• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Woman killed by cement mixer while cycling in Yishun

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NP_20160517_MGCYCLE_1263929.jpg
GRIEF: A relative of Madam Lin Shui Yu grieving at the spot where she was killed by a cement mixer.
TNP PHOTO: 
MARIAN GOVIN

[h=1]Woman killed by cement mixer while cycling in Yishun[/h]

Woman cycling in Yishun killed by cement mixer

May 17, 2016 6:00am

[h=4]By Marian Govin[/h]

Three women were cycling across a pedestrian crossing in Yishun when tragedy struck.
A cement mixer turned into their path and collided with the woman in the middle.
It then ran over the same woman, Madam Lin Shui Yu, 59, killing her on the spot.
Madam Lin was on her way home with her two friends when the accident happened at the T-junction of Yishun Avenue 9 and Yishun Central, her family members told the media.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force was alerted to the accident at 11.25am, and pronounced her dead at the scene.
DISTRAUGHT
Madam Lin's family members who were at the scene were distraught. They said she was taking care of her grandchildren and had celebrated her birthday last weekend with her grandson.
A female relative knelt at the spot where Madam Lin was hit and wailed: "Why did you have to go?"
She had to be supported and moved away by other family members when the pedestrian light turned red and vehicles started turning into the junction.
Madam Lin's daughter, who declined to be named, said she wanted justice to be served.
"I just want to know why the driver did not stop. He should have been able to see my mother," she said.
The driver of the cement mixer, a 50-year-old male, was arrested by the police.
A reader who wanted to be known only as Ms Ho, 34, called The New Paper hotline when she saw the blue tent along the road.
Police are investigating.

Tags:
accident, cyclists, Death, CEMENT TRUCK, yishun

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-ne...xer-while-cycling-yishun#sthash.h6viogAw.dpuf

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
At a pedestrian crossing, the law says cyclists need to dismount and push their bicycles across. But still, the driver of the cement mixer ought to kept a better look out.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why we keep having these repeating accidents? Last time two boys on a bike kena run over by a truck too.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The flaw with sinkieland's traffic junction is that right turning vehicles almost always do not keep a lookout for pedestrians crossing on green man. You must be very alert while crossing the one half of the road where right turning vehicles may dash out at you just because there's no vehicle coming in their opposite direction.

Shut Up you are Not MM

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good!

More errant toad users better DIE on the road daily.

Road conditions had been plagued badly by misusing of pedestrians crossings, especially cyclists and electric bikes.

LTA and TP is not really doing enforcement and regulatory jobs on them. Courts still protect them unlawfully.

Cyclists habitually abuses pedestrians crossings by dashing across, they are NOT BUYING INSURANCE, not having any demerits points to control them, have no license to be disqualified, court can not even ban anyone from cycling regardless how bad accidents they caused. There is no public education to tell them how wrong and dangerous they are. LTA does not force errand cyclists to go for safety courses, but they do to drivers!

When accidents occurred driver can not claim any insurance against cyclists, they are not insured! Yet they can claim against car's insurance! How single sided is law in SG! Cyclists and Drivers are supposed to be PROTECTED EQUALLY by law. But court punish only drivers when cyclists are in the wrong, abusing misusing pedestrians crossings, when they are not walking on foot.

To correctly use pedestrians crossings, cyclists are SUPPOSED TO DISMOUNT AND PUSH BIKES. Or else they must follow traffic like motorcycles on lanes and follow traffic lights with motorcycles and cars, not pretending to be pedestrians. It is Illegal and yet WRONGLY TOLERATED AND INDULGED by courts by police and by other road users.

Shut Up you are Not MM

Alfrescian
Loyal
The flaw with sinkieland's traffic junction is that right turning vehicles almost always do not keep a lookout for pedestrians crossing on green man. You must be very alert while crossing the one half of the road where right turning vehicles may dash out at you just because there's no vehicle coming in their opposite direction.

Regardless of what color Green Man / Red Man, cyclists are NON-PEDESTRIANS. Law provided that CYCLISTS are CYCLISTS n PEDESTRIANS are PEDESTRIANS.

Pedestrians are the only legitimate users of Pedestrians' Crossings. If you are on wheels unless being pushed or pulled by other persons who are on foot, you are not Pedestrians any longer, you can not use the crossing accordingly. You can not be on wheels [roller blades, skate boards, bikes, electric Wheelchair]. Pushed Wheelchairs, strollers are same speed as people on foot, so they are OK.

