• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Cost of Sinkie Degrees To Go Up! Will Cost 70% of Annual Salary By 2030!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The cost of a university degree in Singapore is set to rise, according to a new study by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).

Released yesterday, the study projected that a four-year degree will cost 70.2 per cent of an individual's average yearly income in 2030, up from 53.1 per cent last year.

st_20160523_amcost23_2311163.jpg

Since 2010, tuition fees at local universities have gone up every year for most undergraduate courses, mainly due to rising operating costs.

For instance, a local undergraduate entering the National University of Singapore's (NUS) faculty of arts and social sciences this academic year would pay $8,050 annually, up from $7,950 last year.

Another projection showed that Singapore's education spending will dip from 3.4 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) last year to 2.7 per cent in 2030, largely due to falling birth cohort sizes and a growing population aged over 60 years.

The study, known as the Yidan Prize Forecast, Education to 2030, was released yesterday at a press conference held at the Kowloon Shangri-La in Hong Kong.

EDUCATION PRIZE LAUNCHED

The prize recognises and supports agents of change whose work transforms education in a sustainable way, and encourages innovative approaches to education research and development.

MR CHARLES CHEN YIDAN, Chinese Internet philanthropist and founder of Yidan Prize Foundation, on the launch of the Yidan Prize.
It was commissioned by the Yidan Prize Foundation, a global education foundation based in Hong Kong and named after its founder Charles Chen Yidan, a Chinese Internet philanthropist.

The EIU study, conducted from January to March, looked at future trends in education across 25 economies including Hong Kong, the United States, Germany and Japan.

It focused on five indicators: public expenditure on education, youth unemployment, affordability of education, number of graduates in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (Stem) fields and the access to Internet in schools.

Historical data was collected from sources such as the Unesco Institute for Statistics, the World Economic Forum, EIU income data, as well as university rankings.

For each of the five metrics, the EIU derived results based on econometric models that would forecast how these trends would continue in the next 14 to 15 years.

For instance, the affordability of a university degree was based on factors such as inflation rates, analyst feedback and research.

According to projections, Singapore's proportion of Stem graduates in its labour force will grow slightly to 0.4 per cent in 2030, from 0.3 per cent last year.

Mr Chris Clague, editor of the EIU report, said this forecast could be worrying, depending on Singapore's priorities and if its job market will need Stem skills, as this might mean a skills mismatch.

The report also cited a separate 2015 study by the US National Science Foundation which noted that Stem knowledge and skills are used in more occupations than traditionally thought, including finance, and sales and marketing.

Such a trend is likely to intensify in the next 15 years and beyond as technology becomes more central to different jobs, it said.

Meanwhile, Singapore's youth unemployment rate is projected to remain low - from 10.9 per cent last year to 10.8 per cent in 2030.

The Republic is also among the top performers for having Internet access in schools in 2015, coming in joint second with Finland with a 6.4 on a scale of one to seven, with the latter being the best. This improves to 6.5 in 2030, although Hong Kong, Finland and Norway are expected to surpass that level by then.

Yesterday's event also saw the launch of the Yidan Prize - the largest education prize of its kind in terms of monetary value.

There will be two awards each year - one recognising education research and the other initiatives that promote development in education. Each winner will receive a cash prize of HK$15 million (S$2.7 million) and a fund of HK$15 million based on the principle of impact investment, to be distributed in three instalments over three years to fund research or projects.

Nominations for the prize will open next month. Individuals such as teachers, academics and policymakers, among others, from around the world, including Singapore, can apply. The first winners will be announced in September next year.

Speaking at the press conference yesterday, Mr Chen, who funded the prize, said education is close to his heart as he sees the potential of university education in helping people discover themselves.

"The prize recognises and supports agents of change whose work transforms education in a sustainable way, and encourages innovative approaches to education research and development," he said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ree-in-singapore-set-to-become-costlier-study

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is in line with the policy of discouraging sinkiee to pursue tertiary education. Sinkees need to accept their role in our society - that is to serve the foreigners. Foreigners will be imported in greater masses, so there is no need for many tertiary educated sinkees.

