• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Election Dept Files Police Report Against Opposition For Illegal Election Advertising

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Prime Minister Office (PMO) has just released a statement about the filing of police reports by the Assistant Returning Officer from the Election Department against socio-political site, The Independent Singapore (TISG) and two individuals – Teo Soh Lung and Roy Ngerng – for publishing several online articles and postings that may be tantamount to election advertising, on Cooling-Off Day and Polling Day of the recent Bukit Batok by-election.

Election advertising is defined as any material posted on any platform that is intended to enhance the standing of, or promote electoral success for, an identifiable party or candidate.

Under the Parliamentary Election Act, posting of election advertising on Cooling-Off Day and Polling Day is prohibited, as ELD that is governed by the Prime Minister Officer, states that this campaign silence period is meant to give voters time to reflect rationally on issues raised before going to the polls.

On 6 May (Cooling-Off Day), TISG published two articles, "5 highlights of DPM's speech" and "Workers' Party and the Bukit Batok By-election" and on 7 May (Polling Day), it published an article, "Tan Cheng Bock denies involvement in posting by irrational group of PAP fans".

As for the two other individuals, both posted posts that supposedly support the candidate from the Singapore Democratic Party on cooling off day.

In filing the police reports, PMO notes that the Assistant Returning Officer has taken into consideration the nature of the postings and the potential impact that they might have had. It stated that socio-political sites such as TISG that regularly promote, propagate and discuss political issues should be accountable and responsible for what they publish.

"Not only did TISG publish articles that may be tantamount to election advertising on Cooling-Off Day, it continued to do so even after receiving a specific reminder from the ARO not to post any election advertising during Cooling-Off Day and Polling Day. The two individuals – Teo Soh Lung and Roy Ngerng – also regularly engage in the propagation, promotion and discussion of political issues." write PMO.

Posting election advertising on Cooling-Off Day and Polling Day is an offence under Section 78B(1) of the Parliamentary Elections Act. Any person who is convicted of such an offence may be fined up to $1,000 and/or jailed up to 12 months.

http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/201...on-advertising-breaches-tisg-two-individuals/

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Election Dept Files Police Report Against Opposition For Illegal Election Adverti

Just a fine, won't be going to jail. TISG may in addition get some sanctions. I don't think people understand what the cooling of period means. Ho Ching for the 2015 GE put on her Facebook a long article of the establishment achievement without mentioning the PAP. She has never ever wrote an article on Facebook of this nature. She however pit it out that 2 days before the cooling off day knowing full well that her fans and porlumpar will disseminate her message over the next few days including the cooling off day. It was dirty and clearly made light of the rules.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Election Dept Files Police Report Against Opposition For Illegal Election Adverti

Why no charge for hanging banner by PA member? And no charge against Braddel brothel for publishing article by mrs chiam?

blueRad

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't get it. I thought ordinary citizens still can make opinions?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Why can't the opposition play by the rules like PAP, instead of forever breaking the rules and then crying foul about being persecuted for being opposition? Sinkies are getting tired of them. Roy is not tired forever getting into trouble with the law?

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This is one action I'm glad they took, because I believe it will come back to bite them hard.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They may be administered with a police warning in lieu of court prosecution.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why can't the opposition play by the rules like PAP, instead of forever breaking the rules and then crying foul about being persecuted for being opposition? Sinkies are getting tired of them. Roy is not tired forever getting into trouble with the law?

Yes, sinkies are getting tired of the opposition. Why can't PAP do us a favor and silence them off for good? Why the hell are the opposition pestering sinkies for votes? It's been almost 51 long years and what the fuck did they achieve? Please leave us sinkies and PAP alone.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Only stupid people plays by PAP rules. PAP rule is election result is determined by the PM.

It is time sinkees who want a free sinkapore change strategy.

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal

What the fuck is a cooling off day?
Everyone gets so heated so need 1 day to cool off ah?
If cooling off day is a public holiday, i agree.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Only stupid people plays by PAP rules. PAP rule is election result is determined by the PM.

It is time sinkees who want a free sinkapore change strategy.

Most sinkies agree that PAP stands for integrity and incorruptibility. If you don't play by PAP's rules, it means that you don't have integrity.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am not sure about Roy with his past record of posting things without thinking. Teo Soh Lung is a lawyer who should have known better. The only thing going of them is the warning administered to Walter Fernandez from the last elections.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes on expressing your opinion even online but thru the commercial entity and more importantly it must not be perceived as canvassing. The law being vague is obvious when the Elections Dept had to come out with a set of guidelines and the guidelines are only helpful as they are less vague. TISG should have known better.

The cooling off day is pure bullshit. It serves the PAP only and anyone who had long tenure and want to maintain the status quo. It certainly helped in 2015.

I don't get it. I thought ordinary citizens still can make opinions?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

hello PAP already break the GE rule with cooling off shit thing.

entrapment is it and when they break the rule is oK but others cannot?

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal

The whole COOLING DAY law is nothing but RUBBISH and should be REPEALED! Which democracy in the 1st world have such a SILLY law like COOLING DAY?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore has no court. PAP is the persecutor and judge of Wayang Singapore. Our supreme court is dead and impotent. Bluntly put, completely useless.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The whole COOLING DAY law is nothing but RUBBISH and should be REPEALED! Which democracy in the 1st world have such a SILLY law like COOLING DAY?

Cooling day is for the electing candidates to drink Liang Teh. Don't read too deep into what Cooling Day means. I still post my opinion in this forum swearing at PAP on cooling day with my Liang Teh next to my PC.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I am not sure about Roy with his past record of posting things without thinking. Teo Soh Lung is a lawyer who should have known better. The only thing going of them is the warning administered to Walter Fernandez from the last elections.

Plus the good showing from the MIW in GE and BE. From my knowledge, they tend to be magnanimous when in good mood. Police investigation will therefore gravitate towards their 'suggestion.' i recall an incident when an office holder of SMOS appointment indicated 'do not overkill' in the aftermath of a GE when a police scholar was hell-bent on going for the kill.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What the fuck is a cooling off day?
Everyone gets so heated so need 1 day to cool off ah?
If cooling off day is a public holiday, i agree.

it is meant for the candidates to phak chiew cheng.