• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

India bank says third of ATMs don't work

Balrog

Alfrescian
Loyal

Out of order: India bank says third of ATMs don't work

AFP on May 24, 2016, 9:57 pm

57444603dbce9_0ab835a8b43cfe766a7929523512024aba92e7aa-1bk8hg3.jpg

Mumbai (AFP) - A third of India's cash machines don't work, the central bank said, posing a challenge for the government as it strives to provide banking services to millions of poor citizens living in rural areas.

The Reserve Bank of India surveyed almost 4,000 ATMs across the country with a "sample size fairly representing geographies and bank categories", according to Deputy Governor S.S Mundra.

"Survey results are not comforting in any way. Almost one third of the ATMs were found to be not working at that point," he said in a speech in Mumbai late Monday.

Many ATMS did not make provisions for disabled citizens, the deputy governor added.

"Violation of regulatory instructions on display material, facilities for differently abled etc. were also observed. We will be taking necessary supervisory action in this regard," Mundra said.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has made bringing millions of Indians into the financial system a priority since he was elected two years ago and wants every citizen to have a bank account.

The World Bank estimates that about 53 percent of Indian adults now have access to a formal bank account.

Functioning ATMs are seen as vital to driving financial inclusion, particularly in remote areas where banks may not open branches.

In his annual budget speech in February India's finance minister, Arun Jaitley, announced a "massive nationwide rollout" of ATMs over the next three years.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.....the bank's announcement in India earlier last week that it is setting up a technology hub in Hyderabad
, which will be its biggest outside of Singapore
, with plans to recruit 1,500 people for the facility over the next two years.
DBS said .... its Hyderabad hub will boost the bank's technological capabilities across Asia as well as its digital banking strategy.
DBS chief executive Piyush Gupta said last month that the bank will slowly take capabilities it builds in India and add them to its Singapore operations
http://www.straitstimes.com/busines...s-not-relocating-jobs-from-spore-to-india-hub
They can't even maintain their ATM machines and yet we want to relocate there and employ them?
Will DBS be the first Singapore Bank to use indigenous Indian ATM machines run on Indian technology ? eg Phoenix Microsystems Pune, Maharashtra,Nash Industries (I) Pvt. Ltd., Chennai ?

I don't know about others, but I will be closing my POSB account soon.

Who knows what else will follow -credit card centre, loan processing ,trade finance ,Foreign exchange, whatever can be outsourced to India?
Do the govt close so many local banks only to do this-expand in India?. Even Dhana did not take this route.

Name me one technological contribution from India being used by global companies now and I may change my mind.

What's next-Singapore companies to manufacture food/infant formula in China or training anti corruption officers/policemen in Pinoyland?

Last edited: