• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

92 Year-Old Woman Works At McDonald's Because She Is Bored!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ST_20160501_SYLABOUR01_2258485.jpg

The wrinkles on her face may indicate her age, but her eyes give nothing away. Bright and full of life, it is hard to believe that Madam Goh Gwek Eng is McDonald's oldest employee.

The 92-year-old, who lived through the Japanese Occupation, has been working at the fast food chain for the past 18 years.

With five children, 10 grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren, Madam Goh was kept busy as a housewife for a large part of her life.

"Now that most of them are working or have their own families, the house is very quiet," said Madam Goh.

When the boredom became too much, she sought help from a granddaughter who found her a job at a McDonald's outlet at Bedok Interchange in 1998. The restaurant is 20 minutes' walk from her home.

At McDonald's, Madam Goh's years of experience in the kitchen came in handy.

She picked up the skills with no difficulty, and became adept at preparing anything on the menu.

On the challenges she faces at work, she said "frying fries is the most difficult, as I get very hot from standing in front of the fryer".

Fortunately, help is available.

She said: "My colleagues help me when they see me carrying heavy things or when I can't keep up with orders." Though her job may be repetitive and physically draining, Madam Goh enjoys what she does as it keeps her active.

"I plan to keep working for as long as I am healthy," she said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/at-92-shes-mcdonalds-oldest-employee

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This proves that the PAP is right when it says people should not retire if they are still capable of working.

I'm sure she is far happier working than leading and empty and sedentary life in an old folk's home. In the West nobody would hire her and she'd spend her dying days lonely, miserable and unproductive.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow, she outlived your ah gong! Too bad your ah gong despised a McDonald's job and was contented to receive his 16K MP salary for doing nothing at home.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This proves that the PAP is right when it says people should not retire if they are still capable of working.

I'm sure she is far happier working than leading and empty and sedentary life in an old folk's home. In the West nobody would hire her and she'd spend her dying days lonely, miserable and unproductive.

Will the first PAP MP accept that kind of salary and keep working until die? I have to believe what you said is true if it is provened by MP willing to accept that kind of job and stop whinning about their million dollars paycut.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Wow, she outlived your ah gong! Too bad your ah gong despised a McDonald's job and was contented to receive his 16K MP salary for doing nothing at home.

The 16K is not a salary it is an allowance that is used to fund the activities required to run the ward.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Foreigners keep asking me, why old people in Singapore are still working?

I dunno if I got the courage to answer them that they are bored at home so they work.

Sounds very ambivalent and insensitive.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I dunno if I got the courage to answer them that they are bored at home so they work.

What's wrong with telling the truth? Please follow your Lord's teachings.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ST_20160501_SYLABOUR01_2258485.jpg

The wrinkles on her face may indicate her age, but her eyes give nothing away. Bright and full of life, it is hard to believe that Madam Goh Gwek Eng is McDonald's oldest employee.

The 92-year-old, who lived through the Japanese Occupation, has been working at the fast food chain for the past 18 years.

With five children, 10 grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren, Madam Goh was kept busy as a housewife for a large part of her life.

"Now that most of them are working or have their own families, the house is very quiet," said Madam Goh.

When the boredom became too much, she sought help from a granddaughter who found her a job at a McDonald's outlet at Bedok Interchange in 1998. The restaurant is 20 minutes' walk from her home.

At McDonald's, Madam Goh's years of experience in the kitchen came in handy.

She picked up the skills with no difficulty, and became adept at preparing anything on the menu.

On the challenges she faces at work, she said "frying fries is the most difficult, as I get very hot from standing in front of the fryer".

Fortunately, help is available.

She said: "My colleagues help me when they see me carrying heavy things or when I can't keep up with orders." Though her job may be repetitive and physically draining, Madam Goh enjoys what she does as it keeps her active.

"I plan to keep working for as long as I am healthy," she said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/at-92-shes-mcdonalds-oldest-employee

At age 92, she is still healthy and alert, no amount of money can buy that. As long as she is happy doing it, why not......

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
she should have opt for volunteering work instead. the paid job leave to student for learning experience.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Unlike the west where weather is cool. Older people can indulge in various outdoor activities in their retirement. In our climate, can only stay indoors and watch tv,

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

yes, she should be made an MP, collect $17K a month does not need to attend any lumparleement session, get 2 gurkas to guard her 1 room flat and everyone else to give a standing ovation as her nissan bluebird is chauffered into the full parade on national day.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Her children and grandchildren must be those welfare cases or likely drug addicts inside DRCs.
This is so fucked up on so many levels.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No, she chose to "exercise" daily, what is so wrong about that?

old pple are very fragile, one slight fall will break their bones. my great grandma fell in toilet and passed away, she was also in her nineties then.