Trust the PAP. You trusted them to elected them back to government in 2015 and in every by-election since then, sinkees have spurned the opposition. Keep it up and you will save lots of money from not having to pursue tertiary education. There are lots of jobs as bus captain, security guards and hawkers.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
But for some lucky foreigners, is a bonus as all school fees paid i.e. zero cost, PLUS pocket money to spent.

Sinkies get the government they voted for.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But for some lucky foreigners, is a bonus as all school fees paid i.e. zero cost, PLUS pocket money to spent.

Sinkies get the government they voted for.

To the tune of $1 million per foreigner. You will never discover that truth becoz the government converts these foreigners into naturalized sinkees. The government will never reveal the actual number of naturalized sinkees.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe in the old days a Sporean could make a decent living but it is getting harder nowadays because you have to compete with foreigners with fake degrees, degrees from the 3rd world, those willing to accept lower pay, without NS liabilities,.... The CPF has also turned the CPF into a tax.

I predict a bleak future for male Sporeans. I would recommend anyone considering a degree to seriously consider getting a foreign education as a step to emigrating.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
a lot cheaper to buy degree from U of Mumbai or South Pacific University (whever situated....) - a f trash by the name of Nishi Pundek got employed in good paying IDA job with those degrees!!!!!!!!!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Be grateful that PAP has kept the cost of a good quality university degree under control. Look at the United States. The cost of a a degree is more than double the annual salary of a typical fresh grad.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a lot cheaper to buy degree from U of Mumbai or South Pacific University (whever situated....) - a f trash by the name of Nishi Pundek got employed in good paying IDA job with those degrees!!!!!!!!!

i wish i can be a foreigner,is there anyway i can change nationality and then boast to my relatives after securing a high paying job in the civil service with my fake degrees?

i realise now that sinkies are born to be screwed,instead of complaining and lamenting on the side,we should join the fts in screwing sinkies.im going to buy shares of glcs and sg reits that actively screw sinkies and are highly profitable,another goal in life is to own a hdb and sublet out to prcs and pinoys,im going to open up a company one day or a conglomerate,ill offer many offers and discounts to foreigners while to local sinkies i will charge them many extras and add ons and hidden fees,i want to bid for and privatise many hdb carpparks and multistorey carpparks and then raise the parking fees,then to show my solidarity with sinkies I will buy many kopitiams and hire sinkies as cleaners while I drive by everday in my rolls royce with lky's face on it.

Last edited:

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

true... NUS,NTU and what have U r operating in the good old days when pager was the only thing that communicate people over distance. they will soon become irrelevant when Nishi Univeristy of Sindar offer oversea courses locally at less then a fraction and even throw in a photoshoot with president mouldy if you pay US$100 more. Stay away from Spybot Cunters and Malwarebytes, full of trash.

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The cost of a university degree in Singapore is set to rise, according to a new study by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) ...
if u haf world crass, world bestest, world lumpar 1 university in sinkielan, u haf 2 pay world crass, world bestest, world lumpar 1 fees ...

watz wif tis small amount wen sinkies dun mind paying millions 2 a bunch of idiots whose leader skive 2 write his own toy program n q 4 chicken wings? ...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Be grateful that PAP has kept the cost of a good quality university degree under control. Look at the United States. The cost of a a degree is more than double the annual salary of a typical fresh grad.

Why not look at Canada or Germany. Education in these countries are much more affordable than even Spore.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why not look at Canada or Germany. Education in these countries are much more affordable than even Spore.

Too far too much diff. Look at brunei better. State sponsored for basic u n higher. No need fork out single cent

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Too far too much diff. Look at brunei better. State sponsored for basic u n higher. No need fork out single cent

Sometimes you need to spend $. Call it investing in your future & I mean far future.
If you do your degree in Canada there is a better chance of working & eventually settling there. Little chance of that in Brunei.

I recommend checking out the University of Alberta. It is a provincial university & even the Spore gov't sends people there.
I met a Hongkie who did pretty well & got a scholarship to study in Stanford. So a Canadian degree may open other doors.

Avoid the Unis in Ontario unless you have $$$

Knew someone who got his degree in Germany. He didn't have $ so he chose Germany. Eventually he returned to Spore to work at one of the banks until he decided to emigrate to Canada. However if you study in Germany you have to be able to speak German & now with the emigration crisis in Europe & the recessions who knows what the situation is like there?