• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Time to disband Chiam's Singapore People's Party

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It served its purpose as a vehicle for Chaim after the SDP leadership coup in 1992 and it served him and the residents of Potong Pasir well. Its fortunes has dipped since 2011 and in 2015 it performed well below par compared to others despite having some good candidates.

Its best that Ben Pwee and Jeantte Chong-Aruldoss and the team and supporters form a new party to attract like-minded individuals. DAP does not have a decent history but it does have some level of established opposition networks though ageing amongst the Chinese speaking segment of society. The party name and brand however would be a show stopper to bring in credible candidate material.

Singapore cannot accommodate many political parties due to size but it will at least need one other opposition party with some appreciable bench strength. 2011 and 2015 show that opposition candidates are out there but have difficulty finding the right party with the right platform. Existing parties are either tainted or personality driven such as SPP and does not help individual candidates to raise a reasonable profile.

Workers Party is seen as too rigid and too cautious as result of their past experience where they could have faced closure due to individual party members conduct. The gestation period of potential candidates in this time and age of comparatively more fluid movements does not attract enough candidates. It is therefore important that another quality party is formed. In 2011 SDP accommodated many quality candidates who were not party members but became one for convenience and it does show that there are people out there.

Holdmetight

Alfrescian
Loyal
It served its purpose as a vehicle for Chaim after the SDP leadership coup in 1992 and it served him and the residents of Potong Pasir well. Its fortunes has dipped since 2011 and in 2015 it performed well below par compared to others despite having some good candidates.

Its best that Ben Pwee and Jeantte Chong-Aruldoss and the team and supporters form a new party to attract like-minded individuals. DAP does not have a decent history but it does have some level of established opposition networks though ageing amongst the Chinese speaking segment of society. The party name and brand however would be a show stopper to bring in credible candidate material.

Singapore cannot accommodate many political parties due to size but it will at least need one other opposition party with some appreciable bench strength. 2011 and 2015 show that opposition candidates are out there but have difficulty finding the right party with the right platform. Existing parties are either tainted or personality driven such as SPP and does not help individual candidates to raise a reasonable profile.

Workers Party is seen as too rigid and too cautious as result of their past experience where they could have faced closure due to individual party members conduct. The gestation period of potential candidates in this time and age of comparatively more fluid movements does not attract enough candidates. It is therefore important that another quality party is formed. In 2011 SDP accommodated many quality candidates who were not party members but became one for convenience and it does show that there are people out there.

The problem is too many indian chiefs wanting their own territory. Kenneth Jeyaretnam, Goh Meng Seng, Tan Jee Say, Desmond Lim, and Lina Chiam do not want to be second in command. Most they will concede to is coming together under a common alliance to avoid 3 cornered fights and possibly share candidates. Even that is problematic when egos start clashing, as past events have shown.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiam and his wife should have folded up and move on. I can't stand the sight of Lina Chiam trying to get the limelight by always standing beside her frail and obsolete Chiam See Tong.

This couple are the best projection of today's state opposition party.

Frail and incompetent.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is the same. If Low or Chee retires, dunno whether the parties can survive or not. Small parties are like small businesses. That is why you vote for a brand name like PAP!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think we all can safely rule out all the 5 that you mentioned playing a decent part for the Opposition camp in the future. All 5 have displayed their wares and they have progressively deteriorated in time. One is certainly a non-starter from day 1 and another could not even form a decent political party and retain its members. All 5 have only themselves to blame.

The problem is too many indian chiefs wanting their own territory. Kenneth Jeyaretnam, Goh Meng Seng, Tan Jee Say, Desmond Lim, and Lina Chiam do not want to be second in command. Most they will concede to is coming together under a common alliance to avoid 3 cornered fights and possibly share candidates. Even that is problematic when egos start clashing, as past events have shown.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have to agree with you bro. What a sad way for Chiam to be remembered after 2 decades of public service.

Chiam and his wife should have folded up and move on. I can't stand the sight of Lina Chiam trying to get the limelight by always standing beside her frail and obsolete Chiam See Tong.

