• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat GMS makes the news again with SBF past

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many of the old timers will remember this incident in SBF. Sorry for the wall of text.

http://theindependent.sg/goh-meng-seng-likes-to-argue-for-arguments-sake/Goh Meng Seng likes to argue for argument’s sake
By The Independent - May 11, 2016 37 2871
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

By: 永久浪客/Forever Vagabond

Earlier, Goh Meng Seng posted a Facebook message condemning Dr Chee after the Bt Batok by-election (http://theindependent.sg/ppp-head-goh-meng-seng-says-chee-should-go). He said that Dr Chee is “tainted beyond hope” and is “just unelectable”.
Later, it was pointed out to him that as a politician himself, his negative comments about others can easily boomerang back to himself (http://theindependent.sg/goh-meng-seng-once-tarnished-wps-reputation-by-embroiling-in-internet-brawl).

Instead of apologizing and standing together with his fellow opposition compatriots to show opposition unity, he continues to justify his earlier attacks against Dr Chee (http://theindependent.sg/minor-opposition-party-leader-continues-attacks-on-sdps-chee-soon-juan).

In fact, it was precisely because of his “loose comments” on the Internet some years ago which caused him to resign from WP, not long after GE2006. This was fortuitous for WP because he contested in GE2006 as part of WP’s ‘A’ team in Aljunied GRC. Had he stayed on and became a WP MP after GE2011, and had to resign later due to his “badmouthing” of others on Internet, he would have caused even greater embarrassments to WP.

Goh Meng Seng talks down people

A cursory check on Internet shows that Goh Meng Seng, indeed, has a habit of arguing with people on the Internet. In a posting some years back, netizen “Rock^Star” has already observed (http://sgforums.com/forums/10/topics/286072):

“I visited the sammyboy forums page and chanced upon Goh Meng Seng arguing with bohemiansg about tidal waves and tsunamis. (Yes, no joke about this) – http://forums.delphiforums.com/sammyboymod/messages?msg=62800.1

A petty argument though but it highlighted the shifty stance of Goh and how he will attempt to defend a worthless argument at all costs. There has also been word going around sammyboy that he talks down people.

For those of you who don’t know GMS, he is a member of the National Solidarity Party (NSP). He was a member of the Workers’ Party Central Executive Committee but resigned months back due to an online argument in sammyboy.”

Further checks through the sammyboy forum link did show that he was arguing with netizens for the sake of arguing.

Goh Meng Seng argues with netizens if Singapore can survive a tidal wave

It started when a netizen posted a thread hypothesizing that if tidal waves were to hit Singapore, many parts of Singapore will be devastated. The netizen advised, “Better stay further inland or higher up.”

Following is an excerpt of the discussion on the thread which generated more than 200 postings alone, many from Goh Meng Seng himself:

ttt42: It may never happened because we are shelter by Sumatra!

Goh Meng Seng: Dear ttt42, You are right. We are being shielded by both Sumatra and Malaysia. However, if the quake is somewhere along the Strait Of Malacca and a tidal wave evolves, we will all be in deep sea trouble.

Bohemian_sg: straits of malacca is fault zone meh?… to my knowledge… straits of melaka is not on the faultline…faultline is at sumatra… GMS might as well say that earth quake can occur at sentosa and the resultant tidal wave will make us a modern atlantis

Goh Meng Seng: Dear Bohemian, Technically speaking, yes, you are right. But tidal waves could be caused by things like huge objects dropping down from the sky. The strait may not be “too narrow” to effect a tidal wave; in fact it is a good compression pipe for the waves to be accelerated, just like a bay rebouncing the forceful waves to form bigger waves.

Bohemian_sg: were we talking about huge objects falling from the sky into the straits of melaka? or were we talking about earthquake?

lovedave: You have no understanding of Tsunamis. Tsunamis occurred when earthquake under the sea bed forced the sea bed up and the sea water up in a very short time. The ripple will be of such magnitude that the wavelength of the waves is kiliometres long and the magnitude ten to hundred metres high. Singapore will not be spared if:

Such huge earthquake occured north of Jakarta or West of Phillipines or Borneo. In Singapore, Pasir Ris, Punggol and Changi including the Airport will be Dead Zones! Pulau Ubin and Tekong will become empty lands! Of Course such occurence will be rare as the fault lines lies South of Jakarta and on the Philiipines itself, not near the sea bed. But, then… what if

Goh Meng Seng: Dear lovedave, I do understand how Tsunamis evolve out of earthquakes on the sea bed. But earthquakes aren’t the only source of force that will result in tidal waves. You just drop a stone into the pool, you get ripples. If that stone is big enough with high velocity, you get tidal waves.

