• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chee - A Man Ahead of his Time

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first time I heard this idiom was just after Chee was defeated by Matthias Yao by a significant margin. Chee garnered 34.9% of votes. It was unexpected as Chee challenged Matthias Yao and then Prime Minister to carve out Macpherson from Marine Parade GRC as an SMC. GCT agreed. The results however was disappointing. The blame was assigned to the voters who apparently the party supporters felt did not understand the man.

That idiom began to serve to 2 purposes. It became the Albatross around Chee's neck who must have believed that it was the residents and the voters who were at fault and not him and his politics. Secondly it gave much comfort and became the security blanket for his followers. They too took solace that voters were again at fault at each and every contest. And it was to continue. It eventually became the party mantra and led to open protests and confrontations to educate the supposedly meek, unsophisticated and unworldly Singaporean on the realities of politics.

It stands together to other well worn local idiom used commonly by poorly performing soccer managers and coaches in Singapore and Malaysia after a defeat - "the ball is round"

The set of alternative policies that was drawn up by dedicated teams made up of members and supporters became the latest manifestation of this idiom. If the open protests did not educate the masses maybe these alternative policies will. It never occurred to them that maybe the voters had issues with SDP as a party, the way they operate and even the quality of their candidates. It did not occur to SDP that they needed to be a worthy and credible contender first before a voter even looks at your detail plans.

Ironically it might actually be the case that the voters were ahead of the times. They knew enough to whack the PAP and bring the Prime Minister to his knees and elicit an unexpected and unprecedented apology and a cry for mercy in 2011. Look at how the voters treated Desmond Lim and Kenneth Jeyaretnam. The fact that the latter was the son of JBJ did not amount to a can of beans. He got 353 votes compared to Lee Lilian who got 16k votes. And mind you KJ has got 1s class honours from Cambridge.

Continue to belittle and berate the Singapore voters and it will cost the party dearly. I expect the Singapore voters to continue to ride the PAP dragon until they see more credible opposition candidates take to the polls.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hogwash analysis. The outcome of election is determined by the PM. The Elections Department reports the PM. Is the PM a fool to concede an election to an opposition politician when there is nothing to gain?

The simple truth is no opposition politician can win without the PM's approval of the result.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Chee is a man ahead of his time leaving all of us far behind. Maybe the man and his ideas can only be understood by Sinkie voters in 2040. By then he will be too old to serve and those of us who are now already in our 60s may not be around to witness it ...

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
All politicians customized their policies towards satisfying the demands of the electorates.

Sdp under csj has this misplaced sense of self entitlement and expect everyone including the voters to conform to the party's set of values. Hence when voters rejected them at poll, they tend to blame everyone except themselves. It the same mentality when sdp deals with other oppositions, how they wrestled sembawang grc from WP in the aftermath of NSF saga. Not forget the pre PEBE drama.

Csj main weakness is he don't know how to deal with people.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Twenty years go even professionals were suggesting that about Chee. Despite the NUS incident the Government and the PAP rated him highly at the time. Thus GCT did the unprecedented thing of taking out a constituency from the GRC to meet his request. There was also the invitation to the Parliamentary Select Committee. Many felt that he could not be ignored. After the select committees hearing debacle, all was lost. It reinforced what had happened at NUS and the character defect.

So adding another 20 years will not make any difference.

Dr Chee is a man ahead of his time leaving all of us far behind. Maybe the man and his ideas can only be understood by Sinkie voters in 2040. By then he will be too old to serve and those of us who are now already in our 60s may not be around to witness it ...

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The true watermark of electorate support for the PAP is 60% as the 2011 GE had so clearly demonstrated. It was at the high point of citizen anger and dissatisfaction over PAP government policies and stumbles. It may go up to 70% again if Lee Hsieng Loong bring out his father's ashes for another state funeral or just down 2% over another Mandarin Gardens covert conquest and that fat cow monkey shitskin woman from IDA spitting in our faces not excluding the MRT going down 12 daylight hours on a weekday.

Last edited:

Cufflinks

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ahead of his time means people don't appreciate him yet? He should have been born later? In any case, he is no worse than some of the clowns currently in office, hahaha...........................

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those Sinkies who are truly ahead of their times have already flew away from the cuckoo's nest ............

A PEOPLE ACCUSTOMED TO LIVING UNDER A PRINCE, IF BY SOME ACCIDENT BECOMES FREE, MAINTAINS ITS LIBERTY WITH DIFFICULTY
(Book I, Chapter XVI of MACHIAVELLI’s Discourses on Livy - this is an abridged version, edited by me)

Many examples from history will show how difficult it is for a people used to living under a Prince (LEEgime) to preserve their liberty after they had by some accident acquired it, as Rome acquired it after driving out the Tarquins. Such difficulty is reasonable, because that people is nothing else other than a brute animal, which although by nature ferocious and wild, has always been brought up in prison and servitude. Later being left by chance free in a field, and not being accustomed to obtain food or not knowing where to find shelter for refuge, becomes prey to the first one who seeks to enchain it again.