Those dashing on wheels gives no time for motorists to observe and stop for them are disallowed to use pedestrians' crossings. Period.

Or else they will turn naturally into corpses called ROAD KILLS. Same as squashed rats on the roads.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why we keep having these repeating accidents? Last time two boys on a bike kena run over by a truck too.

Law of physics require such trucks to hv longer braking distake due to the density of non solid on board n the mass of the truck. Keeping look out is not enough. Gong cheebyes tend to overlook this.

Law of physics alao say there is not enough clearance on the road for safe riding. Roads needs to b wider. How many road kills are necessary depends on how gong cheebyes the sinkies are.

Law of economics. Drivers r given incentives to be cheaperest betterest n fasterest. A deadly mix on the roadfor heavu truck.

Just a matter of time an elite get kills to bring the message across.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

When I was in Taipei, using the crossing at the lights, I noticed the vehicles & human traffic or bicycle traffic, don't mix, that is, after you have crossed the lights change green for the vehicles to move. Whereas here, it is different. I noticed too, they have a dedicated lane for bicycle next to the pedestrian one for crossing the junctions. We are just a 'peesai' country, guess, we don't have space, but we have overpaid people ( bet you more than any of those in Taipei) in LTA whose job to do minimum work, for maximum pay. They are not there to serve the public.

Those in the pictures look like Ah Tiongs....in China (PRC) it is normal to cross, when they like & getting knock down & killed, is normal too....the cement mixer driver, is just, "unfortunate", who knows another Ah Tiong or 'jiu hu gia'..:rolleyes:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have already mentioned before that s'pore roads are unsafe, you have to look left and right even before crossing a one way road. this is the result of pap gahment mis-management. everywhere is overcrowded and accidents tend to happen. dun think that it will not happen to you, once you stepped in s'pore, be cautious.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have already mentioned before that s'pore roads are unsafe, you have to look left and right even before crossing a one way road. this is the result of pap gahment mis-management. everywhere is overcrowded and accidents tend to happen. dun think that it will not happen to you, once you stepped in s'pore, be cautious.

All my life I have looked left & look right before I cross, wait till the lights turn GREEN in my favour & the cars stopped before I cross or check there is no motorcycles coming down the road fast or bicycles or nowadays the motorised ones....but then again, it is quite "dangerous" walking next to roads ...you have motorcycle falling from the skies, taxis coming from nowhere etc...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with you. Though the drivers are prosecuted with some liability assigned to the victims, its time that enforcement action at pedestrian crossings be taken to get some order back in. It will benefit both pedestrians and drivers.

Regardless of what color Green Man / Red Man, cyclists are NON-PEDESTRIANS. Law provided that CYCLISTS are CYCLISTS n PEDESTRIANS are PEDESTRIANS.

Pedestrians are the only legitimate users of Pedestrians' Crossings. If you are on wheels unless being pushed or pulled by other persons who are on foot, you are not Pedestrians any longer, you can not use the crossing accordingly. You can not be on wheels [roller blades, skate boards, bikes, electric Wheelchair]. Pushed Wheelchairs, strollers are same speed as people on foot, so they are OK.

Those dashing on wheels gives no time for motorists to observe and stop for them are disallowed to use pedestrians' crossings. Period.

Or else they will turn naturally into corpses called ROAD KILLS. Same as squashed rats on the roads.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree with you. Though the drivers are prosecuted with some liability assigned to the victims, its time that enforcement action at pedestrian crossings be taken to get some order back in. It will benefit both pedestrians and drivers.

They do have enforcement at the pedestrian crossing to be fair, I have encountered this many times.....but this is another "wayang"....it is not done on regular basis or any crossing that has huge human traffic. They only do that, when some MP etc..or accidents occurring too often at that junction(s)...just to score some "Brownie points"...the benefits will be LTA pockets for fines....that is what motivates them...

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This looks brutal....as a cyclist you wouldn't want to do a 69 with this monster.

yes no fight, especially when they are making 6.9 turns at an intersection. even if pedestrians have right of way, they die die must run the pedestrian right of way as though they will miss their bak kut teh lunch. cement mixer trucks are no friends of bicycles and pedestrians. when in a turn at speed they don't brake for nobody.

Alamakinky

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree 99.765438654790986% with this statement of yours.....however if the truck driver belongs to this forum he has to give way to a certain cyclist otherwise he may end up being banned from posting for 24 months.

when in a turn at speed they don't brake for nobody.