• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Do you have HDB flat? No need go JB, you can retire in Spore now.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Screenshot_2016-05-16-01-37-36_com.facebook.katana_1463333887755.jpg

Sharp rise in take-up of HDB Lease Buyback Scheme after enhancements

541 households sold back part of their lease since April last year — a more than 100% jump

BY ASYRAF KAMIL
[email protected]ISHED: 1:01 PM, MAY 15, 2016UPDATED: 9:44 PM, MAY 15, 2016

SINGAPORE — Knowing he was going to be laid off due to his age, Mr Abdul Rahman Kemat, 68, decided to act first — sell a portion of the remaining lease on his four-room Housing and Development Board (HDB) flat to the Government, which would yield him a payout of about S$1,000 each month.

The security officer at Jurong Shipyard, who is expecting to be laid off before March next year, said that the money — which he calls his “pension” — will be helpful in covering his daily grocery expenditure as well as the costs of his hospital visits once every three months at the National University Hospital.

Mr Rahman is among the over 500 households who tapped the Lease Buyback Scheme (LBS) after it was enhanced in April last year. The scheme allows elderly homeowners to sell part of the tail end of their HDB flats’ leases to the Government for income.

Between April last year and March this year, 541 households made use of the scheme. This is a sharp increase compared to the preceding two years before the enhancements, where an average of 247 households each year — 494 households in all — took up the scheme.

When the LBS was first launched in March 2009, only 471 households took part in the scheme over a period of close to four years.

The enhancements introduced last year included extending the scheme to include four-room flats, raising the income ceiling to S$12,000, offering a choice of leases to retain instead of the previous 30-year standard, and allowing households with two or more owners to get more upfront cash.

Mr Rahman, who suffers from high-blood pressure and colorectal cancer, said: “When I found out about the scheme, I think it’s good because every month, they will contribute money to my bank account. So, even if I don’t have the job anymore, it’s enough just for ‘makan’ for me and my wife.” He chose to retain 35 years of his remaining lease.

For retiree Yap Kok Seong, 66, the LBS was the only viable solution for him “to have more savings and convenience”.

“The other scheme like the downsizing scheme is more troublesome. The new flat will be smaller and it will be very troublesome for me to move. It will be harder to adapt to a new environment if I were to move into a small flat,” said Mr Yap, who lives in a four-room flat in Jurong.

According to the HDB, close to half of the 541 households who took up the LBS recently are owners of four-room flats — who previously were not eligible. About 5 per cent of households had income exceeding S$3,000 and nearly half of the households (261) who took up the enhanced LBS chose to retain a lease length other than 30 years.

Applicants’ details are assessed to ensure they meet all the eligibility conditions for the scheme. They are also be provided with personalised financial counselling in the presence of their family members to help them make a more informed decision.

Besides the LBS, elderly homeowners can monetise their flats through other schemes such as subletting a room in their flat, or selling their flats and moving to a smaller flat — for which lower-income elderly households can receive a supplement in the form of the Silver Housing Bonus.

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
He should, after selling part of the lease, collect $1000 from the government and continue to sublet his flat to foreigners, and move to J B.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Congrats sinkies,first the garmen sscrew u out of ur cpf and cash to pay for ur hdb flat,then they screw u out of ur hdb flat.u are nothing but a perpetual slave for PAP,working for nothing except ur survival.what is rhe price of freedom in singapore?

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 5c should be better defined as the new caste system along with the systematic grading of education to put dowm sinkies toward its the end. All these become the layer of glass ceiling to deter sinkies from further advancing forward. Those who featured in the lowest rungs of umtouchables r given exclusive help of pathetic welfare so they constantly remain in the dole line and to toe the line if they want to hv the dole.
Those in the middle will b demoted down the glass ceiling if they cannot afford affordable housing n healthcare.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's alarming - he knows he is gonna be laid off due to age. Wtf is Govt talking abt re employment past 65 if companies are dismissing ppl due to age ? He is gonna b laid off not retire mind u.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's alarming - he knows he is gonna be laid off due to age. Wtf is Govt talking abt re employment past 65 if companies are dismissing ppl due to age ? He is gonna b laid off not retire mind u.

He is 68, the re-employment age is up to 67. Anyway by selling off his lease to the Govt, he is selling away his children's future.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
He should, after selling part of the lease, collect $1000 from the government and continue to sublet his flat to foreigners, and move to J B.

Yeah! Ya'right. Collect $1K from pap, rent out flat for $1K (minimum). $2K is a lot in Johore .. especially if moved over to smaller towns like Masai. Comfortable life with RM5K.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah! Ya'right. Collect $1K from pap, rent out flat for $1K (minimum). $2K is a lot in Johore .. especially if moved over to smaller towns like Masai. Comfortable life with RM5K.

Yes, he should have rent out his place/ or 1 room for the rental.
Why want to go for LBS.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am truly weary of this scheme. I was hoping that HDB and the press would give a breakdown of the type of people who go for this scheme and provide more figures than was presented.

Firstly its primary intention is to fund or top up the Retirement Account for CPF Life. Secondly from the example given by CPF in their website, I am sure if it is profit neutral for CPF. It is certainly not cost neutral when it comes to PAP. Land and house even those on leaseholds in the long run appreciate substantially over the long run. CPF should at the very least index it so that if it rises above a certain benchmark, the funds should be topped up by CPF.

