• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP Rally Tonite - Link and whether it will be be turning point for SDP

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the current setting I.e heartland estate and BE, rallies are not so important to pap. Pap don't need rally to get their messages across ( no one attend their rally anyway) since msm will parrot what they said and give great prominence in the coverage. But not having rallies doesn't mean pap isn't doing any work on the ground and I suppose they are intensifying their effort by covering every unit in every night while sdp is channelling their resources towards organizing rallies. If pap tactic is about charm offensive, then face to face interaction will be more effective.

So it just different tactic they are adopting.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was a thread "What good came out of the 2015 election" or something to that effect,.....and I couldn't agree more........that is to lay hopes for this country and ppl to rest, and channel whatever engergy that is left on other things.

Part of the 70% that could have made a difference are either, lazy, indifferent, or dumb. Not because they vote the incumbent, but did not display the ability to make the correct choice to help create an effective political structure, that place the civil services as the main pillars....

Today vote pap, other times and situations when need be, vote opposition, to maintain balance....but nope,....go polling station and get it over with,....then see go where shopping and eat what....:biggrin:

Ultimately, the intelligence of voters played a greater part in the election result. I am not sure whether Bukit Batok people possessed that unique intelligence and the gut to vote for Dr Chee. I fear the kiasi sinkie syndrome remained in their bone, which is why I've never wanted look up to 70% voters for hope. In fact, I am beginning to hate Sinkies for being brainwashed since their kindergarten days.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The salary grade and range of Ministers are in public space. Not sure why SDP did not know this and challenged Murali to raise this in public.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Part of the 70% that could have made a difference are either, lazy, indifferent, or dumb. Not because they vote the incumbent, but did not display the ability to make the correct choice to help create an effective political structure, that place the civil services as the main pillars....

Today vote pap, other times and situations when need be, vote opposition, to maintain balance....but nope,....go polling station and get it over with,....then see go where shopping and eat what....:biggrin:

The 70% sinkies loved to vote for PAP, end of the day, they are the one that KPKB the most as compared to the 30% intelligent voters.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, very brave and powerful speech by Dr Chee.

He brought up some very sensitive topics of PAP especially LHL such as Temasek and the reserves.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly I've a bad feeling for the results after listening to Dr Chee's speech tonight, his speech may be too aggressive and could get a nasty reaction from PAP.

Ambulance

Alfrescian
Loyal
initially, i try refraining from commenting on the BB election cos' this forum is branded a trouble maker. but i was too pissed with the personal attacks thrown by lau goh and pinky, and their cronies. i think they behave like tyrants.:oIo:

hahahaha ... cb kia lui bi lang zway eh sai tua sia luan gung wei si boh ... kukubird59

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
When he lost 3 seats he quickly changed tact and increased the number and size of the GRCs, increased the deposit amount. Imagine 6 seat super GRCs and it had nothing to do with minority candidate getting elected.
According to what I heard, it was Old Fart who put pressure on GCT to adopt such measures. GCT couldn't have come up with such ideas.
Uses old man to whack Catherine Lim and then the OB markers.
On the contrary it was Old Fart who insisted in showing to Sinkies what he could do to those who disagree with him.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Come to think of it maybe better to get the Old Man back from his grave.
Grave? What grave? He'd been reduced to a pile of ashes, no?

If you believe in karma, reincarnation AND divine retribution, he's now a 1-year-old Ah Neh baby boy in some ulu village in India.

blueRad

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been watching the past few rallies by SDP and there are several points thay I can conclude.

Paul tambyah, like Chee is more of an academician than politician. His speeches and proposed policies just show how much of a space cadet he is in politics. Attacking Chee' past is not gutter politics and nor a personal attack especially if they are true. It goes into the heart of what Chee is and whether the public can entrust him with public office.

More SDP shouls take a cue from Neo Swee Lin. Though her speech is short, it is sweet, concise and friendly to the man on the street.

Their unemployment insurance is clearly unsustainable no matter how you look at it. 18 months is a really long time for unemployment insurance. Not even S Korea and Japan has such a long period.

WP argument for UI makes more sense and probably easier to swallow. You mean I can just put in $2 per month from my cpf oa account every month and I am protected from retrenchment? Sign me up.

And the rallies just show how SDP is really all about Chee. There are really good candidates like Jaslyn Go with her rag to riches stories that probably inspire the man on the street.

I always believed that SDP plays an important role in society by being a liberal party. Liberals are important in every society and unfortunately the best liberal party Singapore got is SDP. What a pity.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly I've a bad feeling for the results after listening to Dr Chee's speech tonight, his speech may be too aggressive and could get a nasty reaction from PAP.

Is show-hand time for CSJ. From GE 2015, looks like a big chunk of the 70% are BB voters. If, touchwood, CSJ Cannot get into parliament this BE, that's probably very telling isn't?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Chee did well. He chose his words carefully. The Government has to respond to the issues that Chee raised. They cannot duck these.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think they are shaping well and are more focused. I did note that he stopped making claims on things that no opposition MP can deliver. Agree of New Swee Lin. The Letter that she read out which were circuited to the media was also good. It says the people outside SDP and an important segment of society - Arts and Culture are not impressed with the PAP tactics.

Though it is an uphill task to prise the PAP out of their stronghold, it gave the SDP the positive limelight which they never enjoyed in the past.

I have been watching the past few rallies by SDP and there are several points thay I can conclude.

Paul tambyah, like Chee is more of an academician than politician. His speeches and proposed policies just show how much of a space cadet he is in politics. Attacking Chee' past is not gutter politics and nor a personal attack especially if they are true. It goes into the heart of what Chee is and whether the public can entrust him with public office.

More SDP shouls take a cue from Neo Swee Lin. Though her speech is short, it is sweet, concise and friendly to the man on the street.

Their unemployment insurance is clearly unsustainable no matter how you look at it. 18 months is a really long time for unemployment insurance. Not even S Korea and Japan has such a long period.

WP argument for UI makes more sense and probably easier to swallow. You mean I can just put in $2 per month from my cpf oa account every month and I am protected from retrenchment? Sign me up.

And the rallies just show how SDP is really all about Chee. There are really good candidates like Jaslyn Go with her rag to riches stories that probably inspire the man on the street.

I always believed that SDP plays an important role in society by being a liberal party. Liberals are important in every society and unfortunately the best liberal party Singapore got is SDP. What a pity.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
looks like it will be a closer fight. my earlier 65.58% for Murali needs adjustment. I reckon he will still win but closer to 58%.

Latest, PAP will be happy with anything above 60%. The race factor will be blamed if they don't get 65%.

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same sentiment. I expect a swing of 10%-15% from previous BB election result. This will bring PAP's margin to 55-58% only. Punggol's by-election is only a 10% swing down from 55%+. LLL had so much visibility and it was as though she campaigned twice as long as KPK whom nobody knew.

The vote is to be won on the ground and not rallies at all. If you can improve your rallies to cater to the heartlanders, you can score more brownie points but unfortunately I still do not see them - still the english educated mentality type of talk.

MIW makes a very very bad tactical error. They announced David Ong's resignation too early and delayed the BB's election date far too long.

This gives so much time to SDP to campaign which started immediately after David Ong announced his resignation. Go shake hands and hug babies - the more you are seen and likeable, the more people are inclined to give you a chance.

Bringing your family to campaign with you, CSJ, is probably the best tactic you have especially to answer for your character issue. It is a vote winner and helps tremendously when you see you are a responsible parent with great children. Secondly, the rebuilding of SDP's brand in line with electorate's perception is gathering momentum and the liberals in the party are not in the front sight. Gone are the liberals' pet issues that matter little to the heartlanders.

It is all about cost of living and getting a government to be more responsive - and as long as you are prepared to go the extra mile of sacrifice for the rakyat, you have a very strong chance.

CSJ, you should have been in parliament long ago if not for your past naivete. Now it is a different strategy and I think you have a chance to achieve your dreams one day, perhaps not in BB this time round. You can be sure if you stand for BB next time, your margins will go up. It is the same story like Chiam See Tong, Low Thia Kiang - they won in heartlands and just stay in that area and keep getting your visibility exposed to all and eventually, there will be enough to give you a chance. The heartlanders are dying for a chance to give someone such an opportunity.

Attachments

• chee-soon-juan-family.jpg
    chee-soon-juan-family.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 279