• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Canada are world hockey champs - again!!!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
People the world over view things differently, depending on their cultures, history, geography. In Canada, the only thing that matters is - hockey, or ice-hockey if you prefer. Everything else is unimportant. If the home team wins a game, its a great day, if it loses, that day sucks! Well, yesterday was a great day for the Canucks! Canada is hockey world champ! Again. Beating Finland in the finals! The team was congratulated by none other than Ruskie bigwig, Mr. Putin! Wow! Beer sales is going to be high the next few days! I was raised on soccer and have a hard time comprehending ice-hockey, looks like a rather violent game. but as one neighbour was telling me, fighting just adds another dimension to the game, so its fair as both sides allowed to punch each other during the game!

Cheers!

https://www.rt.com/sport/344031-canada-ice-hockey-world-champions/

Canada becomes 2016 Ice Hockey World Champions, defeating Finland 2-0 in Moscow final

Published time: 22 May, 2016 20:00Edited time: 22 May, 2016 23:01

Canada becomes ice hockey’s world champions for the 26th time in its history, the second best record in the history of the Ice Hockey World Championships.
The first spot is still held by Russia, with 27 victories, if combined with the results of the Soviet national team.
Connor McDavid, the number one pick in the 2015 NHL Draft, had zero tournament goals going into the final game.
However, his only goal in the championship became the most important for his team.
With a 1-0 lead after the game opener in the middle of the first period, Canada was able to carry the advantage all the way to the end of the game.
Finland was forced to pull their goalie at the end of the third period, looking to capitalize on a one man advantage to score a goal, but Matt Duchene dashed those hopes, scoring on the empty net in the last seconds of the game.
Canadian players began celebrating immediately after the goal, even though there was still one second left in the third period.
He arrived at the sports venue during the third period to watch the final stages of the game.
“I thank Canada for giving the world this brilliant, extraordinary sport. I also thank Finland’s team for their beautiful, talented play,” President Putin said at the awards ceremony.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Ice Hockey is like Cricket. Only a handful of countries play the sport so being "world" champ means you've beaten a few other countries which have shitty weather just like yours.

Rugby is only slightly better.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
These "handful" of countries are major countries on this planet and includes USA, Russia, China, Germany, Sweden. And does not include inconspicuous ones like Peesai, Sri Lanka, Philippines, Somalia. I agree with the "shitty" weather. But that's where ice hockey is played.

Cheers!

Ice Hockey is like Cricket. Only a handful of countries play the sport so being "world" champ means you've beaten a few other countries which have shitty weather just like yours.

Rugby is only slightly better.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As a samurai from Utopia, a member of the ruling elite no less, I look at such follies with contempt:

I reflected. “What else may not the samurai do?”

“Acting, singing, or reciting are forbidden them, though they may lecture authoritatively or debate. But professional mimicry is not only held to be undignified in a man or woman, but to weaken and corrupt the soul; the mind becomes foolishly dependent on applause, over-skilful in producing tawdry and momentary illusions of excellence; it is our experience that actors and actresses as a class are loud, ignoble, and insincere. If they have not such flamboyant qualities then they are tepid and ineffectual players. Nor may the samurai do personal services, except in the matter of medicine or surgery; they may not be barbers, for example, nor inn waiters, nor boot cleaners. But, nowadays, we have scarcely any barbers or boot cleaners; men do these things for themselves. Nor may a man under the Rule be any man’s servant, pledged to do whatever he is told. He may neither be a servant nor keep one; he must shave and dress and serve himself, carry his own food from the helper’s place to the table, redd his sleeping room, and leave it clean....”

“That is all easy enough in a world as ordered as yours. I suppose no samurai may bet?”

“Absolutely not. He may insure his life and his old age for the better equipment of his children, or for certain other specified ends, but that is all his dealings with chance. And he is also forbidden to play games in public or to watch them being played. Certain dangerous and hardy sports and exercises are prescribed for him, but not competitive sports between man and man or side and side. That lesson was learnt long ago before the coming of the samurai. Gentlemen of honour, according to the old standards, rode horses, raced chariots, fought, and played competitive games of skill, and the dull, cowardly and base came in thousands to admire, and howl, and bet. The gentlemen of honour degenerated fast enough into a sort of athletic prostitute, with all the defects, all the vanity, trickery, and self-assertion of the common actor, and with even less intelligence. Our Founders made no peace with this organisation of public sports. They did not spend their lives to secure for all men and women on the earth freedom, health, and leisure, in order that they might waste lives in such folly.

