• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat DPM Tharman: Better to be poor in SG than in France, US and Denmark

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
DPM Tharman: Singapore’s poor are better off than those in France, US and Denmark

By admin -

Speaking at an international conference on inequality at the National University of Singapore (NUS) yesterday (May 26), Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shamugaratnam marketed Singapore like a snake oil claiming that the poor and middle class here are better off than those in France, US and Denmark.

Minister Tharman claimed that according to his statistics, 14% of those born in the bottom income quintile made it to the top quintile by their late 20s, and that this figure is double that of the United States and higher than Denmark’s 12%.
He then mocked France’s “belief in equality”, criticizing France that one out of five left school with no qualifications and that one-third of their 15 years olds have repeated at least a year in school.

Minister Tharman then started praising his government’s housing policies and claimed that there is no “single disadvantaged neighbourhood”:

“What we get for free is social equity in the economic sense because as a result of integrated neighbourhoods, everyone enjoys the same grade of home price appreciation and equity accumulation. The result of all this is that, while we have disadvantaged families and individuals in Singapore, we do not have a single disadvantaged neighbourhood.”

The Minister avoided the topic on income inequality in Singapore. Singapore has a GINI coefficient of 0.464 in 2014, the highest among all developed countries, and even higher than US’s 0.40. Unlike France, US and Denmark, there is no social welfare and Minimum Wage in Singapore. According to the Economist Intelligence Unit, Singapore’s cost of living ranks 1st in the world in 2016.
Also contradictory to Minister Tharman’s claims, rental flats are formed in clusters and places like Circuit Road and Redhill Close with higher concentration of low-income dwellers and renters being well-known “disadvantaged” neighbourhoods.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If our poor were living in Europe, they would probably be on the streets of their ghettoes every other month striking and fighting against the police. In Singapore, our poor have jobs, own their own HDB apartments and receive lots of rebates for their utilities. Where else can you find such a compassionate government?

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
If our poor were living in Europe, they would probably be on the streets of their ghettoes every other month striking and fighting against the police. In Singapore, our poor have jobs, own their own HDB apartments and receive lots of rebates for their utilities. Where else can you find such a compassionate government?

Its also better to be a Ministar in Spore, paid millions.

PretenderSam

Alfrescian
Loyal

yes the old and poor are so well fed that they collect
card boards and used drink cans as a form of exercise.

you don't see this in western countries.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is the first time I heard housing inflation is a shared priviledge among all social strata.and if every household enjoys the same level of appreciation,the net result is the same,who gets to benefit?ur hdb increase by 30k,my hdb increase by 30k,everyone's hdb increase by 30k.....since the typical average 3 room,4 room or 5 room increase by roughly the same amount,who gets to benefit????only the PAP!!!!!LANJIAO KNNBCBB!!!!

and wait until ekonomic crisis or recession,alll our hdb flats will enjoy the same level of depreciation as well!!!!!

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
Its also better to be a Ministar in Spore, paid millions.

Better to be ministar in SG than in France, US and Denmark. Can get paid the highest salary simply by stating the obvious and making motherhood statements. :wink:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
he's correct. in the u.s. i'll be freezing in makeshift tents under the freeway but in sg i'll be warm and comfortable sleeping in hdb void decks. sg is definitely better for me if i'm dirt poor.

image.jpg

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
he's correct. in the u.s. i'll be freezing in makeshift tents under the freeway but in sg i'll be warm and comfortable sleeping in hdb void decks. sg is definitely better for me if i'm dirt poor.

View attachment 26844

i actually prefer the cold weather of aussie winter,its more fun......its not that bad if u are well prepared,a nice thick fleece jacket from one of the camping stores for 50 bucks will keep ur body cozy and warm all day even in the most freezing australian wind that feels like ice cold water piercing into you(that was before i discovered what a fleece jacket was) and one or two good blankets or a nice comforter,since it seldom rains in temperate countries u dont have to worry about getting wet in the middle of the night,and the rain is alot different from the rain in sg.the rain in australia is like a gentle rain/light drizzle that lasts for 15 minutes while in singapore when it rains its like im hunting gooks and charlies in the forest in vietnam in the heavy torrential rain.

and look at the picture,it shows what is amazing about temperate weather,the sun is out bright and shining while the temperature is a nice cool chilly 20 degrees celcius.....its like walking around in cool natural aircon while the sun warms up ur neck and ur skin.that is the best time i like to go to queen elizabeth's garden at the back of melbourne cbd and just chill and sit on the bench and watch the swans on the lakes,with a bacon and egg sandwich and just enjoy the feeling of being on earth in paradise.......nothing in singapore can even come close.

who says being poor in sg is better than in france,denmark and australia is purely hogwash.this fucking goondusamy black dog needs to go polish his shiny bald head with kiwi black polish somemore.