This same thing happens to a people, who being accustomed to living under governments of others, not knowing to reason either on public defense or offense, not knowing the LEEgime or being known by them, return readily under a yoke, which often times is more heavy than that which a short time before had been taken from their necks.

To the above should be added another difficulty, which is that the state which becomes free makes enemy partisans, and not friendly partisans. All those men become its enemy partisans who avail themselves of the tyrannical state, feeding on the riches of the LEEgime, and who when they are deprived of the faculty of thus availing themselves, cannot live content, and some are forced to attempt to reestablish the tyranny so as to recover their authority.

It does not, as I have said, acquire friendly partisans, for a free society bestows honours and rewards through the medium of honest and predetermined rules, and outside of which does not honour or reward anyone. When one receives those honours and rewards as appears to them he merits, he does not consider he has any obligation to repay them. With regards to freedom from expropriation and the like in a free society, no one will ever confess himself to have an obligation to one who only does not offend him.

Please feel free to comment.

For the original, see Book I, Chapter XVI of Machiavelli’s Discourses on Livy, available here:

http://www.constitution.org/mac/disclivy1.htm#1:04

[video=youtube;ehPcYibzUKc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehPcYibzUKc[/video]

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dun be stewpig trying to be sarcastic.
He is indeed ahead of his time and over 30% of voters get him. And in BB it was 38.8% of the electorate to be exact.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first time I heard this idiom was just after Chee was defeated by Matthias Yao by a significant margin. Chee garnered 34.9% of votes. It was unexpected as Chee challenged Matthias Yao and then Prime Minister to carve out Macpherson from Marine Parade GRC as an SMC. GCT agreed. The results however was disappointing. The blame was assigned to the voters who apparently the party supporters felt did not understand the man.

That idiom began to serve to 2 purposes. It became the Albatross around Chee's neck who must have believed that it was the residents and the voters who were at fault and not him and his politics. Secondly it gave much comfort and became the security blanket for his followers. They too took solace that voters were again at fault at each and every contest. And it was to continue. It eventually became the party mantra and led to open protests and confrontations to educate the supposedly meek, unsophisticated and unworldly Singaporean on the realities of politics.

It stands together to other well worn local idiom used commonly by poorly performing soccer managers and coaches in Singapore and Malaysia after a defeat - "the ball is round"

The set of alternative policies that was drawn up by dedicated teams made up of members and supporters became the latest manifestation of this idiom. If the open protests did not educate the masses maybe these alternative policies will. It never occurred to them that maybe the voters had issues with SDP as a party, the way they operate and even the quality of their candidates. It did not occur to SDP that they needed to be a worthy and credible contender first before a voter even looks at your detail plans.

Ironically it might actually be the case that the voters were ahead of the times. They knew enough to whack the PAP and bring the Prime Minister to his knees and elicit an unexpected and unprecedented apology and a cry for mercy in 2011. Look at how the voters treated Desmond Lim and Kenneth Jeyaretnam. The fact that the latter was the son of JBJ did not amount to a can of beans. He got 353 votes compared to Lee Lilian who got 16k votes. And mind you KJ has got 1s class honours from Cambridge.

Continue to belittle and berate the Singapore voters and it will cost the party dearly. I expect the Singapore voters to continue to ride the PAP dragon until they see more credible opposition candidates take to the polls.

Blaming the voters is what we do everyday here in the Forum. However, as you have rightly pointed out, the weakness of the SDP is one of tactics. The WP does not have the sophistication, nor the array of policy alternatives of the SDP, but they are in parliament. Chee needs to learn from the great master , LKY, how to achieve power. LKY knew, despite his commanding intellect and self-belief, he could not achieve power without carrying the Chinese educated ground. So he had to work with people like Lim Chin Siong. The SDP needs to do what must be done to get a foothold in parliament. Enduring persecution, along the lines of Aung Sang Su Kyi, means nothing when you do not have strong support of a significant mass of the population.

I give kudos to Chee for building the party. He now needs to step down from the leadership and pass it on to somebody electable. Only then will he see his work come to fruition. Moses led the Israelites to Promised Land but could not enter himself. If Chee passes on the baton, he will always be remembered. It is time to face reality.
If he does not, all his work will die with him.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Blaming the voters is what we do everyday here in the Forum. However, as you have rightly pointed out, the weakness of the SDP is one of tactics. The WP does not have the sophistication, nor the array of policy alternatives of the SDP, but they are in parliament. Chee needs to learn from the great master , LKY, how to achieve power. LKY knew, despite his commanding intellect and self-belief, he could not achieve power without carrying the Chinese educated ground. So he had to work with people like Lim Chin Siong. The SDP needs to do what must be done to get a foothold in parliament. Enduring persecution, along the lines of Aung Sang Su Kyi, means nothing when you do not have strong support of a significant mass of the population.

I give kudos to Chee for building the party. He now needs to step down from the leadership and pass it on to somebody electable. Only then will he see his work come to fruition. Moses led the Israelites to Promised Land but could not enter himself. If Chee passes on the baton, he will always be remembered. It is time to face reality.

Why Chee needs to step down.. Why dun you admit that you dun like that guy to be the leader..

Chee is the leader that can out PAP on check. This is the type of candidate Sg needs..

If everyone is so primitive, SG has no future at all. U people are lucky that there is a person like Chee to push Sg forward.. Instead of thanking him, you suggest he stepped down..? What fuck logic is that..

Dr Chee do not do this for his own self and life.. Sinkies like you only have the concept of life to take care of yourself in everything you do.. I call this total sinkified life.

A higher frequency human being's purpose of work is serve the society while keep his self maintenance to the minimum, which is enough for his survival.

Before you tell Chee to step down, pls do some serious self reflection on yourself first.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why Chee needs to step down.. Why dun you admit that you dun like that guy to be the leader..

Chee is the leader that can out PAP on check. This is the type of candidate Sg needs..

If everyone is so primitive, SG has no future at all. U people are lucky that there is a person like Chee to push Sg forward.. Instead of thanking him, you suggest he stepped down..? What fuck logic is that..

Dr Chee do not do this for his own self and life.. Sinkies like you only have the concept of life to take care of yourself in everything you do.. I call this total sinkified life.

A higher frequency human being's purpose of work is serve the society while keep his self maintenance to the minimum, which is enough for his survival.

Before you tell Chee to step down, pls do some serious self reflection on yourself first.

It is because Sinkies are stupid that Chee needs to step down. Think I have said enough.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Agree with you here.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It is because Sinkies are stupid that Chee needs to step down. Think I have said enough.

Well said. It is not possible to give Singaporeans a political education overnight or even over a decade. With the PAP in control of the schools, the media, and the grassroots organizations, that process can take a generation, if at all it happens.

CSJ however can step down overnight and revitalize SDP overnight. Don't need a decade or a generation.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are some in this thread who claim Chee is "a man ahead of his time" in derogratory terms, one even suggesting that he should pass the baton to another. I think it is they who are getting ahead of themselves. Neither the PAP, nor the WP are showing signs of a clear heir apparent within their respective parties emerging despite their leaders being at the helm for more than a decade. Likewise for sdp. For Chee the results at BB is encouraging. At 39% as party chief, it was the best performance within his party notwithstanding the challenges of this campaign. He will not quit. Elementary! How can you not tell? How old are you folks anyway? :rolleyes:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think his ideas and outlook are ahead of time for Sinkies in general, values like selfless public service and caring for one another. These two points alone put the PAP to shame. He campaigned in BB on these values and I dont think the appeal was lost on all. His NUS past haunted him and the PAP made sure they got the label stuck. He should have come out and admitted his past wrongdoings and asked for forgiveness from the voters, and to be given another chance. He showed earnestness and this doggedness must have gained him the swing of 10% in BBBE.

Look at Murali. In his post results speech, he was hesitant and seemed to be looking to his bosses for the right things to say. Noted that he was a bit tongue tied when asked what he would immed do next. Answer was a lame "I would start tomorrow" without realising that it was Sunday, and then checked himself later and kind of withdraw the promise. I also noticed that he in fact copied many of Dr Chee's phrases....I will always be here..it's at the ground that I can hear you better.. I'll be full time etc...and also in the morning after....got his wife to stand beside him, which Dr Chee did already on results nite and throughout the hustings. I dont think even LKY had to do that.

So in all, I think Dr Chee made an impact such as to swing the 10% or so, and the percentage came out quite close to my and many brothers' 60+/40- prediction...not enough to win but gained ground anyway. The PAP support structure is also strong with all the porlumpar PA activists hives so I would think it was a credible battle win for Chee even tho he lost the war. It is his strongest showing ever.

If I were Chee, I would have whacked the PAP over its selection process...how they always get pple with character flaws like Phey Yew Kok, David Ong & Michael Palmer, not counting older Ministers and MOS in the past. As for being a cheat and a liar, I would also recount LKY being the biggest cheat and liar when he schemed the ISC to get the Brits and the Tengku to round up his mates before Merger and to ask them to hide the fact from the pple and his comrades. The Merger referendum was also rigged to cheat the pple to ensure the result was foregone conclusion. With his influence over the Judiciary, somehow Justice Sinnathuray convicted Tan Wah Piow on the fabricated false evidence of now rogue Phey Yew Kok. Not to mention many many more. So who's the real cheat? Are we saying to cheat politically is OK but cannot apply to civil life?

What the hell? Didnt LKY himself say that politics is about people's lives...yours and mine?

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even if ever a case of Ting Pei Lin fucking an ugly porlumpar (she prefers ugly) young man and a BE is called, CSJ will still garner 40%. Live with it!