• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Singaporeans dunno how to differentiate between right and wrong?

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right becomes wrong. Wrong becomes right?

Have we lost it because of secular education?

We have lost our moral direction. We have become so self righteous serving our own desires and needs.

Like that how to survive in this world?

Die lah. Sure end up in hell.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
iz bcos 1 burgerz ah boy likes 2 twist a wrong in2 a rite n he tinks he smart wif it ...

evrybody else den follow suit ...

but 70% of sinkies approve of it ...

searcher1

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have become a society that no longer cares about right & wrong. As long as the end result benefits the majority, it is the right way. To sacrifice the minority (even when they tell the truth) for the benefits of majority

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing gonna stop them as the day follows the night
Right becomes wrong, the left becomes the right
And they sing as they march with their flags unfurled
Today in the mountains, tomorrow the world

I'm a soldier of freedom in the army of man
We are the chosen, we're the partisan
The cause it is noble and the cause it is just
We are ready to pay with our lives if we must

I'm a soldier of fortune, I'm a dog of war
And we don't give a damn who the killing is for
It's the same old story with a different name
Death or glory, it's the killing game

[video=youtube;4hHfCMh-G-s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hHfCMh-G-s[/video]

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
We have become a society that no longer cares about right & wrong. As long as the end result benefits the majority, it is the right way. To sacrifice the minority (even when they tell the truth) for the benefits of majority

Singapore is a pragmatic society. That is also how we have avoided going the route of western europe - high annual budget deficits, revolving corrupt and incompetent politicians, failure of their multiculturalism experiment, widespread drug abuse.

As a pragmatic society, we have zero tolerance towards crime, corruption and budget deficits. Our pragmatic approach towards life also ensured that we have yet to be seriously affected by a recession all these decades.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Singapore is a pragmatic society. That is also how we have avoided going the route of western europe - high annual budget deficits, revolving corrupt and incompetent politicians, failure of their multiculturalism experiment, widespread drug abuse.

As a pragmatic society, we have zero tolerance towards crime, corruption and budget deficits. Our pragmatic approach towards life also ensured that we have yet to be seriously affected by a recession all these decades.

Yes, but somehow sinkies are still the unhappiest people in the world. We have the best govt in the world, who have made us the richest country in the world, with extremely low crime and corruption. Why ah? Are sinkies an ungrateful and daft lot?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes, but somehow sinkies are still the unhappiest people in the world. We have the best govt in the world, who have made us the richest country in the world, with extremely low crime and corruption. Why ah? Are sinkies an ungrateful and daft lot?

I don't understand why sinkies are the unhappiest people even though some poll says so. Overwhelming majority of sinkies enjoy the following: safe streets, stable society, stable economy and job market, enough money to pay for food and utilities.
A lot of sinkies' unhappiness is due to unrealistic expectations and taking things for granted.

You could try living in Venezuela or Zimbabwe, where hyper-inflation and lack of basic necessities are the norm.

Try living in central american countries like Honduras or El Savador, where drugs and gangland crime have been out of control for decades.

Try living in Mexico, where drug and violent death are so pervasive that people start worshipping a death saint.

Try living in most ASEAN countries, where average folk have to survive on around US$100 a month and below.

Try living in the United States, where the government is so gridlocked that even local police can be sued in court for checking immigration papers of suspected illegal immigrants, where gun violence is getting more common in offices and schools, health care system is in shambles and you have to pay multiple taxes and hire tax attorneys to do your taxes.

You could also move to western europe, where the streets are getting less safe due to the stupidity of European politicians in fiscal management and the type of migrants they take in. Be grateful that our government are taking in mostly chinks and Pinoys. You rather they take in more Arabs and make our streets far less safe? There would be an unofficial curfew in our streets after dark for women. Try Googling sexual assault and crime rates in western countries like Germany and Sweden.

Sinkies have it good and luckily, most sinkies have enough brains to recognize it.

Last edited:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I don't understand why sinkies are the unhappiest people even though some poll says so. Overwhelming majority of sinkies enjoy the following: safe streets, stable society, stable economy and job market, enough money to pay for food and utilities.
A lot of sinkies' unhappiness is due to unrealistic expectations and taking things for granted.

You could try living in Venezuela or Zimbabwe, where hyper-inflation and lack of basic necessities are the norm.

Try living in central american countries like Honduras or El Savador, where drugs and gangland crime have been out of control for decades.

Try living in Mexico, where drug and violent death are so pervasive that people start worshipping a death saint.

Try living in most ASEAN countries, where average folk have to survive on around US$100 a month and below.

Try living in the United States, where the government is so gridlocked that even local police can be sued in court for checking immigration papers of suspected illegal immigrants, where gun violence is getting more common in offices and schools, health care system is in shambles and you have to pay multiple taxes and hire tax attorneys to do your taxes.