Frail and incompetent.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
This other party which you are proposing, needs to ask, and determine what the voter base really wants? An alternative party, another opposition (for the sake of opposition? Or an alternative Singapore? One different from the model put in everybody's mind by LKY, of which, PAP stands unchallenged. Dr. Chee has all the requisites of the anti-PAP camp, the intellect, the desire to be that, but it does not look like he is what the voters want (people here don't give two hoots for individual rights, political fairness and all that liberal stuff). The WP has shown to be "hopefuls" in fulfilling what they aspire to be - an alternative voice, but what alternative voice? What are they going to offer the public, that the PAP cannot, or not already done? Same old, same old. The Singapore public is a hard nut to crack. They want the cake and they want to eat it as well. They feel comforted when told they are first-world nation, but immediately resent and become spiteful when told they are poor and smelly! Looking at the crowd in Singapore, I do not know whether it is a good choice to fight for them! What do they want? Democracy? They already have it. More freedom of the press? Nobody seems to want to boycott the current daily news publications. There are a lot of gripe about what they can and can't get in their lives here in Singapore, it is time these were examined, and targeted by your new political group. Some things come to mind which have been already accepted by the society, but I think needs to be relooked at - for example, the three quarter tank ruling. National Services terms, another newspaper, second language in schools, dual citizenship and/or other travel restrictions, etc. Otherwise, every election will be the same. Good luck!

Cheers!

It served its purpose as a vehicle for Chaim after the SDP leadership coup in 1992 and it served him and the residents of Potong Pasir well. Its fortunes has dipped since 2011 and in 2015 it performed well below par compared to others despite having some good candidates. ........................................................

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have to admit it's the end of an era. The political climate has changed since Mr Chiam's time and he had a big part in shaping it.

But last Friday's news story just shows how a risk he (or his party) can be to the opposition cause now

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you attend meetings, both closed and open door meetings of people, societies and associations and where the topics are social and politics, you will sense that there is rich vein of good thinkers who have the interest of the people and the country at heart. They do not toe the line, neither do pander to the wishes of the ruling party. So I am of the view they are out there. And some are prepared to step forward. What they need might not be out there to help them in the journey that must be undertaken.

In 2011, 2 parties namely NSP and SDP became ships of convenience for these people. It was fantastic. And they did incredibly well in enough for the PM to go down on bended knee. The aftermath however was horrendous. Both parties lost every single of these candidates. Their attempt to help the parties to gain traction and develop in the right direction was rebuffed. They were basically shown the door.

Singaporeans are no different to voters all around the World. We all have one head and 4 limbs and function the same. We are however comparatively more conservative and risk-adverse. PAP knows that and it will play brinkmanship with the electorate. There will however come a time when incompetency and general malaise will set in as the signs are already there. And the right opposition candidates will have to be there for them be picked up.

This other party which you are proposing, needs to ask, and determine what the voter base really wants? An alternative party, another opposition (for the sake of opposition? Or an alternative Singapore? One different from the model put in everybody's mind by LKY, of which, PAP stands unchallenged. Dr. Chee has all the requisites of the anti-PAP camp, the intellect, the desire to be that, but it does not look like he is what the voters want (people here don't give two hoots for individual rights, political fairness and all that liberal stuff). The WP has shown to be "hopefuls" in fulfilling what they aspire to be - an alternative voice, but what alternative voice? What are they going to offer the public, that the PAP cannot, or not already done? Same old, same old. The Singapore public is a hard nut to crack.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have not attended any political rallies, firstly because I do not have much interest in politics. If I vote, I will select the person I see as the underdog. And on this, it is likely I will not vote PAP if I were an eligible voter. As for economic benefits, I believe this is dependant on many factors, of which the gahmen of the day may not be able to influence (with the exception of imposing taxes, and permits/license and regulating it a little). this is usually subject to many worldly factors. Rest of the issues, it depends on the law of the land. And varies from place to place. So, if anyone wishes to go into public office, he/she has to sacrifice private matters and become a public person - that is no fun. Cannot get drunk in public, speak obscene words, go red light areas, etc. Fucked up life. For those who do, it is a noble thing to do, just don't get caught with one's hands in the cookie jar!

Cheers!

When you attend meetings, both closed and open door meetings of people, societies and associations and where the topics are social and politics, you will sense that there is rich vein of good thinkers who have the interest of the people and the country at heart. They do not toe the line, neither do pander to the wishes of the ruling party. So I am of the view they are out there. And some are prepared to step forward. What they need might not be out there to help them in the journey that must be undertaken.

In 2011, 2 parties namely NSP and SDP became ships of convenience for these people. It was fantastic. And they did incredibly well in enough for the PM to go down on bended knee. The aftermath however was horrendous. Both parties lost every single of these candidates. Their attempt to help the parties to gain traction and develop in the right direction was rebuffed. They were basically shown the door.

Singaporeans are no different to voters all around the World. We all have one head and 4 limbs and function the same. We are however comparatively more conservative and risk-adverse. PAP knows that and it will play brinkmanship with the electorate. There will however come a time when incompetency and general malaise will set in as the signs are already there. And the right opposition candidates will have to be there for them be picked up.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Between a credible new political party taking shape and contesting against the PAP & the WP, and a split in the PAP, I reckon we have a better chance for the latter to happen. But someone needs to challenge Pinky first. With LKY gone, that task should be easier. Tharman is a good candidate.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Somehow, I get the feeling that LKY was PM because he was LKY, and Pinky became PM because his daddy was LKY. On his own, I am doubtful if he could be where he is. How the others in the party accept him as their leader, I leave it to them. Just wonder, why? How come? If Tharman were a real politician, he would seize the opportuinity. Same thing for anyone else in the party, if they were real politicians.

Cheers!

Between a credible new political party taking shape and contesting against the PAP & the WP, and a split in the PAP, I reckon we have a better chance for the latter to happen. But someone needs to challenge Pinky first. With LKY gone, that task should be easier. Tharman is a good candidate.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Time to disband all political parties and convert Singapore to a Kingdom. It'll save everyone having to waste time going through the motions every 5 years and it will also allow government officials a chance to fuck around without having to resign when they get caught.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

this will not happen if opposition parties are not worthless quackery aint worth jackshit parties bolstered only by the size of their egos.what they need is a powerful organization like a syndicate or mafia or the Umbrella corporation to bind them together like the ONE ring from lord of the rings.they need to understand that the organisation is bigger than any one man alone.just like the the council of twelve colonies of the ancient human race in battlestar galactica,or the ring of stones at stonehedge or atlantis city,all the giant stone markers must work together in unison to create the most powerful portal of evil and destruction ever.

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Frail and incompetent.

so u are saying chiam should commit suicide?whats the point of living if u a decrepit spastic of a human being,a shadow of ur former self?nothing but bitterness and hatred resides in him.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Time for all these third rate oppos to just retire for good. Let one main oppo handle it. Worker's Party!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Considering the usual election results, I would say this time I have to agree with your political views. Quite ridiculous for people in power to have to refrain from having free and open sexual relations with another consenting adult. It should be a given perk for high status and position.

Cheers!

Time to disband all political parties and convert Singapore to a Kingdom. It'll save everyone having to waste time going through the motions every 5 years and it will also allow government officials a chance to fuck around without having to resign when they get caught.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Considering the usual election results, I would say this time I have to agree with your political views. Quite ridiculous for people in power to have to refrain from having free and open sexual relations with another consenting adult. It should be a given perk for high status and position.

Cheers!

if that takes place, count me in for the next GE. any bros here want to join me in a GRC? I am bio-ing AMK GRC. hope kuku can come on-board. jah rastafar too.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Time to disband the following parties: SPP; SDA; PPP; RP & SUF. All may be well-meaning and fighting the opposition's cause but realistically, they are weak (financially or otherwise), ill-structured; incompetent and worst of all, fronted by egoistic and self-important chaps singing the same old song of resistance. They are perpetual no-hopers, providing sideshows & street entertainment come election time.

WP SDP & NSP should carry on the fight! :smile:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

LWL as Her/His Majesty?