• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious If Loong 少林擂台 vs LTK in Parliament who will live?

SeeFartLoong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Canadian MP vs PM fighting

336AD38700000578-0-image-a-5_1461276227435.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/trudeau-conservative-whip-1.3588407

Justin Trudeau's elbowing incident leaves House in an uproar
'There is not a parallel in contemporary Canadian history,' NDP House leader says following Commons uproar

John Paul Tasker · CBC News
2 Hours Ago
Play Media
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau accused of 'manhandling' a MP in the House of Commons 3:39
25k *shares 5126 *comments
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau*was*accused of "manhandling" Opposition whip Gord*Brown and elbowing NDP MP Ruth*Ellen*Brosseau*in the House of Commons as MPs gathered for a vote on the government's assisted-dying bill Wednesday afternoon.

In video from the House, Trudeau is seen walking toward Brown in a crowd of MPs in the Commons*aisle, taking his arm in an apparent effort to move Brown toward*his seat. While doing so, he encountered Brosseau, who was also standing in the aisle and was seen physically reacting*after the*contact.

"I was trying to start the vote, the prime minister grabbed my arm. I immediately told the prime minister to let go of me — now," Brown said in a statement released later. "Immediately afterward, the prime minister went back down the aisle of the House to confront other members of opposition parties."

"I later told the prime minister he should NOT have gotten out of his seat," Brown added.

Play Media
Justin Trudeau's actions cause uproar in House 0:41
NDP House leader Peter Julian accused*Trudeau*of "manhandling" Brown, as MPs on all sides of the House shouted and Speaker*Geoff*Regan*struggled to regain order.*

NDP MP*Tracey*Ramsey said the prime minister swore as he approached Brown and*the opposition benches. "He said 'Get the bleep out of the way,'" she said, adding Trudeau "violently" grabbed Brown.

Trudeau's elbow punctuates his least sunny day: Aaron Wherry
#Elbowgate: PM's elbow meets MP's chest and a Twitter trend is born
Trudeau accused of 'childish behaviour' in House of Commons
Trudeau, praised for his fashion, but questioned about style
Sources told CBC News that Trudeau used the F-word — a profane utterance that decades earlier landed his father, Pierre Trudeau, in hot water in the same House of Commons.

But it was Trudeau's actions that provoked the most concern and anger from opposition benches.

In a still image from House of Commons video, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is seen reaching in for Conservative whip Gord Brown. (CBC)

Trudeau appears to move Gord Brown out of the group of MPs as NDP MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau, right, appears to be bumped. (CBC)

NDP MP Niki Ashton, right, seated, and Conservative MP Peter Van Loan, seated second right, watch as Trudeau and Brown move away from the group and Brosseau reacts. (CBC)
'You're pathetic!'

MPs were just about to vote*on time allocation for Bill C-14, the government's physician-assisted*dying legislation.

The prime minister later said he felt Brown was walking too slowly ahead of the vote.

After the incident, the prime minister again crossed the floor and engaged in a loud and heated conversation with NDP Leader Tom Mulcair.

"What kind of man elbows a woman? It's pathetic! You're pathetic!"*Mulcair*can be heard on tape shouting at*Trudeau.**

An emotional Brosseau said later in the House that she had been "elbowed in the chest by the prime minister," bringing Trudeau to his feet once again to "apologize unreservedly."

Brosseau said she was so upset from the incident*that she had to leave the chamber, subsequently missing the vote.

Play Media
NDP MP Brosseau: 'I was elbowed in the chest' 0:33
Her NDP MP colleague*Niki Ashton*said she was deeply troubled by Trudeau's actions.

"I*am ashamed to be a witness to the person who holds the highest position in our country do such an act.*I want to say that for all of us who witnessed this, this was deeply traumatic. What I will say, if we apply a gendered lens, it is very important that young women in this space feel safe to come here and work here," she said.

"He made us feel unsafe and we're deeply troubled by the conduct of the prime minister of this country."

The entire incident unfolded as former prime minister Stephen Harper was in the chamber for the vote, a rare occurrence. He can be seen on tape observing the altercation with a cocked eyebrow and a bemused expression on his face.

'Unadvisable course of actions'

Play Media
Justin Trudeau apologizes to Ruth Ellen Brosseau 1:43
In a second attempt at an apology, Trudeau*said he took full responsibility for the "unadvisable course of actions."

"I want to take the opportunity … to be able to express directly to [Brosseau] my apologies for my behaviour and my actions, unreservedly. The fact is, in this situation, where I saw … I noticed that the whip opposite was being impeded in his progress, I took it upon myself to go and assist him forward, which I can now see was unadvisable as a course of actions that resulted in physical contact in this House that we can all accept*was unacceptable," he said.*

"I look for opportunities to make amends directly to the member and to any members who feel negatively impacted by this exchange and intervention."

Play Media
Peter Julian: 'physical force in this House is never permitted' 0:41
Julian said later what transpired was simply unacceptable.

"There is*not a parallel in contemporary Canadian*history. We hear about members becoming physical in other countries but that is not Canada," Julian said as MPs raised points of privilege after the vote.

Conservative MP Peter Van Loan said it was an "extraordinary*example of physical intimidation."*

"I witnessed as [Trudeau] strode across the floor with an anger fierce, in his face and eyes, towards a group of individuals. What took place was the prime minister physically grabbing people, elbowing people, hauling them down the way," he said.

Opposition leader Rona Ambrose posted a statement Facebook*saying Trudeau*"demonstrated a complete lack of respect for members of the House of Commons, and for Parliament."

"No one should ever have to deal with this kind of behaviour in any workplace. The fact that it's the prime minister of Canada is embarrassing. He should be ashamed of his actions," she said.*

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May said she witnessed "mischief" on the floor leading up to the incident, and added she saw the prime minister approach Brosseau to offer an apology shortly after the altercation.

Play Media
Elizabeth May describes House fracas 0:43
"It was most unwise of the prime minister to attempt to move along the vote by moving along [Brown]. That movement was clearly a contact that was unwanted. But the second contact, which was certainly the one that was the most emotional for the member involved, was clearly from my perspective I confirm … unintentional," she said of the prime minister's encounter with Brosseau.

"And I have to say, I saw the prime minister approaching and following the honourable member, trying to reach her and saying*how very sorry he was, he had not seen her behind him," May said.

Later, at an event celebrating the government's official apology for the*Komagata Maru*incident, the prime minister apologized again and acknowledged that his behaviour in the House would overshadow the historical reckoning.

"I'm certainly someone who knows that sometimes*it's a challenge to always be positive and be*welcoming. And indeed I'm going to apologize again for an incident in the House this evening that might take away a little bit in the news tomorrow and, for some people, the extraordinary celebration that today is … for that I truly regret."

Play Media
Peter Van Loan: Trudeau had 'anger fierce in his eyes' 1:56
Report Typo

pusy2rights

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...u-apology-elbowgate-canada-parliament-critics

Justin Trudeau apologises again as 'elbowgate' darkens 'sunny ways' image
Canadians criticise and attempt to make sense of prime minister’s ‘manhandling’ of MPs and the unprecedented melee in parliament

PlayMute
Current Time 0:00
/
Duration Time 0:47
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
FullscreenYour browser is no longer supported. <a href="http://whatbrowser.org" target="_blank">Update your browser?</a> <button class="vjs-error-display__close">close</button>
Canadian PM Justin Trudeau apologises after physical altercation in parliament.
Ashifa Kassam in Toronto
@ashifa_k
Thursday 19 May 2016 18.28*BST Last modified on Thursday 19 May 2016 18.35*BST

Share on Pinterest Share on LinkedIn Share on Google+ Share on WhatsApp
Shares
Comments
Save for later
Justin Trudeau apologised for a third time on Thursday over accusations that he “manhandled” a member of parliament and elbowed another, as Canadians wondered what to make of an unprecedented physical fracas in parliament involving the prime minister.

Canada’s normally staid House of Commons erupted into chaos on Wednesday, after the visibly annoyed Trudeau marched into a group of MPs, grabbed Conservative Gordon Brown by the arm and led him out of the group.

Parliamentarians were waiting to vote on a controversial motion from the Liberals to limit debate on assisted suicide legislation. The vote was delayed while several New Democrat MPs gathered around Brown, seemingly impeding him from taking his place.

Trudeau swore as he strode toward Brown, reportedly telling MPs to “get the fuck out of the way”. Footage from the House of Commons showed Trudeau elbowing New Democrat Ruth Ellen Brosseau as he pulled Brown away from the group.

Justin Trudeau apologises for elbowing opposition MP in Canada's parliament
Read more
Mayhem ensued. MPs shouted and pounded their desks as Tom Mulcair, leader of the New Democratic party, lashed out at Trudeau. “What kind of man elbows a woman? It’s pathetic! You’re pathetic!” Mulcair shouted. Trudeau later apologised twice for the incident.

On Thursday, Trudeau reiterated his apologies. “No amount of escalation or mood in this house justifies my behaviour last night. I made a mistake, I regret it, I’m looking to make amends,” he said. “I accept full responsibility for my poor choices last night and I ask for Canadians’ understanding and forgiveness.”

app

Download the free Guardian app
Read the latest news from across the world and save articles to read across your devices and desktop.
Click here
The incident will be reviewed by an all-party committee, after the speaker of the House of Commons, Liberal Geoff Regan, concluded that Brosseau’s privileges as an MP had been breached.

Trudeau said his actions would be reviewed by the House of Commons committee on procedure and House affairs.

On Thursday opposition MPs urged Trudeau to make amends by withdrawing a contentious motion that would give the government power to decide when debates should be extended or adjourned.

Others wanted more, with Conservative Peter Kent suggesting Trudeau’s actions were in contempt of parliament. Dan Davies, a former labor lawyer turned New Democrat, demanded consequences, arguing that no workplace in Canada would allow an employee to be physically moved along by their boss. “While an apology is absolutely essential, that is not sufficient,” Davies said.

Advertisement

The fracas at parliament dominated headlines across Canada, with #elbowgate trending on Twitter. Many pointed to the last time a Canadian legislature got physical: a 2013 incident in which Rob Ford, the late, former mayor of Toronto, bowled over a 63-year-old female city councillor as he rushed to defend his brother, councillor Doug Ford, who was arguing with members of the public in the council chamber.

Wednesday’s incident provoked howls of disapproval from opposition politicians. “No one should ever have to deal with this kind of behaviour in any workplace,” the opposition leader, Rona Ambrose, said in a statement. “The fact that it’s the prime minister of Canada is embarrassing. He should be ashamed of his actions.”

Brown, the MP at the centre of the melee, said in a statement to media that he told Trudeau to “let go of me – now. ‎Immediately afterward, the prime minister went back down the aisle of the House to confront other Members of Opposition parties. I later told the prime minister he should NOT have gotten out of his seat.”

Advertisement

New Democrat Niki Ashton contrasted Trudeau’s actions with his image as a modern, feminist leader. “Not only was this the furthest thing from a feminist act … He made us feel unsafe and deeply troubled by the conduct of the prime minister of this country.”

Conservative Jason Kenney tweeted that if Stephen Harper, the country’s former prime minister, had ever physically bullied MPs as Trudeau did on Wednesday, there would be immediate and widespread demands for his resignation.

Others defended Trudeau. “There is nothing intentional that happened here,” said Liberal Judy Foote. “And I think we have to bear in mind that sometimes emotions run very high, but at this point in time I think we need to accept the prime minister’s apology and recognise that civil obedience is something that we all appreciate.”

Elizabeth May, the leader of Canada’s Green party, described Trudeau’s actions as unacceptable but called the elbowing an accident. “He had not seen her behind him. That is the truth. Now you can like it or not like it.”

The CBC described Wednesday as Trudeau’s least sunny day, a reference to the prime minister’s guiding philosophy of “sunny ways”.

“One can now read any number of character traits into the act: impatience, impulsiveness, bravado, pugnacity. But whatever his reason, it was obviously unwise and what resulted was undignified,” wrote one political reporter. “A prime minister who understands the importance of image might understand tonight as unfortunate. And now it is one more thing his government will have to concern itself with.”

A columnist in the Globe and Mail, noted that the images “conflicted so jarringly with the Justin Trudeau image of a cheerful, collaborative leader”. Five of the newspaper’s 10 most-read stories of the day centred on Wednesday’s melee.

In an editorial, the newspaper added that when governments are accused of “riding roughshod” over the opposition, the phrase is meant to be metaphorical. “Physically grabbing your opponents is the opposite of respect, and while it’s clear that Mr Trudeau lost his temper, other people lose their tempers all the time in public life and don’t resort to using anything more forceful than words.”