You could also move to western europe, where the streets are getting less safe due to the stupidity of European politicians in fiscal management and the type of migrants they take in. Be grateful that our government are taking in mostly chinks and Pinoys. You rather they take in more Arabs and make our streets far less safe? There would be an unofficial curfew in our streets after dark for women. Try Googling sexual assault and crime rates in western countries like Germany and Sweden.

Sinkies have it good and luckily, most sinkies have enough brains to recognize it.

I agree with what you said. Every country has its own challenges. But I do not think sinkies' unhappiness is due to unrealistic expectations and taking things for granted.

The issue here is how our society has evolved. We measure everything in dollar and cents. All things like sense of self-worth, personal identity, self-respect, happiness are linked to how much money you have. But only the top few elites earn plenty of money, and the rest of sinkies feel worthless and pressured.

High cost of living, competitive education system, paternalistic govt, over population, too many FTs and the govt's emphasis on economic growth at all costs make for a very potent cocktail in inducing dissatisfaction and unhappiness.

jw5

Loyal
I agree with what you said. Every country has its own challenges. But I do not think sinkies' unhappiness is due to unrealistic expectations and taking things for granted.

The issue here is how our society has evolved. We measure everything in dollar and cents. All things like sense of self-worth, personal identity, self-respect, happiness are linked to how much money you have. But only the top few elites earn plenty of money, and the rest of sinkies feel worthless and pressured.

High cost of living, competitive education system, paternalistic govt, over population, too many FTs and the govt's emphasis on economic growth at all costs make for a very potent cocktail in inducing dissatisfaction and unhappiness.

But why has sinkie society become like that? Have you identified the underlying reason? :confused:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right becomes wrong. Wrong becomes right?

Have we lost it because of secular education?

We have lost our moral direction. We have become so self righteous serving our own desires and needs.

Like that how to survive in this world?

Die lah. Sure end up in hell.

Singapore citizens have been educated to a very high standard, but PAP aka Lees' have successfully concealed WISDOM from them, so highly educated, intelligent but w/o WISDOM, that is the success of the Lees'

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I would prefer a society that does not measure everything in dollars and cents ONLY. However, that doesn't mean I don't agree that in most cases, most things should be measured in dollars and cents. Otherwise, how do we quantify them?

If we paid toilet cleaners too much, then fewer people would invest in themselves to pick up more valuable vocational skills since they can get by on the bare minimum of job skills.

With regard to self-worth, most people measure their own self-worth and that of others through accomplishments - salaries, medals, highest computer game score, some sort of ranking. Money is just an easy way to gauge level of professional success across most professions. If we don't use money, then what should we use?

Ideally, I would prefer more people to achieve financial success by age 45, so that they can get out of the rat-race and enjoy a slower pace of life. Smell the roses, travel, or just work part-time. But the fact is, most people make poor decisions with regards to their education, financial and career planning, which ensures that they will be perpetually in need of money. Some others, even after they enjoy career success, continue to work long hours because they see it as a form of validation. I know of very successful hawkers who became millionaires. Yet, they continue to work 15 hours a day as though their lives depended on it.

Singapore is a modern society. It is not a society where only the top few elites earn a lot of money. I earn a lot and have a lot of money, but I can assure you that there are many people out there who earn more than me. This is not some medieval society where there is a very small or non-existent middle class. There is a large middle class and upper middle class of Singaporeans. As long as our needs are mostly met and our wealth kept intact, most of us will vote for PAP.

High competitive system is meant more for people who have poor financial planning and risk losing it all overnight if their income source gets cut off. For people like me, even if my business fails, I will still walk away a rich man because I have made sufficient plans for the rainy day. I would be less rich of course, but still rich.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
But most of those in Peoples' Association are running dogs of PAP or Lees', why join? man w/o WISDOM, WASTING TIME, ARE YOU BEING PAID, SO FUCKING HARD WORKING????????

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
But most of those in Peoples' Association are running dogs of PAP or Lees', why join? man w/o WISDOM, WASTING TIME, ARE YOU BEING PAID, SO FUCKING HARD WORKING????????

We are volunteers, pretty much like any other volunteers with church, social movement or rights groups. It's just that we are volunteering to help with government agencies that deal with the poor and needy.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I would prefer a society that does not measure everything in dollars and cents ONLY. However, that doesn't mean I don't agree that in most cases, most things should be measured in dollars and cents. Otherwise, how do we quantify them?

If we paid toilet cleaners too much, then fewer people would invest in themselves to pick up more valuable vocational skills since they can get by on the bare minimum of job skills.

With regard to self-worth, most people measure their own self-worth and that of others through accomplishments - salaries, medals, highest computer game score, some sort of ranking. Money is just an easy way to gauge level of professional success across most professions. If we don't use money, then what should we use?

Ideally, I would prefer more people to achieve financial success by age 45, so that they can get out of the rat-race and enjoy a slower pace of life. Smell the roses, travel, or just work part-time. But the fact is, most people make poor decisions with regards to their education, financial and career planning, which ensures that they will be perpetually in need of money. Some others, even after they enjoy career success, continue to work long hours because they see it as a form of validation. I know of very successful hawkers who became millionaires. Yet, they continue to work 15 hours a day as though their lives depended on it.

