• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Tuition Teachers who earn more then $1 million per year making MOE look like fools

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Tuition Teachers who earn more then $1 million per year making MOE look like fool

If you need to ask this question you obviously haven't given a single hour of tuition in your life.

You can copy people's notes but can you get into a student's mind and way of thinking and explain it in a way he or she can understand?

Can your organize and structure information? Can you do so taking into account different syllabi across MOE, IB, IP curricula?

Can you effectively summarize key points and devise questions on the spot without referring to notes? Can you explain one entire chapter of material without looking at the book, from the ground up?

I don't see why hired school teachers can't.

From the articles posted, other than the one-man-shows, most of the successful tuition centres hire teachers to do all the things you wrote above.

I believe there are many disgruntled and envious teachers out there who want more money and yet work shorter hours. I have been in discussion with some friends for some time to set up a tuition centre. It's time I collected back some of the tuition money I have been shelling out for my kids' tuition.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Tuition Teachers who earn more then $1 million per year making MOE look like fool

You sure know your stuff Bro. Helpful guide to those who want to go down this path.

To earn big bucks as a tutor, these are the areas in which you must excel:

(1) managing students and parents expectations as well as motivation and encouragement of students. In other words, the soft skill of getting people to do what is required to achieve success

(2) ability to handle students of all abilities from very weak to very strong

(3) structure lessons, syllabi, concepts, etc, in a manner that will enable students to have a firm grasp of the fundamentals. As Scroobal said this means writing your own materials and explaining them in your own manner. Different tutors will have different approaches. What may work for one student may not necessarily work for another.

(4) After hours service - consultations, Q&A sessions, ad hoc assistance when assignments are due, on the fly questions, exam period intensification, etc.

Other important points to note:

(1) marketing strategy. word of mouth marketing is the best. But also must be complemented by mass marketing. How do you position yourself? Method of mass marketing is also important. Do you distribute flyers? Post advertisements at strategic locations? Get your name and photo on prominent publications? Get Popular bookstore to carry your billboard? Your marketing method will determine whether parents see you as cheapskate or as someone who is a professional.

(2) Always get student and parent testimonials and this is the most prominent part of your marketing beside your academic qualifications.

(3) Location location location. Can make or break any tuition center

(4) The best tutors are those who operate out of their own homes and so have no overheads and can focus on teaching.

(5) Parents always look at your academic qualifications and how many years of experience first. If you teach JC you must have first class honours

(6) An MOE tutor will always earn at least 1.5 times a non MOE tutor even if you have 15 yrs exp versus the MOE teacher's 1 yr exp

Last edited:

KNNBPCB

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I don't see why hired school teachers can't.

From the articles posted, other than the one-man-shows, most of the successful tuition centres hire teachers to do all the things you wrote above.

I believe there are many disgruntled and envious teachers out there who want more money and yet work shorter hours. I have been in discussion with some friends for some time to set up a tuition centre. It's time I collected back some of the tuition money I have been shelling out for my kids' tuition.

the best way to collect back the tuition money is to make your kids become tutors. :biggrin:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's a well known fact sinkie students are rote learners who are exam smart and study to ace exams. Even the tutors admit he spots exam questions for them.

Agree. Sadly, in real life, no tutors to spot the many problems one is expected to overcome.

2 decades ago, my buddy came back for his sabbatical, having taught for more than a decade in N America. He opined that if a known solution exists, NUS students will excel compared to most Ang mos. Once you need to think and explore, Ang mos are usually ahead.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

These tutors deserve every dollar they make. They have no medical benefits and no annual leave etc. They cannot depend on their 'mountains' for their career advancement. Even if they make double or triple what they now make, fully deserving.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

The best is not dealing with unreasonable parents who go lodge police report on silly things. Cannot forget the mother who thought dyslexia was forgetfulness.

Now that you've mentioned this. Overheard a conversation the other day during coffee, story goes like this:

On one fateful day, a mother's darling boy was up and about in the school. He accidentally tripped and fell onto the ground whilst running around or skipping around. Just about the usual stuffs that boys do to expand their energy, sometimes hoping to catch the attention of girls of sorts, you know?

Problem is, he broken his tooth in that episode. Lo and behold, you've got the mother storming the office the very next day, threatening to sue the school. Up in arms and even got the land surveyor to test the hardness of the ground. Yes, you've heard me right, I couldn't believe my ears when I hear someone trying to measure the hardness of the concrete floor to see if it's too hard.

Suing the school for having hard flooring? Yup, I almost couldn't contain my laughter and excused myself to some place private to laugh out loud. I should have stayed on to hear which school this boy is in. Judging by the tone of the nincompoop who wants to sue the school, should be some atas school.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am not surprised. I am sure one day a teacher or a principal will write a book about these sorts of parents and the nonsense they spout. I am told that asking the form or subject teacher to be replaced is a perennial favourite. The next is the parents of the chief troublemaker asking the school to move some students to another class to avoid being a bad influence to the son or daughter.

Now that you've mentioned this. Overheard a conversation the other day during coffee, story goes like this:

Suing the school for having hard flooring? Yup, I almost couldn't contain my laughter and excused myself to some place private to laugh out loud. I should have stayed on to hear which school this boy is in. Judging by the tone of the nincompoop who wants to sue the school, should be some atas school.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I am not surprised. I am sure one day a teacher or a principal will write a book about these sorts of parents and the nonsense they spout. I am told that asking the form or subject teacher to be replaced is a perennial favourite. The next is the parents of the chief troublemaker asking the school to move some students to another class to avoid being a bad influence to the son or daughter.

I was such a parent.

Last year, I learnt that my kid's form class teacher taught a graduating class and failed to produce a certain quota of distinctions for the national exams. Within a week, some parents and I, in our capacity of the school's parents' volunteer association, wrote in to pressure the principal to get the teacher transferred to a different class so that our kids can have the better teacher they deserve. We made enough noise and the school gave in.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

On one fateful day, a mother's darling boy was up and about in the school. He accidentally tripped and fell onto the ground whilst running around or skipping around. Just about the usual stuffs that boys do to expand their energy, sometimes hoping to catch the attention of girls of sorts, you know?

Problem is, he broken his tooth in that episode. Lo and behold, you've got the mother storming the office the very next day, threatening to sue the school. Up in arms and even got the land surveyor to test the hardness of the ground. Yes, you've heard me right, I couldn't believe my ears when I hear someone trying to measure the hardness of the concrete floor to see if it's too hard.

Sinkies have so much money they can engage in this kind of frivolous lawsuits? Not cheap to hire a lawyer that will sue the MOE for you. If I were the principal, that damn land surveyor is not setting foot in my school. I would also counter sue the kid's parents for damaging the school ground with his teeth.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

the floors of the school should be covered with a soft bouncy rubber material like the playgrounds to prevent children and retards from hurting themselves,sometimes i like to go for spin on the bouncy spring horse or jump up and down on the swing(im a twenties young energetic male) and i dont feel comfortable without the protection of the rubber floors.

mmngck

Alfrescian
Loyal

These tutors deserve every dollar they make. They have no medical benefits and no annual leave etc. They cannot depend on their 'mountains' for their career advancement. Even if they make double or triple what they now make, fully deserving.

yes, i do agree
if you guys really can teach so well, then go to be tutor. dont red eyes on others income

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I agree.

There has been recent developments in the West and even in Australia where Universities are offering A level courses. These are regulated by the Universities with academics rather than teachers running the course. The whole programme follows the Uni format and the usual school format, such as assemblies, uniforms, sports are done way with. Its up to the kids to behave himself. The focus is on academic subjects especially sciences and maths. This original purpose was for matriculation for foreign students but the demand was high from parents who have given up on the schools system and the teachers union especially those whose kids could not enter the better schools.

Well to do Singapore parents are now sending their kids after O levels to these schools overseas.

