• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Greedy Sinkies Want More Money Despite Land Acquisition Act Paying Them Market Value!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
sin-aik.jpg

SINGAPORE: The Singapore Land Authority (SLA) is initiating proceedings to take possession of a walk-up building which needs to be demolished so that one of the stations on the Thomson-East Coast Line can be built.

The property in question is a nine-unit walk-up building along Tanjong Katong Road, the SLA said in a press release on Saturday (Apr 30). Two owners of five of the units - Mr Sim Chiang Lee and his family and company, who own four units, and Mr Cheng Quek Hin, who owns one - have refused to hand them over unless the SLA agrees to more compensation, it added.

The owners were compensated between S$1.44 million and S$1.62 million for each unit, which equates to S$1,009-S$1,082 per square foot, SLA said. These amounts were "market value", as determined by independent private valuers.

SLA also said that it has offered various assistance measures to help the owners relocate. These include paying them 80 per cent of the statutory compensation in advance, waiving housing loan restrictions, and priority balloting for an HDB flat if they are eligible.

The owners were given 18 months and an extension of two further months, up to Apr 29, to hand over the acquired properties, so that construction work on the Amber Station can start. However, the owners want more compensation.

Channel NewsAsia visited the building on Tuesday afternoon and spoke to Mr Sim, whose four units include an attached shophouse unit, Sin Aik Provision Store. The shop was fully stocked and bustling with shoppers living in the area, with no indication that it would be shut down or relocate by the Apr 29 deadline. When approached, Mr Sim said the amount offered by the Government is too low.

Speaking in Mandarin, he said: "You have to consider the market price here. It's about S$1,700 and S$1,800 per square foot but how much are they paying? If you consider Joo Chiat, the old houses there are very cheap. If you consider Yio Chu Kang, there it's even cheaper. They should charge the rate here."

The other owner, Mr Cheng, said he has been living in the Tanjong Katong area for about 50 years. He retired about 20 years ago, has been living in his unit since 1970 and said he has nowhere else to go.

He said: "This property is sitting on a lease of 9,999 years. Almost freehold, not even 999 years. It's been good staying here. This area, if they pay us S$3 million, I can look for property in the area. I cannot afford to buy a landed property in this location. They are worth about S$4 million or more.”

SLA said it has explained to the owners that the handover process is separate from the compensation appeal. If they want more compensation, they can appeal and that process will not be affected in any way by their handing over of the units.

To avoid further delay to the construction of the Amber Station, SLA said it would take over legal ownership on Apr 29 after paying the compensation amount.

If the owners do not vacate the units, SLA will initiate proceedings under the State Lands Encroachments Act to enforce possession, it said. A notice will be given to the owners on May 3 and they will have another 28 days till May 31 to vacate the units. If they still refuse to move, SLA will apply for a court order to take over the units.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/sla-moves-to-take/2744210.html?cid=fbsg

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Greedy Sinkies Want More Money Despite Land Acquisition Act Paying Them Market Va

ya right!

the real greedy ones are those pap cronies. i remembered when i was a kid, they repossessed my businessman father's shop houses and factories, in the name of redevelopment, to build HDB flats for other citizens. my father at that time admire lky a lot and so he thought he can help him, he accepted the meagre compensation. in the end, they sold the land to a private developer and build a condominium at kim seng rd. this is nothing but the tooth on lky's policies. the true light on PAP government is actually a communist one if you really think about it.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Greedy Sinkies Want More Money Despite Land Acquisition Act Paying Them Market Va

That's why they want to build the line through the natural reserve, there is no such issues.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

ya right!

the real greedy ones are those pap cronies. i remembered when i was a kid, they repossessed my businessman father's shop houses and factories, in the name of redevelopment, to build HDB flats for other citizens. my father at that time admire lky a lot and so he thought he can help him, he accepted the meagre compensation. in the end, they sold the land to a private developer and build a condominium at kim seng rd. this is nothing but the tooth on lky's policies. the true light on PAP government is actually a communist one if you really think about it.

Thank you for sharing your predicament. I thought only malays were short changed in land acquisitions.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

That's why they want to build the line through the natural reserve, there is no such issues.

These greedy owners will have far lesser compensation if old fart is in charge. They should count themselves bless that they are born and managed by the PAPs.

Now it is time to show and pledge their commitment to the ever benevolent and masterful PAP administration, they should have give it up for free.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal

Greed is good! Gorden Gecko once said!

Real Market economy is where the seller sets the price not the buyer.

At least the buyer is willing to sell.

If the buyer is not willing to sell you die cock stand. Because he will sabotage your project plan.

Pay him lah cheapskate PAP garmen!

Surely you can afford it with unlimited supply of taxpayers monies!

You can even send that seller a bigger tax bill during the next IRAS audit! Hee!

Last edited: