the college is not even known for. And i'm sure you don't know this. It's very much easier getting into a top school through post-grad than at undergrad level. If you have the brains sufficient for O levels, you might figure out why after pondering it for a few hours. In fact, the higher up you go, the easier it is to get a place in the same school.

A few years ago, NUS promoted itself by feeding info to the state press that it trumped Harvard in the Engineering rankings of some dubious ranking board (that no one gives a rat's ass about) when no American scholar worth his salt goes to Harvard for engineering!!!! It was such a tragic comedy, Singaporeans studying in top universities, both scholars and non-scholars alike had a great time laughing their socks away.

As for universities of scholars, no problem there. They are still going to the most popular and top programmes in top universities, pretty much the same choices made by their predecessors 5 years ago and 10 years ago.

The only change in trend witnessed and recognised by the powers that be and the scholars, is how the UK universities used to be the only place scholars go to before 1990. Anyone who knows anything knows that our scholars were only sent to the UK before that, starting with Lee Hsien Loong. After the mid 90s, the IT place to study became America, as engineering and science departments of American universities were recognised to be superior, as Singapore moved further away from its fading memories as a ex British colony.

The only scholars who went to the UK after 1995, were those doing Arts (although a very high number of scholars went to American premier universities for humanities such as Yale, Harvard, Georgetown, Northwestern, Stanford - which is good at everything). These would be scholars going to Oxford's world famous PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics), and those going to Oxford and Cambridge Law (the favourite of OMS legal service).

There was another shift in trend, when the Humanities gained unexpected favour in the middle of 2000s.

Before 2000, no one denied that the overriding perception of the powers that be, and stereotyped notion held by top students and teachers are that top people, are in the science fac in JC. A quick perusal at the disciplines of study of our ministers who were JC kids in the late 70s and through 80s will yield the same results. Engineering made up most of the CVs of our scholar policy makers.

This changed in the middle of 2000s, when humanities became the flavour of the day and 9 out of 10 PSC scholars choose to do humanities in universities. Because of this, the balance between US and UK universities swung back in favour of the UK because of the strong humanities history of the country and strong departments in Oxford, LSE and Warwick. When I say "swung back", i only meant swing back to 50-50 between US and UK, because before the Humanities trend, it was 70-30 US and UK since the mid 1990s.

You don't know a thing about the system, PSC or scholars and most definitely, about top universities.

Anyway, instead of repeating your same line over and over again without any substantiation, as if you believe that if you say the same line over and over again, it could actually fly (it doesn't), why don't you put your money where your mouth is? You have been overturned time and again by Mugabe's facts and evidence. He was even kind enough to show you a list of the universities that PSC scholars of the last few years have gone to, making it so convenient for you. Maybe you could pull out your own data from your skiving farmer friends in the system, ask them to come here and back up their idle gossip or otherwise, offer something substantial beyond repeating the same one liner over and over lah.

Out of 3, 2 infos are duds. If you're paying for this rubbish, you've been sorely fleeced.

And DD is DEFINITELY not Director. In some cases under the Director there are at least 4 DDs!!! Goodness. LOL.

Last edited:

yourdaddy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your sentence structure and poor power of comprehension is no different to the nick "sammymugabe". Why the need to use 2 nicks. I doubt its giving any additional value.

There are preferred path but nothing is cast in stone. When previous CPs held the CID directors role, there was no DD post in existence. Since then there has been additional rank created, posts upgraded and new posts introduced. Like the SAF, the SPF has also seen downgrading as an organisation. The appt of Ng as CP is telling. His less than stellar quality is well known.

I suspect you are working as clerk or exec in a Govt HR dept but have little clue what the ranks, posts actually mean. You are not even aware that local qualified non scholars have held PPS and went on to become PS and this was not during WWII.

I'm sure you feel comforted if you believe that everyone in disagreement with you is the same person. Wow, structure! You must be a linguistic expert. No wonder, I also sense that your "sentence structure" sounds like heartlander, bhoven and pocoyo and whoever else. You must be them.

When your credibility and opinion are called into question, you quickly say that it is SPF's fault if NG is appointed as CP. Just like it'd be SAF's fault if someone you were attacking was CDF.

When Ng was made DD, obviously the position of DD was already created so lets talk about current era lah. Khoo stayed in his position for damn long. When you need to come up with "previous CP" era to defend yourself and the last CP stayed for more than 10 yrs, you have hardly a list to choose from. Can you please tell us if Ng was DD before or after Wong was director of Ops, since the claim was that mandatory posting for CP is director of Ops/CID, however, now excuse is that Ng was DD in a time when DD is created and ex CPs there was no DD post.

So you're in essence, admitting that the former intel offered about Director of Ops/CID being mandatory tours for CP is outdated. This is the logical conclusion, because now you're arguing that you had only said that because during dunno how long ago, there was no DD appointment.

Thanks for admitting that your intel is outdated and applicable 10 years ago only. And when the 'policy' changed, now you say it's because SPF is dwindling in quality haha. And if Wong farmer became CP, then SPF would be improving in quality is it? Oh, and why did Ng become CP over Lock, when Lock did the "mandatory tour" in the outdated handbook? Oh must be SPF's fault again.

So does it mean a farmer cannot be PPS?? I said that they are all farmers. I did not say that they "cannot be PPS". Don't you know that we have a Senior Minister who was from NUS? Why you say got ONE PPS was a farmer? Why don't you say got ONE Senior Minister?! Isn't Goh bigger than a mere PPS? How many of him are there? Does that mean that NUS grads are not sysmetic farmers? What kind of poor logic and IQ do you have? From the things you say and the knee deep of folly you're in, I doubt you even know a single scholar PERSONALLY.

And your other trick. Calling anyone who calls your bluff a HR 'clerk' or 'exec'.

You were the same detached-from-reality Fanboy-of-scholars who thought that there are scholars among the medics and farmers in SAF Medical. Up until a few yrs ago, they didn't even make the Chief Med Officer BG estab. Chief Med stays as full Col for most part of career, and some maybe gets a nominal star at the end of service. More like you're a old grotty reject (sporting fungi) of the system back in the 1980s, whose children were rejected by the same system later on, and now spend your time enquiring about who's who in the civil service during your reservist days and daily from your farmer jia liao bee friends rotting in the civil service.

Which happy non-scholar in the private sector spends his time monitoring the careers of public service high-fliers and crafting posts on the Internet about three SPF scholars who are now in their late 40s (and happily enjoying themselves, might I add)? I have so many relatives in the private sector who never spent a single day working for the government, let alone be a scholar, and none of them are so free or even bother about this. This is truly funny. And what's funnier is the gall you have in believing that you have the inside scoop downpat.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Take it easy. Its obvious that you have fundamental issues as the raw emotions are evident pretty much in every paragraph. What you have posted are factual thus my belief that you are working in the admin side of HR. However you are drawing the wrong conclusions. So you are certainly not aware of policies and reasons behind them.

I can assure you that none of the local institutions are comparable to Ivy/League or oxbridge so its a waste of time repeating it. Everyone is in agreement.

I am guessing here but I suspect that you are an overseas grad reporting to superior who came from local institution. Thus the heavy resentment and the obsession with "local farmers". You might want to seek help.

I'm sure you feel comforted if you believe that everyone in disagreement with you is the same person.

yourdaddy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Take it easy. Its obvious that you have fundamental issues as the raw emotions are evident pretty much in every paragraph. What you have posted are factual thus my belief that you are working in the admin side of HR. However you are drawing the wrong conclusions. So you are certainly not aware of policies and reasons behind them.

I can assure you that none of the local institutions are comparable to Ivy/League or oxbridge so its a waste of time repeating it. Everyone is in agreement.

I am guessing here but I suspect that you are an overseas grad reporting to superior who came from local institution. Thus the heavy resentment and the obsession with "local farmers". You might want to seek help.

Don't worry about me. I may not even be working. I get a good time out of calling bluff, the kick gets to me. I am much more relaxed than you.

I'd be more concerned about you if I were your friend. I know you're not aware or conscious, but your fanboy behaviour is not normal.

You may like to seek urgent therapy from a certified counsellor. I've ever taken counselling courses for fun in my spare time. I can give you some contacts.

yourdaddy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fanny, LKY did not "want to make SAFOS prestigious because of his 2 sons". He made SAFOS prestigious by putting his sons in SAF. which came first? The cart or the horse? Your knickers are in a twist. You mean PM and LHY were passionate about defence and so good militarily that they became SAFOS, and then later LKY has "no choice but to make SAFOS prestigious"? Haha.

I'll await Bhoven on his response on the IHLs of non SGS scholars or how a higher number from new batches of MAs not confirmed eagerly when the first batch of MAPs haven't even finished. He's free to run through the links on the IHLs of scholars afterall it's public information. All he does is to do present his own data, and invite his jia liao bee friends to come forth and join in.

Last edited:

yourdaddy

Alfrescian
Loyal
ONE pps, ONE senior minister and you already have your heads in the clouds and you dunch noe that people on local sponsorship and local grads are farmers..something that the whole farkin' world, even those not in employment of the gahmen know leh. You two are really adorable in an amazingly naive way. And bovine dear, chiu can forget about Wong getting a shot at CP lah. Ng Joo Hee is staying for another 10 yrs like Khoo. By then got floods of SPFOS all primed and ready waiting liao lah.

Fanny fanboy, your gem about "old man want to make SAFOS prestigious cos his two sons are SAFOS" is so hilarious and exposes your confusion so badtch i think its time you ask your meds from your nurse in the ward.

Chiu knickers are in a twisty twist, suffocating your balls that you can't focus on your fanboy tracking of high-fliers properly, wat a shame.

BTW, Yeoh Chee Yan is not a farmer even though she wasn't a bonded scholar. She joined the civil service as an LSE grad. Same goes for Tharman leh.:biggrin: LSE stands for london school of economics.

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: KBH and CCK

Sorry bro, here are explanations

Khoo Boon Hui is the current Police Commissioner (CP). Together with Goh Liang Kwang and Chua Chin Kiat, the 3 were SAF scholars that were transferred to the Police and in time took over the leadership of the Police. Nearly 2 decades later did Old Man reveal publicly that that all 3 failed the SAF "wrangler" scheme which is highest scheme and therefore were transferred to the Police. Goh Liang Kwang became no 2 and until recently. Chua Chin Kiat was subsequently transferred as Head of Prisons and retired recently

It marked the decline of the Police Force and it manifest in the way they handle thing. Unable to handle a civil disturbance, overreacting, chasing away from amking a police report, unable to handle gang violence, unable to testify competently in court etc. An SICC member told me that he could not believe that KBH was a Police Officer let alone a CP as they were both in SICC golf committee.

When old man's sons were in the SAF, the Police lost its mettle and attention of the big brass. It was neglected. Only ISD mattered. SAF became the star organisation. It became a dumping groud. The better ones were seconded to other organisations. In NZ, Canada, UK etc, a Police Constable will advise dispersing when a civic gathering is breaching the peace but in Singapore, a DSP or ASP is required. The whole thing will take hours within hundreds of personnel involved, heavy gear, riot equipment etc.

If you met any of the 3, you would know that they were better suited for something else.

Goh Liang Kwang in the 1990s were seconded to head the now defunct Singapore Broadcasting Authority. This was the organsiation that was to control the Internet and TV, Radio etc but not the print press. Within a year it folded as they realised that they could not block portion of the internet except to block the whole thing.

By the way, this was the thread that caused a lot a headache for many people and the authorities. Nobody heard from the guy the day after he revealed his uncle's name who was with ISD in this thread.

The thread was accurate by a wide margin.

I recall that KBH and CCK were transferred from the SAF (they were SAFOS, and were with 1 SIR).

If they were not SAFOS, and ordinary officers like you and I, they would probably be court martialled.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
According to Wikipedia, KBH joined SPF in 1977 after graduating in 1976. Thus he never really served long enough to be assessed by the SAF. My uncle who served in old man constituency before told me that there were no police scholars in the 70s. The old man saw a gap and decided that some of the better brains need to be put in the police to shake things up and get the house in order. As such some of the SAF top scholars were selected to go over to the police force. Remember this was in the 70s, a tumultuous time. Knowing his style, it is impossible that the old man will put incapable people in the force, and allow them to rise all the way to the top. Looks like KBH is the one who has proven his mettle over the years and made it to the top.

bro scroobal, are you just sore that you did not do as well?

KBH and CCK did not choose to be transferred to the SPF.

If my memory serves me well, the soldiers in their company (they were company commanders in 1 SIR) went AWOL.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
KBH is not an SAF reject. Maybe he's paying the price for not choosing SAF (a few CDFs have moved on while KBH is still in the SPF).

The poster either has a grudge against him, or had conveniently lumped him with GLK or CCK.

However, KBH seems to be the first CP who did not see real action, unlike GYH and TTB rose through the ranks during the difficult 60s and 70s and has probably been involved in turmultous situations.

Do not know whether GLK or CCK are SAF rejects, though.

I believe that probably due their (KBH's and CCK's) soldiers AWOL (from 1 SIR), the SAF and / or the SG govt. has to "save face", and transferred KBH and CCK to the SPF. That may have given rise to the SPFOS.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
According to Wikipedia, KBH joined SPF in 1977 after graduating in 1976. Thus he never really served long enough to be assessed by the SAF. My uncle who served in old man constituency before told me that there were no police scholars in the 70s. The old man saw a gap and decided that some of the better brains need to be put in the police to shake things up and get the house in order. As such some of the SAF top scholars were selected to go over to the police force. Remember this was in the 70s, a tumultuous time. Knowing his style, it is impossible that the old man will put incapable people in the force, and allow them to rise all the way to the top. Looks like KBH is the one who has proven his mettle over the years and made it to the top.

bro scroobal, are you just sore that you did not do as well?

With respect, I believe that KBH and CCK (alhtough SAFOS), did not quite cut the mustard when they were Company Commanders in the SAF, and accordingly, were transferred to the SPF.
I have no axe to grind, because they were in 1 SIR and I was in HQ 2 SIB.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I knew nothing much about any CP until my first class in PA. When organization chart was introduced, my first impression of the CP at the top was that I almost choked with trying to swallow back laughter. I pretended to cough lest I really couldn't hold back the laughter and got into trouble.

His name was Tee Tua Ba. A Chinese squadmate beside me whispered, Tee Tua Ba meant big shameless pig. :eek:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I knew nothing much about any CP until my first class in PA. When organization chart was introduced, my first impression of the CP at the top was that I almost choked with trying to swallow back laughter. I pretended to cough lest I really couldn't hold back the laughter and got into trouble.

His name was Tee Tua Ba. A Chinese squadmate beside me whispered, Tee Tua Ba meant big shameless pig. :eek:

wah ang moh kia you actually understand dialect?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are probably right as Aubeck Kam has been absorbed into the Admin Service full time whilst Soh Kee Hean has been posted to CPIB. Lock was tested as the first head of ICA and then assumed the post of Director CID. All past CPs have served either as Director Ops or Director CID..( these are must postings ). They must also be AOs. Incidentally, the post of Chief of Staff ( last filled by SKH who is now mado watching at MHA ) is still vacant after he was posted out. GLK fumbled whilst at SBA and this destroyed his chance to be CP. A dark horse for CP is Wong Hong Kuan current Director OPs. A local police scholar he has leap-frogged over his seniors including some SPFOS such as Ng Joo Hee now Director of Prisons. There are many SACs now...unlike 3 years ago. Btw just to corect Loaded 8888's post , none of the 3 musketeers ( KBH,GLK and CCK ) who were "told" to switch from SAF to SPF were President's scholars. Indeed, SPF has never succeeded in retaining any of the President scholars who signed up with them ( if nothing else this proves that they are not of lesser quality than SAFOS ) viz. Lum Hong Fye, Benedict Cheong, Cheng Tye Heng, Ong Kian Min, Mark Yeo etc. Sadly, since 4 to 5 years ago, the quality of both the SAFOS and SPFOS ( and OMS too ) has been declining as the attraction of government scholarships with its long bondage has dwindled. This is evident from the CVs, academic grades, universities that they gain admittance to and course of study pursued of the more recent scholarship receipients

This may be late, and others may have posted responses,
but I believe that KBH and CCK were the second batch of SAFOS, and they were President's Scholars.
They were told to switch to the SPF, but for those who were aware at that time of what happened at 1 SIR, they were "transferred" to the SPF.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
to: bohchap1 117 of 764

108918.117 in reply to 108918.78

KBH was not LKY;s 1st choice for CP post. i am sure you have met KBH. he cannot even carry a proper conversation, no eye contact. like a shy boy scout ! though 100% faithful to his wife working in Temasek, this is just one incapable CP paid very well. just a miracle he survived so long as CP. perhaps the rest are worse.

GLK was made CEO of SBA some years ago. George Yeo was his boss. i was told GY was shocked to discover GLK was a president scholar. he must have performed miserably. a very indecisive leader whose voice is so soft he is better off searching for a job that does not require him to speak.

Chua Chin Kiat is the other "3 jokers". All three were president scholars from the SAF punished to the SPF. he is director of prisons and just a greedy chap who loves to eat FOC, especially Jap food. his subordinates will just carry his balls. a recently promoted supt of police, adrian quek whose wife is huang biren is known to always bring his wife's colleagues to functions hosted by chua to sweeten and beautify the occasion. even after being investigated by the cpib for links with ah long san and after a short sentence at the police academy to cool off, supt quek remains one of the privilege few to survive and do well after cpib probe.

more stories soon ...............................

then underling Leo Yip has leapfrogged n now PS MHA.... good as he knows the dirty games played by sr officers in MHA

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
GLK has retired quietly. No replacement. PSC losts its handle during the late 80s. The chairman Lee Hee Seng's favourite excuse was that he had to do National Service and he actually used the term "National Service"

Lee Hee Seng is old fogey shit