The other thing that is wrong is that some who is aged 68 should not worry about his medical bills and cost of medication. Even the story shows that it was eventually go back to the govt as paid medical bills.

Overall it again spells as yet another mechanism for the govt to ensure citizens do not end up as burden to the state and that medical bills are covered. Should not a state medical insurance be the way to go from age 21 decades ago instead of these scheme.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So this lease buyback thing proves that hdb is just a rental thing,and it only cost 1k a month to rent a 3/4 room flat,these people obviously didnt do the math.why dont the garmen sell us 5 or 10 year lease for those who just want a temporary place to stay in and dont wish to own a hdb flat and wants to fuck off from here after establishing a financial base.dont need to cry about cpf dont need to worry about hdb,singapore is ovverrated,its not even a 2nd rate city.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am truly weary of this scheme. I was hoping that HDB and the press would give a breakdown of the type of people who go for this scheme and provide more figures than was presented.

Firstly its primary intention is to fund or top up the Retirement Account for CPF Life. Secondly from the example given by CPF in their website, I am sure if it is profit neutral for CPF. It is certainly not cost neutral when it comes to PAP. Land and house even those on leaseholds in the long run appreciate substantially over the long run. CPF should at the very least index it so that if it rises above a certain benchmark, the funds should be topped up by CPF.

The other thing that is wrong is that some who is aged 68 should not worry about his medical bills and cost of medication. Even the story shows that it was eventually go back to the govt as paid medical bills.

Overall it again spells as yet another mechanism for the govt to ensure citizens do not end up as burden to the state and that medical bills are covered. Should not a state medical insurance be the way to go from age 21 decades ago instead of these scheme.

On the contrary, they maybe thinking they are doing everyone a favour, as the thought process could be the longer leasehold properties is, the lower value it get, especially with the fact that bank isn't able to make loans for property that is left with certain number of years of lease, especially for hdb flats.

Straight line depreciation......albeit in descending order.....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The value drops with lenders and not the state. HDB flats are politically sensitive and that the reason why there is estate renewal and priority queue for those affected etc. An index tagged to the programme serves a useful purpose that no party gets a "wilful gain or wilful loss".

On the contrary, they maybe thinking they are doing everyone a favour, as the thought process could be the longer leasehold properties is, the lower value it get, especially with the fact that bank isn't able to make loans for property that is left with certain number of years of lease, especially for hdb flats.

Straight line depreciation......albeit in descending order.....

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this applies to my landlady. she's 69, single, no kids, and she thinks she'll live till 89 - 20 years to go. her flat has another 60 odd years in the lease, so she surmises that she can probably "lease back" 30 years of the remaining lease for cash. "what's the point of sitting on 30 years of unrealized "asset" when she will be long gone?" was running through her head. selfish me, i advised her to pass it down to me, but she thinks i'm greedy and a fraud. anyway if she passes it down to me i'll sell after she passes and plan to move to langkawi. selfish her and rightfully so, she wants to have cash upfront in monthly deposits and enjoy the rest of her frail life with the best of the 6 k's. for health coverage she's satisfied with class c ward hospitalization and occasional outpatient visits to a nearby klinic, with low out of pocket fees. no point dragging on if she's diagnosed with an acute condition. bedok reservoir is nearby. i see the wisdom in her ways. i'm beginning to fall for her.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
U should comvince her to adopt u as a foster sonm dp a yang yin arrangement to manage her after life post 89. So that the flat is kept clean for her dead soul to wonder n not pick up the dirt n mix with her ashes.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The value drops with lenders and not the state. HDB flats are politically sensitive and that the reason why there is estate renewal and priority queue for those affected etc. An index tagged to the programme serves a useful purpose that no party gets a "wilful gain or wilful loss".

Politically sensitive or not, it remains to be seen.......
After all, understand that there is a development charge, to those private developers to top up the lease to 99 years, i.e., the former Gillman heights, is a good example.

Won't be surprised if they asked Singaporeans to do such, say there is only 40 years of lease left....

Or maybe, maybe if we are lucky, they may just extend the lease without charging......will that be a possibility?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U should comvince her to adopt u as a foster sonm dp a yang yin arrangement to manage her after life post 89. So that the flat is kept clean for her dead soul to wonder n not pick up the dirt n mix with her ashes.

cannot. i'm also 69.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this whole thing is so fishy,after u sold part of the lease back to the government,what is the actual lease life of the hdb flat left?can hdb resell the flat on the market?what determines the lifespan of a hdb flat?

and this sounds like a losing transaction for the flat owner......in exchange for a certain sum,the owner gets to stay in the flat for another X amount of years....lets say the 4 room flat owner decides to keep 20 years of his lease,he gets $1k per month X 12 months X 20 years =$240k,after which the government gets ur flat.....essentially the government will never lose,since they are buying ur flat for cheap below the market price and letting u stay for another 10 or 20 years.......and this 240k does not account for inflation and devaluation of currency and purchasing power......since it is paid over the length of 20 years,and not a lump sum upfront payment of 240k today......$1000 in the future is worth much much less than $1000 today,currency loses approximately 33 percent of its value every 20 years......which is like another discount over time for the PAP.....who knows if u wanted to sell ur 4 room flat 10 years later,4 room flats could be worth 500k by then assuming 5 percent inflation in housing per year.and u lost out on another 150k of value.....thats another 150k into PAP's pockets.

Last edited: