• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Chee's reflection on the Bukit Batok By Election

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your Voice in Parliament, GE2015
Character in Bukit Batok
19/5/2016 0 Comments

With a restful past week, I have had the opportunity to reflect on the eventful election at Bukit
​Batok. In the midst of the many developments during the campaign, a clear pattern emerged: While the SDP focused on running a positive and forward-looking campaign, for which we take much pride, our opponents came with a different game-plan.

The PAP's strategy was clear: envenom the nine-day campaign with as much vitriol as possible with facts sent to the mortuary.

It started off with the Chinese-language nightly, Lianhe Wanbao, which published an interview it did with me. The headlines screamed: CHEE PROUD OF HIS 'WILD AND COLOURFUL PAST'. The not-so-small problem was that I did not say any of those words.

SDP media liaison, Ms Mansura Sajahan, called the newspaper to protest the complete misrepresentation. The editor agreed to amend the offending headline on its online version. (I'll leave the sorry details of the episode for another piece.)

Enter, quite predictably, Mr Lee Hsien Loong. Mr Lee seized on the made-up headline and said: “[Chee said he] is proud of his record, he is proud of his crazy history, and yet when he comes today, he presents himself as a changed man."

His remarks were, of course, carried by all the newspapers with none of them bothering to find out from their sister publication whether there was any truth to the words attributed to me.

This signaled Open Season for the rest of the cabinet to hurl more abuse. One of the first in line was Ms Grace Fu who said that I was not qualified to be an MP because I have not “held a steady job for many years”. For good measure, she wondered out loud “what will Mr Chiam write about [Dr Chee]?"

Mdm Halimah Yaacob went further to say that I had no respect for elders.

Mr Heng Swee Keat jumped in: “This means a person can lie, cheat or betray someone with impunity...How are voters to believe what such politicians say or hold them accountable for their actions if they were running a town council?"

Then, right in the middle of the campaign, Mr Shanmugam decided to release the news that eight foreign workers from Bangladesh had been arrested by the Internal Security Department for alleged terrorist activities.

Like clockwork, the state media asked for my response to the arrests. When I replied that the Home Affairs Minister should look into tightening up our lax immigration policy and vetting more carefully foreigners they allow into Singapore, Mr Shanmugam flailed: “That we say no to all foreign workers? Or we say no to all foreign workers who are Muslim?"

PAP MP, Ms Rahayu Mahzam, continued baiting our campaign with the race card, asking if I was advocating that Singapore screened all Muslims entering the country. She accused me of politicising the issue – choosing to forget that it was Mr Shanmugam who decided to announce the matter during the campaign in May despite the arrests being made in April.

Along the way, Mr Goh Chok Tong, Mr Tan Chuan Jin, and Mr Chan Chun Sing weighed in and accused me of various life's transgressions.

All in all seven members of the cabinet and one Speaker of Parliament jumped into the electoral battle to ensure that the ad hominem onslaught became the focus of their campaign.

In wrapping up his party's operations, Mr Tharman lectured: “If he loses, I’ll advise him to reflect and ask how can things improve.” And then, without the slightest tinge of irony, added, “That's how we advance democracy.” (His promise to Dr Paul Tambyah that his party would run a clean campaign based on the issues and not gutter politics notwithstanding, of course.)

As I said at the outset, I am proud that the SDP ran a positive campaign predicated on our vision for Bukit Batok and, indeed, Singapore. Obviously, it was no match for the kind of poisonous politics offered by the PAP.

A political party doesn't exist just to win elections, however. It also serves as a model, a standard bearer for the people, especially our youth, in moral behaviour.

To this end, character – as was the theme that the PAP made central over the nine days in Bukit Batok – is what guided the SDP in our campaign.

SarahPeiLing

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This was the same person who wrote an open letter on the passing of LKY's wife in which he talked about ISA detainees and how LKY mistreated them.

This was also the same person whom his rally speakers claim don't vet their speeches and therefore cannot be held accountable for what they say.

currypuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
The common sinkies find Chee and the Kantang Party unreliable. This perception is reinforced by his reflection writeup.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
This was the same person who wrote an open letter on the passing of LKY's wife in which he talked about ISA detainees and how LKY mistreated them.

You are really applying the "love your enemy" mantra to Dr Chee.

I thought LHL wrote a better letter to KJ when JBJ passed away.

fanta

Alfrescian
Loyal
It started off with the Chinese-language nightly, Lianhe Wanbao, which published an interview it did with me. The headlines screamed: CHEE PROUD OF HIS 'WILD AND COLOURFUL PAST'. The not-so-small problem was that I did not say any of those words.

Unfortunately, Chee cannot shake off his wild and colorful past, nor do Singaporeans want a tainted politician in Parliament.

Chee and SDP should not be delusional and accept that Chee's past will prevent him from getting elected.

If Chee has any thought for democracy in Singapore, he should stop putting false hope into the many Singaporeans who wanted more opposition voices in Parliament.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unfortunately, Chee cannot shake off his wild and colorful past, nor do Singaporeans want a tainted politician in Parliament.

Chee and SDP should not be delusional and accept that Chee's past will prevent him from getting elected.

If Chee has any thought for democracy in Singapore, he should stop putting false hope into the many Singaporeans who wanted more opposition voices in Parliament.

Like a choir, people want MPs who can sing in synch on the same note, not those who sing out of tune. That is called noise. More noise is not welcomed. :cool:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
His issue is not just the past. He does not know how to treat the past. By saying that he is proud of his achievement, he is asking for trouble. Any press journalist will be tempted to bait him because he will bite. Every time one of the Ministers bring this up, he will write a long essay in Facebook which not only get another round of airing his laundry, people start poking holes in his version and they get tired of the repeated victimhood excuse. When Chan Chun Sing did it over Huffington Post, he wrote an essay in his Facebook. When Lawrence Wong did it, again another essay in Facebook. To make matters worse his supporters reply to his post with the wrong message and he thinks he did the right thing.

He also does not know the meaning of "on the record".

He does not have the skills to manoeuvre the voters to what he and SDP can do and away from the crap that is spewed by the PAP. He still does not realise that the audience are the voters and not the PAP.

One other thing that others have pointed out is matter of poor strategy. Why highlight Town Council Management. He and SDP have failed miserably when they ran Bukit Gombak and Nee Soon Central. 8 of the 13 SDP CEC members could not get full time jobs elsewhere and ended up working for the SDP Town Councils. Still dare to make this a Campaign headline. Already we bitch about PAP supporters who cannot be employed working for PA, NTUC, GLCs etc.

All he had to do was focus on being an independent voice in Parliament. Thats what people and voters want. How he thought he was going to make the BB the best Town Council is beyond me. It virtually impossible as the MP does not controls all the resources. So why mislead people. And it was the opening gambit of his campaign. Strategy 101 failed with no chance of a re-examination. 23 years and he still cannot get the basics right. 23 years and he cannot even beat an Indian who can't even speak in a rally to save his life.

As long as he continues to plays the victim in his Facebook, we will all be wasting our time. Is it so hard to paint out all the abuses and failures of the PAP. The bloody PAP cannot even match the HK MTR despite the American CEO getting half the pay of Desmond Kuek. Look at the coverup of Goodwood Park Hotel food poisoning which affected 183 people. The treatment by MOH and the press was disgraceful. No transparency and no disclosure of details compared to Prima and other cases. Its a disgrace and this happened in the middle of the campaign. The fucking PM and his family and the Govt elites stay at the sister hotel in London and given the royal treatment. More the reason why there should be transparency. Bukit Batok , the best Town Council my arse.

fanta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said. His past is an issue and the sheer mention of his past will make him unelectable. Singaporeans have high standards, they want everything first class, Chee with his wild and colorful past is second class and will not win the votes of the majority of Singaporeans that champions first class. Chee will be like a person who has been released from prison and still trying to get a bank officer job or an office job.

Chee is an embarrassment to the SDP and opposition. He cannot win at a by-election, where the former PAP MP resigned in disgrace and after so many attempts in contesting. In contrast, the WP can win Punggol BE under similar circumstances and it is won by an ordinary party member and not the leader of an opposition party.

After the BB BE, when he came out to give that press conference about his controversial relationship with Chiam, it was disappointing because it meant he still want to contest in future elections, so he gave that press conference to explain and perhaps dissuade the people, PAP, press from bringing out his wild and colorful past in the future. This showed he did not understand his unelectability and that for him to keep insisting to contest is to deny others a chance to contest.

Had Paul Tambyah contest the BB BE, he might be elected, he has impressive qualifications and without the wild and colorful past that Chee carried for life. You never know, even Wong Souk Yee may stand a better chance than Chee as she did not have the wild and colorful past that Chee has.

His issue is not just the past. He does not know how to treat the past. By saying that he is proud of his achievement, he is asking for trouble. Any press journalist will be tempted to bait him because he will bite. Every time one of the Ministers bring this up, he will write a long essay in Facebook which not only get another round of airing his laundry, people start poking holes in his version and they get tired of the repeated victimhood excuse. When Chan Chun Sing did it over Huffington Post, he wrote an essay in his Facebook. When Lawrence Wong did it, again another essay in Facebook. To make matters worse his supporters reply to his post with the wrong message and he thinks he did the right thing.

He also does not know the meaning of "on the record".

He does not have the skills to manoeuvre the voters to what he and SDP can do and away from the crap that is spewed by the PAP. He still does not realise that the audience are the voters and not the PAP.

One other thing that others have pointed out is matter of poor strategy. Why highlight Town Council Management. He and SDP have failed miserably when they ran Bukit Gombak and Nee Soon Central. 8 of the 13 SDP CEC members could not get full time jobs elsewhere and ended up working for the SDP Town Councils. Still dare to make this a Campaign headline. Already we bitch about PAP supporters who cannot be employed working for PA, NTUC, GLCs etc.

All he had to do was focus on being an independent voice in Parliament. Thats what people and voters want. How he thought he was going to make the BB the best Town Council is beyond me. It virtually impossible as the MP does not controls all the resources. So why mislead people. And it was the opening gambit of his campaign. Strategy 101 failed with no chance of a re-examination. 23 years and he still cannot get the basics right. 23 years and he cannot even beat an Indian who can't even speak in a rally to save his life.

As long as he continues to plays the victim in his Facebook, we will all be wasting our time. Is it so hard to paint out all the abuses and failures of the PAP. The bloody PAP cannot even match the HK MTR despite the American CEO getting half the pay of Desmond Kuek. Look at the coverup of Goodwood Park Hotel food poisoning which affected 183 people. The treatment by MOH and the press was disgraceful. No transparency and no disclosure of details compared to Prima and other cases. Its a disgrace and this happened in the middle of the campaign. The fucking PM and his family and the Govt elites stay at the sister hotel in London and given the royal treatment. More the reason why there should be transparency. Bukit Batok , the best Town Council my arse.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
well said, bring up the shameful past of British Empire with record of slave trades in Africa region and opium trade in Far East China, the British and their allies ( 8 countries attacked China 八国连军) the Pommies will quietly leave like a dog with its tail down walke back the small island England.

Major criminal past against humanity record is perpetual. angmoh British stil kpkb of their WW1 & WW2 when they are the victims of the war. still cursing at Germany for starting WW2 and Gallipoli war in Europe are still celebrated in Australia like looking for another WW2 repeat.

Well said. His past is an issue and the sheer mention of his past will make him unelectable.

Chee is an embarrassment to the SDP and opposition. He cannot win at a by-election, where the former PAP MP resigned in disgrace and after so many attempts in contesting. In contrast, the WP can win Punggol BE under similar circumstances and it is won by an ordinary party member and not the leader of an opposition party.

fanta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Would vote for him readily previously but after 5 attempts, he is wasting Singaporeans' time and giving false hope.

well said, bring up the shameful past of British Empire with record of slave trades in Africa region and opium trade in Far East China, the British and their allies ( 8 countries attacked China 八国连军) the Pommies will quietly leave like a dog with its tail down walke back the small island England.

Major criminal past against humanity record is perpetual. angmoh British stil kpkb of their WW1 & WW2 when they are the victims of the war. still cursing at Germany for starting WW2 and Gallipoli war in Europe are still celebrated in Australia like looking for another WW2 repeat.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is it so hard to paint out all the abuses and failures of the PAP. The bloody PAP cannot even match the HK MTR despite the American CEO getting half the pay of Desmond Kuek. Look at the coverup of Goodwood Park Hotel food poisoning which affected 183 people. The treatment by MOH and the press was disgraceful. No transparency and no disclosure of details compared to Prima and other cases. Its a disgrace and this happened in the middle of the campaign. The fucking PM and his family and the Govt elites stay at the sister hotel in London and given the royal treatment. More the reason why there should be transparency. Bukit Batok , the best Town Council my arse.

It all boils down to whether sinky voters have a mind of its own. Even if opposition parties can bring all the right words, right examples and in the right situation that caused PAP to STFU and hide silently during all the campaigning period or not campaigning at all. Sinkie will still vote for PAP. It is really hard on all our opposition aspirants party. Sinky minds have been corrupted since birth. Worse than Zika, a disease called sinkies syndrome and incurrable.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still think he has hope if he does not constantly shoots himself in the foot. I will write about this later in terms of what he must do.

Well said. His past is an issue and the sheer mention of his past will make him unelectable. Singaporeans have high standards, they want everything first class, Chee with his wild and colorful past is second class and will not win the votes of the majority of Singaporeans that champions first class. Chee will be like a person who has been released from prison and still trying to get a bank officer job or an office job.

After the BB BE, when he came out to give that press conference about his controversial relationship with Chiam, it was disappointing because it meant he still want to contest in future elections, so he gave that press conference to explain and perhaps dissuade the people, PAP, press from bringing out his wild and colorful past in the future. This showed he did not understand his unelectability and that for him to keep insisting to contest is to deny others a chance to contest.

Had Paul Tambyah contest the BB BE, he might be elected, he has impressive qualifications and without the wild and colorful past that Chee carried for life. You never know, even Wong Souk Yee may stand a better chance than Chee as she did not have the wild and colorful past that Chee has.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Would vote for him readily previously but after 5 attempts, he is wasting Singaporeans' time and giving false hope.

Sympathise with him, maybe grudging respect for his perseverance but vote for him? No. He's not going to make BB or Singapore better. It will be confrontational and u know both sides won't give in so it would just result in gridlock.

fanta

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still think he has hope if he does not constantly shoots himself in the foot. I will write about this later in terms of what he must do.

Next time, he should never mention Chiam or use any photo relating to Chiam, doing that will open that can of worms that will cause his electability.

When he made references to Chiam, it showed he did not have the confidence and ability to win. That's why he needs to borrow Chiam's name to lend credibility. So if he is still lacking in confidence in future and needs to use Chiam's name, he should get Chiam and Lina to publicly endorse him before doing that. Otherwise, with no public endorsement, he should stay away from Chiam which is effectively staying away from that can of worms.

And PAP will certainly attack him again on these historical incidents, he should just ignore it, don't respond at all, don't even think about holding a press conference to explain, cause when he is explaining, he is losing. And that's why he lost BB BE.

ErsXoBT.jpg

“If you're explaining, you're losing.” ― Ronald Reagan, The Reagan Diaries

fanta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sympathise with him, maybe grudging respect for his perseverance but vote for him? No. He's not going to make BB or Singapore better. It will be confrontational and u know both sides won't give in so it would just result in gridlock.

Actually it will be fun to see him in action in Parliament, his command of English will make a lot of PAP MPs who are poor in English freak out.

Another politician that will freak out PAP MPs is - a lot of people seems to hate him and complain about his accent - KJ. His command of English with that accent will intimidate PAP MPs. Denise will tell Lawrence, "help me out".

Yet another one, ex-SDP member, WJ (sorry can't remember his name, but the gay politician, so you know who) can make a dent in parliament, in one of the debates, he irritated Tharman so much.

And the hidden gem of the opposition, powerful voice and good English, Lim Tean, he could have won BB BE if he contested. He has no wild and colorful past.