“We have those abuses,” I said, “but some of our earthly games have a fine side. There is a game called cricket. It is a fine, generous game.”

“Our boys play that, and men too. But it is thought rather puerile to give very much time to it; men should have graver interests. It was undignified and unpleasant for the samurai to play conspicuously ill, and impossible for them to play so constantly as to keep hand and eye in training against the man who was fool enough and cheap enough to become an expert. Cricket, tennis, fives, billiards——. You will find clubs and a class of men to play all these things in Utopia, but not the samurai. And they must play their games as games, not as displays; the price of a privacy for playing cricket, so that they could charge for admission, would be overwhelmingly high.... Negroes are often very clever at cricket. For a time, most of the samurai had their sword-play, but few do those exercises now, and until about fifty years ago they went out for military training, a fortnight in every year, marching long distances, sleeping in the open, carrying provisions, and sham fighting over unfamiliar ground dotted with disappearing targets. There was a curious inability in our world to realise that war was really over for good and all.”

“And now,” I said, “haven’t we got very nearly to the end of your prohibitions? You have forbidden alcohol, drugs, smoking, betting, and usury, games, trade, servants. But isn’t there a vow of Chastity?”

https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hgwells/1905/modern-utopia/ch09.htm

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
People the world over view things differently, depending on their cultures, history, geography. In Canada, the only thing that matters is - hockey, or ice-hockey if you prefer. Everything else is unimportant. If the home team wins a game, its a great day, if it loses, that day sucks! Well, yesterday was a great day for the Canucks! Canada is hockey world champ! Again. Beating Finland in the finals! The team was congratulated by none other than Ruskie bigwig, Mr. Putin! Wow! Beer sales is going to be high the next few days! I was raised on soccer and have a hard time comprehending ice-hockey, looks like a rather violent game. but as one neighbour was telling me, fighting just adds another dimension to the game, so its fair as both sides allowed to punch each other during the game!

Cheers!

https://www.rt.com/sport/344031-canada-ice-hockey-world-champions/

Canada becomes 2016 Ice Hockey World Champions, defeating Finland 2-0 in Moscow final

i don't know what is the big deal about ice hockey. Who the hell cares. In terms of sports popularity world wide, ice hockey is way down there. i am pretty sure more fans follow women's NBA or beach volleyball then hockey. I think field hockey is more popular being played in populous countries like India and Pakistan. U have to spend hundreds of dollars in gear before you even can get in the game. I think canadians should devote their time to being a world power in football or basketball, the two most popular sports on the planet.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ice Hockey to Canadians is similar to what soccer is to Brazilians - they are nuts over the game. Parents encourage their young sons (and some daughters) to get involved in the game. There are leaques for all classes of players, many 9-5 office workers go to play ins leagues matches before heading home, and when a major game is on, people stay glued to their television sets to watch. (Getting tickets to a live NHL game is prestigious, and usually reserved for privilieged corporate personnel). Other North Amercian games like basketball, baseball, and even football are followed but not as ferverishly as ice hockey. Die-hards do not shave when the Stanley Cup finals are on, and remain unshaven through the games. Canada should devote more attention to her economy, (and military) but the fact is this - they love hockey more, and in this consider the USA their greatest rival! There are people there who would not drink the brand of a beer if it does not sponsor hockey teams!!! Yes, and there is money in the game. Just like many people the rest of the world hope their sons become professional soccer players, Canadians become proud if their son(s) or nephews become a pro-hockey player! I don't blame you if you do not understand the game, we didn't grow up with the game and hence we do not connect with it. It is different for those who grew up where hitting the puck is the greatest feeling on Earth! To these people, the national anthem of Canada is "Shoot the puck! Shoot the puck!"

Cheers!

i don't know what is the big deal about ice hockey. Who the hell cares. In terms of sports popularity world wide, ice hockey is way down there. i am pretty sure more fans follow women's NBA or beach volleyball then hockey. I think field hockey is more popular being played in populous countries like India and Pakistan. U have to spend hundreds of dollars in gear before you even can get in the game. I think canadians should devote their time to being a world power in football or basketball, the two most popular sports on the planet.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ice hockey is like the huge national sport in Canada, having lived there before I know how hockey crazy they are.

Back in the early 90s, I spent about 2 years in Canada including a year in Saskatchewan where ice hockey is a huge sport. My schoolmates were ice hockey players and got me watching ice hockey games with them, I still have hundreds of NHL player cards in my storeroom given to me by a schoolmate.

My favorite NHL team during that time was the Hartford Whalers, because I really like their logo. But I stopped watching ice hockey after leaving Canada.

P200701S.jpg

57-t550429-340.jpg

6a01127953797128a40115707e709e970b-600wi

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having grown up in Singapore, soccer was the game I played (in primary and lower secondary) and watched. I was surprised in Canada, nobody gave a shit about soccer. Even my Italian neighbour watched and followed ice-hockey. The only soccer kaki I had was an elderly Croatian man! And he was too old to drink beer! So I watched hockey instead, like everybody else. The biggest joke was the home team - The Toronto Maple Leafs. The last time they won a major trophy must have been prewar period, nobody remembers them winning anything!!! But they had the largest fan base and supporters in all Canada.

Cheers!

Ice hockey is like the huge national sport in Canada, having lived there before I know how hockey crazy they are....................

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Ice Hockey to Canadians is similar to what soccer is to Brazilians - they are nuts over the game. Parents encourage their young sons (and some daughters) to get involved in the game. There are leaques for all classes of players, many 9-5 office workers go to play ins leagues matches before heading home, and when a major game is on, people stay glued to their television sets to watch. (Getting tickets to a live NHL game is prestigious, and usually reserved for privilieged corporate personnel). Other North Amercian games like basketball, baseball, and even football are followed but not as ferverishly as ice hockey. Die-hards do not shave when the Stanley Cup finals are on, and remain unshaven through the games. Canada should devote more attention to her economy, (and military) but the fact is this - they love hockey more, and in this consider the USA their greatest rival! There are people there who would not drink the brand of a beer if it does not sponsor hockey teams!!! Yes, and there is money in the game. Just like many people the rest of the world hope their sons become professional soccer players, Canadians become proud if their son(s) or nephews become a pro-hockey player! I don't blame you if you do not understand the game, we didn't grow up with the game and hence we do not connect with it. It is different for those who grew up where hitting the puck is the greatest feeling on Earth! To these people, the national anthem of Canada is "Shoot the puck! Shoot the puck!"

Cheers!

It still does not explain why an entire nation would be nuts over a game that is probably not even ranked in the top 20 worldwide popularity. Perhaps canadians should get with the times and be nuts about a sports like football which the rest of the world is.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
These "handful" of countries are major countries on this planet and includes USA, Russia, China, Germany, Sweden. And does not include inconspicuous ones like Peesai, Sri Lanka, Philippines, Somalia. I agree with the "shitty" weather. But that's where ice hockey is played.

Cheers!

Ice hockey is played in spore too. My former Canadian tenant used to play ice hockey in jurong entertainment complex, now jCube. He has all the gear that took up alot of space.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Having grown up in Singapore, soccer was the game I played (in primary and lower secondary) and watched. I was surprised in Canada, nobody gave a shit about soccer. Even my Italian neighbour watched and followed ice-hockey. The only soccer kaki I had was an elderly Croatian man! And he was too old to drink beer! So I watched hockey instead, like everybody else. The biggest joke was the home team - The Toronto Maple Leafs. The last time they won a major trophy must have been prewar period, nobody remembers them winning anything!!! But they had the largest fan base and supporters in all Canada.

Cheers!

I don't understand what you are saying. I am going to guess that you don't play ice hockey. Maybe you don't even skate. And u probably don't own the equipment. In that case, how can you view and support a sport that you have never been an active participant of? Its different if you played football at a young age or even at school level. when you watch a football match, you appreciate and understand the nuances of the game and what skills are required to make that shot, or pass that ball, because you have played it before. I would postulate that its impossible for you to know the skill level and appreciate the intricacies of a hockey game if you have not been active in it. hence supporting a game that you know nothing about is nonsensical.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I don't understand what you are saying. I am going to guess that you don't play ice hockey. Maybe you don't even skate. And u probably don't own the equipment. In that case, how can you view and support a sport that you have never been an active participant of? Its different if you played football at a young age or even at school level. when you watch a football match, you appreciate and understand the nuances of the game and what skills are required to make that shot, or pass that ball, because you have played it before. I would postulate that its impossible for you to know the skill level and appreciate the intricacies of a hockey game if you have not been active in it. hence supporting a game that you know nothing about is nonsensical.

Supporting a team which you have absolutely no association with whatsoever is even dumber still.

EG there a shitloads of sinkie Man U team supporters. They were not born in Manchester, they have never been to Manchester, they don't have relatives that live in Manchester, they don't speak like they do in Manchester and they sure as hell don't have anyone in Manchester who gives a shit about them.

So why are they diehard "supporters" of Man U? Because they're retarded that's why.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
What Agora is saying is do what the Romans do when in Rome. He was residing in Canada and Ice Hockey is the national passion. It will be in the news, the kids come back from school and talk about it etc. I think he did the right thing in adapting. After all it involves a sport of some kind, its competitive and its helps you meet people and have a common subject to talk about.

I have no doubt that he would slowly but surely pick up the intricacies of skills required not as a participant but as a fan and maybe an astute one one at that.

It would be pointless if he pursues soccer in Canada which is couple of steps down the ladder.

The worst thing thing one can do is not learning to adapt, holed about in the house and living on past memories. I am also sure that Ice Hockey is not his major or even his minor preoccupation, its just a one of many things that you weave into your life.

What we probably can't stand is people who go to a country for 2 weeks, suddenly become a fan of the Dodgers, speak with half baked new found accent, leave their watch stuck in that time zone and will spend the next few weeks telling everyone why the Dodgers will win the World Cup. If you tell that Papa Rich chain has just opened up in NY, not only will I buy coffee for you but sit down and find what dishes you tried and how good they are.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I have no doubt that he would slowly but surely pick up the intricacies of skills required not as a participant but as a fan and maybe an astute one one at that.

I have to disagree with that and the prime example is cycle (road) racing.

Unless you have ridden competitively in a bike race, faced cross winds, head winds, tail winds, 20% gradients and screaming descents, drafted behind 20 or more riders, formed echelons, ridden on rough cobbles, tried to go on a solo attack, ridden in breakaways etc you will NOT be able to appreciate what is going on in a bike race no matter how long you have watched bike racing.

Watch a stage of the tour de france as a layman and it will be like watching paint dry. It's bloody boring. It's like watching a chess game without knowing the rules of chess.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
When it comes to cycling and even cricket I agree. Both are long drawn games. Test cricket is 4 to 5 days. Both are not easy on the eye. For cycling, the ordinary person you will have no appreciation of gradient, gear, and why they attack at the particular point and why the time trial king seem to struggle in mountains. While cricket the ball is too small on TV. They all seem to be standing.

In the case of cricket, Media tycoon Kerry Packer, revolutionised the game when his TV station put numerous cameras, at every conceivable angle and showed in slow motion the ball turning, the ball spinning, the bowler throwing the Chinaman, the batman's doing an exquisite cover drive etc. The fans rushed in.

In cycling, it was the drive for individual fitness that helped TDF regain lost ground. When people realised that road racing can make your healthy, gives you the adrenalin rush and it was no longer the boring session in the gym or pounding your knees to powder, it took on. They look at the likes of TDF not for races, but for the brand and type of bikes, gear that will give the extra edge. Some then moved on to appreciating the races on its own.

To be honest, I rather ride the bike then watch TDF full coverage. Going for some of the some of the iconic rides is great.

Unless you have ridden competitively in a bike race, faced cross winds, head winds, tail winds, 20% gradients and screaming descents, drafted behind 20 or more riders, formed echelons, ridden on rough cobbles, tried to go on a solo attack, ridden in breakaways etc you will NOT be able to appreciate what is going on in a bike race no matter how long you have watched bike racing.

Watch a stage of the tour de france as a layman and it will be like watching paint dry. It's bloody boring. It's like watching a chess game without knowing the rules of chess.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

For once i agree 100% with you Sam. I must be losing my mind.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
canadian kids except chinks who just emigrated to canada learn to skate before they run and practise ice hockey before they play doctor and nurse. they grow up with it. so i sympathize when my canadian colleagues talk nothing but ice hockey in the office. oh yeah, the russians too, but they mixed it with booze, especially vodka.

my passion is archery on horseback with stirrups.