• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Staycation Phenomenon in Singapore

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always wondered how big this is in Singapore as have seen many online discussions as well people blogging about it in Singapore. I am not talking about taking a room to watch the F1 race or to have a wild party or as a place of assignation.

I also note that the focus is on room decor and the hotel facilities.

Why not get a chalet at St John's Island and walk the island both in the day and at night. What about heading to Malaysia and staying in a chalet at Taman Negara or a hotel at Batu Feringgi.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always wondered how big this is in Singapore as have seen many online discussions as well people blogging about it in Singapore. I am not talking about taking a room to watch the F1 race or to have a wild party or as a place of assignation.

Why not get a chalet at St John's Island and walk the island both in the day and at night. What about heading to Malaysia and staying in a chalet at Taman Negara or a hotel at Batu Feringgi.

Or a weekend getaway in bintan, whether at club med, or one of the resorts would be a nice break too.

The last trip to bintan was ages ago.....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am actually planning an "intervention" for a political identity who has his wires crossed at St John's. May need some help. Need people to dress up as Mandela, Gandhi etc to create the right atmosphere.

Im up for it Scrooby…but only if you'll accompany me for long, moonlight walks on the beach. :p

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This region is blessed with so many tropical islands that it is a real waste if we don't take advantage of it. Every time I head to any of these islands, I will ask the boatman if he can recommend a household to cook the daily catch. In those days, you just pay $10 and a feast will be served with the catch that you provide. Nothing like locally cooked seafood feast after a day of fishing and swimming in the surf.

Or a weekend getaway in bintan, whether at club med, or one of the resorts would be a nice break too.

The last trip to bintan was ages ago.....

xantheka

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am actually planning an "intervention" for a political identity who has his wires crossed at St John's. May need some help. Need people to dress up as Mandela, Gandhi etc to create the right atmosphere.

For Gandhi Jah would be the ideal candidate.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Staycations, they are for people who are time constrained and too poor to afford a real vacation. It is a delightful thought as I don my ski gear at the Alps.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
This region is blessed with so many tropical islands that it is a real waste if we don't take advantage of it. Every time I head to any of these islands, I will ask the boatman if he can recommend a household to cook the daily catch. In those days, you just pay $10 and a feast will be served with the catch that you provide. Nothing like locally cooked seafood feast after a day of fishing and swimming in the surf.
Totally agree and this is what I've missed the most since moving to the land of the free.

I heard there are some uninhabited islands off Vietnam that are literally paradise on earth. And you need only to pay something like $5 to get a local to cook your catch for you.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you don't even have to tell them anything, just hand over the day's catch. At dinner, you will see various dishes, some steamed, some friend and all the ingredients will be provided by them.

No need to even pay much moolah. I once went to Mersing and stayed at the former Govt Rest House, something which can be found in nearly all Malaysian towns and run by Hainanese. The cooks do a marvellous job and everything from fish to vegetables are so fresh. It was standard that they set when serving senior govt servants travelling outstation. Early morning it was a sight to behold as the fishing fleet went out to sea.

Totally agree and this is what I've missed the most since moving to the land of the free.

I heard there are some uninhabited islands off Vietnam that are literally paradise on earth. And you need only to pay something like $5 to get a local to cook your catch for you.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think they are poor as they are meticulous about decor and standard. You should read some of the blog entries. I rather go to Pontian and wallop all the local hawker fare to tickle my tastebuds.

Staycations, they are for people who are time constrained and too poor to afford a real vacation. It is a delightful thought as I don my ski gear at the Alps.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

This reminds me that a simple and quick getaway to either Malaysia or Bintan is overdue. Eating what we catch from the sea or lake, relaxed pace and stress-free atmosphere. The chalets at Taman Negara were great, and fishing for Toman was most enjoyable.

As for those local hotel staycationers, I only have this explanation (hopefully I don't come across as being snobbish and judgemental). Most of these people are HDB dwellers who do not have easy access to a clubhouse, swimming pool, gym, billiard room, etc. Common amenities in condos and private apartments. Hence, a hotel stay with these facilities is deemed as a treat.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Bro, that makes absolute sense. You solved a long standing puzzle for me.
As for those local hotel staycationers, I only have this explanation (hopefully I don't come across as being snobbish and judgemental). Most of these people are HDB dwellers who do not have easy access to a clubhouse, swimming pool, gym, billiard room, etc. Common amenities in condos and private apartments. Hence, a hotel stay with these facilities is deemed as a treat.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wonderful memories of Taman Negara. I was surprised how cool it was and everything was so pristine. The locals were polite and very helpful.

This reminds me that a simple and quick getaway to either Malaysia or Bintan is overdue. Eating what we catch from the sea or lake, relaxed pace and stress-free atmosphere. The chalets at Taman Negara were great, and fishing for Toman was most enjoyable.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Wonderful memories of Taman Negara. I was surprised how cool it was and everything was so pristine. The locals were polite and very helpful.

Same here. We stayed at the Lake Kenyir Resort in Terengganu, which was really nice and tranquil. We went up by coach, and it took forever. I would fly the next time.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

For dumbfuck 70% sinkies who dun dare to venture away from Sg....the best and safest place in the world.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same here bro, while still in school took the train all the way to Penang and spent the next few years using it as the staging point for side trips such as Frasers and Cameron Highlands. Along the way met Singaporeans of all ages with backpack following various trails along the east and west train lines. Best curry puffs is in Gemas, East/West split junction. Used to get in a about 2am and the vendors will meet the train - nice and warm, freshly made. First time I bought, had to dash back to buy some more. The passengers were also great characters. Read all of Paul Theroux's books on train journeys despite his ego. .

Ah... I miss those long train rides up north...