Last edited:

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i actually prefer the cold weather of aussie winter,its more fun......its not that bad if u are well prepared,a nice thick fleece jacket from one of the camping stores for 50 bucks will keep ur body cozy and warm all day even in the most freezing australian wind that feels like ice cold water piercing into you(that was before i discovered what a fleece jacket was) and one or two good blankets or a nice comforter,since it seldom rains in temperate countries u dont have to worry about getting wet in the middle of the night,and the rain is alot different from the rain in sg.the rain in australia is like a gentle rain/light drizzle that lasts for 15 minutes while in singapore when it rains its like im hunting gooks and charlies in the forest in vietnam in the heavy torrential rain.

and look at the picture,it shows what is amazing about temperate weather,the sun is out bright and shining while the temperature is a nice cool chilly 20 degrees celcius.....its like walking around in cool natural aircon while the sun warms up ur neck and ur skin.that is the best time i like to go to queen elizabeth's garden at the back of melbourne cbd and just chill and sit on the bench and watch the swans on the lakes,with a bacon and egg sandwich and just enjoy the feeling of being on earth in paradise.......nothing in singapore can even come close.

who says being poor in sg is better than in france,denmark and australia is purely hogwash.this fucking goondusamy black dog needs to go polish his shiny bald head with kiwi black polish somemore.

Hi frenchbriefs, when do you plan to go over to Australia, perhaps in the next 3 to 5 years?.
Which city you prefer?. Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane?........

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

View attachment 26844

I believed they have homes or shelters for the homeless in the us...though I understand, they go by a lottery system, or it's a first come first serve system.

Understand they also have food pantry to provide to poor families.......

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believed they have homes or shelters for the homeless in the us...though I understand, they go by a lottery system, or it's a first come first serve system.

Understand they also have food pantry to provide to poor families.......

shelters for the homeless in the u.s. are temporary. beds or matresses are limited. they have strict rules and regulations on behavior and barang to carry in. almost all homeless do not want to stay there unless its freezing cold outside and they need to take showers and camp for the night. but they have to abandon their possessions including drugs and booze and sometimes pets outside. homeless prefer complete freedom and zero supervision in order to get high on drugs and booze and hang around with familiar buddies. tents which provide privacy, shelter and warm have become the popular abode for these folks. they can also be dismantled and assembled quickly while on the move. traditional shelters and homes do not work and solve the issue. there are new programs being tried out where homeless cliques are given whole apartments free of rent and they can do whatever they wish with no rules, including catching up on drugs and booze. it's the latter that got them into trouble and homelessness in the first place.

that aside, what neh ministar is comparing to rings a bell. not the homeless, but those below the poverty line in sg are more fortunate. if they bought in a hdb hole at a time when sinkies were poor and look at their asset appreciation now, they would have increased their tiny investments tenfold. from pity to profit. nowhere in the first world except the bay area has seen asset appreciation so incredible with the trajectory from cheap affordable humble abodes to million dollar homes in less than one generation. home values alone lift tens of thousands out of poverty into the million dollar club. all old timer poor hdb residents have to do is make ends meet, pay their basic bills, wait out the time, and reap the rewards - thanks to the pap for doing all to spread the wealth by astute distributed housing and transportation planning. this is something the world can learn from sg: build affordable new towns away from job centers where poor, working and middle class can co-exist, build transport hubs with transit lines and freeway and road access to these hubs in these residential towns in order to link residents to jobs and other towns, create amenity hubs in these hubs of hubs to provide retail, groceries, sports and most important cheap clean makan, and connect all homes with excellent pedestrian walkways and bike paths in and around the entire island. as a poor in sg, i can enjoy all these public infrastructure almost all free and or on the cheap. more so with asset enhancement if i own a humble flat. even broadband is affordable for the poor so much so that many tpx can cum here to spew profanities and garbage. :biggrin:

and start boliao threads on an hourly basis talking same old boring shit hoping to garner masturbatory comments but because few responded start a few more again to regain attention. so many of those masturbation threads are on the same shit why don't they get merged anyway. machiam like one post for one thread, next post next thread. :biggrin:

Last edited:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
taxpayers paid million dollars salary to him to tell them there are many types of poor people in the world?

obviously ah meh are double headed snakes cannot be trusted.

Poor here and poor there are poor people. this ah neh cannot define 'poor' or there is such thing as poor poorer and poorest people?

Can we ask this cobra ah neh to explain rich people in Singapore are better than rich people in France, US and Denmark?

DPM Tharman: Singapore’s poor are better off than those in France, US and Denmark

By admin -

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Singapore, our poor have jobs, own their own HDB apartments and receive lots of rebates for their utilities. Where else can you find such a compassionate government?

Are you trying to make the government look bad? You forgot the annual gst vouchers ranging from $50-100.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
shelters for the homeless in the u.s. are temporary. beds or matresses are limited. they have strict rules and regulations on behavior and barang to carry in. almost all homeless do not want to stay there unless its freezing cold outside and they need to take showers and camp for the night. but they have to abandon their possessions including drugs and booze and sometimes pets outside. homeless prefer complete freedom and zero supervision in order to get high on drugs and booze and hang around with familiar buddies. tents which provide privacy, shelter and warm have become the popular abode for these folks. they can also be dismantled and assembled quickly while on the move. traditional shelters and homes do not work and solve the issue. there are new programs being tried out where homeless cliques are given whole apartments free of rent and they can do whatever they wish with no rules, including catching up on drugs and booze. it's the latter that got them into trouble and homelessness in the first place.

that aside, what neh ministar is comparing to rings a bell. not the homeless, but those below the poverty line in sg are more fortunate. if they bought in a hdb hole at a time when sinkies were poor and look at their asset appreciation now, they would have increased their tiny investments tenfold. from pity to profit. nowhere in the first world except the bay area has seen asset appreciation so incredible with the trajectory from cheap affordable humble abodes to million dollar homes in less than one generation. home values alone lift tens of thousands out of poverty into the million dollar club. all old timer poor hdb residents have to do is make ends meet, pay their basic bills, wait out the time, and reap the rewards - thanks to the pap for doing all to spread the wealth by astute distributed housing and transportation planning. this is something the world can learn from sg: build affordable new towns away from job centers where poor, working and middle class can co-exist, build transport hubs with transit lines and freeway and road access to these hubs in these residential towns in order to link residents to jobs and other towns, create amenity hubs in these hubs of hubs to provide retail, groceries, sports and most important cheap clean makan, and connect all homes with excellent pedestrian walkways and bike paths in and around the entire island. as a poor in sg, i can enjoy all these public infrastructure almost all free and or on the cheap. more so with asset enhancement if i own a humble flat. even broadband is affordable for the poor so much so that many tpx can cum here to spew profanities and garbage. :biggrin:

and start boliao threads on an hourly basis talking same old boring shit hoping to garner masturbatory comments but because few responded start a few more again to regain attention. so many of those masturbation threads are on the same shit why don't they get merged anyway. machiam like one post for one thread, next post next thread. :biggrin:

asset appreciation may have lifted tens of thousands out of poverty into the semi million and million dollar club,but the only way they can tap into that seeable but untouchable "wealth" is by selling their homes and becoming homeless and living at east coast parks in tents.another way is to sell their homes and move to a 3rd world country,but for some reason,sentimental sinkies are unwilling to leave this godforsaken island for one reason or another,no matter how hellish their lives seem.i envy the poor in france and USA.....at least they have the freedom to live wherever they choose to,be it a tent,or a trailer,or a rv vehicle,or a hand build log cabin in the woods,or a container home by the sea,or in a van with solar panels,the possibilities are endless.good luck doing that in singapore.whats the point of being "rich" on paper,if it doesnt put money in ur pocket or food on the table?in Rich Dad poor Dad robert kiyosaki standards,that is a liabilty not an asset.....assets are things that generate positive cashflow into ur pockets after expenses have been paid.....ur home is a liability,a mortgage that u have to pay for with interest,electric,gas,water,phone bills that u have to pay,occasional repair and maintenance bills,housing tax.all these things cost money.....and over a period of ten or twenty years,it cost ALOT of money,whereas living in a tent or van is almost free.and its a fool's thinking to assume that housing prices will appreciate forever,america's housing market after the 2008 financial crisis have stagnated and are still languishing and many parts of america have yet to recover to their pre 2007 prices.japan's real estate prices are still in the shitters after the real estate bubble burst more than 20 years ago,and japan is one of the most densely populated places on earth.