Bohemian_sg: big stone is rock… big rock is moon… ok.. i get it.. wait until moon drop down then can see tidal wave at straits of melaka… i understand liao… thanks…no need ronaldhino to aim

Radiohead: A comet hitting the earth is quite rare- it can happen but the chances are slim. And if it hits, the whole world will be affected- not just S’pore. A comet’s force upon hitting the earth is much more powerful than the nuke dropped on Japan in 1945 – so it flatten S’pore and parts of Malaysia too.

Bohemian_sg: you know i know… but some ppl say that comet can zhun zhun hit straits of melaka therfore causing a ripple that will hit singapore. anyway, that someone diam diam liao

Goh Meng Seng: Dear Bohemian, This is not impossible at all, though the possibility may be zero. Possibility zero doesn’t mean impossible. That’s statistical inference. It will also depend on the size of the comet. A 100 ton comet will just do the job. The displacement of the sea water would send a great tidal wave across the strait. The compression effect of the strait will actually amplify the effects.

You are talking as if it is IMPOSSIBLE for such thing to happen to Singapore. Nothing is impossible; just that the possibility is very remote. Just keep counting your blessings.

Bohemian_sg: Dear Mr Goh,… why 100 tonnes? based on which mathematical calculations? if big enough, comet at madagascar will also tidal all the way to the straits lah! i suggest you stick to talking to uncle and aunties instead of trying to sound knowledgeable and intellectual

The point of this argument is as follows: You said that earthquake at straits of melaka will cause tidal waves to hit singapore… you were corrected that the straits does not lie on the fault zone…

you sidestepped the earthquake and started mumbling about objects from the sky hitting the straits….and suggesting stones lah rocks lah comets lah hitting the straits… why dun you just say the moon dropped down on the straits to cause the tidal wave…nothing is impossible what!

>>>> The displacement of the sea water would send a great tidal wave across the strait. The compression effect of the strait will actually amplify the effects<<<

any fool will know the displacment of water along the straits will hit singapore.. the point is that what will cause the displacement? if so what are the likelihood of such cause arising?

Goh Meng Seng: Dear Bohemian, Apparently you are not trained in statistics. Possibility zero is not equal to “impossible”. Well, put it simply…. to win first prize for Toto, the probability is almost zero, but it is not impossible. People do win first prize for Toto. Get it?

Earthquakes may be caused by other factors; a comet hitting the ground also give you earthquake and displacement of water. You will need to open up your minds.

Bohemian_sg:

>>>>Apparently you are not trained in statistics. Possibility zero is not equal to “impossible”. Well, put it simply…. to win first prize for Toto, the probability is almost zero, but it is not impossible. People do win first prize for Toto. Get it? >>>

look who is talking… you are mixing up PROBABLITY with POSSIBLITY… stats does not deal with possiblity and impossiblity….it only deals with probablity…

to use your toto example, probablity can be calculated… in the case of comet hitting straits of melaka THERE IS NO DATA FOR YOU to draw any conclusion based on probablity…hence stats is irrelevant in your defence

>>>>>Earthquakes may be caused by other factors; a comet hitting the ground also give you earthquake and displacement of water. You will need to open up your minds.<<<<

dun sidetrack… any idiot know that a comet can cause water displacement…. THE POINT IS THAT whether a comet will zhun zhun aim the straits of melaka since the straits is not on the fault zone …

Goh Meng Seng: …What I have said is no nonsense but it is out of your capacity to understand. Zero probability is not equal to impossibility. Ask any professors teaching statistics and they will enlighten you.

I will give you one simple illustration: to win the first prize for Toto, the probability is almost zero. (one out of 12 million). But this doesn’t mean that it is impossible to win as proven that there are people who have won the first prize. And you need to open up your mind. Earthquakes could be initiated by a comet hitting the ground or seabed too…

You may think it is not possible to calculate the probability of a comet hitting Malacca Strait, but it is possible with certain information. That’s how scientist calculate probability of comet running around the universe hitting earth, with information on earth’s orbit and the gravitational forces effecting comets that run around the universe.

And even if you claim that it is not possible to calculate probability of comet hitting, what makes you so sure that it is impossible for one to hit Malacca Strait? It is just a case of “unimaginable” things happening; but shits could just happen.

Bohemian_sg:

>>>>Zero probability is not equal to impossibility. Ask any professors teaching statistics and they will enlighten you.<<<

probablity does not deal with the issue of possiblities and impossiblities… you must be really dense in the head!

Wrong just admit wrong, dun come and drag toto probablities which can be calculated against a a comet zhun zhun hitting the straits of melaka creating a tidal wave to hit singapore… man you really like to shift your stand…. from earthquake to comet to toto…just never admit that your initial post and subsequent mumbling makes no sense..

you fail geography, astronomy, stats… please dun xia suay NUS grad lah! First technet is internet and then now : earthquake caused by comet creating tidal wave hitting singapore = toto chance. You tell those uncle auntie still can lah… ANyway to use your analogy of toto, the chances of a tidal wave caused by an earthquake caused by a falling comet hitting singapore is = to a person never buy toto kena toto first prize! got probablity meh?

Bohemian_sg: wah lau… you really the man…

>>>>You may think it is not possible to calculate the probability of a comet hitting Malacca Strait, but it is possible with certain information.<<<

like what information? simi si certain information? how many times comets has hit straits type of information?

>>>>That’s how scientist calculate probability of comet running around the universe hitting earth, with information on earth’s orbit and the gravitational forces effecting comets that run around the universe. :wink:<<<

earth quite big compared to straits of melaka hor! which scientist can do it huh?

>>>>>And even if you claim that it is not possible to calculate probability of comet hitting, what makes you so sure that it is impossible for one to hit Malacca Strait? It is just a case of “unimaginable” things happening; but shits could just happen. :wink:<<<<

Wait very long for you to ask this question liao… you wanna try guessing why i keep telling you it wont happen?

Goh Meng Seng: Dear Bohemian, Unless you could prove that there is comet running around in this universe, or that there will not be any earthquakes on earth, then there is no probability to speak about…that’s totally impossible as there are no such incidents; this is the proper analogy to your “no buy toto”.

But the fact is that there are comets running around and maybe new ones added from time to time. Thus, since there is happenings…i.e. there are people buying toto, thus, there is always a probability involved on whether the comets will hit Earth and hit at the strait.

I do not think you understand this at all. Never mind lah!

Bohemian_sg:

>>>>there will not be any earthquakes on earth, then there is no probability to speak about…that’s totally impossible as there are no such incidents; this is the proper analogy to your “no buy toto”.<<<

straits IS NOT at the faultline so it is the equivalent of no buy toto! duh…

>>>> But the fact is that there are comets running around and maybe new ones added from time to time.<<<<

do you know what is a comet? comet can run one meh? anyway, i give you that one lah since you more used to talking to auntie

>>>>>there are people buying toto, thus, there is always a probability involved on whether the comets will hit Earth and hit at the strait. <<<<

yes there are ppl buying toto, but will the person who never buy kena the first prize??? Comets hitting the earth and comet hitting the straits is not the same thing!!! you watch too much movie liao lah….

Goh Meng Seng: Dear Bohemian, As usual, you shy away from the fundamental question. Is there any comets running around the universe or not?

Bohemian_sg: please lah…check the thread title before you ask such a stupid question… fundamental? btw comets no leg cannot run… dun try to siam… please come back to earthquake and tidal wave and straits of melaka….

Radiohead: I don’t think the comet will be so zhun to target S’pore. Those chances are one out of a million. It usually hits bigger continents- like Siberia in Russia, China, the US, Artic part of Canada and Greenland. But a collision between a meteroid and the earth hasn’t happen for almost a few thousand years already…so just stick to earthquakes for the moment!

Bohemian_sg to Radiohead: more like one in a zillion zillion to the power of zillion zillion…. i also dun think will be so zhun…. but some ppl think that a coment can hit nearby every monday and thursday.. anyway… he diam again liao…

Bohemian_sg: oei… masterdebater come out and play leh

>>>>As usual, you shy away from the fundamental question. Is there any comets running around the universe or not? :wink:<<<

whats so fundamental about comets in universe when we talking about earthquake…. quick show me how you can debate the pap on any issue leh!!!

Goh Meng Seng: Dear Bohemian, You are just making a fool of yourself!

In the following posting, I have clearly state that if the quake happens along Strait of Malacca, we will be in trouble. If the quake is at Strait of Malacca, where will the epicentre be? Thank you anyway for finding this thread to show that I did have good memory.

Bohemian_sg: you are such a hopeless liar and flip flop king! Are you suggesting that an earthquake at Straits of Melaka is the same as the epicentre moving to Straits of melaka? Please think carefully before you answer or else you will reveal your stupidity! Perhaps you should really shut up becuz replying makes you look stupidier than you already are!…

Straits of Melaka IS NOT a fault zone… how to be epicentre of an earthquake leh? Epicentre can only shift along the fault lines but NOT into an area which is not the fault line and not the fault zone. Primary school you never study meh!

domtheclown: Dear Bro Bohemian, Where’s the defendant? Stuck at the faultline of the Strait of Malacca! Wahahahahahahaha!

Bohemian_sg to domtheclown: You should have been around earlier when he so yaya start new thread flip flopping his lie..until i corrected him… then he change tune. Now he has to either say he did not know what he was talking about(which seems IMPOSSIBLE for him to do) or be condemn as a liar

domtheclown: Dear Bro Bohemian, Like I’d said earlier, you were very civil to him in the early days of the tsunami debate. I think you’re like some of the bros here, “blood gets boiled talking to him”!!!! As for me, I’m taking a break from this forum for a while. It’s very tiring and very stupid (on my part) to have engaged in any discussion with a charlatan. On the other, I didn’t know he’s one and I’d never seen a charlatan before in my whole life, honest!

In any case, Goh Meng Seng has returned to Hong Kong with his family. In an interview with asianthinkers.com, he said he likes Hong Kong “because the air smells differently”. He said that Hong Kong’s democratic core values are very much similar to those he embraces.

He even got his daughter to study in Hong Kong because he feels that Hong Kong’s education system is more advanced than Singapore’s.

“The Chinese education system is much more advanced that in Singapore. I am happy here,” he said.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ah seng hasn't got enough beer, he ought to drink more, better for him in case he spout nonsense.:biggrin:

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bohemian of the old sbf was one of those who royally screwed* GMS. The malacca faultline tsunami was a classic. This should be archived for posterity.

Bonsai

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS is too busy looking at other peoples' faces. If he had spend a little bit more time looking at his own face, he would have realized that there are more spots appearing on his aged face.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
And GMS is NUS alumni ............

Infinite-Facepalm-Reaction-Gif-Patrick-Stewart.gif

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Scroobal, hey this is classic. This belongs to the annals of SBF.

GMS has just made himself a legend here.

There are so many legendary stuff GMS posted here.

Out of respect to him and his real life persona, I have refrained myself commenting much. I did tell in no uncertain terms it was not good for him to talk like aka TCSS if he is a real life politician. He wouldn't listen and wouldn't agree.

Guess this is what happens. All your words here will be recorded here in posterity.

I miss this straight-talking chap, never rude but always persistent in pushing forward his views. Folks here have a field day lambasting him.

He is just one of us, however, I regard him a legend since he seldom comes back here.

The classic story of he, Lockeliberal and Ramseth got Tan Kin Lian to run for President will live as another legendary piece here. That one was vintage fun how we got together and argued against Tan Kin Lian being presidential.

http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?95937-2nd-Reply-Response-from-Tan-Kin-Lian

http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?94994-Tan-Kin-Lian-An-Opportunist-Let-see-the-Facts

http://www.singsupplies.com/showthr...n-Lian-Many-People-told-me-Many-People-ask-me

And Tan Kin Lian called it a "smear campaign" from sammyboy.

https://twitter.com/kinlian/status/81737612079017984

He sure took it seriously when even we did not take seriously what we said. Lolz.:biggrin: