• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP 3rd Rally Yesterday - an assessment

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is the 82 PAP MPs in Parliament and the entire PAP ministerial cabinet who needs to declare their assets. It is the GIC and Temasek that needs to come clean on how our CPF funds are used for cheap financing. It is the Accountant General's Office who needs to get away from the mentality that it would take 52 man years to list down the assets of the Government of Singapore, and to enforce a wider sense of accountability and transparency through all ranks of the civil service and the public sector. It is the Prime Minister and his wife who need to put to rest the years of secrecy surrounding the management of our sovereign wealth funds and our nation's reserves.

Get you priorities right.

All the PAP mps are the,creme dela creme of white collar professionals and earned their money legitimately,unlike chee who has been a unemployed bum for twenty years.they have been given a clean bill of health last g.e. by the voters.besides I trust tHE PAP when they say they can "ownself check ownself"the PAP symbolises the highest level of integrity and professionalism.I wouldnt trust chee with my wheelchair back turned to him and a flight of stairs.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WP speeches seem more exciting for two reasons: The crowd is bigger (the SDP crowd is big already, but WP's is huge). Secondly, WP veterans are more seasoned politicians who can read the ground very well and articulate in the language of the heartlanders. This is not to disparage SDP's efforts in any way. They have excellent speakers too. But SDP needs time. CSJ only decided to bring SDP back into mainstream politics in 2009 and they will need a few extra years to groom a seasoned core of true political veterans who are not in any way carrying past baggage from the old era with Chiam or with WP.

As for Marjojohn, I told him no uncertain terms he was a PAP lapdog. Shall I page for him?

How to explain why WP MPs are timid mice when they are in Parliament? They are tiam tiam all the time. Only when the PAP whack them, they speak up reluctantly in defence.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All the PAP mps are the,creme dela creme of white collar professionals and earned their money legitimately,unlike chee who has been a unemployed bum for twenty years.they have been given a clean bill of health last g.e. by the voters.besides I trust tHE PAP when they say they can "ownself check ownself"the PAP symbolises the highest level of integrity and professionalism.I wouldnt trust chee with my wheelchair back turned to him and a flight of stairs.

Chee could be a revolution leader.

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I want to know how a decrepit bankrupt like chee manages to feed his family for twenty years when his entire family should be in front of Buddhist temples begging for alms.he needs to declare his assets soon.

Just be fair, get both candidates to declare publicly their assets and incomes!

SarahPeiLing

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Damanhuri Abas telling the people to stop taking the cheap political drugs of the PAP and go political cold turkey for once was sardonically ironical given his racial stereotype. ROTFL

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
He gave a church sermon. You will notice it if you close your eyes and listen.

If you look at WP, even their new candidates can speak reasonably ok.

All long time opposition folks can usually speak well on stage after much experience in my perception.

I often wonder why SDP folks cannot speak and enthrall the audience. It can put me to sleep. John Tan, Wong Souk Yee, Jaslyn Go etc etc all are awful even after so many stints as candidates.

Only CSJ and Tambyah are ok but they can be better.

Just imagine for eg LTK, old folks go there just to listen to his one speech in his native Teochew. After listening to LTK, you cannot help but cheer for him. Spellbound is one word I can say.

I could never cheer that much or be spellbound in SDP rallies.

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiam did gain a seat and retained it many times despite not having a similar setup nor the oratory skills. He however had certain factors going in his favour. I do however agree that WP is streets ahead. Chee's primary challenge is strategy and tactics which translates into how people perceive him and his party as capable politicians. In addition the historical baggage and to avoid the temptation of talking about character. If not the fox and hen will keep coming up

I heard Chiam many times and enjoyed his speeches much. I actually thought his slow delivery and deadpanned humour superb! He is not the fiery type but his manner of delivery resonated much with the local electorate.

He is much loved figure and does not appear to be antsy unlike the past CSJ.

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Low and Chiam know where to draw the line. You cannot remain silent and antagonistic all the time. They are merely following rules of civility. JBJ went a little overboard and he was practically ignored in Parliament's MP's lounge during breaks. Members of the public also expect their conduct to follow similar rules. Chiam was famous for lecturing the Ministers and even Jayakumar had to face him.

Agree much with what is said here..

If you are a politician, you ask yourself what is your ultimate goal.

You ask what you can fight for based on what the electorate is.

If you wish to fight for your ideals not line how the person in the street feels, so be it. But if you do not get elected, do not blame them for not voting for you. They just do not agree.

Politics is how you craft for it and all is fair game. It is difficult at times to figure out the conniving and the manipulations at many moments. LKY is honest and put it straightforward as it is. You think for one moment, the exposure of his family members to the public or last election's media clip by CSJ are not planned. Both sides of the political spectrum play whatever to their advantages.

End of day, I will just take it you have done your job as a politician to build a better place for Singapore. A good politician is one who can manipulate to the best without overly overriding what are deemed as acceptable sensibilities.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Low and Chiam know where to draw the line. You cannot remain silent and antagonistic all the time. They are merely following rules of civility. JBJ went a little overboard and he was practically ignored in Parliament's MP's lounge during breaks. Members of the public also expect their conduct to follow similar rules. Chiam was famous for lecturing the Ministers and even Jayakumar had to face him.

if only JBJ could make a hoard of clones like on SBF,then he wouldnt seem alone during lunchbreak,in fact he would seem massively popular and garnering support from large opposition fanbase,all PAP will find him irresistable and impossible to ignore.

currypuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
That John Tan practically committed SDP to the Pathfinder and the Helping Hearts projects regardless of whether SDP is elected.

So next general election, if SDP was found not have followed through on these, the PAP can turn the tables on them in the same way they turned the tables on Murali's upgrading projects and his statement that they can only be done if he is elected.

Kantang man John Tan's speech, try to ignore his heavy ang moh accent:

http://video.toggle.sg/en/series/rally-highlights-by-election-2016/ep25/399266