We should also do the same in Singapore. I have seen the results. I am sure the better teachers would welcome teaching at these places rather than hands all the unnecessary ECA crap. Either that or convert the whole A level system to focus on the subjects.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

where's tony the tutor and his stash of cash?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

To earn big bucks as a tutor, these are the areas in which you must excel:

(1) managing students and parents expectations as well as motivation and encouragement of students. In other words, the soft skill of getting people to do what is required to achieve success

(2) ability to handle students of all abilities from very weak to very strong

(3) structure lessons, syllabi, concepts, etc, in a manner that will enable students to have a firm grasp of the fundamentals. As Scroobal said this means writing your own materials and explaining them in your own manner. Different tutors will have different approaches. What may work for one student may not necessarily work for another.

(4) After hours service - consultations, Q&A sessions, ad hoc assistance when assignments are due, on the fly questions, exam period intensification, etc.

Other important points to note:

(1) marketing strategy. word of mouth marketing is the best. But also must be complemented by mass marketing. How do you position yourself? Method of mass marketing is also important. Do you distribute flyers? Post advertisements at strategic locations? Get your name and photo on prominent publications? Get Popular bookstore to carry your billboard? Your marketing method will determine whether parents see you as cheapskate or as someone who is a professional.

(2) Always get student and parent testimonials and this is the most prominent part of your marketing beside your academic qualifications.

(3) Location location location. Can make or break any tuition center

(4) The best tutors are those who operate out of their own homes and so have no overheads and can focus on teaching.

(5) Parents always look at your academic qualifications and how many years of experience first. If you teach JC you must have first class honours

(6) An MOE tutor will always earn at least 1.5 times a non MOE tutor even if you have 15 yrs exp versus the MOE teacher's 1 yr exp

Im glad u laid out the blueprints for running a successful tuition center business,tuition is a billion dollar industry in sg,I hope to conquer it one day.all that matters is location,advertising,marketing,testimonials and hype.and a bunch of half decent teachers that can make lesson plans and half decent communicators and can talk for an hour with powerpoint slides.I think ill hire high caste indians,they tend to speak beautiful fluent english with a proper british accent and are good communicators compared to the typical sinkie.which is why shitskin makes good ceos and dominate the asian bankers conferences.their speech giving abilities are bar none.of course some sinkies might have trouble understanding proper british english,in which case thet should not be in my tuition center at all.these nitwits should go to the phua chu kang tuition center next door which apparently is owned by me as well.

Last edited:

spinn

Alfrescian
Loyal

it symbolizes epic failure of the education system & policies. tuition is nothing more that glorified spoon feeding. good students dun nid tuition. poor students have difficulty under standing concepts & no amount of explanation can make them understand. the sure fire way is spotting exam questions & preparing model answers. dat is wat tuition is about.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

it symbolizes epic failure of the education system & policies.

Agree and disagree.

There are credits where it should be given: the rigor our education system presents helped to foster great administrators. Over the decades, the policies dished out previously were well suited to our growing needs as a young nation.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have some nincompoops chasing KPIs and other band wagons. What to do?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I am excited! My business partner and I are going to launch our tuition centre business next year. We have years of experience of delivering A-stars and As for your children's exams!

It's a billion-dollar industry and there's few entry barriers. It would be easier to run than our previous coffee shop venture.

spinn

Alfrescian
Loyal

lol. sure or not? scholars who are fast tracked are the worst kind of administrators, especially those who have imbibed a system of rote learning & spoon feeding. why? cos these people cunt see or think beyond the straight & narrow. there are tons of examples. take the tray return system. it failed miserable and dat guy had the temerity to blame the people's "bad up bringing". the backlash was immediate and equally measured - people with good up bringing dun blame others for their own bad mistakes. roflmao

good administrators, like every other profession, comes with years of experience.

kpi? no kidding ah? it is nothing more than another glorified term for their amazing greed. lol. the twin core values of the pappies are epitomized by these two quotable quotes:
"what's wrong with collecting more moolah" & "we know what's best for you"

enuf said

Agree and disagree.

There are credits where it should be given: the rigor our education system presents helped to foster great administrators. Over the decades, the policies dished out previously were well suited to our growing needs as a young nation.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have some nincompoops chasing KPIs and other band wagons. What to do?