• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

37% Swing against all Odds vs 24% needed in Bukit Batok

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chee humiliated the PM and his father in the Singapore Courts during the infamous trial. At that stage he already signed away any hope of entering Parliament as it became personal. Look at what PM's sister said about Chee. It was more penetrating than what the PM ever said. Strategically it was a bad move. You cannot ever come back from something like.

Note how cavalier the PAP has been in this by by-election. Note the number of PAP rallies and the limited number of PAP luminaries involved. Its a well oiled machine. If they thought that Chee was even coming close, everyone from the cabinet to the foot soldiers will be out there and the media would be 10 times working harder. They will spilling the beans about the party.

If Chee was indeed a threat to them, they would not have offered $30k. They would have demanded more than $1m that he and his sister is liable for or continue to leave him in Siberia.

The only hope is that the voters vote against the PAP to tell the PAP that they are not pleased with the policies and the manner that PAP conducts itself. By now you should know that this fight is about the voters and the PAP. Its a proxy fight.

I am sure if it is a win for the PAP regardless whether the margin is only 1% or less, the PAP will laud it as a major victory. You can almost feel the whole Parliament heave a sigh of relief.

And I won't be surprised that PM Lee swiping his sweat, will say in his victory speech, 'Let's put all politicking aside, the BB residents has spoken and let's move on. We will make true to the promises we made to BB residents in the election and serve them wholeheartedly'

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Charlie, I stand corrected.

post edit: He was indeed a President Scholar as well.

Ten reasons why Mah Bow Tan is Singapore’s most hated minister:-

1. Touted as the government’s best brain on how to suck money from Singaporeans, he helmed two ministries – communications and national development and managed to think of innovative ways to make the public cough up huge indirect taxes during his tenure there.

The term Pay and Pay (PAP) was also coined by Singaporeans after seeing how the minister could easily thought of one plan after another to fleece the people ruthlessly.

2. While helming the communications ministry from 1991-1999, he developed the much-scorned ERP system in 1990 which taxed every vehicle that passes through a gantry during peak hour. It started off at the CBD but has since moved down to the inner city area.

It is believed that the ERP system now brings in few hundred millions a year just by putting up gantries to tax car owners passing by a busy area. They also need to pay road tax.

3. He also overseen the hugely-lucrative COE system which is a piece of paper allowing car-owners to buy a vehicle for ten years.

Each month, the government will put up a certain number of COE in the car market and a bidding system follows. At its highest point, some COEs managed to fetch close to $80,000 before the cost of the car is factored in!

In the greater mission of trying to control the number of* vehicles on our congested road, the government manages to think of this huge cash cow which brings in close to $2 billion dollars of COE money yearly into its coffers.

Its still unsure how the government spent all our COE money throughout the past 20 years.

4. While helming national development from 1999 to 2011, Mah introduces a booking system for our BTO flats in order to reduce wastage of new flats.

He tried to tinkle with the property market which saw years of depressing property prices with some 5-room HDB resale flats changing years as low as $300,000.

Many new flats in outlying areas were also unoccupied after TOP then and he believes new couples must show sincerity by placing a small deposit together with a booking fee.

Each couple has to book a flat at certain given location and sometimes the wait can be as long as 5-6 years while the government tries it’s best to build.

The booking system receives alot of flat as the wait is too long and many of them are in faraway places.

Mah was subsequently replaced by the current minister Khaw Boon Wan as housing was a top problem during GE 2011.

5. Mah also did himself no favour when in December 2009 he admiited that he was caught off guard by the huge increase in PRs thus jamming up housing facilities.

Back then, PRs can apply for new housing units if they marry a Singaporean and they could also buy a resale flat immediately from the open market without getting married.

He presided over a very rough property market which saw some HDB flats changing hands at $200,000 to $300,000 above valuation. Most of the buyers are believe to be foreigners holding PRs.

The situation improves when Khaw took over and right now PRs can only buy resale flats after 5 years residing here.

6. Tampines GRC was also touted as a possible election loss in GE 2011 as Mah is every Singaporean’s nightmare – however he managed to garner 57% of the votes over a unknown team from NSP.

He has this to say before election:* “A General Election is not about me, an individual minister or an individual MP. It’s really about the residents themselves … … I offer myself up for election because I believe that I can do the best and the most for them. But ultimately it’s for the residents, the people to decide.”

Immediately after GE 2011, he was retired along with Wong Kan Seng and Raymond Lim.

Nobody misses him or the other two ministers at all.

7. Days prior to GE 2011, Mah tried to vindicate himself by walking through rows of gleaming new HDB BTO flats as the government tried to paint him in a better light on our mainstream media.

However, nobody believed such propaganda anymore as he sweat through the previous general election.

His glaring mistakes in national development have caused hardship to many Singaporeans as he escaped into his comfortable private life.

8. As early as 2007, Mah has already introduced the idea of a 6.5-million population in Singapore in 40-50 years’ time.

He gave an interview to Straits Times on 29 Jun 2007 saying: ‘We’re not compromising, you know. We are keeping to our standards for parks and gardens, our greenery spaces. We are keeping all those standards. We’re not compromising our quality of life. And yet, can we fit this number of people in? The answer is yes.’

He further added that life would be better when the population grows.

9. Known as the deliverer of bad news, Singaporeans quivered whenever Mah made any public announcement – its like he is our doomsday minister out to make our life miserable whenever he opens his mouth.

From the ERP to COE to housing policies, he has never failed to anger many Singaporeans throughout his 20 years’ ministerial career.

In 2000, then Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew singled him out for praise in Parliament, saying that although Mr Mah is ‘not a natural crowd-puller or a mobiliser’, he ‘has judgment’ and ‘is competent and effective’.

I am sure many Singaporeans can’t agree more that he is a very effective robber of the common people.

10. In Sep 2009, while presiding over unpopular steep increase in HDB resale prices, Mah did not try to pacify the people but instead warned Singaporeans that resale flats will continue to rise.

‘The flat prices would probably go up … by 1 per cent, 2 per cent,’ said Mr Mah. ‘It will just keep on going up if the economy recovers as people expect, and if confidence returns but affordability will always be there.’

“We subsidised you when you buy and we increased the value of your flat when you live in it and… facilitate you to monetise it when you grow old. This is the best form of investment and welfare for the people,’ He said while at the launch of the final skybrdge at The Pinnacle@Duxton in Sep 2009.

Its such unbelievable snobbish rhetoria that put many Singaporeans off and probably earned him the title “Singapore’s most hated minister”!

- See more at: http://www.transitioning.org/2015/0...-tan-is-singapores-most-hated-minister/#.dpuf

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I don't understand why Mah is the most hated minister. He won and retained his seat in Tampines GRC each time by a comfortable margin. A hated politician is one that gets ousted from office or loses elections repeatedly, like Chee.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
There will be a by-election effect. Also a slight bit of negative fallout against PAP simply because of David Ong. So Chee should easily surpass the 30% mark. I do not really agree that the heartlanders don't resonate with SDP's message. They have been pounding the ground for a month leading up to Thursday night and as we can see from the rally, people were riled up by the bread and butter issues presented.

However, as winnipegjets has said, negative campaigning works, and the PAP went for the low blow and opened up the old wounds. Elections scores are also not decided on rally speeches and how fiery they were or how excited rally attendees were. If Paul T. or WP had been offered as candidates, I would say closer to 40%. But with CSJ, closer to 32%. Hence my forecast of Murali 68.5% as stated in the BB Gold Cup thread.

Presence of csj probably would negate or weaken the BE effect. CSJ overplayed his victimhood and attempt to use himself as a selling point. He didn't manage to channel attention away to issues which will play to his advantage. Now the whole focus of the BE is more on CSj than national issues, I cant be optimistic with his chance.

hotstuf

1. Also introduced DBSS and premium flats which are essentially overpriced public housing that were scrapped later due to public outcry over exorbitant prices demanded by the private developers.
2. Asked the 2 bus operators to buy million dollar 'bendy' buses that occupy more road space and not costs effective.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't understand why Mah is the most hated minister. He won and retained his seat in Tampines GRC each time by a comfortable margin. A hated politician is one that gets ousted from office or loses elections repeatedly, like Chee.

The Elections Department works for the PM.

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hagen Daz will send van load of tup of ice cream to BB tomorrow evening.

The supplier of HD ice cream in Singapore is Pinedale Pte Ltd, which belongs to the Hotel Properties Group of companies. I think you should know who is the boss of Hotel Properties, the biggest PLP, Mr Ah Beng and Ah Seng who also holds the franchise for the Singapore Grand Prix and developer of Nassim Jade condo. Still want to buy and support HD ice cream?:biggrin:

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A SWING OF 6300 votes can be achieved ....... if 3150 voters were to switch sides.....

3150 persons = a bridge too far........

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A SWING OF 6300 votes can be achieved ....... if 3150 voters were to switch sides.....

3150 persons = a bridge too far........

Bukit Batok doesn't have that many fools. Most sinkies will continue to see through Chee's antics and lies. He isn't even a good actor in trying to portray himself like some sort of Mandela or Dalai Lama.