Singapore is a modern society. It is not a society where only the top few elites earn a lot of money. I earn a lot and have a lot of money, but I can assure you that there are many people out there who earn more than me. This is not some medieval society where there is a very small or non-existent middle class. There is a large middle class and upper middle class of Singaporeans. As long as our needs are mostly met and our wealth kept intact, most of us will vote for PAP.

High competitive system is meant more for people who have poor financial planning and risk losing it all overnight if their income source gets cut off. For people like me, even if my business fails, I will still walk away a rich man because I have made sufficient plans for the rainy day. I would be less rich of course, but still rich.

Unfortunately, the reality in Spore is accomplishments are measured only in dollars and cents. It was consciously started in ernest when LKY announced that ministerial pay would be pegged to private sector top earners. It really kick started the notion that money and salary are very important factors in the sinkie society.

Financial success and being financially independent are actually beyond the reach of most sinkies. Except for a few enlightened and rich people like yourself and boss sam, most are stuck in a shit-hole. I agree that most sinkies make very poor decisions with regards to their education, finance/savings and career. This is made worst by Spore being so expensive. If you messed up here, you will suffer for a long time or for the rest of your life. So, for many people, it is a struggle to maintain the status quo. Treading water to just stay in the same spot, amidst stronger opposing current. This preoccupation with amassing enough money creates unhappiness. I would venture that more and more sinkie will be diagnosed with anxiety and depression in the near future.

A logical consequence of using money to measure accomplishments is the issue of materialism. Being materialistic makes the sinkie even more insecure and more kiasu. Then more unhappy again! And this island being so small, everyone can see your success or lack of. I am surprised that no more people go to Bedok Reservoir for scuba diving these days :smile:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
But why has sinkie society become like that? Have you identified the underlying reason? :confused:

Yes..... I think. It is sinkiness :biggrin: Like you mentioned in another thread. Kiasu, Kiasi, Kiakwee, Kiaboh, Kiabor and Kiachenghu.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are volunteers, pretty much like any other volunteers with church, social movement or rights groups. It's just that we are volunteering to help with government agencies that deal with the poor and needy.

Well, most of citizens in the know that most of you are DOGS, running dogs of PAP, if what you claim is true, tell PM to correct that wrong impression, the most simple thing to do is to make only voters' selection aka MPs the leaders. so simple also cannot do, talk cock for what?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

have u ever lived in other countries or ur just assuming.....i think 90 percent of the world is pretty safe to live in,its just certain spots that are troubled.its a huge world out there.safe is overrated,too safe means ur boring and dull,thats why melbourne is the best.the average tourist in melbourne stays for a month up to the maximum of 3 months on their tourist visas......in singapore u will never catch anyone staying more than 2 days,even 7 days in this shithole is a stretch.aint shit to see or do here except the merlions and the shopping malls,and insanely hot freaking weather......lky likes to say theres no beggars or hobos in singapore,but by australia's standards 80 percent of the people in sg are hobos.....u are surrounded by hordes of hobos everyday jostling and fighting with them for space.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
have u ever lived in other countries or ur just assuming.....i think 90 percent of the world is pretty safe to live in,its just certain spots that are troubled.its a huge world out there.safe is overrated,too safe means ur boring and dull,thats why melbourne is the best.the average tourist in melbourne stays for a month up to the maximum of 3 months on their tourist visas......in singapore u will never catch anyone staying more than 2 days,even 7 days in this shithole is a stretch.aint shit to see or do here except the merlions and the shopping malls,and insanely hot freaking weather......lky likes to say theres no beggars or hobos in singapore,but by australia's standards 80 percent of the people in sg are hobos.....u are surrounded by hordes of hobos everyday jostling and fighting with them for space.

I have.

90% of the world sucks by Singapore's standards. It's unsafe, undeveloped, prone to natural disasters, suffer from serious pollution problem or have out of control drug problems.

Try living in any ASEAN country surviving on ASEAN average monthly pay.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have.

90% of the world sucks by Singapore's standards. It's unsafe, undeveloped, prone to natural disasters, suffer from serious pollution problem or have out of control drug problems.

Try living in any ASEAN country surviving on ASEAN average monthly pay.

Unfortunately, the reality in Spore is accomplishments are measured only in dollars and cents. It was consciously started in ernest when LKY announced that ministerial pay would be pegged to private sector top earners. It really kick started the notion that money and salary are very important factors in the sinkie society.

I haven't met any politician who was paid pittance and was okay with it. Nearly every "lowly paid" politician in the world takes bribes. They are corrupt and there is nothing you can do about it because their legal system is also taking bribes. In Singapore, we solve this problem by paying civil servants and politicians a good salary so that vast majority are not tempted to take bribes.

Politicians are in for the money and influence. You are kidding yourself if you think they are not.